Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

was it on already?

Yeah was on at 9, just basically questions about Conor growing up and how he felt during each fight so far. When asked about next fight, he said he is in talks with UFC at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Great moment there between Conor and mendes , pity they cut them off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Just caught the last 30 seconds. Did he comments on the specifics of his prior UFC fights? If so, what did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Rushden wrote: »
    Great moment there between Conor and mendes , pity they cut them off

It was pretty funny alright. Conor is way too quick witted for these guys. Makes them sound like chumps.

It is also very funny that they are using conor to promote the card he isn't even on! Has this ever really happened before. Pretty amazing the impact he has made

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

What a line. He's so sharp. Even if you don't like him, he deserves props for the sheer quality of sh1te he can talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

To be honest I don't really like the way he slags everyone. It's getting a bit old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Give that man a belt. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

That was very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

No different to what Ali did (although I cant remember seeing any clip of Ali talking about putting his balls on someones head) . He is the most entertaining character in sport at the moment , he can back it up when it comes to it so I say good on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Thought McGregor was excellent on the show last night in general.

A few things he said still make me cringe slightly but he destroyed Mendes, a petty slag no doubt but it just completely shut him down. I know the nature of the setup with McGregor in studio and Chad on video link favours the guy in studio but a big win no doubt.

The fact that Mendes is so worked up about Conor while preparing for a title fight is crazy, i'd say McGregor went backstage laughing his head off thinking 'job done'.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

http://bit.ly/1CVljU3 Chad getting owned in the verbals

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Joe Lauzon out of 180.
    Cono0r said he wanted the fight. He's realistically the only person who could save this fight now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Mellor wrote: »
    Joe Lauzon out of 180.
    Cono0r said he wanted the fight. He's realistically the only person who could save this fight now.

3 weeks to prepare properly??

Bit too much to ask in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Conor is ready. With so many crucial featherweight fights coming up, you can guarantee he has stayed fighting fit incase Mendes, Aldo, Cub, Frankie, Lamas or Bermudez got injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

What about those ligaments in his hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well he tore those 4 weeks before the Poirier fight but I'm not sure actually. Could still be an issue. Completely forgot about that!

yipeeeee wrote: »
    3 weeks to prepare properly??

Bit too much to ask in my opinion.
    Define prepare? Making the weight wouldn't be an issue. It's not like he'd have to come up with a drastically different game plan.
    I imagine he considered the possibility of Aldo or Chad being injured and stayed in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It's too high risk/low reward. Sanchez has been much preparing longer for the fight and looks impossible to KO so far, all it takes is one of those windmills to connect. If he won the reaction would be "It's a nice win but Sanchez is way over the hill", if he lost it'd be disastrous. I absolutely want Conor to keep active, but it's a no from me...

It'd probably make for a quality fight though.

With Sanchez being so easy to hit, I could see Conor connecting with one of those headkicks he's been throwing. Sanchez may have been difficult to ko in the past, but if you get hit right it's game over, no matter who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Nobodies impossible to KO, that's for sure. But Sanchez is about as difficult as they come. Did you see the BJ Penn beating? Melendez where he took a 3 round beating and almost KO'd Gil in the end? Even Pearson and the dodgy decision? He was 'hit right' in all of them, the guy seems to have a head made of rock. I want to see him fight but I'd prefer he wait a little longer and stick to FW. That's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

If it happens I could see Conor taking it by doctor stoppage, diego has a lot of old scar tissue on his face and i think conor would easily open that up, not a great way to win but can see it happening. Shame lauzon is out, that would have been a war.

One problem I see for this is that if Conor's being keeping the weight down for UFC 179 in case of a Mendez or Aldo injury, then he would be at a disadvantage fighting LW as he'd probably be walking around bang on the LW limit at the moment.

I doubt that would stop him taking the fight, but it would seriously affect his strength and wrestling if it came to it in a potential match-up with Sanchez.

Simply Red wrote: »
    If it happens I could see Conor taking it by doctor stoppage.
    That's an awfully specific prediction.

The cut Melendez open above his eye didn't cause a stoppage at the time as he wasn't affecting his vision.
    Unless he landed a spinning kick to the forehead and opened the BJ cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is it every fight in the UFC now that Conor has come out with a crazy kick in the first 10 seconds? Hoping someone doesn't cop onto this and spark him

scudzilla wrote: »
    Is it every fight in the UFC now that Conor has come out with a crazy kick in the first 10 seconds? Hoping someone doesn't cop onto this and spark him

More like the first 2 seconds. He's started off the last two fights with this type of tactic anyway.

It was a spinning head hick against Brandao, and a hook kick against Poirier.

I'd be worried of a Aldo vs Cub type scenario the longer he keeps it up.

scudzilla wrote: »
    I think he has. But I do to see it as a risk. It's a long range strike, the other guy is too far away to counter strike but still in danger of being clipped. Obviously somebody could evade and close the distance, but he prevents that by landing right back in a fighting stance, often continuing to strike.
    Tbh I think that the spin kicks are as much to bait the other guy as they are attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah its not as if he is throwing the same kick each time or anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Saw him on beyond the octagon.
    He seemed like a decent guy until Chad Mendes came on and he was spouting crap like "I'll kick the midget head off ya"

Real unclassy scumbag behaviour imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Also who the hell is that langer presenting beyond the octagon. Your man with the long hair. Looks like a bloody fine art critic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement