Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 181. Hendricks Vs Lawler / Pettis Vs Melendez

Options
  • 04-12-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Kinda surprised nobody has made a thread for this yet, what a massive event this is. Where do people see the WW and LW belts going on Sunday Morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

24drc5y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Buzzing for this.

Eddie Gordon randomly followed me on twitter so I hope he does the business in the Prelims. Looking forward to seeing Faber too.

Schaub over Brown for me, and I can see Pettis having trouble against Melendez, has the makings of a great scrap. Think Pettis will retain and hope he does in spectacular fashion.

Hendricks Lawler is alot of peoples fight of the year so far, I think Lawler against Matt Brown is but anyway, great fight first time around. The only question is whether Lawler can finish him. With Hendricks style he'll always score takedowns so if the fight does go the distance I think he'd take the decision. Don't think Hendricks will finish Lawler, I dunno. Its nearly too close to call.

ps3man wrote: »
    Kinda surprised nobody has made a thread for this yet, what a massive event this is. Where do people see the WW and LW belts going on Sunday Morning?

What a card in fairness, struggling to find a couple here that don't interest me

johnny is keeping it imo
    it's quite a while since I wanted someone to win a belt as bad as robbie though

hard to look past pettis, he's just better than melendez

schaub browne could be interesting esp if schaub can't get browne down
    I don't see schaub standing with browne so browne will be on his back quite a bit imo

really looking forward to trujillo v ferguson
    no doubt these two will meet in the middle and trade, i'd love to see trujillo come out with a win

todd duffee another I'm looking forward to seeing, he could be a monster :D

I'll be rooting for josh sammon also, guys been through a lot
    looked good in tuf until he got subbed by gastelum, no disgrace in that

not been impressed with sergio pettis but don't know hobar
    wonder if he's worth a little wager

anderson v jones sounds good...how can that be a bad fight?

the women should deliver as ever
    I see uriah is fighting also...wonder how that'll go :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

I like Melendez but if you love mma you have to be going for Showtime. He's just incredible.

Plus I'd love to see Lawler beat the crap out of Hendricks. He's a whiney, moaning, excuse making twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

I like Melendez but if you love mma you have to be going for Showtime. He's just incredible.

Plus I'd love to see Lawler beat the crap out of Hendricks. He's a whiney, moaning, excuse making twat.

Did you see Hendricks on Embedded? He won't let anyone touch the belt, fair enough nobody is doubting the sacrifice he made to get it but come on lighten up a little.

Big fan of Melendez, one of my favourite fights of all time was him vs Sanchez at UFC 166. Hard not to be a fan after that.

I met Eddie Gordon in the airport and ended up going for a drink with him after the weigh ins at UFC Dublin, safe to say I will be rooting for him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

lads is jones/ cormier this weekend too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

akelly02 wrote: »
    lads is jones/ cormier this weekend too?

Nope. Jan 3rd. UFC 181.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nope. Jan 3rd. UFC 181.

Feck!!

I take it Hendricks will be favorite v Lawlor?

Looking forward to seeing Pettis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Awh stealing my thunder of making threads :( haha cant wait for this event, been looking forward to it for ages! So undecided in the main event, I love Hendricks but Lawlers style. I really want to see someone get knocked out in this and for some reason i dont think itl be Lawler. So im going with heart over head and saying Lawler by KO!

Pettis v Gil.... As much as a love Gil Pettis is just a different class to him imo, especially after watching the Sanchez fight last night if that had of been 5 rounds i think Sanchez could have done it or even made a good show of himself and possibly knocking Gil out. Pettis to retain by another silky submission! At the end of the day Pettis is just keeping the belt warm for Khabib who imo will run that division pretty soon, suplexs for fun.

Im up for Schaub all day long, what an absolute hero. Id advise anyone who hasnt to listen to The JRE with him, McCall & a few more while there commentating on 179 its absolutely hilarious and made me love Schaub so much!! Obviously hes never going to be champ but he has the beating up the majority of HWs imo.

I dont know much about the next two guys but im up for Duffee because hes a scary looking mother ****er.

Ferguson/Trujilo has the possibility to be FOTN, Trujilo is a beast, theres been some fights he was scheduled to fight in that would have showed a bit more of him that didnt materialise but this will be a great test for him, being fed to Khabib in his second fight in the UFC wasnt nice and since then he has looked VERY good. Ferguson on the other hand has been absolutely class aswell since he came into the UFC and theres no shame losing to Michael Johnson and his last fight even though Castillo moaned and moaned after it he was well beaten by Ferguson. Im REALLY looking forward to this.

Faber will do the business, unbeaten outside of championship fights and i dont see that changing this time.

Really up for Josh Samman in this, the guys been through an awful lot. I dont rate Gordan highly or anyone off TUF19 for that matter, it was the weakest series by a mile imo. Samman also looked very very good on TUF cast that was alot tougher than the one Gordan had. Long layoff could effect him though but he dismantled Kevin Casey back in 2013. I reckon Samman gets the finish either a Sub or KO in the second round.

Overall its going to be a great event I hope, this will start off a great run of events now, literally looking forward to the next 4/5 events and i havnt been able to say that in a while!!

I don't think melendez has a prayer here at all
    no doubt he'll fight a good fight but I don't give him a hope in hell myself

I know that probably sounds ridiculous to some
    I'd like to see him win myself but I'd also like to see pettis being fed
    to khabib

pettis was 1/2 a few days ago, best at 4/9
    those look great odds if a man had a grand or two to spare which isnt me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You two are crazy. That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    Pettis to retain by another silky submission!

I'd expect Melandez to be the better grappler here. Pettis will want to keep this standing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Where can we watch this, is tv3 showing it on Sunday? e3? I can't navigate their disaster of a website, nothing is even showing up for ufc

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd expect Melandez to be the better grappler here. Pettis will want to keep this standing imo.

I would have said Benderson was a better grappler to and that didnt turn out to well for him, just have a feeling hes going to catch Gil with something on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This fight is as razor close as any of the possible fights between the top 155ers. Khabib, Pettis, Henderson, Cerrone, Melendez, any of these guys could beat the other on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Think Melendez is woefully overrated and will lose this fight. Nearly got finished by zombie Sanchez. Saying that I think Pettis has a wrestling weakness.

Hendricks vs Lawlor is interesting. I'll be rooting for Lawlor, like him a lot. Was a very close first fight. Hendricks may be rusty from lack of cage time and being after surgery.

I would have said Benderson was a better grappler to and that didnt turn out to well for him, just have a feeling hes going to catch Gil with something on the ground!
    True. But I think that was a bit if a freak sub at the time. He had broke him on the feet and should do the sane to Gil imo.

He got his purple belt for subbing Bendo. He'll gets brown if he subs Gil. :)

True. But I think that was a bit if a freak sub at the time. He had broke him on the feet and should do the sane to Gil imo.

He got his purple belt for subbing Bendo. He'll gets brown if he subs Gil. :)

Exactly it was a freak sub, typical showtime aye? :pac:

Pretty much. Noway in hell is Melendez getting submitted.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Pretty much. Noway in hell is Melendez getting submitted.

Would have taught there was noway in hell benderson was getting submitted it happens, would rule out Pettis with anything to be fair.

• Advertisement

arite lads,

Just got a free minute from work and totally off topic but I saw Silva pencilled in against Diaz early next year????

WTF!!!!! is he mad?? I haven't followed the rehab and recovery and battle back to fitness but why would he wanna do this?? he's always gonna be thinking of that leg. footballers have never come back from that injury and they don't have some other athlete chopping at that same spot for sport!!

What do yis think? educate me, am I missing something here?? is it EGO?? in terms of how he was dethroned?? his great "Leg"acy??? ha ha ha see what I did there??

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Great documentary on fight pass about Pettis leading up to his fight against Henderson for the UFC Title

Would have taught there was noway in hell benderson was getting submitted it happens, would rule out Pettis with anything to be fair.

Melendez constantly rolls with Jake Shields and the Diaz bro's i really can't see him ever getting submitted by Pettis tbh. This fight is going down to the wire IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

rusty cole wrote: »
    arite lads,

Just got a free minute from work and totally off topic but I saw Silva pencilled in against Diaz early next year????

WTF!!!!! is he mad?? I haven't followed the rehab and recovery and battle back to fitness but why would he wanna do this?? he's always gonna be thinking of that leg. footballers have never come back from that injury and they don't have some other athlete chopping at that same spot for sport!!

What do yis think? educate me, am I missing something here?? is it EGO?? in terms of how he was dethroned?? his great "Leg"acy??? ha ha ha see what I did there??

Why wouldn't' Silva? It's a tailor made fight for him. Diaz is much smaller, doesn't really kick or check kicks and relies on his chin to let him land flurries.

I love silva, he's one of my favourite actual mixed martial artists.
    Not a wrestler come striker, etc etc.

Im not knocking the guts and return to the ring but jasus he'd have to be thinking, ouch!!! he's loaded, just retire man!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Where can we watch this, is tv3 showing it on Sunday? e3? I can't navigate their disaster of a website, nothing is even showing up for ufc

3e are showing a repeat on Monday night, just of the main card I'd say, but still pretty nice to have it...thank you Conor!

rusty cole wrote: »
    arite lads,

Bone heal pretty well. Can be just as strong as before within a few months. A career ending injury for a footballer might involves damage to ligaments or tendons as well as bones, or else the bone heeling in an awkward shape and obstructing a joints mobility.
    Neither of these were the case with Dikca as the injury was a clean break mid shin.

As it stands, he'll as been out for 13 months. Which is actually less time away than Diaz.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Melendez constantly rolls with Jake Shields and the Diaz bro's i really can't see him ever getting submitted by Pettis tbh. This fight is going down to the wire IMO.

I know that but all im saying is anything can happen and I wouldnt rule it out atall, especially with Pettis who seems to do the impossible more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Would love to see Melendez take the belt. After that fight against Diego he has a fan for life in me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This fight is as razor close as any of the possible fights between the top 155ers. Khabib, Pettis, Henderson, Cerrone, Melendez, any of these guys could beat the other on any given day.

You could throw Alvarez into the mix aswell, Really looking forward to him against Benson Henderson.

It makes you wonder who will get the next title shot. With Pettis being out for so long I'd imagine he'll be defending again soon enough if he wins.

Maybe Khabib getting the next title shot, and the winner of Henderson v Alavarez and Cerrone and Jury face each other?

Advertisement