Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will Donegal vote in the Marriage Equality referendum?

Options
  • 15-05-2015 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Had this conversation with a good few people now.

Many from outside Donegal think that we'll vote No (because we have the reputation of voting no for everything) but a good few people from Donegal have suggested that Donegal's "underdog" feeling will lead to a Yes vote.

What do we think?

How will Donegal vote? 21 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalabu

Aye I am and voting no. The yes might win but it could be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Disagree, think Donegal will vote YES in big numbers.

I think the reason Donegal votes No traditionally is because it has a large number of people who are on the left politically, and voting no or anti-everything is generally against what the Gov wants.

But in this case Sinn Fein is calling for a YES vote, and typically the left are liberal when it comes to issues such as gay rights etc, so we will vote YES in big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Prediction from myself: I think its going to be very tight with the yes vote winning out at the end of the day......just.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I will be voting yes and I really hope it is a yes win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I will be voting yes and I really hope it is a yes win

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

NIMAN wrote: »
    Disagree, think Donegal will vote YES in big numbers.

I think the reason Donegal votes No traditionally is because it has a large number of people who are on the left politically, and voting no or anti-everything is generally against what the Gov wants.

But in this case Sinn Fein is calling for a YES vote, and typically the left are liberal when it comes to issues such as gay rights etc, so we will vote YES in big numbers.

Sinn Fein is a protest vote up here and whatever they say will be taken with a pinch of salt.Up Until a 2010 by election there was no Sinn Fein TDs in Donegals 6 seats ever. Honestly if you think Donegal is a Left-liberal stronghold I think your in for a shock.Mc hugh, O domhnaill, Mc Gingley or McConalogue aren't exactly championing a yes vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I think Donegal will vote NO as I feel there are alot of NO voters out there who don't wish to express there opinion publicly, which may be skewing any polls etc.

It will probably be a yes vote overall over the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I predict a fifty point something for Yes and a forty nine point something for No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

As an aside, 2 of the 3 letters published in this weeks Donegal News were advocating a No vote (even if one of them tried to correlate being gay with being a No voter).

I have no great hopes for Donegal voting Yes. I hope I'm wrong but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I really hope Donegal votes yes but I wouldn't be confident of it.

I'm a lesbian from Donegal but I moved to Dublin a few years ago. I'm never 100% comfortable when I go home. For example, at Christmas I brought my civil partner to the local for a few drinks and, I'm not joking, there were a parade of people who would normally never open their mouths to me if they met me in the shop, all lining up to say hello to both of us. It was really weird!

If Donegal voted yes I would definitely feel more confident when I go home and feel a lot more accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

I firmly expect a no from Donegal, but a yes overall. Which is sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

im voting yes, everyone i know is voting yes

but i think tne no side will win by a landslide. (same thing nationally)

Starting to doubt myself now, I would have put money on a YES from Donegal.

Still think it will be,but perhaps a lot tighter than I said initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

donegal. wrote: »
    im voting yes, everyone i know is voting yes

but i think tne no side will win by a landslide. (same thing nationally)

There you have it: Donegal votes yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Hear there was a big presence from the Yes campaign in Ballybofey at the match yesterday and their flyers had a nice picture of Eamonn McGee which was popular even with those who said they were voting No but took a leaflet anyway.

No evidence of a No canvass which is strange when there were (allowing for children and Tyrone fans) at least 10,000 potential voters in one place.

echo beach wrote: »
    No evidence of a No canvass which is strange when there were (allowing for children and Tyrone fans) at least 10,000 potential voters in one place.
    Anecdotally I've heard from a few that there is a lot of anger towards No groups because of their posters. A lot of single parents feel insulted at the implication that their families are not good enough. Mind you, that's just in my little circle of family/friends, but maybe they didn't want to risk a lot of angry people in one place? It's different when you can walk away from someone's doorstep.

Vojera wrote: »
    Anecdotally I've heard from a few that there is a lot of anger towards No groups because of their posters. A lot of single parents feel insulted at the implication that their families are not good enough. Mind you, that's just in my little circle of family/friends, but maybe they didn't want to risk a lot of angry people in one place? It's different when you can walk away from someone's doorstep.

Also anecdotally, everyone I know had the same opinion.

Pretty much everyone that isn't a hardened 2 parent unit with only hardened 2 parent unit friends was offended by the posters being used.

Everyone who has ever adopted, been adopted, used or been a surrogate, is single with kids, widowed with kids, divorced with kids, or knows anyone who belongs to those groups is directly insulted by those posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Where I am the older churchgoing contingent seem to be solidly No. One person that I spoke to seemed to assume that because I care for my Dad I was a conservative Catholic and was going to vote No. I'm voting yes but if I was able to get out and lay a bet, I'd bet that Donegal will vote No. Anyone who thinks that Donegal is left-liberal would want to look a bit more closely at the community.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Where I am the older churchgoing contingent seem to be solidly No. One person that I spoke to seemed to assume that because I care for my Dad I was a conservative Catholic and was going to vote No. I'm voting yes but if I was able to get out and lay a bet, I'd bet that Donegal will vote No. Anyone who thinks that Donegal is left-liberal would want to look a bit more closely at the community.

I suppose I was using the fact that sf topped both constituencies to assume Donegal was left leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

I hope the independent county of Donegal bucks the national trend as usual and votes NO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

I really hope Donegal votes yes but I wouldn't be confident of it.

I'm a lesbian from Donegal but I moved to Dublin a few years ago. I'm never 100% comfortable when I go home. For example, at Christmas I brought my civil partner to the local for a few drinks and, I'm not joking, there were a parade of people who would normally never open their mouths to me if they met me in the shop, all lining up to say hello to both of us. It was really weird!

If Donegal voted yes I would definitely feel more confident when I go home and feel a lot more accepted.

You could be reading to much into things if you haven't been around in a while they were probably wondering what you were up to(being nosey). And a pub with drink at xmas is a completely different atmosphere to meeting someone randomly in tesco.

As a lesbian perhaps they where telling you what you wanted to hear/reassure you. Are they going to be offended when you can get married and be called a family under the constitution while even with children they are not? or will the conveniently forget the offence.
    Flibbles wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone that isn't a hardened 2 parent unit with only hardened 2 parent unit friends was offended by the posters being used.

Everyone who has ever adopted, been adopted, used or been a surrogate, is single with kids, widowed with kids, divorced with kids, or knows anyone who belongs to those groups is directly insulted by those posters.

All lone parents want to be a 2 parent unit so perhaps it's more jealously of their friends situation rather then genuine offence.

I'd say most children in those situations would love to know/have their biological father and mother together which I think is the point of the posters. It's the children rather then the parents feelings that's the heart of the no campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

doc11 wrote: »
    It's the children rather then the parents feelings that's the heart of the no campaign.

Nice to know that. The people who supported the Magdalen Laundries weren't too hot on Children's Rights back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Poll added, now that I've figured out how to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's the children rather then the parents feelings that's the heart of the no campaign.

I disagree completely with that. It's just the idea they are putting forward rather than consideration of the children. If they really cared about children, they'd encourage tolerance, acceptance and integration of all persons.

I've heard a lot of the 'won't you think of the children' stuff about the referendum and one of the main topics is how this will impact gay kids, which is important. But I also wonder what it will say to the straight kids, particularly if its not passed - will bullying get worse? Is harassment of gays kids now justified? Are kids with one parent now fair game?

Back on topic - I've no idea how Donegal will vote. I've not been home but I will be to vote. When I was back a few weeks ago, there was a Yes meeting in Letterkenny, but the No campaign had the place plastered in posters. I'm hoping it passes though, but there is that bit of doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I really think it will be a No vote. I had hopes of it being a Yes vote but they were squashed somewhat by a status on Facebook put up by a young lad (20/21ish) advocating a No vote. The lad is fairly popular and the status got over 50 likes and some of the comments were horrendous, things like "I'm voting No, want none of those gays near me" and things like that.

Lets hope bigots like that don't actually take the time to vote so.

You could be reading to much into things if you haven't been around in a while they were probably wondering what you were up to(being nosey). And a pub with drink at xmas is a completely different atmosphere to meeting someone randomly in tesco.
    No, I don't think so. These are people who have previously not spoken to me when I've been in the pub with my family. It was purely to see the "wife" they were over :p
    As a lesbian perhaps they where telling you what you wanted to hear/reassure you. Are they going to be offended when you can get married and be called a family under the constitution while even with children they are not? or will the conveniently forget the offence.
    Nah, they know me well enough that there's no need to try to sugar coat things for me. I'm the one telling them that I'm not confident of it passing and that they need to get out and vote.

As for the offence, the difference is that single parents and their children are already classed as a family by our constitution, whether Iona and their ilk think so or not. And I'm confident that if the referendum passes that the no voters still won't see me and my partner as a family once we get married, but we'll be equal under the law and that's all that matters.

All lone parents want to be a 2 parent unit so perhaps it's more jealously of their friends situation rather then genuine offence.

I actually have no words.

I'd say most children in those situations would love to know/have their biological father and mother together which I think is the point of the posters. It's the children rather then the parents feelings that's the heart of the no campaign.

Except the referendum has nothing to do with children having parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Think it will be tight in Donegal and could easily see the No vote winning. I think there is still a strong enough conservatism in Donegal that will reject the vote. Remember there is more of an older generation in Donegal who are stuck in their ways still and they are the strongest voters as well.

Both sides have shown poor form in canvassing, the No side for their misleading propaganda regards children, adoption etc which this vote has nothing to do with. Also the promotion of what a traditional family unit should be on posters etc. That ship sailed a long time ago with single parents, separated parents with children marrying other separated parents etc, it is far removed from what the Catholic Church promote and they are leading the charge for the No vote.

On the Yes side, the disdain shown for anyone who chooses to vote No by the Yes side is highly disrespectful and undemocratic. Even if they have poor reasons for voting No, it is still their democratic right to do so. That is why it is a referendum in the first place. I think the attitude of the Yes side will push some to vote No. They may be seen to be wrong but it is their entitlement to be wrong and insulting them is not going to change their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I hope there's an overwhelming yes for Donegal - it's time you were carried kicking and screaming into the 21st century(not all of you but those oul yins who are still stuck)! Out of my big number of cousins(who I'm in touch with) there's only one who admits he'll vote no:rolleyes:

Advertisement