Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mustang 2015

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I would prefer a V8, but a crossplane 4 would still sound better than the current flatplane design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

MTBD wrote: »
    No, you cannot. You simply cannot replicate that sound with a 4 cylinder under any circumstances. It will sound loud and farty at best. You have TBi as your username, and engine which im sorry to say despite Alfas best efforts in the 4C sounds nothing as good as the old V6. Its abrasive and extremely loud but not particularly pleasant. And that is probably as good as any 4 cylinder will sound.

You'd have to be very tone deaf to say that they sound anything alike. Look at the smile on that guys face as he drives away in the v8. That is the effect of a V8 engine sound! It makes you smile all the time and its not just the sound, its the way the power goes through the entire car smoothly and powerfully. You will not have that with the ECOboost. That's all I am saying. I'm not saying its a bad car or that people can't like it for what it is but it will not satisfy someone who has been stung by the V8 bug.

QFT. Once you experience a V8 and drive one for yourself there really is no going back.

As Top Gear so recently and eloquently explained, a V8 is imperfect (a straight six is a superior solution in terms of vibrations and harshness because it perfectly balanced, unlike a V8, and in fact is the only engine below a V12 that manages this, this is why BMW's straight sixes are so smooth and creamy) and that's what makes V8s so wonderful. The sound a V8, specifically, the sound a cross plane V8 makes is just awesome. It's utterly seductive, and in fairness we are taking about a muscle car here, the sound is an integral part of the character of the car, it's what the car is all about. Technically a flat plane V8 is better (it allows higher revs, hence why Ferrari use them instead of the more usual cross plane V8) but it sounds nowhere near as good in my opinion. It makes sense in a high revving Italian sports car, but it would sound all wrong in a Mustang. A flat plane V8 sounds all too like a four cylinder, they don't have that deep, muscular burbly growl of a cross plane V8.

You can bang on all day about the fact that the Ecoboost is plenty fast enough (sure it's faster than many a V8 Mustang from times gone by) but it will never change the fact that it's still the wrong engine for this car. Saying that the I4 is OK because it's got over 300 bhp is as silly as the BMW bigwigs saying that front wheel drive BMWs are OK because the Mini is front wheel drive and that handles well; that's totally missing the point and shows a complete and utter lack of understanding on so many levels it's hard to know where to even start trying to point out the flaws in this logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's either V8 or it's not, the other engine is like a 1 litre Mercedes S Class.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd like to know just how many of the current 4 in line 2.3Ts and 5.0 V8s everyone has owned/driven.

There's no doubting a big V8 sounds better btw. The fact is it's too pricey for good old Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Technically a flat plane V8 is better (it allows higher revs, hence why Ferrari use them instead of the more usual cross plane V8) but it sounds nowhere near as good in my opinion...

Well said, chief. I'll just add that a crossplane setup gives a better-balanced overall firing order, but needs a lot of heavy machining and counterweighting compared to a flatplane, hence the higher revs of the latter. Having said that, a flatplane is inherently unbalanced, but needs no counterweights, hence it's use in sportscars such as Ferraris and what-have-you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I'd like to know just how many of the current 4 in line 2.3Ts and 5.0 V8s everyone has owned/driven.

There's no doubting a big V8 sounds better btw. The fact is it's too pricey for good old Ireland.

That's not the cars fault though is it. You've got our extortionate government to thank for that and having a preference for the V8 over the more "Irish Friendly" Ecoboost doesn't make people "V8 Snobs" as you like to call them.

A real mustang is the one with a V8, even if the ecoboost makes more sense and regardless of how good it is - its still not a V8.

The previous poster that gave the front wheel drive BMW analogy hit the nail on the head.

I have driven a GT V8 and loved it.

Im sure the 2.3 is an excellent engine ... but it belongs in a Focus RS not a Mustang!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jaysus, there's some awful historical correctness going on here without much accuracy. Many of the iterations of the Mustang over the years have featured 4-cyl engines and many would see that as entirely coherent with its origins as an affordable sports car, ie as a pony car, only some of which were ever expected to be v8 muscle cars. The current iteration is hardly any different.

Different strokes for different folks although I will guess that the current turbo 4 is one if the few times that the smaller engine has come close to v8 power.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Marcusm wrote: »
    Jaysus, there's some awful historical correctness going on here without much accuracy. Many of the iterations of the Mustang over the years have featured 4-cyl engines and many would see that as entirely coherent with its origins as an affordable sports car, ie as a pony car, only some of which were ever expected to be v8 muscle cars. The current iteration is hardly any different.

Different strokes for different folks although I will guess that the current turbo 4 is one if the few times that the smaller engine has come close to v8 power.

That's phrased better than I could ever manage and really gets to the kernel of this issue.

A Mustang is primarily a Pony car, and and affordable sports car. The engine doesn't have to be a V8.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

That's phrased better than I could ever manage and really gets to the kernel of this issue.

A Mustang is primarily a Pony car, and and affordable sports car. The engine doesn't have to be a V8.

Ya I agree. Everyone can have their opinion and if you don't like the 4 pot because it's not the proper engine then just don't buy one. I think it's a bit much though to sit on the sideline with no mustang and complain that if someone bought the mustang with the ecoboost that it's not a proper mustang. It's more of a proper mustang than having no mustang surely :D:pac:

People take different things from cars and put importance on different aspects. I like a powerful engine and would love a V8 but it wouldn't be that big a deal for me to have the ecoboost based on how much more practical it is. It's different strokes for different folks. I would actually get enjoyment out of having a really nice looking car which has a pretty impressive engine spec. That would give me a kick knowing it's only a 2.3 but putting out over 300BHP and not breaking the bank on fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ION08 wrote: »
    That's not the cars fault though is it. You've got our extortionate government to thank for that and having a preference for the V8 over the more "Irish Friendly" Ecoboost doesn't make people "V8 Snobs" as you like to call them.

A real mustang is the one with a V8, even if the ecoboost makes more sense and regardless of how good it is - its still not a V8. !

That's the way alot of the world is leaning and if cars are to survive the test of time they need to adapt.
    The ecoboost is an excellent effort of the manufacturer trying to get around restrictive tax laws that would otherwise kill the product off.

I'd happily drive the four pot. What extra you get in the v8 isn't worth the extra price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

A v8 engine is a soulful thing, it can't be explained logically but it makes you feel good inside.
    A bit like a Harley Davidson without a vee twin, it just aint right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw a yellow one on a car transporter this morning only car on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ofcork wrote: »
    Saw a yellow one on a car transporter this morning only car on it.

Where was that? Sure it's the new model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

Coming from ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I know they were originally saying September delivery so I guess it's time they started landing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Saw it also on my way to work out that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

They have the yellow one on display in C.A.B Motors on the Monahan Road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'd love to test drive one, but could never afford it.

It's one of those things we're glad exist, but nobody here will buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

retweet wrote: »
    They have the yellow one on display in C.A.B Motors on the Monahan Road!

Ecoboost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Jesus. wrote: »
    Ecoboost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Crasp wrote: »

By my deeds I honour him. V8!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sat in the car today down in CAB.

Yellow wouldn't be my first choice of colour for the car but it was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Any owners on here?

Will own one of these eventually! Love the ruby red and the dark grey... 5.0 is in nice but with €2350 motor tax I think the 2.3T makes more sense in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

do ford have any decent pcp offers :P

clerk wrote: »

Which one's the TDCI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I know the Criminal Assets Bureau has seized a lot of cars and sold them off but how have they managed to get a Mustang so quickly. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

Looking forward to spending a day in Silverstone with the V8s at the end of the month, then the official Irish launch in Feb. I assume some owners have already gotten theirs, I hope some have gone for the V8 version.

• Advertisement

Which one's the TDCI?
    l'm open to correction but from reading various links are they not both engines petrols ? open to correction on that.

this might help,
    http://www.ford.ie/Cars/NewMustang/Model-Range

this as well,
    https://www.facebook.com/Mustang-Club-of-Ireland-523598317801662/timeline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Saw a GT on the roads down here yesterday. They are enormous! Nice to look at though and sound lovely.

hell of a premium in Ireland. 5L GT Fastback auto 67.5k v 45k ($75k NZD) in NZ

l'm open to correction but from reading various links are they not both engines petrols ? open to correction on that.

