Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Julien Blanc gets destroyed in CNN interview

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

He's far from a creep.he's a guy who's good with women

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You must have missed the bit about him shoving women's faces into his crotch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

So was Mussolini.

Just watch some videos of him on YouTube.

There's a good few where bbc journalists go hang out with him, or investigative journalists go see what he's all about.

Or just watch any videos with him.

Yes he's said and written some very stupid things but people are making up their minds by just reading about him rather than watching any of him and what he says.

The amount of people posting in this thread who have watched more than 4/5 of his videos is miniscule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Yes he's said and written some very stupid things but people are making up their minds by just reading about him rather than watching any of him and what he says.

The amount of people posting in this thread who have watched more than 4/5 of his videos is miniscule

It doesn't really matter if people have only watched a handful of his videos, if he's occasionally that much of a b@stard you don't need to watch 50 more of his videos where he is more toned down to know he's still a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

It doesn't really matter if people have only watched a handful of his videos, if he's occasionally that much of a b@stard you don't need to watch 50 more of his videos where he is more toned down to know he's still a prick.

The thing is guys like blanc make it easy to claim everyone involved in pua is some sort of sexist woman hating pig in the same way the people like andrea dworkin and Janice Raymond make it easy to dismiss all feminists as radical extremists

I do wish people within those communities were quicker to distance themselves from people like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I've heard about those "RSD" lads before and was linked a video of the founder or leader a while ago. They all seemed like they had ADHD or something...there's a very weird aura about them all. I have no problem with anyone searching for dating advice, it's a free world. I would just wonder why anyone would follow the advice off a fellow who looks and sounds like he does computer repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So negging is all you have? After seeing 'a lot of other PUA stuff' that was 'degrading', 'deplorable', and 'awful to women', you've posted the only other debatably negative technique that is widely known and mentioned several times on this thread. Looks to me that someone has done little to no research themselves and has instead just regurgitation what they've heard from others.

I note you fail to present anything positive about PUA once again. I take it from that simple inability to present anything positive, that I am right.

BTW, it wasn't just negging I also mention Blanc, who you know encourages assault, which you some how conventionally forget all about.

BTW, not just him either:
    Redditor's PUA Kickstarter Project Recommends Sexual Assault
    I don't actually believe in a lot of cases that negging is any of those things you listed and it's something that many women (especially in the case of Irish women) do a lot. Many times I've been chatting to women and they'll playfully make fun of something I say, do, wearing. Many Irish people would call it friendly banter.

Wait, so now your actually defending "negging", and calling it banter. Its amazing that you are going out of your way to prove me right, by defending a bunch of assholes targeting vulnerable people.

See, I asked a simple question, that you or other PUA apologists have failed to answer, and are asking me to justify my view. I don't have to justify a damn thing, I don't give a crap about PUA, it means exactly nothing to me.

I asked you provide example to change my opinion, as all the information on PUA is entirely negative. Now, instead of showing me all the positive PUA (which I can only conclude doesn't exist as per you response) stuff, you go on the defensive instead.
    I'm simply asking you to justify your statement. Am I not allowed to do that and must take it onboard without providing any examples for the many PUA techniques that you find deplorable?

I asked my question first, that you didn't answer, why should I bother answering yours? Also, you defense of negging above clearly shows you don't have issues with the nasty PUA stuff.
    I'm not here to defend all PUA, I'm simply asking posters to justify why they feel so strongly against it, when they seemingly have very little to back up their opinion, and then why it's not hypocritical to denounce a group of people altering their personalities when they themselves are constantly altering their appearance.

Its not just altering there personalities, its basically a sexual assault hand book, from all the information I have seen.

Sorry, all I am seeing is someone who turned an opportunity to show how not all PUA are the same, and instead refused to do so, and asked me to justify my negative opinion. Well your defense of negging hasn't helped your causes, and you know Julien Blanc hasn't helped it either. Nor has the various stuff I have read online helped either.

As I said before, i could care less about PUA, or its users, and if you can't be bothered to answer a simple question, then I see no reason to re-evaluate my opinion of PUA.

**EDIT**
    Another poster was nice enough to answer my simple question, but there is clearly a toxic element, that some people are far to happy to defend, when any reasonable person would you know condemn. Look not further than a post earlier on this page for an example of this.
    **END EDIT**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Just watch some videos of him on YouTube.

There's a good few where bbc journalists go hang out with him, or investigative journalists go see what he's all about.

Or just watch any videos with him.

Yeh, again I'm reeeeeeally not understanding the downplaying of his behaviour.
    He's not just "said and written", he's done. Refusing a Visa is possibly a bridge too far IMO and I really dislike witch-hunts, but martyring of him is unnecessary too.
    tritium wrote: »
    The thing is guys like blanc make it easy to claim everyone involved in pua is some sort of sexist woman hating pig in the same way the people like andrea dworkin and Janice Raymond make it easy to dismiss all feminists as radical extremists
    PUA teachers are not all like Blanc of course (and guys who sign up for PUA are usually just trying to improve their chances of meeting women) - giving guys tips to improve their confidence is great. When the line is crossed and there's the negging, and basically seeing women as not to be viewed with positivity, a piece of prey, a challenge, this is not palatable - it really isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Yeh, again I'm reeeeeeally not understanding the downplaying of his behaviour.
    He's not just "said and written", he's done. Refusing a Visa is possibly a bridge too far IMO and I really dislike witch-hunts, but martyring of him is unnecessary too.

PUA teachers are not all like Blanc of course (and guys who sign up for PUA are usually just trying to improve their chances of meeting women) - giving guys tips to improve their confidence is great. When the line is crossed and there's the negging, and basically seeing women as not to be viewed with positivity, a piece of prey, a challenge, this is not palatable - it really isn't.

Someone probably flagged him as a risk. A visa is not guaranteed and if he did do something after being granted entry then questions would be asked. It seems like they are refusing it just in case.

I laughed at that "opening" video...like what does opening actually mean? A woman definitely isn't opening her skirt just by you going up to her. Really this guy needed 11 minutes to tell people to walk up to a woman and say hi? When will lads realise that a girl will not drop her knickers or slap you in the face just by you walking up to her and saying hi. It really isn't complicated. Just f*cking do it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

judging by the look of him:eek:, he's a chap that's going to remain single for a very long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

judging by the look of him:eek:, he's a chap that's going to remain single for a very long time.

Isn't that his aim?

Julien Blanc is a prick and that's all that needs to be said about him.

As for PUA more generally...ugh. Speaking in generalisations obviously, but it's such a perfect example of the differences between men and women's minds that it nearly looks like a masterful satire on the whole thing. Men see a problem: I find it difficult to talk to women, I would like a relationship/sex/whatever the case may be and my lack of confidence and social skills is preventing this. They identify a systematic, specific solution or set of solutions in PUA and set about the thing very methodically and rationally. The irony of it is that the very things that make PUA appealing to men - the concrete, clear techniques, the removal of a lot of the element of chance to social encounters, thinking of it in terms of numbers, strategy etc., are the very things which make it so unappealing to many women. Maybe I'm being naive but I'd go so far as to say the vast majority of women, at least over the age of about 20 or so when you get enough sense to pick up (ha!) on it.

If someone approaches me and tries some contrived pick up it doesn't matter if it's something like negging or if they've brought a deck of cards to the pub to do card tricks as an icebreaker or if they just open with some "intriguing" line like I bet you can't spell my name or whatever the hell. It's an instant turn off. It doesn't communicate to me that this person is confident, or fun, or anything like that. It tells me that they find me so intimidating (I'm really quite nice, honest) and so completely Other that they need an actual playbook for a perfectly normal social interaction with me. Interacting with people like that is exhausting. I haven't tabled this topic at the weekly women meeting so we don't yet have a party line on it, but I doubt I'm alone in feeling that way.

I do feel sorry for shy, lonely lads who get sucked into it, because they're going to either crash and burn, end up with some woman with even lower self-esteem than they have, or some woman who pegs how vulnerable they are and completely manipulates them.

I'm not a fan of the PUA idea as I stated before and I do think that it promotes an unhealthy mindset about human contact among some of its adherents and not just to interactions with women, you'l sometimes see posters that have bought into the package talking about "Beta" men and so on.

However sometimes I read the advice people give to guys who are having difficulty meeting someone/pulling and I think back to being a young lad and being rather cr@p with woman.
    The standard advice is to have hobbies, active social life, be comfortable and able to chat to the opposite sex and most importantly be happy in yourself. These are all good things but back then I had all those things (at the time probably as many female friends as male) but still had problems, to my mind for men its literally all about confidence.
    Luckily confidence landed in my lap for me but I can see the appeal of the PUA stuff to some guys, realistically unless your at a house party (the only times I did pull) it doesn't really matter if your a nice guy that can relate to women and are full of inner peace if you don't chance your arm nothing will happen, so if you can't get confidence naturally I can see why you would try and learn how to be "falsely" confident. (all this is from years ago maybe things have changed)
    And there is something wrong with a man wanting to increase his chances at casual sex which seems to be the vibe of some of the criticism even though you'd be lynched for saying a woman shouldn't have one night stands :confused:

In short while what your saying is probably completely true your perception is (probably) coloured by the fact that as a woman receiving attention from the opposite sex is to an extent passive. I'm not saying being considered as a goal/prize to be won over by members of the opposite sex is a good thing (I'd presume its pretty objectifying) but what it is, is a situation that would be foreign to most normal guys.

And there is something wrong with a man wanting to increase his chances at casual sex which seems to be the vibe of some of the criticism even though you'd be lynched for saying a woman shouldn't have one night stands :confused:

Ah come on, RDM! Who's saying that? From what I can see, people are criticising the tactics, not a man's desire to have ONSs.

• Advertisement

Ah come on, RDM! Who's saying that?

Not on here! its all been pretty reasonable apart from the re-regs but I've seen it implied in other places

People are over reacting.

Apart from a few idiotic things he's said or written, that's about it.

People say stupid stuff all the time.

He apologised publicly for it.

If pua isn't your thing and you completely misunderstand it , you should educate yourself a littleon what it entails.

Negging is not a big deal. At all.

IIn short while what your saying is probably completely true your perception is (probably) coloured by the fact that as a woman receiving attention from the opposite sex is to an extent passive. I'm not saying being considered as a goal/prize to be won over by members of the opposite sex is a good thing (I'd presume its pretty objectifying) but what it is, is a situation that would be foreign to most normal guys.

This is true. No doubt about it. It's still impossible to support PUA as The Answer though. Not sure what the answer is. What was wrong with alcohol for dutch courage anyway? :-p

people are criticising the tactics, not a man's desire to have ONSs.

What I find more worrying about the PUA thing is that it does seem to work on some people, men that want ONS will presumably keep using sh*tty tactics* if it appears to work (and even if it only works on 10% of people if you've developed a mindset of not caring about how your offputting or ruining the night of the other 90% your not going to care)

* though as far as I have seen there's plenty of guys that do the same stuff without ever having looked at PUA

Edit: I'm not supporting PUA as an answer at all its just I can understand why a guy who isn't successful would consider it when a lot of the advice while meaning and good things in general might not actually be that helpful, saying just be yourself is a nice thing to say but I'm not sure if it adds much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

wes wrote: »
    I note you fail to present anything positive about PUA once again. I take it from that simple inability to present anything positive, that I am right.

BTW, it wasn't just negging I also mention Blanc, who you know encourages assault, which you some how conventionally forget all about.

BTW, not just him either:
    Redditor's PUA Kickstarter Project Recommends Sexual Assault

You mentioned Blanc 'a lot of other PUA stuff' and what you actually have is negging and a few tools amongst thousands of different sources out there. You've clearly done little to no research before calling something 'degrading', 'deplorable', and 'awful to women'.
    Wait, so now your actually defending "negging", and calling it banter. Its amazing that you are going out of your way to prove me right, by defending a bunch of assholes targeting vulnerable people.

Yep, I defended a lot of cases of negging because generally it's playful. I'd like to think the woman who made fun of my hair last night wasn't an 'asshole' who was targeting a vulnerable person. Would you care to explain how she was?
    See, I asked a simple question, that you or other PUA apologists have failed to answer, and are asking me to justify my view. I don't have to justify a damn thing, I don't give a crap about PUA, it means exactly nothing to me.

I asked you provide example to change my opinion, as all the information on PUA is entirely negative. Now, instead of showing me all the positive PUA (which I can only conclude doesn't exist as per you response) stuff, you go on the defensive instead.

No, you came onto this thread making broad, sweeping, clearly uneducated statements about PUA which I called you out on.

You clearly feel something about it if you think it's 'degrading', 'deplorable', and 'awful to women'.

If you actually read the thread you'd see that I'd already posted a list of parts of PUA that are in no way negative (Billy86 expanded on these with a great post since then). I don't understand why you feel entitled to have me justify my opinion while you don't have to 'justify a damn thing'.
    I asked my question first, that you didn't answer, why should I bother answering yours? Also, you defense of negging above clearly shows you don't have issues with the nasty PUA stuff.

That's a pretty childish attitude. Firstly, you didn't ask me the question first, you asked another poster and, secondly, if you'd just asked the question I would have just answered it, but you included your opinion which was extremely negative about PUA claiming that you knew 'a lot' stuff that was deplorable. Just because you asked a question doesn't mean everyone has to ignore any crap throughout the rest of it.
    Its not just altering there personalities, its basically a sexual assault hand book, from all the information I have seen.

Sorry, all I am seeing is someone who turned an opportunity to show how not all PUA are the same, and instead refused to do so, and asked me to justify my negative opinion. Well your defense of negging hasn't helped your causes, and you know Julien Blanc hasn't helped it either. Nor has the various stuff I have read online helped either.

As I said before, i could care less about PUA, or its users, and if you can't be bothered to answer a simple question, then I see no reason to re-evaluate my opinion of PUA.

**EDIT**
    Another poster was nice enough to answer my simple question, but there is clearly a toxic element, that some people are far to happy to defend, when any reasonable person would you know condemn. Look not further than a post earlier on this page for an example of this.
    **END EDIT**

So after reading Billy86's post you've changed your opinion on the large majority of PUA then, that it's not 'degrading', 'deplorable', and 'awful to women'?

There's toxic elements when it comes to women's beauty industry but it's not seen as fair game to attack all women who buy makeup but it seems to be the case with PUA techniques.

Care to point out where anyone on this thread has defended the extreme things he's said?

• Advertisement

You're blaming pua for people's nights out being ruined now!?

About 10,000 more likely to be ruined by an assault, or drunk, or vomit, or place being packed, or too loud , or too hot.

The amount of pua people who would "ruin" your night is even less likely than a non-pua person ruining it

What I find more worrying about the PUA thing is that it does seem to work on some people, men that want ONS will presumably keep using sh*tty tactics* if it appears to work (and even if it only works on 10% of people if you've developed a mindset of not caring about how your offputting or ruining the night of the other 90% your not going to care)

* though as far as I have seen there's plenty of guys that do the same stuff without ever having looked at PUA

Edit: I'm not supporting PUA as an answer at all its just I can understand why a guy who isn't successful would consider it when a lot of the advice while meaning and good things in general might not actually be that helpful, saying just be yourself is a nice thing to say but I'm not sure if it adds much

I think Wibbs had a point when he said it was a number game. Men who never approached women now feel brave enough to approach women, so if they talk to enough women, they're bound to get lucky with at least one.

I suspect I was PUAed one day here in a park. Approached by some guy out of the blue and was asked some odd question then he wanted to walk with me and I politely declined. Saw him 30 minutes later approaching another woman..

I'm guessing the guy the guy must've got lucky eventually statistically speaking.

What stuff did he "do" that has outraged so many??

Made a couple of bad taste jokes?

Negging is only part of pua because it works in some instances.

Apparently being too eager and too interested is a big turn off for a lot of women.

Pua just breaks down why you are successful sometimes and unsuccessful other times.

It try's to help you have more successful encounters with women.

Success being objective

There's a balance between being overly eager and desperate and being an out and out dickhead. Can't imagine too many women with a normal amount of self worth would fall for the latter.

You can't imagine girls going for dickheads?

It's one of the oldest cliches in the book!!

Also, being a dickhead isn't what pua is. Pua tries to make you more attractive and sociable and fun to be around, not the opposite

There's a balance between being overly eager and desperate and being an out and out dickhead. Can't imagine too many women with a normal amount of self worth would fall for the latter.

If you're negging a girl and you come across like a dickhead you're doing it wrong.

Negging isn't about being mean to women, though a lot of posters here seem to think it is or want it to be.

You can't imagine girls going for dickheads?

It's one of the oldest cliches in the book!!

Do you know what a cliche is?

Exactly, people don't get what negging is.

It's about .001% of what pua is.

But it's a buzzword and people like to latch on to it

I do.

How many films have you seen where the "hot girl " is dating a dickhead.

It's a cliche it's so common.

• Advertisement

If you're negging a girl and you come across like a dickhead you're doing it wrong.

Negging isn't about being mean to women, though a lot of posters here seem to think it is or want it to be.

I don't know what planet you live on, Foxtrol. You're defending all PUA without question. Silliness. Have a little look at this video...

Stuff like this is all over Youtube.

I do.

Right. BE a dickhead then, Chancer. Best of luck to you. Just keep the fook away from me.

Basing his evidence on films. For the love of gawd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This guy is a complete shyster, along with most self help protagonists. There is no complexity involved in all this. If you get sustained eye contact and smile from a woman then it's safe to move in and start a conversation.

You're ignoring everything I've just written?

Did you not see where I wrote that pua teaches you to be the opposite of a dickhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

What stuff did he "do" that has outraged so many??

Made a couple of bad taste jokes?
    This is very dishonest of you at this stage. Putting his hand around womens' throats and saying "sh...", putting their heads against his crotch. These are videoed. The downplaying of it is bewildering... and a bit scary.

Undermining a person, even in subtle ways, bringing them down a peg or two... true, can't see a problem with that at all.

How many women have you gotten with through being a 'nice guy' and being a 'dickhead'?

You're ignoring everything I've just written?

Did you not see where I wrote that pua teaches you to be the opposite of a dickhead

WHICH PUA though? There's literally thousands of videos out there. Millions, maybe. I just posted one that teaches you to be a dickhead.

A video of a pua being a dick means nothing.

There are tens of thousands of people, if not millions, who have read about and adopted some of it's messages.

Of course there are dickheads. The same can be said for everything.

But pua itself is not in any way bad. It teaches you to be more confident, out going, better with the opposite sex, and aims at self improvement.

Pua all stems from the mystery method and then other guys branch off in different directions while keeping the main ideals.

• Advertisement

Undermining a person, even in subtle ways, bringing them down a peg or two... true, can't see a problem with that at all.

So the woman I was talking to last night who jokingly made fun of my hair is some sort of evil person now? I must go delete her number...

You're blaming pua for people's nights out being ruined now!?

About 10,000 more likely to be ruined by an assault, or drunk, or vomit, or place being packed, or too loud , or too hot.

The amount of pua people who would "ruin" your night is even less likely than a non-pua person ruining it

Ok maybe ruined is to strong a word but I guess it would be pretty annoying, and it would get even more annoying if it becomes more commonplace.
    Exactly, people don't get what negging is.

It's about .001% of what pua is.

But it's a buzzword and people like to latch on to it

But can't you see that for some men it does seem to promote this mechanistic view of social interactions, thats hardly a good thing is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I do.

If I've got this straight -

PUA teaches you how to attract the hottest girls.

PUA doesn't teach you how to be a dickhead.

All the hottest girls go for dickheads...

The point of PUA is... what then exactly?

A video of a pua being a dick means nothing.

There are tens of thousands of people, if not millions, who have read about and adopted some of it's messages.

Of course there are dickheads. The same can be said for everything.

But pua itself is not in any way bad. It teaches you to be more confident, out going, better with the opposite sex, and aims at self improvement.

It seems like a mixed bag. The problem I have is those posters who are choosing to ignore ALL negative aspects of PUA and play it down. You're defending this Julien tool ffs. If you don't believe the man is a dickhead, then we disagree on something very fundamental here making the discussion impossible. The fact that you DON'T consider his behaviour unacceptable doesn't help your case I'm afraid.

Pua all stems from the mystery method and then other guys branch off in different directions while keeping the main ideals.

That mystery guy? I saw a video actually saying that the rsd guys learned from him and then started rsd and part of the agreement they make 'students' sign is to not teach pua for 4 years after they finished

What it does or doesn't do for "some men" shouldn't detract from pua.

Religion makes some men do bad things.

So does money.

And politics.

And food.

But pua itself is a good thing

• Advertisement

This is not true. From my brief understanding of PUA, the Mystery Method was about using recited lines and techniques. Most of PUA or Dating Advice focuses on "natural game" which is the complete opposite of Mystery Method and the stuff in Neil Strauss' book.

If I've got this straight -

PUA teaches you how to attract the hottest girls.

PUA doesn't teach you how to be a dickhead.

All the hottest girls go for dickheads...

The point of PUA is... what then exactly?

No. It teaches you how to be attractive.

Not all girls go for dickheads. Some do. Lots don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So the woman I was talking to last night who jokingly made fun of my hair is some sort of evil person now? I must go delete her number...

If she was deliberately using a strategy of undermining you so you would go out with her, then hell yeah. That's a seriously manipulative approach to relationships that doesn't augur well, IMO.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

This is not true. From my brief understanding of PUA, the Mystery Method was about using recited lines and techniques. Most of PUA or Dating Advice focuses on "natural game" which is the complete opposite of Mystery Method and the stuff in Neil Strauss' book.

Mystery was the first person to give all this stuff names, the pua phrases.

Then others came along and improved upon it. Others made it worse.

The aim for everybody is to be a natural. Understanding why a natural is so good is what pua is all about!!

I don't know what planet you live on, Foxtrol. You're defending all PUA without question. Silliness. Have a little look at this video...

Stuff like this is all over Youtube.

Firstly, I would never take advice from a guy wearing sunglasses inside and clearly hasn't really planned what he was going to say. He never actually went into how to incorporate his perspective into talking to a woman, as his bravado would never hold up. I stand by what I said that if you're negging a woman and you come across like a dickhead, you're doing it wrong.

I don't know what planet you're living on or what thread you're reading as I haven't been defending PUA without question. I'm not defending all negging, I'm saying all negging isn't evil.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement