Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Titor

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I don't recall many of John Titor's posts on the internet being "one liners"

So are you back in florida again, or have you picked somewhere else to live. Our tiny little island would be less secure for you if the whole world is going to be at each others throats by the year 2005.

Not only am i skeptical that you are the "real" john titor, but I am skeptical that the real john titor was a time traveller. I believe that he was a highly educated person whose skills at telling the future are no more honed than your average fortune "cross my palm with silver " teller

I need convincing, although I doubt very much that your going to do this. I am expecting the same line the church give " Oh its your choice I can't force you to believe " or "I don't really care if you believe."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

..where did you park the freakin car man?

anyways...I expect things will start happening late January running into February (presidential inauguration and Iraq elections) opinions John? Hello John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

in response to this thread
    kernel wrote:
    I have to admit to leaning towards the side of disbelief on this story, but it has more credibility than the SERPO or Titor conspiracies and is an unsolved mystery nonetheless
    I was only thinking about the John Titor story recently. Reading these articles I was reminded of Titor's description of "a Waco type event every month that steadily gets worse". (Possibly based on the religious connotations.)

Although I wouldn't quite class them as armed conflicts between the US govt and it's citizens, it's quite clear there has been general unrest and antagonism directed specifically toward the "christian right" in opposition to Bush. The thing is though, it all seems very.. orchestrated, as if the intent were only to incite a reaction

"The ATF has said witnesses have reported seeing a dark-colored SUV near some of the fires. But it is not clear if the vehicle is linked to the blazes."

from here
    "Unlike a 1996 outbreak of fires at black churches in Alabama and elsewhere, there was no common thread of race in this case. Four of the churches have white congregations and one is black. All were Baptist, the dominant faith in the area.
    Cavanaugh said fires in churches can raise difficulties in finding a motive. "Anything you light in a church is going to be a symbol," he said."

[found thread]
    [link fixed]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Funny that the ATF should be investigating something like this, it's really more of a municipal/state issue, with maybe some federal help on forensics and technical assistance. The ATF involvement would suggest to me that they have an idea of who's behind the arson, and they're already interested in them in relation to other issues.

In terms of John Titor's predictions, I can't see the relevance. According to JT, it would be the religious right, and the libertarians, who would stand up to the government, but in this case they both seem to be on the same side. Unless, you're suggesting that the government is behind the arson attacks to try and provoke a response ?

stevenmu wrote:
    Unless, you're suggesting that the government is behind the arson attacks to try and provoke a response ?
    I think I got swayed by the black SUV..I have visions of a men in black conspiracy. ;)
    From what I've been reading church fires down that way aren't all to rare, in fact there have been no less than 59 fires over the past five years: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11217468/
    In the past five years, Alabama has had 59 church fires, 19 of those ruled arsons, Ingram said.

Alabama is no stranger to seemingly random attacks on churches. An Indiana man who called himself a missionary of Lucifer pleaded guilty to setting fires at 26 churches in eight states, including Alabama, over a five-year period that ended in 1999.

Jay Scott Ballinger pleaded guilty in April 2001 to setting church fires in Alabama, California, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Tennessee from December 1998 through January 1999, according to the Justice Department. He was sentenced to life in prison.
    apparantly they seem to have difficulty finding a motive for the most recent spate, or at least it's not a cut and dry case. It all does seem very professional and orchestrated though.

edit:wouldn't it be christian right vs liberals? I know a lot of Americans who find it easier to blame the christian right for all of america's problems rather than hold Bush & co directly responsible.

funny how it all happened to coincide with the cartoon protests over on this side of the atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

He predicted a civil war in the US starting in late 2004/early 2005. It is now 2006. There has been no civil war in the US.

Fairly obvious hoax from the start tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This may be relevant, if not very interesting. It's an email I got from an email discussion list.
    It might be useful to look back at some recent history.

Back in the mid-90s there were a number of media reports about an "epidemic
    of black church burnings". I remember pictures of black congregants crying
    over the smoking ruins of their churches, with the implication that this was
    a return to days when the KKK bombed black churches.

The Justice Department created a task force to investigate, and the first
    conclusion they came to, obvious from the evidence, was that there was no
    "epidemic of black church burnings", there was merely an epidemic of church
    burnings. Black churches were no more or less likely to be victims of arson
    than white churches. [See
    http://hatemonitor.csusb.edu/atf/church1998/chart_a.gif] (It's unfortunate
    that we still have "black" and "white" churches, but I digress.)

It seems there were people running around burning churches, and the most
    common motive was bigotry against Christians, not racial bigotry. One guy
    in particular, convicted of a couple dozen church arsons and suspected of
    many more (if my memory is correct), had a deep hatred for Christians.

Of course the media never reported this to the extent they did when they
    thought it was a racial story. Widespread racial bigotry conforms to their
    "folk marxist" worldview in which black people are an oppressed group.
    Christians are an oppressor group in their worldview, and many journalists
    have their own biases against that group, so it's uncomfortable for them to
    report a story like that.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/church_arson/arson98.html

"Of the 308 persons arrested, 254 are white, 46 are African American, and
    eight are Hispanic. One hundred and nineteen people arrested were juveniles.
    Of the 106 suspects arrested for arsons at African American churches, 68 are
    white, 37 are African American and one is Hispanic. Of the 197 suspects
    arrested for arsons at non-African American houses of worship, 181 are
    white, nine are African American, and seven are Hispanic. Five of the white
    suspects were arrested for arsons at both African American and non-African
    American churches. [See Appendix 1, Charts P-T.] As of September 8, 1998,
    there were 427 investigations in which arrests had not yet been made."

"A. Motives

"The arsons at African American churches raised significant fears about an
    increase in racially motivated crimes. The NCATF has recognized that, to the
    greatest extent possible, it is important to determine the motives
    underlying the attacks on houses of worship. However, it can be difficult to
    establish motives conclusively.

"Among the racially motivated church arsons so far solved through
    convictions, two church arsons have been directly linked to Ku Klux Klan
    members. Evidence concerning a separate incident of two church arsons
    included information that some of the arsonists had attended a Ku Klux Klan
    rally two days before the arson. The remaining racially motivated church
    arsons for which there have been convictions do not appear to have direct
    connections to readily identified hate groups, but rather are the acts of
    small groups of individuals or of arsonists acting alone.

"There have been convictions for racially or religiously motivated attacks
    on houses of worship in Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi,
    Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

"As reflected by the list of convictions attached as Appendix 2, the arsons
    -- at both African American and other houses of worship -- were motivated by
    multiple factors, including racism and religious hatred. Arsonists have
    burned churches for other reasons, including opportunistic and random
    vandalism, pyromania, mental health disturbances, feuding with ministers,
    retribution against religious authorities, parking or neighborhood disputes,
    covering up of burglaries, and financial profit. In some cases, the
    arsonists claimed they believed the church to be an abandoned building."

http://hatemonitor.csusb.edu/atf/church1998/chart_p.gif

Hope this clears up who the "usual idiot crowd" is.

-<name removed>

PS Looking through the list of convictions that came from the task force's
    focus on this issue back then, it strikes me that many of those people would
    be getting out of prison right about now. So maybe it's the same idiot
    crowd.

There's nothing there that looks particularly ominous to me anyway.

(altough in a nice touch of synchronicity, the thread is called 'Is It Censorship' :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

instability in the world isnt hard to predict. titor was entertaining but if his predictions are now way off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SkepticOne wrote:
    He predicted a civil war in the US starting in late 2004/early 2005. It is now 2006. There has been no civil war in the US.

Fairly obvious hoax from the start tbh.
    Were there any calander corrections mentioned in JT accounts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Were there any calander corrections mentioned in JT accounts ?

Titor said his own "world line" differed from ours.. in other words his claims are unfalsifiable as anything that does/does not happen could be attributed to the fact he's from a different timeline to the rest of us.

The Wikipedia article mentions the number of parallels between Titor's post-apocalyptic and Pat Frank's Alas Babylon including:

- Nuclear war with Russia.
    - A female President.
    - Devaluation of the dollar and the rise of private currencies and bartering.
    - Formation of local militias to keep law and order.

etc. etc.

A great story all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

I'd love to believe travelling back in time was possible, but nothing about anything John Titor has said has changed my mind that it has been done, or can be done.
    As someone else said, it's an obvious hoax and it just falls apart when you scratch any part of the surface, no matter how much you want it to be true.

It would have been better if he managed to get a few things spot on coincidently to string it along for a while, but he's just been consistently wrong on any specifics.

Would make a great film though - not sure if that one 'safety not guaranteed' was based on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

I'd love to believe travelling back in time was possible, but nothing about anything John Titor has said has changed my mind that it has been done, or can be done.
    As someone else said, it's an obvious hoax and it just falls apart when you scratch any part of the surface, no matter how much you want it to be true.

It would have been better if he managed to get a few things spot on coincidently to string it along for a while, but he's just been consistently wrong on any specifics.

Would make a great film though - not sure if that one 'safety not guaranteed' was based on this.

Yes indeed, or perhaps a musical (think one was written!)

Unfortunately his claims are unfalsifiable in that whenever you point out correctly to his detractors that none of his predictions have come true, they point out that we're on a different world line because Titor changed events... you'd think it would be quite easy to substantiate your claims in these circumstances!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 foxpianotuning

Haven't read about john titor in years. Gas. Was a really interesting hoax. Im pretty sure the guy who did it was found out a few years back. Could be wrong but that was the last thing i heard

Advertisement