Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poll; Would you do 'don't tell the bride'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Bride2012 wrote: »
    This is the main part that I couldn't give over control for. I wouldn't enjoy a normal night out in the wrong dress (not well fitted, not my style etc.) so forget walking up the aisle in one I don't like!!

Before the programme started taping, I'd be showing him the wedding dress I wanted (in the size I needed) and the reception venue I wanted - the rest would be up to him!

I'd say the brides have more input than they let on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

Before the programme started taping, I'd be showing him the wedding dress I wanted (in the size I needed) and the reception venue I wanted - the rest would be up to him!

I'd say the brides have more input than they let on ;)

Suppose so. Going on the tv would stop me too. I'd do it if they promised to 'lose the tape' but that's just 10k for nothing so not going to happen.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

I'd love to do it, it'd be a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Bride2012 wrote: »
    :D

True but you do end up married at the end

dont consumate the marriage so you can have it anulled later ;)

dont consumate the marriage so you can have it anulled later ;)

Try proving that if you're not a virgin.

• Advertisement

In order to obtain an annulment (nullity) of your alleged marriage, you must make an application (called a 'petition') to the Circuit Court or the High Court.
    Void marriage

To prove to the court that your marriage is void you must show one of the following grounds:
    • At the time of the marriage ceremony there was a lack of capacity. In other words, you or your spouse was incapable of entering into a binding contract. This may happen where one of you was already validly married or in a civil partnership, where you are too closely related to each other or where you are of the same biological sex.
    • The formal requirements for a marriage ceremony were not followed. For example, you did not give due notice to the Registrar of Marriages.
    • At the time of the marriage, there was a lack of consent. In other words, you or your spouse did not give free and fully informed consent to the marriage. This may be due to duress, (i.e., you were forced into the marriage), mistake, misrepresentation or fraud. It may also be due to the fact that you or your spouse was suffering from a mental illness or was intoxicated at the time of the marriage.
    Voidable marriage

To prove to the court that your marriage is voidable, you must show one of the following grounds:
    • At the time of the marriage ceremony, either party was impotent. You must show that either you or your spouse was unable to consummate the marriage. You cannot obtain a declaration of nullity because one of you is infertile or because one of you is simply refusing to consummate the marriage. It must be the case that one of you is incapable of sexual intercourse.
    • At the time of the marriage ceremony, either party was incapable of entering into and sustaining a proper or normal marriage relationship. This may be due to a psychiatric illness or personality disorder. It may also be due to the sexual orientation of one of the parties. For example, if you discover after you marry that your spouse is homosexual, the court may grant you an annulment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

b743k wrote: »
    In order to obtain an annulment (nullity) of your alleged marriage, you must make an application (called a 'petition') to the Circuit Court or the High Court.
    Void marriage

To prove to the court that your marriage is void you must show one of the following grounds:
    • At the time of the marriage ceremony there was a lack of capacity. In other words, you or your spouse was incapable of entering into a binding contract. This may happen where one of you was already validly married or in a civil partnership, where you are too closely related to each other or where you are of the same biological sex.
    • The formal requirements for a marriage ceremony were not followed. For example, you did not give due notice to the Registrar of Marriages.
    • At the time of the marriage, there was a lack of consent. In other words, you or your spouse did not give free and fully informed consent to the marriage. This may be due to duress, (i.e., you were forced into the marriage), mistake, misrepresentation or fraud. It may also be due to the fact that you or your spouse was suffering from a mental illness or was intoxicated at the time of the marriage.
    Voidable marriage

To prove to the court that your marriage is voidable, you must show one of the following grounds:
    • At the time of the marriage ceremony, either party was impotent. You must show that either you or your spouse was unable to consummate the marriage. You cannot obtain a declaration of nullity because one of you is infertile or because one of you is simply refusing to consummate the marriage. It must be the case that one of you is incapable of sexual intercourse.
    • At the time of the marriage ceremony, either party was incapable of entering into and sustaining a proper or normal marriage relationship. This may be due to a psychiatric illness or personality disorder. It may also be due to the sexual orientation of one of the parties. For example, if you discover after you marry that your spouse is homosexual, the court may grant you an annulment.
    It can be anulled because you are infertile!!!!! That's crazy!

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

you haven t read your own quote there b743k.....

*ahem*

Whoops, a bit tired today :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I would only do this if I could pay someone out of the €10,000 to organise the wedding for me

Ye I know - I'm a cheater

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Fúck no.

If I do get married, it'll be me, my fella, a marriage license and two strangers as witnesses. Bliss! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sweet, I'd take the money, pay for the registry paperwork and profit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I always figured that they weren't told til the last minute that they'd been selected and therefore hadn't time to iron out all the details.
    Either that or it's the old cliché of the woman telling the man in detail what she wants while he smiles and nods saying "yes dear" while secretly watching the footie over her shoulder.

Personally, aside from the cameras and him picking the dress, I'd go for it because I hate pressure and I'd prefer all the expectation was on someone else rather than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

nah, I couldn't handle the emotional stress that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

Something I've never understood about this programme: why don't the couple agree on what they want before they go on, then the guy can just get all those things and pretend it's all his own idea, and she can act pleasantly surprised.

Hey presto, €10,000 to spend on their dream wedding!

Can someone more with more knowledge of the programme tell me if there's something to stop them doing this?

That seems so sensible the programme makers must have a way around it. Otherwise it fairly urinates on their "Ha! These stupid men aren't psychic! Idiots!" bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I'd go for it tbh. We've set out a wedding budget (way below the national average!) and are trying to scrape the funds together, no mean feat! I'm usually pretty organised and a tad bossy, but I'd be intrigued to see what himself would come up with. The wedding day is just one day, the marriage is the important part imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Pupito wrote: »
    That seems so sensible the programme makers must have a way around it. Otherwise it fairly urinates on their "Ha! These stupid men aren't psychic! Idiots!" bonfire.

That's what I think, because as soon as I saw an ad for the programme I thought "why don't they just arrange it all beforehand?"

I'm there's some really obvious method the makers employ to stop them, but I can't imagine what it might be.
    ash23 wrote: »
    I always figured that they weren't told til the last minute that they'd been selected and therefore hadn't time to iron out all the details.
    Either that or it's the old cliché of the woman telling the man in detail what she wants while he smiles and nods saying "yes dear" while secretly watching the footie over her shoulder.

Personally, aside from the cameras and him picking the dress, I'd go for it because I hate pressure and I'd prefer all the expectation was on someone else rather than me.

That's probably the most likely explanation, but even so, surely they'd have to have applied to go earlier, and they could have arranged everything (including backups in case not everything's not available) before they apply.

Maybe it just doesn't occur to the couples to do that.

Looking at it now again tonight, not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Something I've never understood about this programme: why don't the couple agree on what they want before they go on, then the guy can just get all those things and pretend it's all his own idea, and she can act pleasantly surprised.

Hey presto, €10,000 to spend on their dream wedding!

Can someone more with more knowledge of the programme tell me if there's something to stop them doing this?

Have never seen the show, but this was the first thing that occured to me when I heard about the 'concept'. Surely any couple worth their salt would be able to sit down and agree on everything they wanted as soon as they realised they'd been accepted on the show? If they can't get that much together, why are they doing even getting married?!

• Advertisement

Have never seen the show, but this was the first thing that occured to me when I heard about the 'concept'. Surely any couple worth their salt would be able to sit down and agree on everything they wanted as soon as they realised they'd been accepted on the show? If they can't get that much together, why are they doing even getting married?!

Or if the TV company thinks that your fiancé is a big enough dope to mess up and make good telly, do you still want to spend your life with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Yeah sure, your "friends" Bride2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

b743k wrote: »
    Or if the TV company thinks that your fiancé is a big enough dope to mess up and make good telly, do you still want to spend your life with him?

Wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in my beloved, no.

Maybe prospective couples should agree to go their separate ways just by virtue of the fact they've been accepted on the show in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I can't think of much worse, apart from AIDs and all that jazz, than having a camera follow me around for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

anndub wrote: »
    Yeah sure, your "friends" Bride2012.

Ha ha, yes they're my friends. Mine is booked for the 2nd of June and it was mainly me planning it and both of us paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

My sister and her husband were featured on the last series, It was the only way they could afford to get married to be honest but the episode turned out well and it was great fun (even if a bit stressful) filming it. I got married two wks after her episode aired we had saved for a few yrs and we got to do everything our own way but both days were just as amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

A program for taudry gypo sorts. An insight into the lives of the vaste array of vermin so prevalent on the isle of Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod

Don't resurect old threads please.

Also, you should try being nicer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement