Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW dieselgate, check if your car is affected

Options
  • 05-10-2015 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

All cars registered in Ireland can check if they are affected by entering reg number into link below:
    http://www.campaigncheck.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

My 152 2 litr jetta clear.jetta pre this year had the 1.6 105 bhp engine same as passats-this is the one that people are worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

2012 Tiguan
    Dear Customer,

Please be advised the Type EA 189 engine built into your vehicle with the licence plate number xxx you submitted, is affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs. Your car is safe from a technical standpoint and roadworthy.

We are very sorry to have broken your trust and are working at full speed to find a technical solution and we will cover the cost relating directly to this repair.

We will be in touch with you directly to explain what steps are required. We'll do the necessary work at our cost.

Yours faithfully,
    Volkswagen Group Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Girlfriends Golf
    Dear Customer,

Please be advised the Type EA 189 engine built into your vehicle with the licence plate number 10TNxxxx you submitted, is affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs. Your car is safe from a technical standpoint and roadworthy.

We are very sorry to have broken your trust and are working at full speed to find a technical solution and we will cover the cost relating directly to this repair.

We will be in touch with you directly to explain what steps are required. We'll do the necessary work at our cost.

Yours faithfully,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

Dammit, mine is affected also, so they can fix it by means of software update. Obviously performance will be affected (By how much is not yet known). From customer standpoint we are being misled about the product performance, is VW group going to offer any compensation for the car owners?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The mammys golf made the cut. I look forward to drinking all the VW dealers coffee and eating their biscuits while they remap....id also like to test drive a golf r please...the mammy is thinking of upgrading from the 110bhp she has...she says it lags a bit overtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

lau1247 wrote: »
    Dammit, mine is affected also, so they can fix it by means of software update. Obviously performance will be affected (By how much is not yet known). From customer standpoint we are being misled about the product performance, is VW group going to offer any compensation for the car owners?

The whole thing was very poorly explained. I'm not sure there is one clear source of info from a European perspective.

In the USA it is an issue as the nox levels were manipulated. The EU has historically not cared about nox or particulates to any serious degree. These engines would fly through EU nox testing without the defeat device.
    Unless the same defeat device also fiddled emissions to an extent that it affected European test results then they will be removing a technically illegal piece of software (but one which makes no difference in the EU) without any remapping.

If the same piece of software manipulated CO2 emissions then we are into a different league in the EU. Tax and fraud implications, and the possibility of detuned engines for owners.

Either way it has shown the test methods and limits (less CO2 at any expense) to be a farce. Possibly why this has been fudged in Europe and will be fixed with a magic wand with no clear explanation, as you were it's all fixed now alakazam alakazoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

How do you know this or are you simply assuming based on what you read/hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

My 1.6 TDI is affected
    Dear Customer,

Please be advised the Type EA 189 engine built into your vehicle with the licence plate number xxxxxxx you submitted, is affected by software that causes discrepancies in the values for oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during dynometer runs. Your car is safe from a technical standpoint and roadworthy.

Yours faithfully,

This crowd estimated a drop in 15hp. I think this was a 2 litre test engine. If its a 1.6 I'm not sure its as easy as saying a drop of 12hp or more but it may not be too far out. I'm thinking my 105bhp might be down to ~90.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I just checked my 2010 Superb 2.0 CR 140 and its come back as not affected???

I was sure it would be and wonder if the fact that its a UK import may mean their database is not correct. It does confirm all the correct car details.

Could it also be due to the fact that the C02 on this model is higher than the same engine in the VW versions from the same year and therefore differnt ECU software?

Now I'm really curious?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    My 1.6 TDI is affected

This crowd estimated a drop in 15hp. I think this was a 2 litre test engine. If its a 1.6 I'm not sure its as easy as saying a drop of 12hp or more but it may not be too far out. I'm thinking my 105bhp might be down to ~90.

There's a lot of pseudo science going around and a lot of guesswork (ranging between educated guesswork and pure imagination), but that video they are using as a base for that article is disastrously unscientific and illogical.

They were on the right track to test on a 4 wheel dyno in 4 wheel mode and 2 wheel mode but they just did it wrong and made some strange conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

My A6 is affected.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

2014 Skoda Superb affected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

So what is the issue really? Why bother getting the software updated? Will the NCT check to see if your car is one of those affected?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Will these software changes render a 1.6tdi Superb's performance at a similar level to the old glacially slow 75bhp 1.4 petrol Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

My car also has the EA189 engine and my dealer contact has told me that all that will be involved is a Software change.

He assures me it will be sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The fix is at best 3 months away as it needs to be road tested and then approved for use.

The idea of that site is to capture customer details of the cars affected in order to build an accurate database of who to contact, while also giving customers an indication of whether or not their car is affected.

Also, until it is actually confirmed that there is a drop in performance either in power or fuel consumption can people stop this madness of blindly guessing in the dark? It does no one any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Will these software changes render a 1.6tdi Superb's performance at a similar level to the old glacially slow 75bhp 1.4 petrol Golf?

If it does then it's not the product you bought and I feel you should be able to send the car back as the arse will fall out of the market for your model and you'll be left at a loss. I personally wouldn't be standing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Did it for the larf....
    Vehicle Not Impacted by the EA189 Campaign

Thank you for taking the time to check your vehicle. Your vehicle is not impacted by the EA189 campaign due to you being awesome and not driving the devils juice. Continue on your road to winning at life.

Which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

No petrol engines are affected Dar!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is it not like that already?
    Nobody knows precisely what the power output change will be, but Id say the 64bhp 1.9 SDI in a VW Bora would be a closer comparison.

You can always get it remapped back up again after the fact and keep schtum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

FR85 wrote: »
    If it does then it's not the product you bought and I feel you should be able to send the car back as the arse will fall out of the market for your model and you'll be left at a loss. I personally wouldn't be standing for it.
    I was going to click the submit question thing about this... the realised it only takes your name, email and has no box to actually ask anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

No petrol engines are affected Dar!

That was half the joke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

My 2.0 litre golf is affected. Hopefully it won't discourage people from buying as I have the car up for sale. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For fun I threw mine in and my Euro 5 spec A6 clear as expected.
    I can't really see why anyone here would WANT this patch if it's going to cut performance seeing as the issue it addresses isn't tested by NCT or impacts tax bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

MargeS wrote: »
    So what is the issue really? Why bother getting the software updated? Will the NCT check to see if your car is one of those affected?

The issue is pollution, estimated in the states between 12 and 102 deaths as a result of illegal emissions (according to Wiki)

Good point about nct, they only do a visual check on the emissions controls and the opacity test which is no more than a electricial visual test. No analysing of exhaust content, similar to US and most others I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I for one, won't be running to VW for a software update until I know for sure it will be affecting my yearly motor tax cost.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

dar83 wrote: »
    That was half the joke. :(

Tried my car and it's not applicable too if that makes you feel any better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Tried my car and it's not applicable too if that makes you feel any better :)

The 1.9 PD isn't affected. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Anyone who doesn't want it done will probably need to avoid the VAG dealer network for servicing as it'll probably be done automatically then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

RedorDead wrote: »
    How do you know this or are you simply assuming based on what you read/hear?

I don't know this in the sense of a solid source but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if they have to resort to tinker with the software to pass tests, there will always be a compromise to performance when that software is patched. Otherwise they don't have to do it in the first place.

There is no magic solution, to me either the performance suffer or the MPG suffer after the patch.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement