Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lack of trophies/achievements turn off gamers from games ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hey, I read 50 posts in this thread? Where's my achievement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hey, I read 50 posts in this thread? Where's my achievement?

There's a glitch and you actually only read 49.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

I wouldn't be obsessed about getting them but when I've finished a game I'll have a look at the achievement list and see is there any easy ones I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I wouldn't be obsessed about getting them but when I've finished a game I'll have a look at the achievement list and see is there any easy ones I could do.

Exactly the point, to make games have a longer life that it otherwise would have. At least it isn't as bad as the ranking up to get a different badge (Ooooh shiny) in the likes of cod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I still like achievements/trophies. They're a fun way to bring all of your accomplishments on a single console together and they can add hugely to a game's lifespan. But stuff like the Gears series "Seriously" achievements are just a bit stupid, grinding for hours defeats the purpose.

I'll always glance at the list and go for the ones that seem feasible on my first playthrough. If they add significantly to the game, I'll play some more and go for the rest.

The Deus Ex Human Revolution list is really good, it inspires players to play through in a very different way. Makes me want to play through the game again! I also love Pacifist runs through games, ever since MGS2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

In general its always nice to get a trophy on the PS3. I do tend to replay games quite regularily but more to replay than go "trophy hunting"

The one game that I did become obsessed with regarding trophies is Madden. Its the one and only game I play as a trophy exercise.

I agree with whoever said its annoying when you finish a game multiple times but only showing a ceratin % complete. I have played through all the RE4 scenarios and played the main story 3 times and am still only 71%. Grrrrrrr!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I was just thinking earlier on while doing a bit of G hunting myself, will we be seeing more of the same on the next gen? It seems the next generation is heading our way in the next year or two. Will we see this achievement/trophy situation spilling over into the newer consoles, or will it just be one of those things were in years to come people will say "Back in my day, games had achievements"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At the rate things are going, you'll need to do things like "Interacted with 50 friends while playing the game" or "Posted screen shot of last kill to facebook".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I have no interest in trophies/achievements whatsoever.

I enjoy a game because of its content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CastorTroy wrote: »
    At the rate things are going, you'll need to do things like "Interacted with 50 friends while playing the game" or "Posted screen shot of last kill to facebook".

There already is. In Portal 2 there is one for hugging 5 people on your friends list. In Rainbow Six Vegas 2 there is one for scanning in your face with the Xbox camera. Or Forza 4, uploading a video of a race to the Forza store front.

In PGR4 you could buy an an achievement in the in game store with kudos that you earn in game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I do enjoy getting some trophies that have catchy names.

For instance i spent a considerable about of time getting almost all of the Ghostbusters video game trophies because most of them were quotes from the movie :D

I remember another trophy i got in Borderlands was named "There are some who call me...Tim"

I shouldn't have to tell you where its from.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

http://twitter.com/XboxLIVErewards/status/215097955890380800
    We've hit 50,000 followers, which means it's time for an announcement! Coming Fall: a new way to earn Rewards based on your Achievements!

/Crosses fingers and hopes its retro active and there's quite the windfall for me ........ unlikely.

Most likely it will get tied to earn x achievement within x time of launch and get MS 20 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I like trophies. They give me different things to do in a game.

Would I base my decision to buy a game on it's having/not having trophies? No.

The only game I have a platinum on is Assassins Creed 2. Freaking loved that game. Spent ages after I finished it just running about the rooftops so figured I may as well collect all the feathers.

What I do find hilarious though is how pretentious people who don't like trophies act towards people who do. So someone else wants to just play games that they can log their progress and notable achievements in. So what? If you don't like them you can just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

For instance i spent a considerable about of time getting almost all of the Ghostbusters video game trophies because most of them were quotes from the movie :D

I remember another trophy i got in Borderlands was named "There are some who call me...Tim"

I shouldn't have to tell you where its from.:pac:

I liked the "My brother is an Italian Plumber" trophy in borderlands. You get an enemies health really low and then jump on his head to get the trophy.

sarumite wrote: »
    I liked the "My brother is an Italian Plumber" trophy in borderlands. You get an enemies health really low and then jump on his head to get the trophy.

I was trying to figure that out for days, its a good one though

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »

The only game I have a platinum on is Assassins Creed 2. Freaking loved that game. Spent ages after I finished it just running about the rooftops so figured I may as well collect all the feathers.

i found the feather collecting quite satisfying actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

War for Cybertron is like that as well. Loads of the trophies are named after lines from the 1986 animated Transformers movie. I'm far more inclined to go after them than random trophies in another game.

I'm going for my first platinum at the moment. In Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? :D

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm going for my first platinum at the moment. In Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? :D

All the best in your endeavour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Do I get to keep the cash if I get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

i found the feather collecting quite satisfying actually

Collectables are something that alway did my head in. Even more so in sandbox games, because it can be so hard to keep track of where you've already searched, and where you haven't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement