Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

[...]And I also hate people complaining about "ye." It's a perfectly cromulent word that's quite useful, making it clear you're talking to multiple people.

Not sure if you're being facetious here but 'ye' is actually an old spelling of 'the'. Comes from differences, over time, in type-facing the character 'thorn' (which produced the 'th' sound) in Old English. Eventually it morphed into something that looked like a 'Y'.

English is, oddly, one of the few languages that doesn't have a specific word for the pluralised form of 'you'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    So do you pronounce 'three' differently to 'tree'?
    :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

twinQuins wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being facetious here but 'ye' is actually an old spelling of 'the'. Comes from differences, over time, in type-facing the character 'thorn' (which produced the 'th' sound) in Old English. Eventually it morphed into something that looked like a 'Y'.

English is, oddly, one of the few languages that doesn't have a specific word for the pluralised form of 'you'.

Not being facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

twinQuins wrote: »

I thought both existed. Ye being "the" and Ge (pronounced ye) being "ye" as a plural of you (or thou as it would have been).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone adding a h to the word assume can go *%#! themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

People pronounce it like that because most words beginning with "th" are pronounced with the same sound as in "thigh," "thirty" etc. and most people don't mention the country too often. It might be more common in Ireland as some people here pronounce words like "Thomas" and "Thames" with with the "h" as well.

I don't understand how people don't understand why many people pronounce the word this way.

I have friends from all over Europe, and the only people whoi don't seem to know about the silent H in Thailand are (some) people from Ireland! Even RTE have got to grips with the silent H in recent years, but you will still hear THIGH from many Irish people, which I find annoying :))

A Tree is a tree, and three is a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Fillem instead of Film.
    Tree instead of Three.
    Boner instead of Bonner.

And people that say As PER usual.....its just As usual. No need for the PER part at all. Its the same as saying AS AS usual. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have friends from all over Europe, and the only people whoi don't seem to know about the silent H in Thailand are (some) people from Ireland! Even RTE have got to grips with the silent H in recent years, but you will still hear THIGH from many Irish people, which I find annoying :))

A Tree is a tree, and three is a number.

That last sentence is exactly why lots of people pronounce the "h" in Thailand, as doing so conforms to the general pattern of pronouncing "t" and "th," even if it's strictly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

A friend of mine recently said "chester drawers" instead of "chest of drawers".

Where is the letter "H" gone? Lately the h has become silent with "an" before it.
    "An Horrible thing happened"

That is grammatically correct.

Solely in terms of pronunciation: "an undred" is as acceptable as "a hundred"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I had a teacher who used to pronounce 'yesterday' as 'YERsterday', drove me bonkers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I thought both existed. Ye being "the" and Ge (pronounced ye) being "ye" as a plural of you (or thou as it would have been).

Yes, English did at one point have that pronoun but it simply doesn't exist in the modern language and hasn't for a long time. My point was one that people see and hear 'ye' being used and assume it's the pluralised form of 'you'.

Assuming that most people conflate Early Modern English with Old English, those that use it probably don't realise just how anachronistic it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

Cool whip (cool hwhip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The way Ann Doyle used to pronounce 'sexual' like 'secksual', and pronouncing the 's' sounds in 'issue' and 'tissue' instead of saying it like 'ishoo' and 'tishoo'.

People who say"personally speaking for myself"

We understood when you said 'personally' Full Stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

It's common enough to mispronounce it as "bri-kits" but that still has two syllables doesn't it?

Yeah that's what I mean. Except they say it so fast almost as if they think it should only be one syllable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The way Ann Doyle used to pronounce 'sexual' like 'secksual', and pronouncing the 's' sounds in 'issue' and 'tissue' instead of saying it like 'ishoo' and 'tishoo'.

Both pronunciations of issue are considered standard.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=issue&submit=Submit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dermighty wrote: »
    That is grammatically correct.

No it isn't - it is a false affectation based on the misconception that since the correct (posh) way to pronounce "a hotel" is "an 'otel" based on the French pronunciation that ever word beginning with H should be treated the same.

Bill Bryson, in the Penguin Dictionary of Troublesome Words, says that “the only words beginning with ‘h’ that take ‘an’ are heir, hour, honour, and honest”

Now if we could convince Americans that it is a herb, not an 'erb.

ruthloss wrote: »
    People who say"personally speaking for myself"

We understood when you said 'personally' Full Stop.

That is not a mispronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My mother says 'symthom' instead of symptom. Drives me crazy.

That is not a mispronunciation.

You are quite right, my sincere apologies.:(

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    No it isn't - it is a false affectation based on the misconception that since the correct (posh) way to pronounce "a hotel" is "an 'otel" based on the French pronunciation that ever word beginning with H should be treated the same.

Bill Bryson, in the Penguin Dictionary of Troublesome Words, says that “the only words beginning with ‘h’ that take ‘an’ are heir, hour, honour, and honest”

Now if we could convince Americans that it is a herb, not an 'erb.

Herb is an example where the original pronunciation has been retained in America while it has changed in Britain/Ireland.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-anh1.htm

The situation is complicated by a shift that has been taking place in the pronunciation of words with initial h over the past couple of centuries. At one time, many more were said with the h silent. This explains the appearance of an in old texts where we would now use a; the classic case is that of the King James Bible, where — to take the first example out of dozens — in Genesis the text reads “And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years”. A good example is that of herb, which Americans today continue to say the way their English forefathers did, without the initial h. British English has moved on, and it is now thought uneducated for British speakers to say erb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's Wingardium LeviOsa, not LeviosAR!

MadsL wrote: »

I thought one always puts an 'An' before Hotel. (an hotel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Irish people who say derrby instead of Dahbey. (Derby)

What about the Kentucky Derby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why would you randomly introduce an r into it? :confused:
    I could understand if you were from the UK maybe but puh, not pur

*sigh* I didn't. I cannot find the phonetic typeface on this computer, and was trying to find a homophone to illustrate my point. "Pur" seemed the closest I could get, I do apologise. I will re-write the post in proper phonetic alphabet later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

ruthloss wrote: »
    My Gran makes up words.

Her friend ran off to Canaidia and married a negroid.
    and her favourite music is CABINTEELEY....(Cavatina)
    She got wood 'pelvices' for her windows.:D

Does she also suffer with ulsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Shenshen wrote: »
    If you want to pronounce it Spanish, the spicy green thing is called a Ha-la-pen-yo. If you want to pronounce it English, it's Ja-la-pee-no.
    Where the bloody f*ck is Ha-la-pee-no even coming from?

The car is called Pur-shou. Not Pyew-shou. If you want to pronounce it English, call it a Pyew-jot.

And do I even need to explain that the island is either called Ee-bee-tha (Spanish) or Eye-bee-za (English)?

Seriously.

I think you're just being overly pedantic here. I have never heard jalapeno pronounced with 'enyo' pronunciation at the end: primarily because English tends not to recognise such a pronunciation. Same goes for 'pyew-zhow' and 'eye-bee-tha' (or ib-ee-tha).

These are new-ish words in the English language, so there was always going to be a period where their pronunciations shifted. They seem to be settling more-or-less in the ways that are so offensive to your ears. But I would say you're going to have to just get used to it. Remember that there are plenty of words you would use on a regular basis that are half-English/half-French pronunciations.

Fillum instead of film drives me crazy. It can't be that hard to say it properly.

Asking pronounced as 'axing' is really common, although it doesn't annoy me.

People at the gym waiting to use the 'threadmill'...it's treadmill people, no 'h'.

Guzinta - as in: The smaller bag guzinta the bigger one. A relative says this and it makes me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Americans pronouncing "herbs" as "erbz". Why don't they realise how silly they sound!
    They also call kebabs "kebobs" and see nothing funny about that.

Advertisement