Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesbian parent hopefuls

Options
  • 29-12-2011 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

We are in west Ireland and we are looking to start a family. We have been talking about this for quite some time and we now feel it is the right time for us.

It is hard to find info and advice from people in a similar situation to us as I find that many women that have had children in a lesbian couple have had them from their previous hetro relationships.

I hope that in 2012 Ireland will do some amending and recognise the children in a gay relationship as equal to both parents. (This also extends to hetero couples who have used donor sperm/eggs who at the moment do not have these rights either)

I have found that a lot of lesbians tend to use a close gay male friends as their donor.
    We would like to read about an honest-to-god lesbian couple in their late 20's/early 30's who want to start a family of their own, without a 'special uncle' but would rather an anonymous donor from an overseas bank and hope that in the next 12 months Ireland will recognise the children in a gay relationship (not that it will stop us either way!)

Any advice or info welcome on ...shopping for anonymous sperm online/through a clinic...Lesbian friendly fertility clinics in Ireland or do they care? Show them the money, right?!... Groups for young civil partnered soon to be parents... What should I feed a child with gay parents... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I hope that in 2012 Ireland will do some amending and recognise the children in a gay relationship as equal to both parents. (This also extends to hetero couples who have used donor sperm/eggs who at the moment do not have these rights)

You will find this is not really a problem for heterosexual couples as they are never assumed to not be the biological parents of the child born & so both go on the birth certificate no questions asked :)

Fingers crossed things will change to recognise all parents as parents no matter what the make up of the family.

I can tell you that at GFU the non carrying parent in the case of same sex couples (there is a similar form for straight couples using donor sperm) signs a form stating that she is aware and intends to be the parent of any child/children born from the procedure :)

Any questions, feel free to PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there just reading your post, we are in same position and are ready to start family, would you be willing to share info on clinic you decided to go with etc, just trying to get some good advise as info not that easy to come by...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭crawlb4uwalk

Yes I have no problems sharing the info. Private Message me and we can go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Theres a wonderful site called babyandbump that has a gay parenting section.

Also in Northern Ireland theres an Org called LASI - Lesbian advocacy services Initiative - They help with all sorts of things including starting a family, Maybe they can point you in the right direction?

http://www.lasionline.org/

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Feel free to PM me :) we now have a beautiful 9 day old baby girl & it's the best thing we have ever done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Feel free to PM me :) we now have a beautiful 9 day old baby girl & it's the best thing we have ever done :D

Congratulations you guys, that's brilliant! :D

TwoMums2Be wrote: »

Congratulations !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crazybrides

Hi ,
    We are a lesbian couple in the south of Ireland hoping to start a family .During our search to look for some advice on some reputable clincs etc.. we came across your posts.Which is just fantastic...... couples in the same position as us........ who better to give advice!.Congratulations to TwoMums2Be on the birth of your beautiful baby girl.Any information or advice anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No advice but I wanted to wish you the best of luck :) Also, congrats to 2Mums2Be :D

All go! go! go! here for us this week. First appointment for follicular tracking and hopefully IUI before the week is out :)
    I am happy to share all the info and the build up to this point. We did a lot of Googling and of course Boards.ie is so good for friendly advice!
    If you would like specific information re Clinics etc PM me. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Crazybrides

Thanks Whiteroses:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Im late but congrats 2 mums to be,hope your still all happy and healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WildCatXX

Hi everyone!

I have a 4 year old son who was conceived with sperm donated from a gay friend (who is also a coparent). I was single when I had my son but have been in a relationship the last few years. We would love to add to our family but unfortunately my son's father is no longer in a position to donate so we have been considering different options. As we already have a coparent involved we wouldn't want to go down that route with someone else. I did look at some of the donor sites such as prideangels but there are an awful lot of messers out there wanting natural insemination. Ideally we would like a known donor that wants no involvement but would be open to meeting the child if it wanted to in years to come. But as known donors are so hard to find it looks like we will have to go down the clinic route. I am so broody and really want to give my son a sibling but have decided to finish my midwifery degree first (which is torture at times when I feel so broody!). Looking forward to chatting to other lesbian couples on this journey :)

