Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

ruthloss wrote: »
    Did he say The 'Specific' Ocean.?:P

She would get it wrong both ways! "The 'Specific' Ocean" and "am I being pacific enough"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Candie wrote: »
    Fillum instead of film drives me crazy. It can't be that hard to say it properly.

Asking pronounced as 'axing' is really common, although it doesn't annoy me.

People at the gym waiting to use the 'threadmill'...it's treadmill people, no 'h'.

Guzinta - as in: The smaller bag guzinta the bigger one. A relative says this and it makes me cringe.

That's just an example of anaptyxis or svarabhakti. It's quite common and you should try not to let it bother you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

She would get it wrong both ways! "The 'Specific' Ocean" and "am I being pacific enough"!

God my housemate does this so often, he's 29 and still does it after (politely) mentioning that he was doing it wrong..!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really like the original pronunciation of clique, which is "kleek". Then it was click in America, not it is click here. I miss cleek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Overheard in a pub
    1. - Is it e-ther or i-ther
    2. - Shr a-ther of them will do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I knew someone once who's say 'southren' and 'westren', when it's southern and western.

Strange thing about it was that they'd pronounce northern and eastern right. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Childerns.

The Childerns Hospital.

I knew someone once who's say 'southren' and 'westren', when it's southern and western.

Ugh. And "modren".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

'Fabulis' instead of 'fabulous'. You know that ad for Kildare Village on the radio? I would like to hunt that woman down and break both her legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Comet-tee instead of committee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Coluem (Column)

Every person on national broadcast media should have this as an app!

http://howjsay.com/index.php?word=thailand&submit=Submit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

My boyfriend's dad pronounces 'real' as 'rail'!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Both pronunciations of issue are considered standard.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=issue&submit=Submit

Not in my book.

Wurly wrote: »
    My boyfriend's dad pronounces 'real' as 'rail'!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Something about Madrid maybe?

Not in my book.

www.amazon.com - couldn't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Thailand never has and never will be pronounced thighland....same with the name thompson . Some sections of Irish media are seemingly unable to grasp the concept of a silent h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When the Thompson Twins faded from the charts it was good news on two counts.

Air-ee instead of area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

When people pronounce Our as 'Awr' or 'Oar'

• Advertisement

The 'real Thompson Committee for Thailand Area' could make for a painful listening experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Vehicle pronounced as vayhicle.

Tea pronounced as cha.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

ruthloss wrote: »

there, instead of their.

They have the same pronunciation though?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Tea TAY
    Old OWL
    ROLL ROWL
    Peugeot PEWJOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

St. Stephensen's's's's's's's's Day
    Tobalerone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭con___manx1

the way Americans pronounce route and pedophile annoy the sh*t out of me.
    (ped ) o ( phile ) and rowt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Flour pronounced as flower. And vice versa.

Actually, on the topic of baking - Rachel Allen's pronunciation of just about anything! E.g. this is the first video that came up on Youtube ... even just listen to the first thirty seconds. Crumble = Cremble? Custard = Cuss-ted? Butter = Betteh? Wtf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

The way Gerry Adams say's
    Tony Blur=Tony Blair.
    Power shower= Power share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I really like the original pronunciation of clique, which is "kleek". Then it was click in America, not it is click here. I miss cleek!

I still say cleek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

When people, including my chemistry teacher the odd time, say "nu-kyi-lar" instead of "nu-clear". It irks me.

Nuclear .. it's pronounced Nuclear ... ughhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

concrate block
    as corn as
    chimley
    folly that car
    swally your dinner
    stomach ulsters
    somfink (we are now at it)
    crinimal
    the ohspital
    the azoo
    the azip
    pettoral tank
    dant is not well, dunkle is'nt much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

People who pronounce Cahill which is Ka-hill as Kay-hill. It's the first for crying out load. Usually the Brits call it Kay-hill. When you correct them, they ask "are you sure?" Yes I am bloody sure, it is one of the oldest Irish surnames and it hasn't changed in hundreds of fécking years. Also had American's tell me that they were the Ma-hone-eee's as opposed to the Mahony's, I had to ask them to spell it to even get what they were saying. Also Gallagher is pronounced Gall-a-her not Gall-ag-ger. And Kirsten is not Keeer-sten, it is Kir-sten. And Ireland is Ar-land not Ire-land. I don't do well with American tourists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I'd say about 50% of Irish people say solfadeine when they mean solpadeine.

I even know a pharmacist who does it and he totally resists correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've never heard it been called solpadeine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

tanks a millen

Thank a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

FILLUM. It drives me mad. It's film for gods sake! One syllable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I've never heard it not being called solpadeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Westminister :D

Proves my point then I suppose.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=solpadeine+logo&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=883&tbm=isch&cad=b&cad=cbv&sei=lfZZUaaJF8WzhAf2w4CQDg[/QUOTE]

That's how its spelt yes, I meant the pronunciation. It's always pronounced with an f in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Pacific when the word is clearly specific.

^^^ this

Although annoyingly I have a habit of speaking fast and specific sometimes sounds like pacific and I am always called on it!

When I was younger I couldn't say Yves Saint Laurent or Estée Lauder properly and I am still slagged about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

That's what's so great about English: it's always expanding and becoming more flexible, using words from a variety of sources to fill niches where we don't have a partticular word in English (we can also thank the Simpsons for "schadenfraude," and the Germans too, I suppose), embiggening the language every day.
    For popularising it?
    Yes, and introducing it to the English language, as there was no English word with "shadenfraude's" specific meaning.

OED appears to have 'Schadenfreude' in English language usage dating back to 1852. That The Simpsons could have increased the word's usage seems likely alright - though I've never heard this as especially connected to the show before?

Daveysil15 wrote: »

That's how its spelt yes, I meant the pronunciation. It's always pronounced with an f in the middle.

er its very commonly mispronounced with an "f" in the middle. I guess people see a "ph" rather than a single "p" in the word?

er its very commonly mispronounced with an "f" in the middle. I guess people see a "ph" rather than a single "p" in the word?

Well all the chemists and advertisments on telly pronounce it with an f. I've never once heard it been pronounced with a p. Maybe its just you?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

Deanov wrote: »

When I was younger I couldn't say Yves Saint Laurent or Estée Lauder properly and I am still slagged about it!

Oooh, listen to Gok Wan.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well all the chemists and advertisments on telly pronounce it with an f. I've never once heard it been pronounced with a p. Maybe its just you?

Absolutely not. I am correct. Like I said, its VERY commonly mispronounced. (That's what this thread is about!)

I did a search and found another thread on the same subject and an informed poster who agrees with me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67687585&postcount=528

PS I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if GSK's TV ads say "solfadeine".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tree men jous instead of tremendous

Where the fcuk are they getting the J from?

I just want to kick any fcuker who says that.

Also, can someone please tell RTE that people from Portlaoise don't go mental with the e at the end. They say port laois. They are from the fcuking place, they know how to pronounce their own hometown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

FILLUM. It drives me mad. It's film for gods sake! One syllable!

That's just an example of anaptyxis or svarabhakti. It's quite common and you should try not to let it bother you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Onbelievable. It's Un you wankbag!!

Something that annoys me far more, is the amount of people that can't spell the word "loser"

PS I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if GSK's TV ads say "solfadeine".

Believe me, they most certainly do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement