Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUSI system is a joke.

• 13-07-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

After I completed my Leaving Cert in 2010 I studied a Level 7 Computing course in DKIT however I dropped out after first year. I was awarded a student grant (fees were paid for and I got money each academic month)

Last year I studied a level 6 FETAC awarded course and recently I got offered a place in Year 2 of a Buisness and Administration course (Level 7) in DKIT. I went onto the Susi website to apply for a grant I am eligible for BTEA and all I need is my fees paid for but according to the SUSI website I am "dependant on a parent/guardian" when in actual fact I am not. I am now 21 years of age and have been co-habitating with my girlfriend since Feb 2013. We both rent an apartment and have our own bills (eircom, electric ireland etc) we are both getting JSA and I am in no way relaint on my parents as I do not live at home.

I am just wondering if there is anyway I can change my status from "dependant on a parent/guaridan" to "independant adult" as I am an independant adult as I have already stated above.

If my status can't be changed then I am not be going to college as I am not in employment at all and I have little or no contact with my parents so basically if I can't get my college fees paid I will not be going to college.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

If you are under 23, you are assessed as a dependent,thats just the rules,hope you find help
    If you were not residing with your parents as of october last year,then you are classified as independent,compile as much proof as you can and re apply, edited after rereading your op
    OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    After I completed my Leaving Cert in 2010 I studied a Level 7 Computing course in DKIT however I dropped out after first year. I was awarded a student grant (fees were paid for and I got money each academic month)

Last year I studied a level 6 FETAC awarded course and recently I got offered a place in Year 2 of a Buisness and Administration course (Level 7) in DKIT. I went onto the Susi website to apply for a grant I am eligible for BTEA and all I need is my fees paid for but according to the SUSI website I am "dependant on a parent/guardian" when in actual fact I am not. I am now 21 years of age and have been co-habitating with my girlfriend since Feb 2013. We both own an apartment and have our own bills (eircom, electric ireland etc) we are both getting JSA and I am in no way relaint on my parents as I do not live at home.

I am just wondering if there is anyway I can change my status from "dependant on a parent/guaridan" to "independant adult" as I am an independant adult as I have already stated above.

If my status can't be changed then I am not be going to college as I am not in employment at all and I have little or no contact with my parents so basically if I can't get my college fees paid I will not be going to college.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

maneno wrote: »
    If you are under 23, you are assessed as a dependent,thats just the rules,hope you find help

Can you reccomend any alternatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

You are entitled to be classified as independent because you have lived with your girlfriend as of feb last year,if you have any bills etc, i suggest you send it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Its possible to be assessed independently if you can prove that you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents.

maneno wrote: »
    You are entitled to be classified as independent because you have lived with your girlfriend as of feb last year,if you have any bills etc, i suggest you send it to them

Yes I have been living with my girlfriend since Feb 13 and I can prove this as we have been getting Rent Allowance since then.

• Advertisement

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Its possible to be assessed independently if you can prove that you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents.

I do not want to be going down that route if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is no alternative because you are under 23 you cannot be classed as independent. There are 2 alternatives 1 to be assessed on your parents income, 2 to prove you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

There is no alternative because you are under 23 you cannot be classed as independent. There are 2 alternatives 1 to be assessed on your parents income, 2 to prove you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents

Double post

That is a complete and utter joke considering I have not been living at home since Feb 2013 which as I said above I can prove.

I have barely if ever seen my parents since then however I do not want to be going down the irreconcilably estranged route as things could get messy.

Looks like I won't be going to college now!!

Is there any other alternatives to getting the fees paid?

• Advertisement

Could you get assessed on your parents income?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Could you get assessed on your parents income?

Doubt it the last I heard from them they were both working full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You're eligible for the Free Fees scheme on your tuition fees, so the only thing you'll need to pay is the levy (€204, and not covered by any grant) and student contribution (€2,750, covered by a fee grant).

Income limits for the student contribution part of a fee grant are quite high at approximately €50k per annum for 100%, and €55k for 50%, so there's a reasonable chance your parents' incomes fall below this.

Failing that you could get a loan. €2,750 isn't a lot to pay back over a year, depending on your circumstances.

maki wrote: »
    You're eligible for the Free Fees scheme on your tuition fees, so the only thing you'll need to pay is the levy (€204, and not covered by any grant) and student contribution (€2,750, covered by a fee grant).

Income limits for the student contribution part of a fee grant are quite high at approximately €50k per annum for 100%, and €55k for 50%, so there's a reasonable chance your parents' incomes fall below this.

Failing that you could get a loan. €2,750 isn't a lot to pay back over a year, depending on your circumstances.

Where do I apply for the free fees scheme? And can I apply as a independent student?

Where do I apply for the free fees scheme? And can I apply as a independent student?

You don't need to apply for it. If you're eligible you'll get it automatically, as you would have done in first year.

You don't need to apply for it. If you're eligible you'll get it automatically, as you would have done in first year.

When I was in first year in DKIT back in 2010 I was receiving the maintenance grant.

When I was in first year in DKIT back in 2010 I was receiving the maintenance grant.

Maintenance grant doesn't cover fees.
    You got your tuition fees paid under the Free Fees scheme; everyone does.

Maintenance grant doesn't cover fees.
    You got your tuition fees paid under the Free Fees scheme; everyone does.

So what do I do ? Do I just start college normally in September and tell them I'm eligible for the free fees scheme?

Under the free fees scheme my fees are paid for and all I have to pay is €206

So what do I do ? Do I just start college normally in September and tell them I'm eligible for the free fees scheme?

Under the free fees scheme my fees are paid for and all I have to pay is €206

Yes, but they'll only cover tuition fees.
    You'll need to pay the €204 levy yourself, and either get a fee grant from SUSI (or a loan) to cover the remaining €2,750 student contribution fee, which isn't covered by the free fees scheme.

To clarify, there are 3 parts to fees:
    Tuition (covered by free fees scheme or fee grant)
    Student Contribution (covered by grant)
    Levy (not covered)

Yes, but they'll only cover tuition fees.
    You'll need to pay the €204 levy yourself, and either get a fee grant from SUSI (or a loan) to cover the remaining €2,750 student contribution fee, which isn't covered by the free fees scheme.

That's no use tbh I will not be able to get a fee grant from SUSi as I cannot be classed as an independent application.

Cheers anyway though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Have you looked into back to education allowance at all?

Doubt it the last I heard from them they were both working full time.

Ok but that doesnt mean you would be ineligible. When would they have started working?

Terry Pratchet

chinacup wrote: »
    Have you looked into back to education allowance at all?

I am eligible for BTEA but that's not the problem the problem is the fees. I would not be in a financial position to pay the fees.

Last I seen of them they were working and that was around 18 months ago and they were working 18 months prior to that.

I am eligible for BTEA but that's not the problem the problem is the fees. I would not be in a financial position to pay the fees.

Last I seen of them they were working and that was around 18 months ago and they were working 18 months prior to that.

Could you speak to them?

Terry Pratchet

Theres a few different options

1 Try and pay the fees in instalments
    2 See if you can get help from a charity such as the vincent de paul
    3 Look for a bank loan or credit union loan
    4 Ask the students union if they can help or give any advice.

Terry Pratchet

Theres a few different options

1 Try and pay the fees in instalments
    2 See if you can get help from a charity such as the vincent de paul
    3 Look for a bank loan or credit union loan
    4 Ask the students union if they can help or give any advice.

Ok thank you.

Is there no way at all I could be classed as an independant adult? Considering that's what I am without going down the irreconcilably estranged route?

Ok thank you.

Is there no way at all I could be classed as an independant adult? Considering that's what I am without going down the irreconcilably estranged route?

Thats the only way and to do that you need letters from the gardai and the hse I think.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Oh ya forgot you have to still apply for the grant for the fee component.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Also your status this year will be the one that applies for all future year if I'am not mistaken. So if you are deemed dependent this year, you will be until you finish your current course of study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Shannore

If you're unemployed, you can apply for a college place under the Springboard programme. It's completely free (no tuition fees or student contribution) and you can continue to get your unemployment payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May have answered my question lol. can I apply for springboard now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Actually springboard is no good .. As far as I know you can't pick courses you want. I want to do a legal course this year but they won't pay my fees for that..

After a hectic few days I finally got into contact with my parents.

My mother is working full time while my father is working full time. What is the most they can earn under susi criteria?

Terry Pratchet

Ok so for whatever reason my parents won't give me there pps number. SUSI application closes on 1st August and I have no idea what I am going to do. Time is ticking fast and without my parents PPS number I cannot apply. The whole system is a joke considering i've nothing got to do with my parents as i'm living with my girlfriend since Feb 2013 which I could prove. Looks like i'll have to sit on the dole for the next 2 years considering i'm not eligible for any sort of grant of SUSI and i'm in no position to pay fees as i'm unemployed.

