Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee Gluten cross reactivity

• 03-12-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

Hi there,

I cut gluten out of my diet years ago as it was causing digestive issues. I felt a lot better without it but I was still having some problems which kept getting worse to the point that I started questioning whether I has gluten sensitivity at all or was it something else.

So after a year+ of trying to figure out what was causing my issues by eliminating different foods I tried removing coffee.

Crazy as it sounds cutting out coffee has worked! So apparently after researching online there is such thing as "coffee gluten cross reactivity", seems to be disputed by scientists though.

Thought this might help someone suffering with similar issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Is it not more plausible that you are sensitive to coffee/caffeine than gluten? If nothing changed until you removed coffee i doubt the issue was gluten anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Davei141 wrote: »
    Is it not more plausible that you are sensitive to coffee/caffeine than gluten? If nothing changed until you removed coffee i doubt the issue was gluten anyway.

No no no, gluten, carbs and the devil are the devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

I'm actually too afraid now to try gluten in case it brings everything back again. Although I usually succumb to some Christmas pudding at this time of year so I might get an opportunity to test my theory then (since I'm not having the issues anymore I'll actually properly be able to test gluten).

Other than remembering I felt better when I cut it out years ago and the fact that there are coeliacs in my family I have no evidence it was gluten.

It's not caffeine because I'm still drinking plenty of tea.

Coffee is a weird thing to react to but there you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You've done it the right way, many can learn from this process. Don't accept feeling unwell all the time, eliminate until you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

TeamJesus wrote: »
    I'm actually too afraid now to try gluten in case it brings everything back again. Although I usually succumb to some Christmas pudding at this time of year so I might get an opportunity to test my theory then (since I'm not having the issues anymore I'll actually properly be able to test gluten).

Other than remembering I felt better when I cut it out years ago and the fact that there are coeliacs in my family I have no evidence it was gluten.

It's not caffeine because I'm still drinking plenty of tea.

Coffee is a weird thing to react to but there you have it.

Some people react pretty badly to coffee in lots of ways. Just be thankful you have eliminated the trigger, keep your tea for your caffeine hit and forget about the whole gluten link. People have been conditioned to think recently that cutting out gluten fixes everything, most of the time that is not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/gluten-issues-or-celiac-dont-drink-coffee/ Seems like they are linked, there are numerous articles like this.

I'm a coeliac and I notice that when I have coffee I always seem to get headaches and stomach pains, I don't drink it every day but when I do I nearly always get these symptoms. It's so hard to resist a cappucino though :(

Are you serious?

I had to give up coffee for a year because it started upsetting my stomach so much and now I still couldn't/wouldn't have more than one really. I drink a lot of pepsi max lately as well =/
    I'll have to try cut it out. Somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

Thanks guys glad you've found the cause of your problems! Maybe coffee is a common thing that people react to without realising it.

That's interested missguided since you actually know for sure that you can't tolerate gluten and coffee is a no-no too.

I've never got a tested for gluten sensitivity it's just been through my own elimination process, I wonder if there are any other coeliacs who noticed this?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I have IBS and cannot tolerate much caffeine at all. Decaf seems pretty fine.

I'd say 99% of the time when people feel better going gluten free they are actually having trouble digesting the fructans in wheat, not the gluten.

An easy way to test this is to try spelt bread instead of wheat (also cut out onions and garlic at the same time - high in fructans also). Spelt shouldn't cause the bloating and digestive upset that wheat causes in some people.

Having said that, if your gut is very inflamed you may even react to spelt. In this instance it's best to wait for the flare to pass and be symptom free until trying out new foods.

Advertisement