Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your game?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

SO if you could create a game given todays technologies and no licencing problems what would it be? Please no MW clones!!!

My idea would be a real world pokemon game on your phone. It would use your GPS location from your phone to generate pokemon you could capture from on phone while you stay within distance. You could, for example while walking in the forest get an alert on your phone that tells you there is a pidgeot nearby and you have the choice to try and capture or ignore... imagine sitting at work and getting an alert telling you there is a rare shiny in your current area or a lightning storm gives you a better chance of catching electric pokemon.

Money could be made very easily as well by selling something like a normal pokeball for like 99cent or percentage from sales of pokemon. There would be only one of certain types of Pokemon/think Mew who would stay in an a rea for a certain amount of time eg. 2 days before moving. This would probably create a roving pack of pokemon hunters though who travel from town to town though! What I love about this idea is the graphics wouldn;t even have to be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

cod4 remake :P

don't you tell me what game I am allowed to make :L

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    cod4 remake :P

don't you tell me what game I am allowed to make :L

Who am I kidding, I'd play it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've asked myself this for decades, and the answer I settled on many moons ago was that I'd make an open-world procedurally generated zombie infested survival sandbox FPS with RPG elements and crafting.
    Well it was original when I thought of it... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

I've never been involved in game design, but I always wanted a Mafia style game (remember that one?) that is seriously realistic. I know it would probably bore most people to death, but I always loved those missions where you go up and smash up a few vehicles with a baseball bat or do normal run of the mill jobs. As years have gone on, I have become extremely bored with the "run to this location and take out 47 enemies with your assault rifle and rocket launcher" type things. I'd love something gritty and realistic where killing someone has serious repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Funny this topic was brought up as a friend of mine and myself were discussing what sort of zelda game we make if we had the chance.
    I came up with this. :D

I wanted to create a zelda game after the events of link between worlds where zelda was poisoned and turn to stone and the master sword was locked into her heart by a twin sages that were trapped one in hyrule and the other in lorule as they were seperated in one of the first great hyrule wars and if they were ever close together there power would be together once more and together coul use the master sword other than the hero the sword chooses.

Link brash , arrogant ways after choosing to chase down one of the sages by himself left the people of hyrule by themselves and zelda behind turned to stone , link lost the sword confidence and was exiled as the leader of the hyrulian ary blamed link for zelda and leaving the people when they needed him most after link was ambushed by the twin sages in the main hall of the castle.

link visit his grandfather and what has happened , his grandfather upset tells link to make way to the caves as there is an old woman who can help. link goes fourth and visit the old lady who has a trial for link to prove he is the person of the tale. the old women then gives link the flute and tells he must beat 7 dungeons and gather fragments to gain the swords trust once more.

link must make way to the dessert and use the flute to find the triforce sign on the ground that has been covered by sand and dust.

link must encounter 7 bosses in each dungeon , all shadows of his dark self that he fears to face and emotions he never admits and all bosses has two encounters and fight by the emotions they have. arrogance , sorrow, betrayal, anger, lonesome , fear and brashness. each shadow he defeats of himself he overcomes his barriers and proves to be the hero once more and gains the swords trust and can remove the curse from zelda turned to stone.

after all 7 dungeons and monsters defeated link runs to hyrule castle back to zelda where one of the sages lies and waits and link fights him removes sword then lifts the curse from zelda. zelda tells him that the second sage is in lorule trying to ressurect ganondorf once more to give ganon her power , zelda tells link that before the portal between hy and lorule closed zelda and hilda make a impact and for saftery measures split there staffs each other taken one part and connecting it with the other so if anything happened to any of there kingdoms should evil rise they will help each other.

zelda gives the staff to link to go to lorule and link fights sages and ganon with the help of hilda and saves lorule.

the ending would be link and zelda go back to the cave where the old woman was , shutting herself from the world should ever she felt evil would rise again . the old woman looks to the skies and tells the story to link and zelda about a child she once had who was taken from a village that was burnt and destroyed by theifs , that child was no other than ganon.

thats what I would love to see from a zelda game :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A second world war shooter that starts in 1939, and tracks the major campaigns, not just the big ones the Americans won in. Norway, France, Greece, etc. Have a whole portion of it where you fight, but lose anyway, and then have a real satisfying uplift when you finally begin winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Corvo wrote: »
    I've never been involved in game design, but I always wanted a Mafia style game (remember that one?) that is seriously realistic. I know it would probably bore most people to death, but I always loved those missions where you go up and smash up a few vehicles with a baseball bat or do normal run of the mill jobs. As years have gone on, I have become extremely bored with the "run to this location and take out 47 enemies with your assault rifle and rocket launcher" type things. I'd love something gritty and realistic where killing someone has serious repercussions.

Ever play Gansters Organised Crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Cormac... wrote: »
    That was a great game. I was hoping Omerta (currently on a bundlesite) would compare but it doesn't look great...

I remember when Driver came out I thought 'if you mixed it with GTA would be great'. Then came GTA III came along... Currently haven't any game ideas that are any good. I'll just wait and see what the next big game is and say 'I thought of that ages ago!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

A Blade Runner style/cyberpunk GTA (though not necessarily crime related) open world game with tall skyscrapers and bottomless streets. I thought Jak II was amazing with its hover cars .

Imagine your car stalling mid air and spiraling into the underworld below.
    Think Corsucant in the Star Wars Prequels.

I'd kill for a game like the one depicted in this opening.

