Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Bargains

• 01-10-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Lidl Motor Madness next Monday the 5th. Given the recent topic on emergency car kits, there is a hi-vis vest at €2.99 and jump leads at €12.99.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=610

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Lidl Motor Madness next Monday the 5th. Given the recent topic on emergency car kits, there is a hi-vis vest at €2.99 and jump leads at €12.99.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=610

I wouldn't trust those jump leads to start my lawnmower ;)

I will be picking up some 10W 40 though, it's time my son learnt how to service his car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

pred racer wrote: »

Worked grand out for me when jump starting the friend's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The torque wrench is a good shout, the jack and stands are fine, but you can do better for not much more. And as above I'd leave the jumper cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Worked grand out for me when jump starting the friend's car.

Good for you, when they melt (which they will) and short out your or your friends battery, guess what I'm going to say :p

Been there, luckily the only problem it caused was the smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I got the jump leads before. Never again. Leave them there is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I have those axle stands from couple of years ago - perfect little yokes. Will have to remember to pick up some 10W40 and wheel trim set (saves me cleaning and respraying the ones I have)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭cletus

I picked up a set of jumpleads from either lidl or aldi, but they were pretty heavy, much heavier than the ones in the link appear. They also have a little box that both cables run through with a little led that lights up (not sure what the purpose is tbh) but they have jumped everything from a fiesta to a transit with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have had good success with those jump leads, I have used them about 4 times now and never had any problems with them heating or melting.
    I guess it depends on how many amps you are putting through them.
    I'd happily buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

The ones I got couldn't get enough of a pull to start the battery, I had to go and get the old tractor leads that I thought were past their best by a couple of decades and car started on the first go.
    Still have the old tractor ones and Lidl ones went into bin.

Edit seeing aldis name here, these could have been aldis but afaik they are from same manufacturers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

The trick with the thin jump leads is to not use them to crank the starter, but to use them to charge the battery, Leave them connected for a few minutes, then try start the car, if you start cranking the second you stick them on you'll melt them

There is a video on youtube on jumping a car with AA batteries using the same principle

• Advertisement

a hi-vis vest at €2.99

A Garda station will give you hi-vis stuff handy enough. They've usually a box of RSA stuff sitting in the station somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can order free hi viz vests on rsa.ie

The windscreen washer fliud is liquid gold. I bought a dozen last time they were on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Anyone know the torque range on the torque wrench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Have a set of them and no bother starting any car ive used them on.. Only problem is the length of them at 3.5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

5W30 wrote: »
    Anyone know the torque range on the torque wrench?
    Product Information :-
    With reversible ratchet for clockwise or anticlockwise use Includes ½" extension, length (mm): 125 and 3 sockets, sizes (mm): 17, 19 and 21

Torque range (Nm): 28 - 210
    Measuring tolerance: +/- 4%
    http://www.smartpound.com/story.php?title=powerfix-5-piece-torque-wrench-set-%C2%A315-99-lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

oil and hand cleaner. sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Torque wrench is a decent thing, worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Good for you, when they melt (which they will) and short out your or your friends battery, guess what I'm going to say :p

Been there, luckily the only problem it caused was the smell!

I'd agree I have heavy duty 25mm^2 jump leads. Buy one decent set and they will last you years they look 16mm^2 if even that plus if the core is aluminium that's higher resistence again you want copper cores. Clamps look sh!ty enough. They would probably be ok for a Yaris I wouldn't like to be jumping a 75 or 80 ah battery of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Will be picking up the battery charger; a very respectable output considering the price. My last one drowned in 10" of water when the building at work flooded, last years before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

will get the torque wrench cheap and cheerful, already have the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Will be picking up the battery charger; a very respectable output considering the price. My last one drowned in 10" of water when the building at work flooded, last years before that.

Looks very similar to the ring smart charger I have. Great piece of kit but it was 60 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Would the wipers fit on a Mondeo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

The torque wrench is a good shout, the jack and stands are fine, but you can do better for not much more. And as above I'd leave the jumper cables.

Think the Halfords jack stands are better?

will get the torque wrench cheap and cheerful, already have the stands.

Where did u get the stands?and do u think I he lidl ones are OK?thanks

From my experience, never got lidl/aldi wipers to fit my last car,tried two different sets,as on the back of pack,no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Anyone any experience of the mini compressor? I'm sick of garages not having air anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

While the Lidl axle stands aren't bad for what they are, a few euro extra will get you a much sturdier set from Halfords.

€13 for Lidl stands or €18 for Halfords Advance 3 tonne ratcheted axle stands. I have both and the quality difference is night and day. Just a thought for anyone venturing under their car.

Funnily enough the Halfords ones are only that price if you reserve them online and collect in store. If you head into the shop and pick them off the shelf they'll want about €35 for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

JBokeh wrote: »
    There is a video on youtube on jumping a car with AA batteries using the same principle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Where did u get the stands?and do u think I he lidl ones are OK?thanks

They were bought in Lidl, I also have solid non foldable halford ones which are a bit thicker but the lidl ones have worked fine and my car weights around 1500kg so its not light by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

SeaFields wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the mini compressor? I'm sick of garages not having air anymore!
    They're quite slow, but they get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

you can check the wiper fitment here

http://www.ultimatespeed-fb.com/

the bulb set is great value if your main bulbs are h7 or h4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Its not very clear, are the roof bars universal, does any of you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The mini compressor is fine,it's one of the better things i've ever bought in lidl it's faster than the more expensive branded one we have in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Lidl do a quite handy 2xUSB cigar lighter adapter but they usually sell out of those sharpish.

I found the wipers pretty good, but you have to clip the airfoil off and reverse it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭traco

Got them a few years back. do the job grand.

Had them on a 97 Passat estate. 2007 ML and a 2010 Superb estate. Good and solid. the mounts slide in and out so will adjust to any width. Bit noisy so only have them on if I need them.

Worth it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

:p

I think the listing is confusing, pretty sure the roof bars aren't included, it's just the bicycle mount for attaching to your existing roof bar set.

The roof bars aren't actually included (I think!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

My overall experience of Lidl tools, etc is that they are excellent value for money and of good quality. However, the axle stands are very poor. I worked in the motor trade for many years (and used all sorts of stands, etc) and would not trust the Lidl (or Aldi) axle stands.

Halfords (or identical Draper) axle stands are much better quality.

Dont forget, you wont get a second chance (to try out other axle stands) if a vehicle falls on top of you!!

Re the jump leads...I bought a Lidl set a few years ago and have used them many times and am very pleased with them.

The torque wrench looks good value. However, at that price it wont be calibrated so accuracy will be an issue.

Also, a few tips regarding torque wrenches in general -

- They should be treated as precision instruments, i.e. not dropped on the floor/ground,
    - Unwound (to '0') as soon as you are finished using it (to prevent weakening the internal springs, etc) ,
    - Be stored carefully in their protective case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do these puncture sprays actually work? I have one for the bicycle but never thought you'd get one for a car:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30838

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

Silvera wrote:
    The torque wrench looks good value. However, at that price it wont be calibrated so accuracy will be an issue.

This is true but has nothing to do with price, some of the most expensive gages on the market do not come calibrated.

That said I've calibrated one I bought in Lidl years ago and it was much more accurate than I expected.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And you should never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts.

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote: »
    My overall experience of Lidl tools, etc is that they are excellent value for money and of good quality. However, the axle stands are very poor. I worked in the motor trade for many years (and used all sorts of stands, etc) and would not trust the Lidl (or Aldi) axle stands.

Halfords (or identical Draper) axle stands are much better quality.

Dont forget, you wont get a second chance (to try out other axle stands) if a vehicle falls on top of you!!

Re the jump leads...I bought a Lidl set a few years ago and have used them many times and am very pleased with them.

Also, a few tips regarding torque wrenches in general -

- They should be treated as precision instruments, i.e. not dropped on the floor/ground,
    - Unwound (to '0') as soon as you are finished using it (to prevent weakening the internal springs, etc) ,
    - Be stored carefully in their protective case.
    I concur,ref axle stands ,,,,,I decided to buy from halfords a pair of sturdy ramps,getting wheel chocks next week,safety,safety, safety.

Thargor wrote: »
    Do these puncture sprays actually work? I have one for the bicycle but never thought you'd get one for a car:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30838

Hope so,I've a Honda insight, no space saver,,used one twice on a Kawasaki 900 r bike,got me from Sligo to Derry,80 miles no problem,, hole in tyre has to be small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

nd wrote: »
    you can check the wiper fitment here

http://www.ultimatespeed-fb.com/

the bulb set is great value if your main bulbs are h7 or h4.

Anyone know what model the Mondeo Mk4 would be on that site?

Is just lists Mondeo I and II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Anyone know what model the Mondeo Mk4 would be on that site?

It doesn't appear to be on it, it would be 4 if it was.

Wipers are one thing I can't and won't do cheap. They last no length of time compared to oem ones. You can pick up a set of mk4 mondeo wipers for circa 40 euro off Ford. Worth every penny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the mother has the Lidl flat bladed on her car and no bothers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

As been previously said the torque wrench it not having a calibration cert is a bad buy, I wouldn't hold up a wheel barrow with them axle stands and the jump leads are poor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny, I found the lidl compressor pure muck, others seemed to have more luck with them. Maybe I got a dud?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

As been previously said the torque wrench it not having a calibration cert is a bad buy, I wouldn't hold up a wheel barrow with them axle stands and the jump leads are poor.

Torque wrench is good buy even without a calibration certificate. As stated earlier in the thread when tested it was close enough certainly more than good enough for DIY use. Plus at that price you can't go wrong.

Axle stands do appear flimsy few euro more and it possible to pick up much better elsewhere

Jump leads are all based on quality on thickness of cable vs price. I've jump stared 2l diesel engines with flimsy cables by allowing the flat battery to be charged from good vehicle before trying to start the car. So better than nothing. You need very thick cables that are also expensive if you want to hook up and crank the engine straightaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

visual wrote: »
    Torque wrench is good buy even without a calibration certificate. As stated earlier in the thread when tested it was close enough certainly more than good enough for DIY use. Plus at that price you can't go wrong.

Axle stands do appear flimsy few euro more and it possible to pick up much better elsewhere

Jump leads are all based on quality on thickness of cable vs price. I've jump stared 2l diesel engines with flimsy cables by allowing the flat battery to be charged from good vehicle before trying to start the car. So better than nothing. You need very thick cables that are also expensive if you want to hook up and crank the engine straightaway.

Thats how i jump start a lot of things, by allowing the running vehicle to recharge the flat battery
    You would need very thick cables and clamps to match to properly jump a completely flat car.
    I have a set of 1000amp jump leads that are 6m long and its the length of them that are handy, they can jump stuff in akward spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

9935452 wrote: »
    Thats how i jump start a lot of things, by allowing the running vehicle to recharge the flat battery
    You would need very thick cables and clamps to match to properly jump a completely flat car.
    I have a set of 1000amp jump leads that are 6m long and its the length of them that are handy, they can jump stuff in akward spots.

I'd allow the battery to charge for 10 mins and then start it.

I was jumping a 1.9 diesel Laguna a while back with my 1.0 Yaris. The Laguna wouldn't even unlock the doors. Jumped it, sat into the Yaris, kept it at a stable 3000 RPM for 10 mins. Started without a bother.

That was with LIDL jump leads too ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement