Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you a fag?......leads to assault

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Never engage unless there is no way out, just let the legs do the walking and firstly cross the road, the further you are away from the parasite the better. Just never forget to do this if they follow you...

Act weak if they catch up with you and they will question you or talk sh!te for a few seconds and get up close... Give the main one closest to you the biggest kick in the balls they will ever encounter and then run, as the rest of the little sparrows will be afraid to follow you while their boss is lying on the ground grunting and crying like a little girl and looks weak, then make the exit, pull over a cab or hop on the nearest bus, mission accomplished. Doesn't always work though but worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was out for the night in Toronto a few years ago, and a guy visiting from the UK turned around and asked a group of us.. 'sorry, could I bum a fag',

of course that means only one thing in North America, so there was much hilarious hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Yester wrote: »
    I get asked for a fag sometimes but I smoke rollies so it's really awkward. I'm not willing to hand over my pouch of tobbaco to a stranger so I end up rolling one for them. This leads us to being in each others company for about 30 seconds or so. Then it comes to the moment when you have to use your tongue to seal the rolly and you are both trying not to make eye contact. Very awkward all round.

I felt awkward even reading that.

Eyre Square is a dump at night. Avoid at all costs. That guy should have known better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Yeah I have heard of the "Sorry, do you have a fag?" thing being code.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Scummers gonna scum and Galway is brutal for unprovoked attacks.
    Genuinely surprised to read that about Galway.
    Never been mugged after being asked for a smoke but then again I smoke John Player Blue
    Hah, you're a sitting target! To ensure you won't be asked for a fag by a little **** looking for aggro, smoke Silk Cut or Marlboro Lights. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

valoren wrote: »
    About 6 years ago. North Main St in Cork.

I'll always remember his answer to how old he was.

"17th May 1991" - In that high pitched, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth way.

A hard man no more, just a chicken **** cowards with fck all better to do with themselves .

* His 'pals' obviously left him to it with the Guards.

He's a Taurus and a c**t, that must have been some surprise!

• Advertisement

what in God's name is wrong with people?

Ah people are not THAT bad. Our media has a lot to answer for - or we the people do for only paying for and consuming that kind of media - for only ever presenting us the horror stories of hate and violence and abuse and rape and pedophilia and more. When one reads the papers or news sites too much one can be left with a horror of the world outside the door as if all humanity is rife with pure evil - and there is a hate crime or a pedo around every corner these days. One of my girlfriends not TOO long ago was even almost raped in the sleepy village of Maynooth and only got out of it due to - unfortunately for him - actually being combat trained.

But then you put the paper down and go out into the real world and see that it has left you with a skewed impression that the world is going down the toilet - when in fact for every horror story the paper brings you there are many 1000s of people leading normal lives wishing no harm on anyone - and wishing nothing but the best for their loved ones.

That said I doubt a "god" has anything to do with it actually, since you asked.

As a man greater than I once said (from memory so sorry if I get it wrong) “Evolution means our pre-frontal lobes are too small - our adrenal glands too big - our reproductive organs apparently designed by committee - and this recipe alone or in combination - is very certain to lead to some unhappiness and disorder.”

We are animals. We are something _else_ too of course - but animals we are. And all too often members of our species are only too happy to demonstrate this. From stories like the one you read - or the one that happened to you - to just simple things like if you walk into the average public toilet and find excrement smeared in ways and places that should be precluded anyone with anything even approaching normal physical capabilities.

And you see it on this very thread. Anger begets anger. Violence begets violence. Hate begets hate. The first port of call for many human brains when confronted with a story like this is "Bring them to the nearest stairs and throw them down". We want to solve every problem with violence or hate - and if you look around all too many threads on this very forum petty problems are met with personal derision - ad hominem - and so forth.

But we can similar to "What is wrong with people" ask "What is wrong with society" too. What leaves us in this state where our youth are so disaffected - bored - devoid of outlets - that they are left roaming with so much misdirected and unchannels frustration and hate in them? And year on year I watch in a mix of awe and horror as funding is moved away from public facilities - education - supports - and more that should be addressing these very things.

I was only 5 minutes before reading this thread watching the Evidence Submission of Brian Cox to a committee on the benefits of increasing funding in science and science education. And he had the facts, figures, and also personal experience from a "failing school" he became involved in and they were all not just positive but remarkably so. From the uptake of science, to the financial and social benefits and returns, right down to the simple rise in self esteem in the students of the facilities. It all punctuated every sentence he uttered in that 40 minutes.

So in short - there is no easy answer to a question like "What is wrong with people". It is a massively complex mix between us essentially still being very much animals - and failings in our society and culture to address many aspects of our miseries - and the simple pressures and hardships of the rat race that is our modern world.

And all of this coupled with the feeling I have long had that we are becoming a steadily more disconnected and insular and introverted world - as modern ways of life - and modern technologies - locks us into our own isolated bubbles of our work place - our vehicles - our media - our communicating more and more with others through screen and keyboard rather than through personal contact. And so on and so forth.

And now any and all actual interactions with people in our very modern world appears to be forever parsed through this new hyper sensitive scanner that seeks to find any and all examples of offence, bigotry, or hate in every word or phrase anyone even utters.

It is a multi-tiered layer cake of horror and failing that goes a lot deeper than there simply being something "wrong with people". And one could very easily lose oneself to despair in the face of it - if the world was not ALSO full of examples of the Love - the Intellect - the Charity - the Self Sacrifice - and the sheer nobility that our species IS capable of attaining when it rises above it's animal origins. What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel! in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!

A user I noticed on another After Hours thread yesterday - motivated mainly by religion and ignorance - was deriding the utility of things like CERN. For me CERN moves me to tears at times. The sheer coming together of human minds from all races - sexes - creeds - nationalities - in a joint human enterprise of discovery that transcends all petty human differences - is a beauty that for me is capable of rivalling any other in our universe.

Crap sorry - that was a TLDR tirade. I wonder if anyone actually read it.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

No....a broken jaw for nothing is scummy and wrong, simple.

Azalea wrote: »

Me too as it happens. I go there quite a bit to see gigs in the Roisin Dubh as it is quite easy to get to from where I live in Maynooth.

When I travel alone I tend to get the cheapest of hostelry as I do not like wasting money on a bed I only need for a few hours by going up market.

So I have been around that area quite a lot at varying times from 11pm to 3am depending what times the gigs ended - who if anyone I talked to after wards - or whether I got food or not.

Been through that area - around it - sat in it eating chips - all sorts. And never once saw trouble or had any visited upon me.
    No....a broken jaw for nothing is scummy and wrong, simple.

I did not suggest otherwise - so I am not totally clear on what you are saying "no" to. Or did you mean your reply for someone else? Confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

About a decade back I was assaulted for not having a ciggie to give a guy. While getting myself back on my feet dazed & shocked the guys girlfriend stamped on my left hand with her stiletto boot shattering my hand.

10 years on I still have pain in my left hand leading me to at times having to take both over the counter and prescription pain killers. Cold days is when it really gets sore. All because I didn't have a fag

My heart goes out to anyone who gets done over like I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

A couple of years ago I was sucker punched from the side when walking down a street in Mayo. When I hit the ground I got a number of kicks to the head.
    The result was a very badly broken nose, broken fingers on both hands. I have since taken up MMA and I dare some scrotes to try something like that on me again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

6541 wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I was sucker punched from the side when walking down a street in Mayo. When I hit the ground I got a number of kicks to the head.
    The result was a very badly broken nose, broken fingers on both hands. I have since taken up MMA and I dare some scrotes to try something like that on me again.

For a while after my assault I felt very edgy out at night, glad you got over your incident and turned it into something positive.

6541 wrote: »
    The result was a very badly broken nose, broken fingers on both hands.

Whats the going rate in Court if the guy got caught and charged with GBH?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Any one know what the different levels of Gbh are.
    When does it go to attempted murder causing Gbh.
    What is the lowest to the highest .
    A guy I know was attacked a few weeks ago by 8 scum dancing and jumping on his head.
    The boss of the gang came back to give him up to ten kicks to try and finish him off.
    He is alive but in a very bad way with brain damage.
    As far as am concerned the scum should be charged with attempted murder causing Gbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

GBH is a term used in the UK but it is not a term which is used in Irish law.

In Ireland, there is assault, assault causing harm and assault causing serious harm.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

It happened to me years ago and lucky for me there was a Garda that saw what happened.

Im totally a non violent person and I think its pretty low for someone to do that.

GBH is a term used in the UK but it is not a term which is used in Irish law.

In Ireland, there is assault, assault causing harm and assault causing serious harm.

See here.

Thanks Pat I will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This post has been deleted.

Well in fairness the usual punishment is to tell them they were very bad and give them a suspended sentence.

Meanwhile the person they attacked is affected possibly for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps if they experienced what they doled out they would be less likely to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Azalea wrote: »

Ah it's no better or worse than anywhere else really I think.

Everywhere has a few scumbags looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Got nutted myself about 20 years ago in an unprovoked assault, never even saw it coming and was left with a broken nose afterwards.

From reading the posts here it seems to happen quite a bit.

Got nutted myself about 20 years ago in an unprovoked assault, never even saw it coming and was left with a broken nose afterwards.

From reading the posts here it seems to happen quite a bit.

Thats the kind of thing that should get six months instantly.

Doesn't seem to happen though.

Maybe thats why such antics seem to happen quite a a lot.

• Advertisement

Has anyone watched the joy on tv3.
    I have to say what a joke of a prison.
    These scum should be doing hard labour instead of getting their new teeth or their fav program on tv.
    football training ,shop,education.ect ect its a joke of a country.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

that story rings a bell

a bandit tried to mug me outside that woodquay stores at 11 on a tuesday morning, in broad daylight

i was labouring for a builder at the time,and while the ****er was a bit bigger than me he looked like he never done a days work in his life or ate a right dinner,

i threw him around woodquay like a rag-doll,

a squad-car landed within 2 minutes

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One night about 15 years ago, out down the town in Dundalk at some nightclub. There was a group of about 10 or so of us, and we knew most of the other people in the club as we were pretty social folk back in them days.
    There was a group of lads there as well that we knew as being trouble. We'd seen the starting random fights, breaking into houses, robbing cars over the years, so we knew to give them a nod and plenty of distance.
    They all got kicked out of the nightclub for some reason, i don't recall why. Later that night as the club empties and we start to make our way to the taxi rank, we had to pass the group of lads who were hanging around outside on the square.
    As we walked by, they asked me for a smoke. I was just taking one out of my box at the time, so I said 'sure thing' and gave them one.
    Another lad with us had just lit one up and was taking a drag, the leader of the gang grabbed it out of his hand, the lad was starting to say something and I told him to leave it and gave him, and the thugs another smoke.
    We walk on, our group passes them with no more hassle.

When the next group of people start to pass by the f*ckers, all hell broke lose. A fight broke out, which got very violent very quickly. More people joined in.
    Then more people joined in. Glasses were smashed and used as weapons, all sorts of stuff being thrown through the air. Me and my group legged it to the taxi rank and got into cabs. We noticed a few stragglers from other groups of friends who were in the nightclub, we assembled them into our taxis and got them home with us.
    I even stopped one girl trying to go back into the middle of the full blown riot to get her boyfriend.
    That was one of the craziest nights i've experienced.

As we were pulling away, cars and vans were pulling up with more people jumping out of them with weapons. Apparently the fracas continued for another while and cars were damaged and ended on the other side of the town.

bigroad wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the joy on tv3.
    I have to say what a joke of a prison.
    These scum should be doing hard labour instead of getting their new teeth or their fav program on tv.
    football training ,shop,education.ect ect its a joke of a country.

There's a case reported today where a guy was convicted of stealing headstones etc from graves. Judge went on about how terrible it was for those who had lost loved ones, children etc and sentenced him to 3 years on each of eight charges to run concurrently.

Ok, I thought, three years and nothing suspended is still a fair enough sentence.

But then the judge announced that the guy was in jail at present serving four years for another crime. So he backdated the start of the three years sentences and made them run concurrently with his present jail sentence.

So essentially the guy, an obviously habitual criminal, got off scot free.

The Irish justice system is cockeyed. If somebody burgles your house, they'll get off (as in no serious penalty) the first several times they get convicted. But if somebody slips on your floor...it will cost you 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Have these summers being caught yet?

Hopefully theyv'e been run over by a bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

A user I noticed on another After Hours thread yesterday - motivated mainly by religion and ignorance - was deriding the utility of things like CERN. For me CERN moves me to tears at times. The sheer coming together of human minds from all races - sexes - creeds - nationalities - in a joint human enterprise of discovery that transcends all petty human differences - is a beauty that for me is capable of rivalling any other in our universe.

You won't be saying that on the day they burn a black hole into this planet's core. ;)

Only joking, well said btw, thanks.

Is it possible that we could get the public to have a march for change in the justice system a the government are doing nothing because they wont build more prisons.
    I think there is a connection between not building a new prison and the legal system keeping their revolving door policy.
    Are they afraid they will be down a 100k or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

About a decade back I was assaulted for not having a ciggie to give a guy. While getting myself back on my feet dazed & shocked the guys girlfriend stamped on my foot with her stiletto boot shattering my hand.

10 years on I still have pain in my left hand leading me to at times having to take both over the counter and prescription pain killers. Cold days is when it really gets sore. All because I didn't have a fag

My heart goes out to anyone who gets done over like I was.

:confused:

Asked for a fag plenty of times, never a hint of aggro.

Though I guess I'm usually asked in smoking areas, or near other smokers, as opposed to when walking down some random street.

And if walking home alone in a city, I kinda do that head up walk quickly thing...ever since I read years ago that they tend to target the fellows staring down or shuffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Thanks, seriously Garda should be stopping groups of wasters about towns and cities late at night (the ones that obviously not out for social reasons)
    Stop them, take names and tell them...."anything happens in town tonight we'll be looking for you lot to see if your involved"..can't be that hard.

While i agree with your sentiment, there just isn't the resources to go around randomly questioning every shifty character in a city and even an unlimited budget wouldn't achieve it.
    People themselves can take steps to prevent things likes this. I'm not in anyway condoning this disgusting act or placing blame on victims.
    But I think adults need to take responsibility for their own safety and as depressing as it is we have to realise there are people out there who want to do us harm for no reason at all. By doing simple things like planing transport. home before someone heads out, avoid loitering on streets after nights out and sticking with friends, people reduce their chances of things like this happening.

Advertisement