Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car keeps sliding . . .

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Esel wrote: »
    I would have thought (no personal experience though...) that winter tyres in general would be 'grippier'.

OP mentions Nexen is the brand on the rear.

From here (picked from google of nexen tyres review)

@OP I really think you need to investigate why your Dad had winter tyres fitted.

He had winter tyres fitted because he thought I would need them because its nearly winter! My mother usually brings the cars for a service, new tyres etc and he thought they always changed them for the winter, he thought you had to so he asked for winter tyres.
    I just didnt think it would be difficult to go and get some tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

DylanII wrote: »
    He had winter tyres fitted because he thought I would need them because its nearly winter! My mother usually brings the cars for a service, new tyres etc and he thought they always changed them for the winter, he thought you had to so he asked for winter tyres.
    I just didnt think it would be difficult to go and get some tires.

Its not nearly winter and no you do not legally "need" winter tyres in most parts of Europe and certainly not here. They are great at low temps and I do advocate them, but within reason (its August btw, our hottest month?).

Are your parents from a country with more proactive tyre laws than Ireland (Nordics, Germany etc)? If not, Im quite dubious of the lack of general road knowledge you (3 people combined) are displaying!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I once ended up sideways on the opposite side of the road.

Your driving a 01 focus, right? How exactly are you entering and exiting corners, even with close to bald tyres you should still be able to go around corners or brake without loosing control.
    Is it possible you don't know how to brake properly, have you went for a drive with your dad and demonstrated the car sliding to him. I think either there's something really wrong with your car or your driving style needs some serious work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Always have your best tyres on the back wheels.

Scenario 1: Best tyres on front, you go into a bend and front tyres give no indication of understeer as they are able to move the water from under the road contact area, rear tyres can't keep up lose grip and rear of car goes you are now either dead/injured or about to call your insurance company

Scenario 2: Best tyres on back, you go into a bend and front tres begin to slowly lose grip as they become unable to move the water from under the contact area, you slow down and continue driving and make a mental note to get some new tyres.

I know which scenario i would choose.

Simple solution OP is get matching tyres for front and rear, you now have a set of winter and summer tyres and all i right with the world (best tyres on the back mind) that is unless the backs are complete muck in which case get some cheaper €80-100 bridgestones or michelins or something of similar quality.

Also if you start to think "Jaysus i dunno that's alot of money" think of how it felt as you slid onto the wrong side of the road backwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Sids Not wrote: »
    I'm guessin Nankang or some other asian crap........

nothing wrong with nankings... they make a 316i drive like a m3 on its limits so long as you hit a wet patch of road :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OK.

I assume your family has a good business relationship with your mechanic / tyre shop then. If this is actually the case, then the best way forward is to go back and have the winter tyres replaced with regular (summer) tyres. If they want to keep your business, they should not charge for doing this. If the Nexen tyres are at 80% tread as you have said, you could probably safely leave them on the rear.

If the above suggestion is not possible, then just have the wheels switched front to rear (including balancing the 'new' fronts) as I said above.

A (more expensive) alternative (if you live in an area which is subject to severe winter conditions) would be to have another pair of winter tyres fitted to the rear of your car. Winter tyres all round would probably work fine all year here, but they would posssibly increase road noise somewhat.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

My brother has a galaxy and when he bought it part of the deal was two new tyres. After a few days the car felt very nervous and almost dangerous to drive. A ford garage mechanic eventually spotted the problem it turned out that the front tyres were a different size to the rears and as a result the front tyres were spinning at a different speed to the back hance confusing the traction control. The system kept thinking the car skidding. The previous owner had fitted oversized tyres to the car and the brothers dealer fitted proper sized tyres. Check the new tyres are a exact size match as the olds. Best way to prevent this in the future is to swap the fronts with the rears every six months to keep the wear even and replace all four tyres at the same time.

Advertisement