Sorry mate, my attempt at a joke. You know new Muscle car, Paddy spec and all that

It was a lousy attempt I admit :)

Saw a GT on the roads down here yesterday. They are enormous! Nice to look at though and sound lovely.

hell of a premium in Ireland. 5L GT Fastback auto 67.5k v 45k ($75k NZD) in NZ

Also, dont forget the extortionate €2,350 per year motor tax and the fact that any insurance company is likely to have a seizure when you mention "5 litre" over the phone :rolleyes:

Tis no country for a mustang I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Drove behind one today - couldn't hear it & thought it looked horrid - bright yellow, with horrendous spoked rims. Literally nothing about it appealed to me, seeing it on Irish roads

Would still love to test one all the same

D'Agger wrote: »
    Literally nothing about it appealed to me, seeing it on Irish roads

That's the thing. In the States it'd look right at home but over here it might look right out of place.

Lots of begrudgers on here

Literally nothing about it appealed to me, seeing it on Irish roads
    That's the thing. In the States it'd look right at home but over here it might look right out of place.

You're right lads, this a country for Nissan Micras, Fiat Puntos and Toyota Yaris and where anything over a 1.6 is considered a "Shports car"driven by lunatics!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

Any in dublin that can be test driven

cena wrote: »

Don't think so!!

CAB in cork seem to be the only authorised Mustang dealer.

"As Irelands only Authorised FordStore, we are the only Authorised Dealer in Ireland to sell the Ford Mustang.

For more information or for a personalised quote contact “Ireland's only Mustang Sales Manager” Pat Harte on 087-6366164 or via email to pharte@cabmotors.com
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looking forward to spending a day in Silverstone with the V8s at the end of the month, then the official Irish launch in Feb. I assume some owners have already gotten theirs, I hope some have gone for the V8 version.

Brother in law was enquiring about one. Was told that they'd sold 23 of which one was the v8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

23! Fairly shifting for that type of car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Only one V8, mad. Just goes to show, those that are willing to spend €2350 on tax aren't prepared to spend it on a €70k Mustang.

Only one V8, mad. Just goes to show, those that are willing to spend €2350 on tax aren't prepared to spend it on a €70k Mustang.

Well, it makes sense. The mustang isn't supposed to be some sort of luxobarge for the wealthy that are "prepared" to drop €2350 per year on tax.

It's supposed to be a more of anti aspirational / working class man's car.

Like it is in the U.S .... but therein lies the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Lots of begrudgers on here
    You're right lads, this a country for Nissan Micras, Fiat Puntos and Toyota Yaris and where anything over a 1.6 is considered a "Shports car"driven by lunatics!!:D

Taking me up wrong lads - been a fan of the mustang for quite some time, they're classics but I thought the colour & styling (rims in particular) of this particular mustang was hideous. I was disappointed I couldn't hear it tbqh but it was my first 161 sighting, first mustang sighting in Ireland and it looked ridiculous. Would love to see an understated black or dark blue model

cena wrote: »

As far as I am aware Spirit Ford in Dublin, also Lyons Limerick and CAB.

I think CAB were the first but the other 2 could have them now.

Would love to see an understated black or dark blue model

Don't think this is the type of car you buy to be understated, regardless of colour.

I'd love a Mustang mate!

Its just some chunky American cars can look a little bit odd on our wee Island with its wee windy roads & tiny parking spaces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

vintagevrs wrote: »
    23! Fairly shifting for that type of car

Only 4 registered so far. One being a v8 which is their press car i would assume?

• Advertisement

Taking me up wrong lads - been a fan of the mustang for quite some time, they're classics but I thought the colour & styling (rims in particular) of this particular mustang was hideous. I was disappointed I couldn't hear it tbqh but it was my first 161 sighting, first mustang sighting in Ireland and it looked ridiculous. Would love to see an understated black or dark blue model
    I'd love a Mustang mate!

Its just some chunky American cars can look a little bit odd on our wee Island with its wee windy roads & tiny parking spaces :)

Ahh I knew what yiz meant, I was just trying to be funny!

To be fair though, having driven a 2014 V8 Mustang in the US, I was also expecting it to be chunky and heavy to handle .. but it's a lot more nimble and light footed than say a 6 Series Coupe or a Mercedes SL, of which there are plenty in Ireland!

I'd imagine the 2.3 Ecoboost is even more nimble and light footed that the GT, something a lot of people seem to overlook in the Ecoboost vs V8 debate!

Advertisement