• Advertisement

Ok so for whatever reason my parents won't give me there pps number. SUSI application closes on 1st August and I have no idea what I am going to do. Time is ticking fast and without my parents PPS number I cannot apply. The whole system is a joke considering i've nothing got to do with my parents as i'm living with my girlfriend since Feb 2013 which I could prove. Looks like i'll have to sit on the dole for the next 2 years considering i'm not eligible for any sort of grant of SUSI and i'm in no position to pay fees as i'm unemployed.

did you explain the situation to your parents?

Terry Pratchet

did you explain the situation to your parents?

Yes and they won't give me there PPS number.

Really don't know what to do now. Seriously depressed!

I wouldn't dismiss Springboard without finding out what courses are available first. As far as I know it's focused on courses that lead to a realistic chance of getting a job in the current labour market. Look up the courses available on the Springboard website.

Shannore wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss Springboard without finding out what courses are available first. As far as I know it's focused on courses that lead to a realistic chance of getting a job in the current labour market. Look up the courses available on the Springboard website.

I've checked the springboard website and all the courses listed for DKIT are only part time. I've my heart set on the course I've got accepted into which is year 2 business and administration however it doesn't look as though I'll be able to go ahead with my studies because of SUSI and there ridiculous rules. Because my GF is 23 she is classed as an independent candidate and therefore is eligible to the grant but because I'm 21 I'm classed as dependant on parents/ guardians. My patents won't give me there PPS number so therefore I'll have to sit at home on the dole and try and get a job which is really hard to come by.

Seriously disillusioned and depressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My OH is in a similar situation. He is 30 and hasn't lived at home for 12 years (he lives with me in my dads house) and cos he doesn't have a rent agreement or a utility bill in his name, they won't class him as an independent adult and told him to apply as dependent on his parents, which he isn't! But we were advised to see a solicitor and get them to write up an affidavit confirming that he is not dependent on his parents, and another one confirming that he is an independent adult at my dads address. I think each affidavit costs about €70. Hope this helps

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    My OH is in a similar situation. He is 30 and hasn't lived at home for 12 years (he lives with me in my dads house) and cos he doesn't have a rent agreement or a utility bill in his name, they won't class him as an independent adult and told him to apply as dependent on his parents, which he isn't! But we were advised to see a solicitor and get them to write up an affidavit confirming that he is not dependent on his parents, and another one confirming that he is an independent adult at my dads address. I think each affidavit costs about €70. Hope this helps

Cheers.

Would this work if I got a solicitors letter proving I'm not dependant on my parents? I have utility bills etc to prove this?

I think so, yes. It seems you can prove you're living independently but it's just that you're below the age limit for what SUSI thinks an independent should be (totally ridiculous IMO). A solicitor should be able to help. Barring that, you could ring your local TD and ask them to help you out, or write to the Minister for Education. This is advice my OH was given over his situation. If you do send them an affidavit, send it by registered post. Apparently they're notorious for "losing" documentation.

Cheers.

Would this work if I got a solicitors letter proving I'm not dependant on my parents? I have utility bills etc to prove this?

No - because you are under 23

The only option is if you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents.

Terry Pratchet

Spent most of the day on the phone to SUSI and explained my situation and the woman on the phone said that because my parents won't give me there PPS number as long as I get a Solicitors letter explaining my situation and prove off utilites etc I should be ok.

Fingers crossed!!

Spent most of the day on the phone to SUSI and explained my situation and the woman on the phone said that because my parents won't give me there PPS number as long as I get a Solicitors letter explaining my situation and prove off utilites etc I should be ok.

Fingers crossed!!

I'm not convinced.

Terry Pratchet

Sounds good to me. Can't be a situation they've never dealt with :/

If you're under 23 your parents are expected to support you in college, whatever your living arrangements, so you'll be assessed on their income unless you can prove that you're irreconcilably estranged from them.

If you're over 23, you need to be able to prove that you have been living independently of your parents for a time before starting college.

rawn wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Can't be a situation they've never dealt with :/

Their rules are rigid though. I am not convinced this will work.

Terry Pratchet

Their rules are rigid though. I am not convinced this will work.

A friend of mine fought them for a year to get the grant. They're stubborn, but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

Hi guys! My parents are on quite high income but are saying they will not support me in college! I only qualify for 50% tuition fees and 100% student contribution but am I entitled to free fees anyway since it is my first undergraduate course an I am an Irish citizen?

• Advertisement
Advertisement