WildCatXX wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I have a 4 year old son who was conceived with sperm donated from a gay friend (who is also a coparent). I was single when I had my son but have been in a relationship the last few years. We would love to add to our family but unfortunately my son's father is no longer in a position to donate so we have been considering different options. As we already have a coparent involved we wouldn't want to go down that route with someone else. I did look at some of the donor sites such as prideangels but there are an awful lot of messers out there wanting natural insemination. Ideally we would like a known donor that wants no involvement but would be open to meeting the child if it wanted to in years to come. But as known donors are so hard to find it looks like we will have to go down the clinic route. I am so broody and really want to give my son a sibling but have decided to finish my midwifery degree first (which is torture at times when I feel so broody!). Looking forward to chatting to other lesbian couples on this journey :)

Hiya,

Check out dk.cryosinternational.com
    There are a lot of options on the site and being in Denmark they are all fairly open about themselves and the whole thing in general, unlike prudy Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I cant believe this thread even exists!!! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted tbh. As a lesbian who cant wait to be a mother, I am so happy to see other women going down this road and some who already have!! It's brilliant!

I agree with some posters re using a male friend, I think its much better to use an anonymous donor, in case somewhere down the line there are issues re custody etc.

We are only two years together but in our late twenties/early thirties so it is somethign we have talked about that we both want in "5 or 6" years :D I'd love to have a baby now but need to finish up college and get my own life in order first :rolleyes:

I'm glad this is of help to those who find it... or even that you know you are not alone! :)

My UPDATE - Went for my day 12 follicular tracking this week and had a couple of nice big juicy follicles :) One bigger than most. We were GOOD TO GO. Had IUI procedure the next day and I was given the trigger injection ten minutes afterwards. Sitting now watching TV and chilling out for TWW!! Cramping a little but all normal so far. Happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

So weird, myself and my girlfriend literally sitting here googling this exact subject and arguing about who should get to be pregnant first .. Don't really have anything to contribute but felt the need to wish you the best of luck :)

Its crazy that there is so little info out there for us online. When myself and my girlfriend started to look for how we would do this it felt really undoable. There are clinics that don't treat unmarried or single women. And you really have to research the **** out of things. Everybody on BOARDS.IE has been amazing. Even just for little bits of helpful info that we could take into account. I'm really glad we started earlier this year when we did. It has taken 6 months to get me to our first IUI procedure and it would be great if it worked first time. My girlfriend, after many worries about not feeling involved, got to see my cervix. Not that it will play in my favour for the next while... Apparently it fairly gross and unsexy! :)

Hello,
    Just thought I'd throw this in there. Although I agree completely with the mothers right to anonymous donors and that but wouldn't it be better to have a third person, ie the biological father in the equation.

An extra pair of hands
    A connection for the child with his father
    etc

I know people will not like this opinion but I think if the stuation was right this would be a good idea for lesbian couples to use a friend as a donor. The one thing that would have to change though is that the non-biological mothers rights should legally supercede the biological fathers. In this situation.
    Hope to see lots of happy lesbian couple mothers over the next few years.

C. ; )

• Advertisement

C,
    In what sense would lesbian couples need an extra pair of hands... We have two hands too. Why would we require 6 in a family to raise a child over a straight couple?
    Do you believe that single straight mothers should keep a connection with an abusive father of their child just so the child has a connection with him?
    Finally, there are loads of happy lesbian mothers all over the country. They don't need to rub in in anyone's faces, we do just go about our business and go under the radar.
    Your opinion is your opinion, but to me makes very little sense and is irrelevant to this thread.
    Hello,
    Just thought I'd throw this in there. Although I agree completely with the mothers right to anonymous donors and that but wouldn't it be better to have a third person, ie the biological father in the equation.

An extra pair of hands
    etc

I know people will not like this opinion but I think if the stuation was right this would be a good idea for lesbian couples to use a friend as a donor. The one thing that would have to change though is that the non-biological mothers rights should legally supercede the biological fathers. In this situation.

C. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Chick_chick

Hello,

An extra pair of hands
    etc

C. ; )

Many couples in Ireland use assisted fertility to help them start a family, both heterosexual couples and same sex.

In a number of heterosexual couples seeking treatment, the male partner has a low sperm count/motility problem etc. The heterosexual couple then has the option to use donor sperm. Should this heterosexual couple use a friend for an extra pair of hands and so that the child should know his biological father? Or is that base covered because there is a man in the relationship?????

Not all couples have a male friend they can ask. Not all donors want to be involved, they are just that - a donor. Someone donating sperm so that a "family" - a self contained unit - can have children.

I feel that your comment, 2unwanted_cents, simplified a very complex issue and glossed over the realities of assisted fertility.

If you're saying that children need a male figure in their life and will have a lesser existence as a result of having a two-mom family, I think you should go and say that to all the single-mom/granny/aunty families and see what sort of response you get.

I am in a lesbian relationship, I will be a parent. I will use donor sperm. My partner and I will not need an extra pair of hands. Our donor is non-anonymous, which in donor clinic terms means that he will reply to contact from my child (should my child wish to contact him when they turn 18). It does not mean that he will do night feeds, wipe snotty noses, be there for first steps, words or days at school. He has his own family, and is contributing only sperm to mine. Incidentally, the donor and his wife had to use donated eggs to have their family, and the woman who donated the egg is not lending hands, ears or any other parts to their parenting process.

So my dear 2unwanted-cents, before you just throw things out there again, spare a thought for all the heterosexual and same sex families out there who are raising children following the use of donor sperm/eggs, and keep your unconsidered advice to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Also in Northern Ireland theres an Org called LASI - Lesbian advocacy services Initiative - They help with all sorts of things including starting a family, Maybe they can point you in the right direction?

http://www.lasionline.org/

A friend of mine works in LASI and she and her partner have just become new mums, so I'm certain they'll have excellent advice.

Congrats to all of you who got your babies and best of luck to those in the planning stages.

Many couples in Ireland use assisted fertility to help them start a family, both heterosexual couples and same sex.

In a number of heterosexual couples seeking treatment, the male partner has a low sperm count/motility problem etc. The heterosexual couple then has the option to use donor sperm. Should this heterosexual couple use a friend for an extra pair of hands and so that the child should know his biological father? Or is that base covered because there is a man in the relationship?????

Not all couples have a male friend they can ask. Not all donors want to be involved, they are just that - a donor. Someone donating sperm so that a "family" - a self contained unit - can have children.

I feel that your comment, 2unwanted_cents, simplified a very complex issue and glossed over the realities of assisted fertility.

If you're saying that children need a male figure in their life and will have a lesser existence as a result of having a two-mom family, I think you should go and say that to all the single-mom/granny/aunty families and see what sort of response you get.

I am in a lesbian relationship, I will be a parent. I will use donor sperm. My partner and I will not need an extra pair of hands. Our donor is non-anonymous, which in donor clinic terms means that he will reply to contact from my child (should my child wish to contact him when they turn 18). It does not mean that he will do night feeds, wipe snotty noses, be there for first steps, words or days at school. He has his own family, and is contributing only sperm to mine. Incidentally, the donor and his wife had to use donated eggs to have their family, and the woman who donated the egg is not lending hands, ears or any other parts to their parenting process.

So my dear 2unwanted-cents, before you just throw things out there again, spare a thought for all the heterosexual and same sex families out there who are raising children following the use of donor sperm/eggs, and keep your unconsidered advice to yourself.

My word, what an unnecessary attack, my unconsidered advice!!! It was a considered opinion which is still valid. I never suggest that two mothers can't raise the child. I simply feel that when an option is there for a third person to be involved in the childs life who is contributing something considerable , their genes, then why not.

To answer your statement on male figures. Of course ideally children of both sexes need a male figure in their life but that doesn't always have to come from the parents, that might be an uncle, a teacher or a friend of the family.

This response has put so many of your own opinions that do not in any way relate to my original post that I feel it's more a regurgitation of lots of arguments that you have been having with yourself and other people since you decided to have children.

I have no doubt that 2 women, 2 men, a single parent can raise a healthy and happy child and as I said in my previous post that the laws regarding same sex parenting need to be changed in this country. But if a child can have access to their biological father as they are growing up and be able to get to know him during these informative years then surely that is only a good thing and this in no way reflects you or your partners ability to raise a child as sole parents.

So before you discount that person as just a donor you might want to think very carefully if your child will see it that way.

Oh and I found your patronising last paragraph very annoying "my dear" Chick_chick.

Hi we're a male couple.

Reading through this thread and the accounts in it, strike a cord for our own situation. We've talked about having kid(s) but there's almost no information on how to go about it. Surrogacy doesn't seem to be strictly legal in Ireland.

Does anyone have any advice or direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Chick_chick

I simply feel that when an option is there for a third person to be involved in the childs life who is contributing something considerable , their genes, then why not.

[...]

So before you discount that person as just a donor you might want to think very carefully if your child will see it that way.

Oh and I found your patronising last paragraph very annoying "my dear" Chick_chick.

Apologies if you found my reply patronising. I found yours pretty patronising too, so we're even :)

Re the donor: The main sperm bank for Europe is based in Denmark. Someone posted a link to it in an earlier post, so you can have a look to see what I'm talking about. Denmark is where the sperm donor resides. The non-anonymity only stretches as far as contact when the child turns 18. That's all the donor (or any non-anonymous donor from the sperm bank) wants. It's not a case of me and my partner deciding that we want the donor in this case to do this, it's the policy of the sperm bank. At least with the non-anonymous donors there is some form of contact at some stage along with a photo. There are elements to the whole assisted fertility process that I feel you're not clear on. I wasn't clear on them either when we started our research well over a year ago. I wish there was a simple one-stop shop with all the answers for people, gay, lesbian and straight.

And the reason that the sperm bank is the one we're using, it's because that's the bank that the fertility clinic uses, and it's 100% certified to provide medically sound, clean sperm with a certain level of motility and all these other things. We wanted to use an Irish fertility clinic because of the immediacy of the doctors, rather than go to England as people have done in the past. There are no sperm banks in Ireland, so the option of accessing the same level of care in an Irish context where the child would be able to contact the donor and all the rest just isnt possible. Who knows when that will develop in Ireland. There are no laws at the moment and the religious lobby would probably be against the whole thing anyway!

So anyway, 2unwantedcents, apologies if you felt my reply was negative. I felt that you just assumed that the decisions that lesbian couples made about donors and access and contact were made lightly, when in actual fact, when couples go to fertility clinics (well the one we went to anyway) they are presented with the donor sperm clinic in Denmark and asked to choose anonymous (no contact ever) or non-anonymous (contact when the child turns 18). We, and many other couples, don't have a male friend we can ask, so that's the craic.

I really do apologise if you felt my previous post was negative or un-called for. It's just so important that all the facts are out there regarding the realities of using donor sperm. Apologies again.

In reply to GayCouple, the only information that I can think of about surrogacy is that documentary that was on last week. Gay Daddy. The English couple who run the surrogacy agency who were featured were on Ray D'arcy the other day as well. Maybe there's a podcast? Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

GayCouple wrote: »
    Hi we're a male couple.

Reading through this thread and the accounts in it, strike a cord for our own situation. We've talked about having kid(s) but there's almost no information on how to go about it. Surrogacy doesn't seem to be strictly legal in Ireland.

Does anyone have any advice or direction?

Did you watch Gay Daddy.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10053405

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hello,

An extra pair of hands
    etc

C. ; )

Why would they need an extra pair of hands? What about the possible custody complications? As someone with an adopted older brother and as godmother to a beautiful little boy who was born premature when his "natural father" kicked his mother in the stomach I find the implicit message that one needs a connection with their biological father a little insulting.

My parents did not request the involvement of my brothers birth mother because they needed more "hands on" help.

My best friend successfully obtained a protection order to ensure that her baby's natural father could not provide "hands on" help.(And we all know what his idea of "hands on" is - hands on her and most likely after a while, on the defenceless child).

An ejacualtion does not make a father.

I think you have insulted a lot of people with your post - single mothers, single fathers, straight couples who have adopted, infertile couples who have used assisted reproduction, gay couples planning to adopt or use assisted reproduction... Not to mention all the poor, disadvantaged families who (God love them) only have two parents raising the children, as distinct from those "3 parent families" that you seem to hold in such regard.

KDII wrote: »
    So weird, myself and my girlfriend literally sitting here googling this exact subject and arguing about who should get to be pregnant first .. Don't really have anything to contribute but felt the need to wish you the best of luck :)
    Wish I had that problem! We both want kids but my partner doesn't want to be pregnant :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - let's not get into rows here

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement