Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will Donegal vote in the Marriage Equality referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Madam wrote: »
    I hope there's an overwhelming yes for Donegal - it's time you were carried kicking and screaming into the 21st century(not all of you but those oul yins who are still stuck)! Out of my big number of cousins(who I'm in touch with) there's only one who admits he'll vote no:rolleyes:

You say that as if it would be disapproved of if a relative decided to vote NO?

Do you not believe in someone having a different viewpoint to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

NIMAN wrote: »

I assume she means that she would be disappointed to think a relative doesn't want to or agree with allowing gay people to have the same legal rights to marry as everybody else.

Which is what the referendum is about.

... which is that relatives right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

... which is that relatives right.

As it is the right of the poster to disapprove. Respecting rights and respecting opinions are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'm hoping we change our habit of a lifetime and actually vote yes for a change.

I haven't seen any campaigners call to my door but I agree with a previous poster in that a lot of yes campaigners are actually sickening to listen to. The no campaigners are more sickening though so I'm not surprised they haven't bothered calling door to door.

I have aunts & uncles who will be voting no even though they have gay (extended) family members so I really can't call how Donegal will vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Not at all - I was being a little facetious, as in there's always someone who's different in a family or who likes to shake other members up a bit(this person is a real wind up merchant but in a nice way most of the time). I don't live in Donegal(not for a long time)why would I have a beef with someone who voted the way they feel? I gave an opinion in how I would vote if I still lived there nothing more:) Hopefully you'll all still get on with each other after the vote - much like we had to in Scotland after the referendum!

Hopefully you'll all still get on with each other after the vote - much like we had to in Scotland after the referendum!

b91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

I will be voting No.

The referendum should be adding civil partnership to the constitution.

If we were adding civil partnership to the constitution I would vote yes but as it is about re-defining marriage I will be voting no.

Same sex partnerships have all the protection they need under civil partnership - property, pensions etc. This needs to be added to the constitution.

Marriage does not and should not be re-defined.

WM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

water-man wrote: »
    I will be voting No.

The referendum should be adding civil partnership to the constitution.

If we were adding civil partnership to the constitution I would vote yes but as it is about re-defining marriage I will be voting no.

Same sex partnerships have all the protection they need under civil partnership - property, pensions etc. This needs to be added to the constitution.

Marriage does not and should not be re-defined.

WM.

I'm just wondering if you're aware that there's actually a big difference between civil partnership and civil marriage, and that this referendum is not redefining marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if you're aware that there's actually a big difference between civil partnership and civil marriage, and that this referendum is not redefining marriage?

Something like 160 differences isn't it?

Tbh I just cant see any argument against it. Its equal rights in the eyes of the state. It wont be recognised by the catholic or any church so if its religious reasons... And he's up there... God can make his own judgement.
    Lets face it if people followed that part of the bible there would be no pork or working on Sundays.

But... Its Donegal... So I fear the result. Heard a poll where they said its basically going to be if more than 45-50% turn out for a yes. Shows the importance this time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Rather surprised at the confidence for a Yes vote, here in Kerry North, Tralee will be a solid Yes, but the rural areas will probably tilt it narrowly into the No camp. Letterkenny has a decent population, but overall, one would have thought Donegal was more rural than Kerry. Still, hopefully I'm wrong on both counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Canvassing today in Ballybofey - a good few No but more Yes, hopefully it'll be reflected in the polls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

It's a yes from me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Given the number of Donegal gay folk I know, if they can all get their families to support them, along with the right thinking folk, it will be a yes (and the sky will not fall in).

55:45 in favour of yes in this thread poll.

Let's see if we're representative..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm not voting as i'm in dublin and my vote is in Donegal SW, couldn't get it switched in time.

That said, id not be surprised if Yes wins in Donegal, a lot of the older folk I know who I would have presumed would have been voting no are actually voting yes, including a couple of priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Pique wrote: »
    55:45 in favour of yes in this thread poll.

Let's see if we're representative..

the polls not how we'll vote but how we think the majority of others in donegal will vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Rather surprised at the confidence for a Yes vote, here in Kerry North, Tralee will be a solid Yes, but the rural areas will probably tilt it narrowly into the No camp. Letterkenny has a decent population, but overall, one would have thought Donegal was more rural than Kerry. Still, hopefully I'm wrong on both counts!

Apparently Donegal has 20,000 more than Kerry and Kerry has 9 towns over 1,000 while Donegal has 18. Still think Donegal will vote no and that will be pretty embarrassing ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

27 out of 44 boxes in Donegal South West opened. Unofficial tally running Yes 54% Yes 46%

Marriage referendum tallies for Donegal NE still show 54% Yes and 46% No, after about a third of all NE boxes opened

Good to see a Donegal YES vote. We aren't so backward after all.

Donegal says YES, who'd have thunk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Final results:

Donegal NE - Yes = 16,040. No = 14,492. Turnout = 51.40%
    Donegal SW - Yes = 15,907. No = 15,874. Turnout = 51.56%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Arranmore contributing 20 of the 33 margin in D-SW going on the tallies from the two boxes there. I may be from a small rock in the ocean but its an accepting small rock...

Great to see us vote Yes. Also yet more proof that every single vote does count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Wonder how it would have turned out if the other 48% had bothered to vote. Genuine question.
    Referenda and elections are won by a determined majority of those that bother to vote, not of the overall electorate. A little over 25% of the electorate voted in favour in Donegal then. Something like 30 odd % nationally.
    That's the way it has always been and always will be - skewed, but that's democracy I guess, flawed but what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Good to see a Donegal YES vote. We aren't so backward after all.

Donegal says YES, who'd have thunk it.

So, anyone who voted 'no' is backward?

Congratulations Donegal you did it with pride and dignity(yes's and no's):) Proud of yis today!

Right or wrong - perceived so outside your wee bubble:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

excollier wrote: »
    Wonder how it would have turned out if the other 48% had bothered to vote. Genuine question.
    Referenda and elections are won by a determined majority of those that bother to vote, not of the overall electorate.

It is a good question. While there are those who couldn't be bothered to vote and those who simply didn't care either way there are also those who honestly didn't know what to do and decided to accept the will of a majority of those who did.
    At least the turnout this time was 'respectable', compared to the Seanad and Childrens' referendums where the low turnout should have lead to serious questions about how we engage with democracy and if a poll of less than half of the electorate should be valid.

There is also a marked reluctance to tackle the problems of accuracy of the register. Many of those who din't vote in fact couldn't vote because they are dead, are living abroad, have moved or have a vote elsewhere. Until we have an accurate register we can't know what the true turnout it.

In my opinion, no voters were either backward or else simply not intelligent enough to be able to separate the nonsense from the issue being voted on.

That's the marvellous thing about opinions though; we're all entitled to one. :)

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    It is a good question. While there are those who couldn't be bothered to vote and those who simply didn't care either way there are also those who honestly didn't know what to do and decided to accept the will of a majority of those who did.
    At least the turnout this time was 'respectable', compared to the Seanad and Childrens' referendums where the low turnout should have lead to serious questions about how we engage with democracy and if a poll of less than half of the electorate should be valid.
    It also frustrates me when people don't use their vote but that's the great thing about democracy - we all have the right to vote but equally we have the right not to bother our arse if we don't want to.
    There is also a marked reluctance to tackle the problems of accuracy of the register. Many of those who din't vote in fact couldn't vote because they are dead, are living abroad, have moved or have a vote elsewhere. Until we have an accurate register we can't know what the true turnout it.
    I would also add those who travelled home to vote into the above. Even though I'm guessing the real number who came home was hugely exaggerated in the name of fabulousness, I'd wonder how many of them should have been allowed vote under ordinarily resident rules.

Advertisement