Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car keeps sliding . . .

Options
  • 25-08-2012 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently got two new tyres on my car. I didnt have the time so I asked my dad to go. He came bank with winter tyres. They are the two front tyres.

Since then my far has been sliding out at the back a lot. I regain control quickly, but it just doesn't feel right. I once ended up sideways on the opposite side of the road. This is on roads that I'm used to and going at a lower speed that before.

Could the winter tires be causing this. With the new front and old back are cheap tyres, I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

if the back is sliding, then it's the rear tyres that are causing the problem. Front grips and rear doesn't == rear slides around.

Get proper tyres for the rear and it'll improve the situation no end. I'd suggest staying away from the ditchfinder brands when you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

The rear tyres were on the car when I got it a few months ago and still have about 80% left. They never caused a problem before so I thought they wouldn't be the problem . . . I don't know anything about cars though.

Tread depth left is no indicator of the quality.

If the rear tyres are sliding then you need to change the rear tyres before you have an accident. Please change them before you involve someone else in that accident.

Popoutman wrote: »
    Tread depth left is no indicator of the quality.

If the rear tyres are sliding then you need to change the rear tyres before you have an accident. Please change them before you involve someone else in that accident.

Thanks,

Yes I will change them I have started driving really slow when turning though until I got them on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Believe it or not, the major tyre companies recommend fitting the better set of tyres on the rear wheels.

So, in your case, you should have the new tyres installed on the rear, and be sure to have the (older) rear wheels balanced before having them fitted on the front.

I'd say you will definitely notice the difference!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Believe it or not, the major tyre companies recommend fitting the better set of tyres on the rear wheels.

So, in your case, you should have the new tyres installed on the rear, and be sure to have the (older) rear wheels balanced before having them fitted on the front.

I'd say you will definitely notice the difference!

Really? That seems kind of strange considering the front controls most of the movement!

Better tyres on the rear ensures that the car will be less likely to rotate under emergency braking. Better tyres on the rear ensures that the car will understeer in a more controlled manner when going around a corner.

There's no other real options other than change the dangerous tyres that you appear to have on your car before you have an accident. In the interim between your ordering the tyres, you might swap front and back so that you are less likely to spin while driving normally, though you will most likely straight-line on bends and overrun stop lines. Drive as though you are on ice. Chances are you have about the same level of grip :(

DylanII wrote: »
    Thanks,

Yes I will change them I have started driving really slow when turning though until I got them on Monday.

I apologise - I had missed this update. Good on you :) Please take care as emergency braking will catch you out until your 4 tyres are grippy enough!

Okay thank you

Just swap back to front (NB remember to get wheels going on front balanced).

How did your Dad end up with winter tyres anyway?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I love the way the OP's tyres are labeled as "dangerous" with absolutely no evidence whosoever, and the ridiculous Gay Byrne lecture that goes alongside it. Pure bluffer guesswork.

OP, post some data if you want a proper answer: car make and model, tyre makes, models, sizes and positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

dahamsta wrote: »
    I love the way the OP's tyres are labeled as "dangerous" with absolutely no evidence whosoever, and the ridiculous Gay Byrne lecture that goes alongside it.

OP, post some data if you want a proper answer: car make and model, tyre makes, models, sizes and positions.
    ^this! Most interested to hear what car it is, and brand of tyres...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I'm guessin Nankang or some other asian crap........

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

could be a rear wheel drive car for all anyone knows... who ever heard of getting new tyres when they are 80% ok without any other data or anything... most tyre places do free checks and will give you advice in about 10 seconds that makes sense, unlike the hours and hours of fantastic advice given here.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I love the way the OP's tyres are labeled as "dangerous" with absolutely no evidence whosoever, and the ridiculous Gay Byrne lecture that goes alongside it. Pure bluffer guesswork.

Other then the car sliding around and him ending up on the wrong side of the road at one point presumably?

OP, what car is it and what brands of tyres have you got fitted front and rear?

The reason that newer/better tyres are recommended on the rear is basically, for the average joe soap, understeer is much more neutral and easier controlled by natural reactions then oversteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Popoutman wrote: »
    Better tyres on the rear ensures that the car will be less likely to rotate under emergency braking. Better tyres on the rear ensures that the car will understeer in a more controlled manner when going around a corner.

True that. The only downside is that if the better quality tyres are on the rear your braking distance is likely to be slightly longer if in a straight line emergency stop.

Other then the car sliding around and him ending up on the wrong side of the road at one point presumably?

That doesn't support the nonsense conclusions being drawn in this thread, and you know damned well it doesn't. Any other useless, unhelpful, smartarsed observations to make about my comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Veloce wrote: »
    True that. The only downside is that if the better quality tyres are on the rear your braking distance is likely to be slightly longer if in a straight line emergency stop.

Not necessarily, the braking balance and shift in weight distribution favours pushing the front wheels hard onto the road and increasing grip under braking. While at the same time the downward force on the back wheels is reduced.

That doesn't support the nonsense conclusions being drawn in this thread, and you know damned well it doesn't. Any other useless, unhelpful, smartarsed observations to make about my comment?

Tyres have been changed, now the car is sliding.....no, your right, there is no evidence of tyres being the issue.

Sounds like a bad time of the month for a discussion with you though.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not necessarily, the braking balance and shift in weight distribution favours pushing the front wheels hard onto the road and increasing grip under braking. While at the same time the downward force on the back wheels is reduced.

If their weigh pushes onto tyres with poor traction then you can be in bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Of course, but you'd likely be in bother anyway if the rear end passes you by with even less grip. That problem would be due to bad tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Of course, but you'd likely be in bother anyway if the rear end passes you by with even less grip. That problem would be due to bad tyres.

Yes but I said that the braking distance is likely to longer in a *straight line* with poorer quality tyres at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't quite get how having fitted the new tyres to the front can have made such a difference to rear grip. I could understand it if perhaps the OP was driving under race conditions where maybe a change in front tyre characteristic might lead to more roll in a bend or something but driving normally, I find this quite strange. Its not as if the new winters on the front could be offering stunning levels of grip surely

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

as previous post. car make?, model?, engine?, tyre sizes(profiles etc) all matching? tyre pressures matching?

reminds me of my 2-3yr old kormorans on the back of my 406 giving me a lot of sideways action in the wet (and ice) loads of tread on them say 50% All tyre sizes and pressures same. I put it down to the tyres getting harder with age and problem sorted by replacing them. best 'looking' tyres I ever threw away....

guess it could be a simalar thing here?

Its a 2001 Ford Focus - I believe the tyres are 15'' the winter tyres are sempert and the rear are nexen

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

DylanII wrote: »
    Its a 2001 Ford Focus - I believe the tyres are 15'' the winter tyres are sempert and the rear are nexen

IMHO its just a bad tyre combination for your car, (harder tyres on the back). if it was me I'd fit the same tyres on the back and keep the old ones for the spare. expensive i know but what price on your saftey?

Sounds like a bad time of the month for a discussion with you though.

How mature. The observation of an adolescent teen.

Did you read the recommendations being made earlier in the thread? The back is sliding out because [edit] winters were added to the front? Them's some special tyres. [Sure, crap tyres on the back won't help, but unless they've magically changed, then actual data is needed.]

My point is that with zero actual data available, the conclusions being drawn are nonsense; and that the Gay Byrne style lectures are just ridiculous. Did you have to respond with such a smart-assed comment, before reiterating my suggestion almost verbatim? How is that helping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

How is that helping?

Cause it is giving the rest of us a laugh...

If that's what makes you laugh fella, you must have some dull life.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't quite get how having fitted the new tyres to the front can have made such a difference to rear grip. I could understand it if perhaps the OP was driving under race conditions where maybe a change in front tyre characteristic might lead to more roll in a bend or something but driving normally, I find this quite strange. Its not as if the new winters on the front could be offering stunning levels of grip surely
    I would have thought (no personal experience though...) that winter tyres in general would be 'grippier'.

OP mentions Nexen is the brand on the rear.

From here (picked from google of nexen tyres review)
    Nexen has filed patents on several of their new tire formulations which use nanoparticle technology....they are NOT a fly by night company. The company originates from a joint venture of Michelin in France and Woosung tire located in Korea. They have been in the business since 1984 and recently opened the Nexen tire brand here in the US. Their technology as well as their tires are performing quite well and their prices are much lower than most of their competitors...

@OP I really think you need to investigate why your Dad had winter tyres fitted.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement