Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic and Northern Ireland will eventually be reunited, predicts Enda Kenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

dulpit wrote: »
    The majority of people in Northern Ireland wish to remain a part of the UK, it's not a forcible occupation. Most in this country and in the UK believe in self-determination, when the people of the North decide they want to be part of Ireland or for that matter independent, then that should happen. Until then, leave well enough alone.

weather they want to remain part of the uk or not is besides the point! it is ireland not uk ireland and the fact of the matter is that a larger part of the north wants unity so there for it is in fact forcible occupation it was taken by force and kept by force hence forcible occupation, FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

junder wrote: »
    Moaning about something that happened several hundred years ago is not going to be helpful either, fact is I am as much of this island as you are.

moaning about it????? wtf marching around playing undesirable songs in the face of those who have sufferd at the hand of this so called majority and then to top it off wanting to march across the border past the historical spots were heros of this country fought and were killed or taken off to be exacuted for standing up and saying i dont want you here? or the fact that any man speaking his native language was taken off and beheaded or hung? ye can take your majority and stick it,,, even south of the border people are still getting crap over it,, had an english girl tell me 1 day i was a stupid f***ing paddy and couldn't be trusted she had just arrived here i didn't like it and replyed my name is not paddy its f***ing ***** ye english f***** although i admit my reply was just as bad her comment came out of the blue and I almost lost my job because she reported me for being racist?? nah sorry wake up and smell the toast the english still hate us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

woodoo wrote: »

Marching up and down the street celebrating something that happened several hundred years ago is pretty silly too.

Will you be boycotting the Easter rising celebrations in 2016 then, or is 100 hundreds still ok, if so what is the cutt of for being able to celebrate something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Junder wrote:
    Moaning about something that happened several hundred years ago is not going to be helpful either, fact is I am as much of this island as you are.

I certainly don't deny that you are part of this island. But some of your posts here and the behaviour of many others shows very little affinity with this island, normally you make some effort to get on with the people where you live.

moaning about it????? wtf marching around playing undesirable songs in the face of those who have sufferd at the hand of this so called majority and then to top it off wanting to march across the border past the historical spots were heros of this country fought and were killed or taken off to be exacuted for standing up and saying i dont want you here? or the fact that any man speaking his native language was taken off and beheaded or hung? ye can take your majority and stick it,,, even south of the border people are still getting crap over it,, had an english girl tell me 1 day i was a stupid f***ing paddy and couldn't be trusted she had just arrived here i didn't like it and replyed my name is not paddy its f***ing ***** ye english f***** although i admit my reply was just as bad her comment came out of the blue and I almost lost my job because she reported me for being racist?? nah sorry wake up and smell the toast the english still hate us.

Excellent example of a MOPE post, you cite one example of an ignorant English women and blame the entire English people, if the English hated the Irish so much why does the Irish community account for one of the largest community's in England.
    On a side note, was at the pup's party conference last week and Brian ervine a wife gave a talk on unionism and the Irish langauge. Seems she was doing some family research and found her great grand father who was an east Belfast man born and bred was listed inthe 1911 census as an Irish speaker along with his entire household, he went on to join the UVF / 36th ulster divison and died at the somme. Seems quite a few ulster men who fought for king and country in the 36th ulster divsion were Irish speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Will you be boycotting the Easter rising celebrations in 2016 then, or is 100 hundreds still ok, if so what is the cutt of for being able to celebrate something?

That's a one day event that commemorates one of the principle catalysing events that led to us being a Republic.

It's hardly comparable with the annual marching season or as a Polish guy described it in AH 'carnival of hate' after trying to figure out why Polish flags were routinely burnt on loyalist bonfires alongside the Tricolour.
    Seems quite a few ulster men who fought for king and country in the 36th ulster divsion were Irish speakers.

Apparently Irish music was quite popular in traditionally Unionist/loyalist areas before the troubles kicked off.

That's a one day event that commemorates one of the principle catalysing events that led to us being a Republic.

It's hardly comparable with the annual marching season or as a Polish guy described it in AH 'carnival of hate' after trying to figure out why Polish flags were routinely burnt on loyalist bonfires alongside the Tricolour.

Apparently Irish music was quite popular in traditionally Unionist/loyalist areas before the troubles kicked off.

The polish flags being burnt most likely has something to do with the polish fans going on a rampage (where I live as it happens) during that Northern Ireland vrs Poland game. Still nothing is clear cut since I have a young cousin who is half Slovakian. Have a polish friend myself who I took to the 12th and Derry day and he thoroughly enjoyed himself still anecdotal evidence, got to love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

On a side note, was at the pup's party conference last week and Brian ervine a wife gave a talk on unionism and the Irish langauge. Seems she was doing some family research and found her great grand father who was an east Belfast man born and bred was listed inthe 1911 census as an Irish speaker along with his entire household, he went on to join the UVF / 36th ulster divison and died at the somme. Seems quite a few ulster men who fought for king and country in the 36th ulster divsion were Irish speakers.

Its good that Unionists are starting to feel comfortable talking out about the role of the Irish language in their past. Hopefully the attitude of others will change from seeing it as a nationalist token and instead see it as part of a shared heritage between both comunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

weather they want to remain part of the uk or not is besides the point! it is ireland not uk ireland and the fact of the matter is that a larger part of the north wants unity so there for it is in fact forcible occupation it was taken by force and kept by force hence forcible occupation, FACT

there is a community of people in northern ireland that do not want to be part of the republic......

to make them do so, would be a forced occupation....by the republic.....

in the best interest of all the people on the island.......peaceable transition is the best way......

history is the past.......the future is what matters.....

most of the world is occupied by people that have taken the land by force.....

ireland is not unique.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

it is ireland not uk ireland
    The UK is a political entity, Ireland is an island.
    Geographically, NI is part of Ireland. Politically NI is part of the UK. As of the last time anyone checked, the majority in NI want to remain in the UK.

When that changes, so will the political arrangements.

Imparting political significance to geographical layout is unhelpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

if it ever came to it, would Ireland even want the north back? seems like more trouble than they're worth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

if it ever came to it, would Ireland even want the north back? seems like more trouble than they're worth

on what basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

on what basis?
    This basis.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

I really don't think threats of Violence should be allowed to interfere with the democratic process, don't you agree?

An Coilean wrote: »
    I really don't think threats of Violence should be allowed to interfere with the democratic process, don't you agree?
    I totally agree. Let's scrap the good Friday agreement for that reason.

I totally agree. Let's scrap the good Friday agreement for that reason.

The good Friday agreement dosen't allow for threats of Violence interfereing with the democratic process, it sets out that concent of the majority is needed for any change to the status of NI.
    Do you disagree with that?

Also, it was pased democratically on both sides of the border, and it was not passed under threat of violence but as a solution to bring peace.

We could scrap the agreement, but I don't see how that removes the threat of Violence from NI politics, it just takes away the agreement that NI's future is based on democratic concent rather than violence.

You say we should throw out the Good Friday agreement because of the PIRA, yet point to the Ulster covenant as a valid reason not to persue Unity, two faced no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, the way things are going they might be reunited, as a new far-west German lander !
    Or, as part of some EU-superstate (more likely).

If anything were to happen the financial services hub status of the City of London Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK could be a little bit screwed.

The good Friday agreement dosen't allow for threats of Violence interfereing with the democratic process, it sets out that concent of the majority is needed for any change to the status of NI.
    Do you disagree with that?

Also, it was pased democratically on both sides of the border, and it was not passed under threat of violence but as a solution to bring peace.

We could scrap the agreement, but I don't see how that removes the threat of Violence from NI politics, it just takes away the agreement that NI's future is based on democratic concent rather than violence.
    The PIRA brought the British to the table using threats of violence. Undemocratically since nationalists are a minority in the north.

The PIRA brought the British to the table using threats of violence. Undemocratically since nationalists are a minority in the north.

Indeed they did, but the resulting agreement was accpeted by the majority on both sides of the border, the agreement sets out that Violence or threats of violence are not what the future status of NI will be based on. Do you disagree with this?
    Clearly you must as you want to throw out the Good Friday agreement.

Must say its strange to see you sharing a platform with the Real IRA.:D

Indeed they did, but the resulting agreement was accpeted by the majority on both sides of the border, the agreement sets out that Violence or threats of violence are not what the future status of NI will be based on. Do you disagree with this?
    Clearly you must as you want to throw out the Good Friday agreement.

Must say its strange to see you sharing a platform with the Real IRA.:D
    So you agree that the GFA was a result of "violence inferring with the democratic process". In that case I presume you are not in favour of it? On the side I never said I wanted to scrap the GFA. I want to see unification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

smcgiff wrote: »
    Looks like he forgot to mention the most likely reunification scenario - the ROI rejoining the UK
    The UK will not want this to happen, as it'll cause too much loss of life of it's citizens.

Realistically, I can't see it happening in my life time. The people up north will loose too much, and we'll be getting a lot of unemployed people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

well it was a racist statment,its so sad you cannot see it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Can't help but think the people that don't rank peace as the most important aspect have never experienced anything but peace. Do I want a UI? No. Are my believes worth anyone's, republican or unionist life's, no.
    What is the most important aspect? Should the world's boarders be remapped to suit a point in history, the world has been organised over thousands of years of fighting, it has been part of human evolution, should native Americans get their land back? Should aborigines get awarded control of Australia? How far back do wee look? Can I make a case for Ireland to reform with the UK because a few million years ago it was one big island.

Let's look forward, not back. The fact is no majority is in favor of a UI, Ireland, U.k and most importantly n.Ireland it's self are against it. It's not hard to see why, N.I Catholics are not oppressed anymore, They have a good life now, equal status and represented in all facets of life, as it should be. Good jobs, NHS, security etc are all tangible benefits over an old "dream". Today protestants and Catholics are truly equal and share power together, children are educated together, they police together and make policy together.

Back when the Catholics were second class citizens, when theye were truly oppressed and hard done by the dream of a UI was strong, but like many things history become just that, history, this can be seen by more and more Catholics against a UI. What tangible positive would come from a UI for the average N.Ireland Catholic family?

gallag wrote: »
    Can't help but think the people that don't rank peace as the most important aspect have never experienced anything but peace.

What kind of peace do you think there can be if people are denied the opportunity to work to fulfill their legimiate aspirations peacefully?

The Pertestant state tried to deny that to Nationalists in the past, it resulted in an extreamly violent and destructive war, lets not make the mistakes of the past again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The way I see it is that if the North votes in a referendum to leave the UK, then that is what will happen (over a period of time no doubt), and the exact same applies to Scotland who 'may' also leave the UK, come their referendum in 2014 - should they vote to do so (Big questionmark).

If Northern Ireland leaves the UK then thats good news for the rest of the UK, who will save a small fortune every year, same applies if Scotland departs. Ergo the rest of the UK (NI inc) will get a nice little financial boost thanks to the Barnet Formula. I bet Westminster would love to dump NI into the arms of Dublin (massive saving for them, massive headache for Dublin)!

But the crux of the matter is the will of the good people of Northern Ireland (and Scotland), and whether they vote to leave the UK, or to stay put?

Its all down to the people who live in those parts of the UK, and then the big elephant in the room: How might an independent Scotland compete with the ROI for jobs? and how would we support the North if London was no longer involved? [that's two massive questions for starters] and then what if a substantial proportion of the NI population rebelled against being pushed out of the UK? (possible violence on the streets)?

What a bloody minefield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

If northern ireland was handed over to the republic even for a few months Enda Kenny and every one else in the country would be begging britain to take it back. Unification would never be talked of again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

What kind of peace do you think there can be if people are denied the opportunity to work to fulfill their legimiate aspirations peacefully?

The Pertestant state tried to deny that to Nationalists in the past, it resulted in an extreamly violent and destructive war, lets not make the mistakes of the past again.

There were no 'Nationalists' when th North was partitioned catholis there made no objections.

There there was a civil rights crisis. Even now in the catholic population alone in th North only 7% when polled want a UI.

They wanted equal rights.

It was extremists who changed the dialogue.

And the British DID want to resolve it democratically as did the protestants (eventually) they simply did not want the ROI to have a say.

SF and the IRA were given a demorati option if they chose to work peaefully and ommit to that process and give in to democracy. They did not.

Even now they refuse to acknowledge most people in NI in both communities do not want a UI.

And Peace is the most important issue....put your 'aspirations' aside ...to be honest simply because they cannot be accomplished democratically is no excuse.

There are many who did not succumb to violent republicanism who did a lot more for civil rights and the people of this country.

Some of our most patriotic heroes never succumbed too violnt republicanism despite MUCH provocation. They are the real heroes.

As that behavuoir is the only way in whih democratic processes an be created and any violence kills the potential for democracy for generations. And it kills the social structures for democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There were no 'Nationalists' when th North was partitioned catholis there made no objections..

Really....you've some source for that? I'm sure the hundreds killed and thousands displaced during the partition might have had some opinion on the matter...more than likely not positive.
    They wanted equal rights.

It was extremists who changed the dialogue...

...nothing to do with protests being batoned off the streets, or any of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

marky1905 wrote: »
    If northern ireland was handed over to the republic even for a few months Enda Kenny and every one else in the country would be begging britain to take it back. Unification would never be talked of again!!

:rolleyes:
    The GFA is the only show in town.You have peace now because Republicans have committed themselves to the political route.
    Why should Republicans bother with this if you're mob are only going to resort to violence if you are outvoted in a United Ireland referendum?

• Advertisement

Glassheart wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    The GFA is the only show in town.You have peace now because Republicans have committed themselves to the political route.
    Why should Republicans bother with this if you're mob are only going to resort to violence if you are outvoted in a United Ireland referendum?

We have peace now because republicans realised their armed campaign was never going to win! now mcguinness and his pals are calling other republicans traitors for things they were doing not long ago, hypocrites!! Out voted in a united ireland referendum, wise up!! most nationalists wouldn't even vote to join your stupid wee country!

BTW are you coming up today for some bargains!?
    ;)

We have peace now because republicans realised their armed campaign was never going to win! now mcguinness and his pals are calling other republicans traitors for things they were doing not long ago, hypocrites!! Out voted in a united ireland referendum, wise up!! most nationalists wouldn't even vote to join your stupid wee country!

;)

Anti Irish bigotry is actually very upsetting you need to apologize for your ignorant comments I have never personally shown anything but respect towards both communities in the North.

I am personally offended.

If you don't feel comfortable around Irish people don't speak to us.

Claiming you want to join the conversation and express your side so long as you can bring insults like that into it so casually is astounding.

I cannot believe people on either side of the community think it is ok to speak to people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

most nationalists wouldn't even vote to join your stupid wee country!

How would you know? You don't sound like the type who associates with many nationalists.
    BTW are you coming up today for some bargains!? ;)

Hardly the worth the while any more given the narrowing in prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Anti Irish bigotry is actually very upsetting you need to apologize for your ignorant comments I have never personally shown anything but respect towards both communities in the North.

Claiming you want to join the conversation and express your side so long as you can bring insults like that into it so casually is astounding.

I cannot believe people on either side of the community think it is ok to speak to people like that.
    when you post often enough on these type of posts,you will find it brings out all the extremists,the anti-brits the anti-irish,most seem to have a IQ of a 14 year old

yo

Sorry if i was offensive towards you, but on these forums as soon as people find out your an northern irish prod your getting called things like "bible thumping lowland scot " "loyalist bigot" "ill bred, english cannon fodder" so you tend to be on the defensive!

on these forums as soon as people find out your an northern irish prod

Umm.. you're really not doing your demographic any favours by spouting rubbish like below.
    your stupid wee country!

Don't forget that it was 'your crowd' who turned the north into a sectarian cess-pit and allowed it become the failed state that it is rather than 'have a taig about the place'.

Also, if it's true that most 'Nationalists wouldn't want to join our stupid wee country' did you ever wonder why?

I'll tell you why. Nationalists are well on their way to running the place and people will act in their economic interests first. When the 26 counties does recover and it looks economically promising the country will be united.

The future is bright. The future is green.

• Advertisement

Umm.. you're really not doing your demographic any favours by spouting rubbish like below.

Don't forget that it was 'your crowd' who turned the north into a sectarian cess-pit and allowed it become the failed state that it is rather than 'have a taig about the place'.

Also, if it's true that most 'Nationalists wouldn't want to join our stupid wee country' did you ever wonder why?

I'll tell you why. Nationalists are well on their way to running the place and people will act in their economic interests first. When the 26 counties does recover and it looks economically promising the country will be united.

The future is bright. The future is green.

Who's my crowd? Northern Irelands doing just fine these days! If its that much a failed state why will people from your country be flocking here in their droves today? didn't see many southern reg cars 15 years ago!

Most nationalist are happy with the status quo, everybody gets a fair crack of the whip these days and their free to celebrate their irishness. The last thing NI needs or your country needs is to be joining together.

No one can predict the future, but if there is ever a united ireland its to bad you wont be around to see it!!

;)

Somewhat predictably you won't answer the question.Instead you just resort to demonstrating the usual undesirable traits associated with your ilk.
    I'll have to conclude that you support loyalist violence.

The only thing N.I. has going for itself is the generosity of the southern English taxpayer.Pull the plug and you guys would be twice as bad as Greece.

Glassheart wrote: »
    Somewhat predictably you won't answer the question.Instead you just resort to demonstrating the usual undesirable traits associated with your ilk.
    I'll have to conclude that you support loyalist violence.

The only thing N.I. has going for itself is the generosity of the southern English taxpayer.Pull the plug and you guys would be twice as bad as Greece.

What about the mess your own country would've been in if it hadn't been for the generosity of the UK taxpayer! Good having Britain as your nextdoor neighbour when your countrys going down the pan and you need a few bilion quid!!

seriously who in the right mind would want to leave the UK and join up with the banana republic of ireland!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

What about the mess your own country would've been in if it hadn't been for the generosity of the UK taxpayer! Good having Britain as your nextdoor neighbour when your countrys going down the pan and you need a few bilion quid!!

Yea, a few billion that we'll pay back with interest.
    The north on the other hand just costs the english taxpayer a fortune, they'd be glad to see the back of it.

• Advertisement

The last thing NI needs or your country needs is to be joining together.

I was brought up in the north and live in the south. My country is this island as far as I'm concerned.
    No one can predict the future, but if there is ever a united ireland its to bad you wont be around to see it!!

Do you see what you did there? You made a statement 'no one can predict the future' and immediately contradicted it by saying that 'too bad you won't be around to see it'.
    What about the mess your own country would've been in if it hadn't been for the generosity of the UK taxpayer!

How delightfully naive of you to think that that loan was a bailout for the average Irish person. British banks are up to their necks* in Ireland's economic woes (£140B and that's leaving aside British based multinationals) and a collapse of this state would be a massive loss for the UK economy.

*"We are going to do what we regard as being in the British national interest"

George Osbourne on the 'bailout'.

seriously who in the right mind would want to leave the UK and join up with the banana republic of ireland!?

I wouldn't want ya's anyway, we've enough trouble down here without having to sort out your pathetic sectarian bigotry too.
    Stay as you are.

gerryo777 wrote: »

I wouldn't want ya's anyway, we've enough trouble down here without having to sort out your pathetic sectarian bigotry too.
    Stay as you are.

You're every bit as moronic as he is.

yo

Sorry if i was offensive towards you, but on these forums as soon as people find out your an northern irish prod your getting called things like "bible thumping lowland scot " "loyalist bigot" "ill bred, english cannon fodder" so you tend to be on the defensive!

Thank you for your apology.

And those comments above are unacceptable infact they are outrageous.

I can't help but notice some of the comments above a getting offensive to BOTH sides.
    Stay as you are.

Both comments are just ridiculous. Both attitudes are the problem.
    Regardless of how heated a debate gets we cannot forget what is acceptable.

I am embarrassed as a human sometimes.

More important to me than being Irish is not being racist and being a nice person.....

I wish the lines were drawn alone THOSE sides.

You're every bit as moronic as he is.

Thanks. That adds a lot.

What about the mess your own country would've been in if it hadn't been for the generosity of the UK taxpayer!

The 7 billion from the English taxpayer was a political gesture.Our fate wasn't exactly hinged on it.

The idea that this money - or any other 'bailout' money - was necessary is a debate for another day.

I was brought up in the north and live in the south. My country is this island as far as I'm concerned.

Do you see what you did there? You made a statement 'no one can predict the future' and immediately contradicted it by saying that 'too bad you won't be around to see it'.

How delightfully naive of you to think that that loan was a bailout for the average Irish person. British banks are up to their necks* in Ireland's economic woes (£140B and that's leaving aside British based multinationals) and a collapse of this state would be a massive loss for the UK economy.

*"We are going to do what we regard as being in the British national interest"

George Osbourne on the 'bailout'.

Glad to see you found your spiritual homeland chuck! where bouts in NI are you originally from?

How do you suppose leaving the UK and joining with the republic would benefit NI? an end to sectarianism and we all live happily ever after, you know as well as i do a united ireland scenario would be a victory of one side over the other, one side rubbing the others face in it, we won youse uns lost, there's no doubt it would lead to more violence.

You'll never understand because the political position of your ilk is to suck on the teet of the English taxpayer while Nationalists want an independent Ireland that will stand on it's own without foreign interference.

Furthermore,they would live in a country where the influence of goons like Paisley,McCausland (and all those other creationist weirdos) would be halved overnight.

How do you suppose leaving the UK and joining with the republic would benefit NI? an end to sectarianism and we all live happily ever after, you know as well as i do a united ireland scenario would be a victory of one side over the other, one side rubbing the others face in it, we won youse uns lost, there's no doubt it would lead to more violence.

This is what you already have and you've created an entire 'culture' around it.

Glad to see you found your spiritual homeland chuck! where bouts in NI are you originally from?

Dont confuse the republican mentality with the loyalist/unionist one. republicanism is about whats genuinely best for the country, everybody wins

• Advertisement
Advertisement