Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI system is a joke.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May have answered my question lol. can I apply for springboard now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Actually springboard is no good .. As far as I know you can't pick courses you want. I want to do a legal course this year but they won't pay my fees for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

After a hectic few days I finally got into contact with my parents.

My mother is working full time while my father is working full time. What is the most they can earn under susi criteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok so for whatever reason my parents won't give me there pps number. SUSI application closes on 1st August and I have no idea what I am going to do. Time is ticking fast and without my parents PPS number I cannot apply. The whole system is a joke considering i've nothing got to do with my parents as i'm living with my girlfriend since Feb 2013 which I could prove. Looks like i'll have to sit on the dole for the next 2 years considering i'm not eligible for any sort of grant of SUSI and i'm in no position to pay fees as i'm unemployed.

• Advertisement

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Ok so for whatever reason my parents won't give me there pps number. SUSI application closes on 1st August and I have no idea what I am going to do. Time is ticking fast and without my parents PPS number I cannot apply. The whole system is a joke considering i've nothing got to do with my parents as i'm living with my girlfriend since Feb 2013 which I could prove. Looks like i'll have to sit on the dole for the next 2 years considering i'm not eligible for any sort of grant of SUSI and i'm in no position to pay fees as i'm unemployed.

did you explain the situation to your parents?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

did you explain the situation to your parents?

Yes and they won't give me there PPS number.

Really don't know what to do now. Seriously depressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shannore

I wouldn't dismiss Springboard without finding out what courses are available first. As far as I know it's focused on courses that lead to a realistic chance of getting a job in the current labour market. Look up the courses available on the Springboard website.

Shannore wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss Springboard without finding out what courses are available first. As far as I know it's focused on courses that lead to a realistic chance of getting a job in the current labour market. Look up the courses available on the Springboard website.

I've checked the springboard website and all the courses listed for DKIT are only part time. I've my heart set on the course I've got accepted into which is year 2 business and administration however it doesn't look as though I'll be able to go ahead with my studies because of SUSI and there ridiculous rules. Because my GF is 23 she is classed as an independent candidate and therefore is eligible to the grant but because I'm 21 I'm classed as dependant on parents/ guardians. My patents won't give me there PPS number so therefore I'll have to sit at home on the dole and try and get a job which is really hard to come by.

Seriously disillusioned and depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My OH is in a similar situation. He is 30 and hasn't lived at home for 12 years (he lives with me in my dads house) and cos he doesn't have a rent agreement or a utility bill in his name, they won't class him as an independent adult and told him to apply as dependent on his parents, which he isn't! But we were advised to see a solicitor and get them to write up an affidavit confirming that he is not dependent on his parents, and another one confirming that he is an independent adult at my dads address. I think each affidavit costs about €70. Hope this helps

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    My OH is in a similar situation. He is 30 and hasn't lived at home for 12 years (he lives with me in my dads house) and cos he doesn't have a rent agreement or a utility bill in his name, they won't class him as an independent adult and told him to apply as dependent on his parents, which he isn't! But we were advised to see a solicitor and get them to write up an affidavit confirming that he is not dependent on his parents, and another one confirming that he is an independent adult at my dads address. I think each affidavit costs about €70. Hope this helps

Cheers.

Would this work if I got a solicitors letter proving I'm not dependant on my parents? I have utility bills etc to prove this?

I think so, yes. It seems you can prove you're living independently but it's just that you're below the age limit for what SUSI thinks an independent should be (totally ridiculous IMO). A solicitor should be able to help. Barring that, you could ring your local TD and ask them to help you out, or write to the Minister for Education. This is advice my OH was given over his situation. If you do send them an affidavit, send it by registered post. Apparently they're notorious for "losing" documentation.

Cheers.

Would this work if I got a solicitors letter proving I'm not dependant on my parents? I have utility bills etc to prove this?

No - because you are under 23

The only option is if you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents.

Terry Pratchet

Spent most of the day on the phone to SUSI and explained my situation and the woman on the phone said that because my parents won't give me there PPS number as long as I get a Solicitors letter explaining my situation and prove off utilites etc I should be ok.

Fingers crossed!!

Spent most of the day on the phone to SUSI and explained my situation and the woman on the phone said that because my parents won't give me there PPS number as long as I get a Solicitors letter explaining my situation and prove off utilites etc I should be ok.

Fingers crossed!!

I'm not convinced.

Terry Pratchet

Sounds good to me. Can't be a situation they've never dealt with :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shannore

If you're under 23 your parents are expected to support you in college, whatever your living arrangements, so you'll be assessed on their income unless you can prove that you're irreconcilably estranged from them.

If you're over 23, you need to be able to prove that you have been living independently of your parents for a time before starting college.

rawn wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Can't be a situation they've never dealt with :/

Their rules are rigid though. I am not convinced this will work.

Terry Pratchet

Their rules are rigid though. I am not convinced this will work.

A friend of mine fought them for a year to get the grant. They're stubborn, but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

Hi guys! My parents are on quite high income but are saying they will not support me in college! I only qualify for 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution but am I entitled to free fees anyway since it is my first undergraduate course an I am an Irish citizen?

• Advertisement

Hi guys! My parents are on quite high income but are saying they will not support me in college! I only qualify for 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution but am I entitled to free fees anyway since it is my first undergraduate course an I am an Irish citizen?

queenie154 wrote: »

Well yes

Once you meet all the criteria you get free tuition fees

Terry Pratchet

Well yes

Once you meet all the criteria you get free tuition fees

Thank you, I posted a thread about this earlier and one person kept telling me that I wasn't entitled to anything because of my parents income! Which confused me as I didnt think income was considered in the free fees initiative:/

Advertisement