Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I might ditch the iPhone for Android...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Just look at rooting as logging in as administor, thats not scary!

I've done a number of stupid things with my desire and have always managed to recover it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Zascar, if looking for rooting guides, bear in the mind that your handset is branded so you will probably need a gold card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

I had a branded Phone and didn't need a goldcard, just rooted it.

Thing is a lot of the advice that is out there is for older versions, newer versions of Hboot 0.83 which i presume he probably has seems to need a different solution.

Also with the 0.83 version ive read several people couldnt get into recovery, from what i read its because of the new slcd screens need a different kernel or something to that affect, if you read through my posts from the last couple of days when Chet was helping me youll see that i linked to most of this info, restart your phone by holding the back button on the phone and press the power button, if it shows you having hboot 0.83 then its probably worth reading my posts and Chets replies.

I found it quite confusing finding the correct information and most of the guides unfortunately assume some previous knowledge in rooting so it can be difficult if you havent rooted before.

I couldnt get into recovery but done a factory reset and it seemed to fix the problem and i now have 2.2, it was unconventional but it worked. Anyway if your upgrading specifically for voice actions i wouldnt bother, its not very accurate, it picks up some things but realistically its a long way off being something you would use other than to show it off to friends. I know there is a couple of applications that use voice recognition and from everything i hear the better ones are a big resource hog and far from perfect so from the little i read i dont think it will be anything more than something to show off for another couple of years until the technology improves.

So if you follow the guide i linked to in my earlier posts you should find it very easy to root the phone but installing a new Rom got very complicated due to not being able to get into recovery. If you really want to see what Voice Actions is like download Vlingo Voice instead, i found that worked more accurately than voice actions and its also free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ugh, this is seeming possibly more complicated than its worth. I agree though I checked a few tutorials and they really expect you to know how to do loads of things. At least with the iphone on icarified.com they have picture by picture, step by step accounts of how to jairbreak.

I might give the one click root program thing a try and see what happens from there.

Yeah that one click rooting was simple, if i remember correctly when it rebooted it went blank but once i took out the battery and re powered it up it was rooted and i could see the super user apps, once you do that you can install market enabler which allows you to spoof your location and give you access to the paid apps.

To install market enable just google it, then download the apk file to the root of the phone, you'll need an SD adapator so you can plug it into your card reader on your PC and put the file on it as i don't think you can do it through USB, then install App Installer from the market which allows you to install apps from the sd card. Then go into marker enabler, click and hold your finger on one of the networks like T Mobile (US) for example (took me ages to figure out you had to click and hold for the option to come up) and then when you go into the market youll see paid apps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hmm now I've just seen this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055993193 for the new desires - rooting gives all sorts of problems?

Is there anywhere I can bring this and get someone to do it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

its not problems...their just security measures of the phone and theres way around it :)

If you see the last post then you'll see it was since resolved, this is basically what i already talked about slcd and the kernel not being compatible but once you follow that link on the bottom of that thread you should be ok unfortunately it took me the best part of the day to figure out that i needed to follow those specific instructions.

That link at the bottom of that thread is the one i done with hboot 0.83 and it worked fine but like i said it died and i had to remove the batter but then it worked fine. I would have gladly just paid someone to do this myself but i dont believe there is anywhere unless you know someone that is familiar with the process.

The rooting part is pretty simple, flashing the ROM's is much more difficult because the guides out there like i said aren't geared towards new users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Zascar wrote: »
    Hmm now I've just seen this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055993193 for the new desires - rooting gives all sorts of problems?

Is there anywhere I can bring this and get someone to do it for me?

It's really not too bad, when mine was returned to me it was loaded with the latest software, the only difference is I have the AMOLED screen.

Assuming your phone is unbranded;

Downgrade to 0.83 -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768256

Root -

www.unrevoked.com

(this was the tricky part for me, I had to uninstall HTC Sync to allow it to work).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

try androidcentral.com for detailed step by step rooting guides

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Lads what is a Goldcard?

That's the extra step I mentioned on the other thread, the goldcard is used to de-brand the phone.

Really loving my new phone every day - but a few questions if I may:

Can anyone tell me how to add a Website shortcut to the desktop just like you can on an iPhone? I want Google Tasks as a shortcut on my main page. I have the gtasks app but its not as good as the actual Google tasks web page.

Also, one of the few things that annoys me is how you have to push the top power button to take the phone out of standby. Is this changeable to make the home button do the same? I find it annoying being used to an iphone you can do the push button and swipe with one hand, but you almost need two to do it on Android.

Another annoyance is when you have a missed call, it does not tell you on the "Call History" icon which I have on my homescreen. Same with gmail icon. Can it do this?

How do you take a screenshot? It was power + button on iphone

Thanks!

In the same way as adding a widget just add a shortcut, not sure about call notifications... screen grabs and trackball to wake require root access unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Maybe I'm missing something, but I felt that android is nowhere near as smooth, fast or polished as iOS. Granted, I've only tried a HTC Legend, and I can only compare it to iPhone 4. Are there other android devices out there that are better suited for a comparison like this?

Also, felt the app store was severely lacking. Most of the stuff I could see was chinese or consisted of 'hot girl wallpapers'. There's a lot of that on the iphone appstore too but there is a better selection of quality apps (probably because android is still developing, and most apps are free).

I'm still considering android in the future, and this is not trolling, but I expected more from all the hype I've been hearing.

Has anyone dumped their iphone 4 for an android device? How does the samsung galaxy s compare guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Had a Legend and an iPhone and I upgraded the Legend to the Galaxy last week. Galaxy is much nicer and responsive. Getting rid of the iPhone in fact. Still have my iPad for iOS needs but the Galaxy is equal to the iPhone for browsing, something the Legend wasn't great for.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

funkyflea wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I felt that android is nowhere near as smooth, fast or polished as iOS. Granted, I've only tried a HTC Legend, and I can only compare it to iPhone 4. Are there other android devices out there that are better suited for a comparison like this?

Also, felt the app store was severely lacking. Most of the stuff I could see was chinese or consisted of 'hot girl wallpapers'. There's a lot of that on the iphone appstore too but there is a better selection of quality apps (probably because android is still developing, and most apps are free).

I'm still considering android in the future, and this is not trolling, but I expected more from all the hype I've been hearing.

Has anyone dumped their iphone 4 for an android device? How does the samsung galaxy s compare guys?

With a 1Ghz processer Android really shines. FroYo makes it even better. In some areas (like Apps) the iPhone is better but in others the Desire (and Samsung Galaxy) are better (Widgets etc). See my long comparison here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67820213&postcount=26

I doubt many would dump an iPhone 4 for an Android (except maybe in America), but upgading from a 3GS to Android would be a good option for many people.

Android is definitely for the future but the iPhone is not going away (e.g. I am sure we will see widgets there eventually, once they get Steve's blessing) and even Microsoft have a chance with their Windows Phone 7 (I really like their new look, it is very innovative). Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung Bada etc. not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

jeromeof wrote: »
    With a 1Ghz processer Android really shines. FroYo makes it even better. In some areas (like Apps) the iPhone is better but in others the Desire (and Samsung Galaxy) are better (Widgets etc). See my long comparison here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67820213&postcount=26

I doubt many would dump an iPhone 4 for an Android (except maybe in America), but upgading from a 3GS to Android would be a good option for many people.

Android is definitely for the future but the iPhone is not going away (e.g. I am sure we will see widgets there eventually, once they get Steve's blessing) and even Microsoft have a chance with their Windows Phone 7 (I really like their new look, it is very innovative). Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung Bada etc. not so much.

Thanks for that. When you say it really shines, do you mean performance wise? I've heard a lot of people say very vague things about android like "android uses a phone's potential".

My girlfriend has just asked me "is appexplorer or appmanager where I go and buy apps?" She's pretty disappointed with the lack of decent games too. I had to help her installing the Sims 3 because it needed some kind of Java runtime package, it felt like I was using my N900 again.

I definitely agree that android is going to be big in the future, but I do think that it's a little bit over hyped right now. For me, content is king and I don't mind paying a small fee to encourage quality development as far as apps go.

Does the Samsung Galaxy S run smoother than the HTC Legend? The guy in the shop told my OH not to go for the Wildfire or Hero because the Legend was faster. If thats the case, I would not like to have seen those other devices, the legend can be a bit clunky at times.

Anyway - iOS and Android will be the leading platforms, Symbian and Bada will not take off - Maemo was miles better than Symbian quite frankly.

I came from a 3G but I have used the iPhone 4 and I still way prefer Android. There are so so many tiny little things that are just easier, more intuitive & logical. The Widgets are brilliant, I wonder will apple go the same way? I just find that with iOS - everything has to be done the One way - the Apple way - simple as. (I also have a macbook and find this too which infuriates me - I still think PC's kick ass in most areas) The fact that Android is Open Source just makes things better - everything is open and free and changeable. Android is also way more integrated (like the way your contacts sync with facebook and pull in photos and extra updated contact details - genuis). Android has a very very bright future ahead of it - if you look at what is happening in the Chrome Marketplace, it makes it very interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

funkyflea wrote: »
    Thanks for that. When you say it really shines, do you mean performance wise? I've heard a lot of people say very vague things about android like "android uses a phone's potential".

Yes, both the Desire and the Samsung Galaxy are excellent phones with 1Ghz processor, they provide pretty excellent performance (with the odd glitch). With a little bit of techie TLC (e.g. Advanced Task Manager) they perform equally as well as the iPhone4. But IPhone is definitely "easier" to use. Apple have a knack of providing simple UI's, which hide but expose the underlying power of their handsets. But often Apple hides functionality until it figures out how to expose it in a simple/intuitive way. E.g. Cut/Paste, Multitasking etc. This can be frustrating if you know that the capability is there (as is the case with Widgets now). So, when people talk about the phones potential, it is usually that this capability is exposed in Android, often in appropriate ways but often in "clunky" PC like ways, which don't really suit a mobile phone.

Therefore, techies will always prefer how Android at least exposes this capability, but often this capability causes Android to be more difficult/scary to use for less techie literate people.

A good example of this is folders, Android had folders before the iPhone, with Android you create a folder selecting its type (1) it appears as an icon called "folder" on your desktop, you then open the folder (2), then to rename the folder to the name you want by clicking on the title (no obvious clue this is how you do it) (3). To add items , then you add icons/shortcuts to the folder one (4) by one (5), by going back to your list of applications installed. Reasonable "PC-like" way of creating folders, but I guess not many folders are created under Android.

With the iPhone4, Apple obvious thought "why would you create a folder?", Answer: "to group similar applications", therefore with IOS4 you drag one application ontop of another and a folder is created with the common category name (e.g. News, Shopping etc) and with both applications in it (1). So instead of 5 steps (for a folder with 2 applications), it all happens in 1 step.

But Android users will point out correctly that you can have many types of folders with things like "bluetooths received" etc. showing a bit more power.
    So you sacrifice some "power" usually around things you probably didn't really need for a really nice user interface. I use both phones and the only thing I would really say the iPhone4 misses is Widgets, I do except them to appear in 3.2 but not on the desktop (but in the "dashboard" similar to the way they work on OSX, which would appear if you double click the home button on any of the home screens above the icons showing the recent applications).

• Advertisement
Advertisement