Adamantium wrote: »
    A Blade Runner style/cyberpunk GTA (though not necessarily crime related) open world game with tall skyscrapers and bottomless streets. I thought Jak II was amazing with its hover cars

What about the new Syndicate style game?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm a console head (I know, I know) so only one or twice played that years ago and enjoyed it. Must try get it again at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'm sure I told this story on here somewhere before, but back when I was 9/10 or so I was a massive fan of EA's 'Strike' series on the MegaDrive... Desert, Jungle and Urban. Finished all 3 games numerous times. I decided that just flying stuff wasn't enough, so I wrote to EA. I had sent them about 15-20 maps I'd drawn on old fax paper and wrote a letter stating that they should bring out a game called "Land, Sea and Air Strike" (I was a child, so names were hard :p). In this letter, I told them how the game should work, that you can drive vehicles on land on the water and obviously, like the other Strike games, fly...

I got a thank you letter some 4/5 weeks afterwards saying that they thought it was a great idea and they will look into it.

Some many years later, a game released on PS1 that had all my ideas in it... it was called Nuclear Strike (I'm sure some of you have probably played it). So for years since, I have been saying that Nuclear Strike is because of me :p

So yeah, I'd bring back the Strike series :p

Also, EA are in fact thieves... and stole ideas from a 9 year old

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I'm sure I told this story on here somewhere before, but back when I was 9/10 or so I was a massive fan of EA's 'Strike' series on the MegaDrive... Desert, Jungle and Urban. Finished all 3 games numerous times. I decided that just flying stuff wasn't enough, so I wrote to EA. I had sent them about 15-20 maps I'd drawn on old fax paper and wrote a letter stating that they should bring out a game called "Land, Sea and Air Strike" (I was a child, so names were hard :p). In this letter, I told them how the game should work, that you can drive vehicles on land on the water and obviously, like the other Strike games, fly...

I got a thank you letter some 4/5 weeks afterwards saying that they thought it was a great idea and they will look into it.

Some many years later, a game released on PS1 that had all my ideas in it... it was called Nuclear Strike (I'm sure some of you have probably played it). So for years since, I have been saying that Nuclear Strike is because of me :p

So yeah, I'd bring back the Strike series :p

Also, EA are in fact thieves... and stole ideas from a 9 year old

*bows*

I feel like someone somewhere on this forum said they were building a type of next gen "strike" game using some Valve engine

I feel like someone somewhere on this forum said they were building a type of next gen "strike" game using some Valve engine
    I remember reading that too. Great series. As for robbing bastards? ThEAves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

a side scrolling beat-em-up, like streets of rage, except the playable characters are out of mortal kombat, and have the full arsenal of moves and fatalities

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Have always wanted a non strategy space flight sim type game. The big thing is to be able to fly around in a believable 3d world, then up and out of the atmosphere, travel around the solar system or between the stars and land on other fully realized 3d worlds. Im not particularly bothered about what the game is about or mission structure at this point as long as the above is accomplished!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Not focusing on the game [of the anime] directly, but something like the headgear used in Sword Art Online would be awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Remake X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-WING Vs Tie-Fighter and X-WING Alliance using the Star Citizen Engine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Remake X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-WING Vs Tie-Fighter and X-WING Alliance using the Star Citizen Engine :D
    Freeeeeeeeeeespaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

I would like to step in with my idea here, a survival horror game based on north brother island. This is an island just bang in the centre of New York city, used to be a mental asylum and hospital. I have everything ready in my head story how the game would play out everything, just not the skills to make the game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

aaronh007 wrote: »
    that they should bring out a game called "Land, Sea and Air Strike" (I was a child, so names were hard :p). In this letter, I told them how the game should work, that you can drive vehicles on land on the water and obviously, like the other Strike games, fly...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a hovercraft and motorbike in Jungle Strike.

There's also a tank in Urban Strike and you can even get out of your vehicle completely and run around in many levels.

Someone is telling porkies about finishing those games multiple times :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Speaking of Horror games .. Just Remake Clive Barkers "Undying" using the unreal 4 engine...One of the finest Spookies ever made.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a hovercraft and motorbike in Jungle Strike.

There's also a tank in Urban Strike and you can even get out of your vehicle completely and run around in many levels.

Elvis in the slot machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I came here to post about an MMOG set in WH40K which had the same pace as Realm of the Mad God and perma-death.

But yeah I really just want FreeSpace 3 or another X-Wing/TIE fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Open world game set in the Judge Dredd universe

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

I'd probably make a sci-fi themed top down shooter which combines tower defense and resource management, with a hefty character development system. The player would be a hard-boiled Irish mercenary, tasked with defending a martian colony from waves of zombie attacks. Maybe throw in a decent story and local co-op too...

Hmmm... wait a minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

D wrote: »
    I came here to post about an MMOG set in WH40K which had.... perma-death.

That sounds class, what would be brilliant would be if you start making wrong choices you become more affected by chaos... get more powers but start looking different.

They could even set it a bit forward in the timeline where everything is converging on the Emperor who is going to transcend if Humanity can hold on long enough and make it actually matter if the players are actually holding off the advance of other races.

The most annoying thing about my position is I know how to program and could learn how to do games but I'm rubbish at artwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

o1s1n wrote: »

My brain must've blocked those memories to suit my ego as a child about me bragging that I helped design a game :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭I Armour I

GTA + Sims + Google earth/maps/street view + Assassins creed.... 2?

Advertisement