Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You shouldn't leave them dry, but it can happen. Apply away from sunlight, most people get that, but also very cold panels can cause drying, or frozen snow foam/lance solution / tfr.

I'm was wondering would you nearly have to polish to remove the after effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

To be fair, neither should happen - if snowfoam, TFR, etc get frozen to the car....what do you do when your windscreen is frozen?
    Lash a bucket of lukewarm water over the affected area! :)

And you shouldnt be using TFR! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Anyone know anything about Keoghs
    http://www.keoghscarvaleting.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Keoghs
    http://www.keoghscarvaleting.com/index.html

Very nice and genuine guy and turns out good work from what I seen.

Dont know Trevor - but follow him on Twitter, and he seems to turn out some really nice work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

[IMG][/img]jtkryc.jpg

After washing and drying the car, i applied the Autoglym Rapid Detailer. when i was wiping it off it was leaving black spots which look like kind of tar. They disappeared when i wiped it off with the wet towel which i had used to dry the car. Any idea why that happens? I didn't leave the detailer long or anything. These marks only appeared after i wiped off detailer with a dry mf cloth...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Meguiar's DA Power System
    Does anyone have any opinions on this as a polishing tool? Details from halfords here

Interesting, seems like a good idea. Id reserve judgement until using it, but in reality Im not sure how effective it would be. It looks like its a bit awkward to use, your hand holding the trigger on the drill is quite high making it an awkward posture...not ideal doing a whole car, though, it probably wouldn't be an issue on vertical panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Meguiar's DA Power System
    Does anyone have any opinions on this as a polishing tool? Details from halfords here

For correction, I'd say it isn't worth while, as the rpm isn't high enough.
    And you're better of waxing your car by hand, if you've ever waxed a car with a da, you'll know why

For another 50 quid or so you'd have a das6 polisher, and I know that's quite a bit more but it would be worth it in my opinion.

I haven't used the above of course but it looks awkward and the fact it's around a while and not that popular speaks volumes in my opinion.

• Advertisement

bbari wrote: »
    After washing and drying the car, i applied the Autoglym Rapid Detailer. when i was wiping it off it was leaving black spots which look like kind of tar. They disappeared when i wiped it off with the wet towel which i had used to dry the car. Any idea why that happens? I didn't leave the detailer long or anything. These marks only appeared after i wiped off detailer with a dry mf cloth...

That is very strange bbari - only for you said it was like tar, thats what I would have said!

What have you got on the paintwork, not that it should make any difference really.

Curran wrote: »
    That is very strange bbari - only for you said it was like tar, thats what I would have said!

What have you got on the paintwork, not that it should make any difference really.

Sorry, I should have taken better pics!

A couple of week after buying the car (Sep) I put a coat of 845, a month later, a coat of Fusso, then a few later a coat of Softt99 King of Gloss. . As I said above, these marks appeared when I was wiping off the AG quick detailer,

The madness crazy towel cloth i was wiping with was used for buffing wax before - could it be due to that as I never washed the towel after using 3/4 times ? or the only other thing i could thinks of is .. could it be due to a cold morning ?

I'm not an expert but i think the surface is pretty smooth and it beads well-ish :), not sure if this means that surface is clean. This is the pic this morning..

2w59jk5.jpg

Looks good to me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Mr Detail wrote: »
    For another 50 quid or so you'd have a das6 polisher, and I know that's quite a bit more but it would be worth it in my opinion.

I haven't used the above of course but it looks awkward and the fact it's around a while and not that popular speaks volumes in my opinion.

I always figured that they were more expensive .

Ah, so the Das 6 a standard rather then a brand or model.
    I see this one here which looks like a standard enough piece of kit. Anywhere in Ireland these things are available from? just wondering if i can save on the postage.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

For correction, I'd say it isn't worth while, as the rpm isn't high enough.
    And you're better of waxing your car by hand, if you've ever waxed a car with a da, you'll know why

So is there any need to have a DA polishing machine at all if your car is fairly swirl free and you really take care washing, claying and waxing it? I spotted one for not bad money and was thinking of getting it, but how much would i use it in reality?

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    I always figured that they were more expensive .

Ah, so the Das 6 a standard rather then a brand or model.
    I see this one here which looks like a standard enough piece of kit. Anywhere in Ireland these things are available from? just wondering if i can save on the postage.

Cheers

The das6 is kind of recognised as the best beginner friendly da. A good few companies rebrand them but they are essentially the exact same piece of kit. I have one left in Stock as it happens. Ha ha.

Kol in fairness if your happy with your paint and the finish there is no need for a da. Some people quite like using them for applying all in one polishes and glazes as well but it's mainly down to the individual I guess.

Mr Detail wrote: »
    The das6 is kind of recognised as the best beginner friendly da. A good few companies rebrand them but they are essentially the exact same piece of kit. I have one left in Stock as it happens. Ha ha.

Kol in fairness if your happy with your paint and the finish there is no need for a da. Some people quite like using them for applying all in one polishes and glazes as well but it's mainly down to the individual I guess.

Thanks for the reply. I might use it on the camper to bring up the finish as its badly in need. Would save a lot of elbow grease over an area that big. What's your opinion about waffle pads vs flat pads for the DA?

Its just a personal preference but I am not a fan of the waffle pads, not that they don't work or anything. I prefer "flat" foam pads, although I use lake country and cg hexlogic pads and they are not completely flat either.

Certainly make doing the camper a bit easier on the arm anyway.

Just after sitting into the car and have made a scratch with a rivet on my jeans. Black Audi leather. Is there something I can get to touch it up or colour where I have scratched?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Lads,

for small scratch to clear coat i want to rub approx 2000 grit wet... and then hit it with polishing compound to bring the shine back..... would a DA polisher do the trick here or would it be a job for a rotary?

I have read somewhere that a DA is only good for swirl removal and not good for paint correction type stuff?

H

• Advertisement

DA will do the same job as a rotary, but it will take longer, but less risk involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Thanks Curran

H

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Curran wrote: »
    DA will do the same job as a rotary, but it will take longer, but less risk involved.

Different pad/polish combos can help as well.

But I can verify that a DA is well capable of VAG paint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

I must tint out a few windows in the jeep and wondering what is the best thing to add to water to use in the spray bottle? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Flood wrote: »
    I must tint out a few windows in the jeep and wondering what is the best thing to add to water to use in the spray bottle? thanks.

When I used to tint my windows many moons ago I use a drop of fairy liquid in the water sprayed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

IS it allowed to have a "drift" spoiler on your car and still pass the check-up?
    Are there rules how wide it can be, or what material?

is carbon allowed in Ireland? like carbon hood, carbon spoiler

Guys - is this ok for your paintwork ?

I am using one currently and AFAIK it hasn't done any damage!

2zdon43.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

bbari wrote:
    Guys - is this ok for your paintwork ? I am using one currently and AFAIK it hasn't done any damage!

I dear god hope so, it's them I've been using this past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I dear god hope so, it's them I've been using this past year.

Same here. I'll get a couple of sets if they're available on whatever day, just to have clean ones.

• Advertisement

Certainly better than a traditional sponge! With using the two bucket method, there probably wont be a whole lot of difference to an expensive mitt....have a good feel of it, check it for potential to scratching...quality wont be outstanding, but sure at that price, ye cant complain....grab a few of them; and sure if ye have to bin them after 7-8 washed, no massive loss! ;)
    Just my honest opinion! ;)

Advertisement