Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling All-Stars 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

deadybai wrote: »
    Still dont think Canning has lived up to his hype. Him getting an All Star this year is completely out of the question. What did he do? Galways only win was against Laois in this years championship.

Not saying he should or will get an All-Star, but the most people that say he hasn't lived up to his hype are usually the least who have seen him play. Go watch him live and see how good he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

MfMan wrote: »
    Not saying he should or will get an All-Star, but the most people that say he hasn't lived up to his hype are usually the least who have seen him play. Go watch him live and see how good he really is.

Ive seen him a few times for both Portumna and Galway. He certainly does a exceptional talent and is a phenomenal athlete. but i dont think he is up there with the best forwards. Maybe eventually he will be one day but if you were to ask me for example who would you rather in your team John Mullane/Eoin Kelly (Tipp), id pick those two over Canning all day long no questions asked.
    Canning would be more on the level of someone like TJ Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Clearly you are a bit simple. Firstly, yes, yes it is some kind of fantasy team. Clearly. Numpty.

JJ is the best defender of modern times. Richie Mc is currently the best full back in Ireland.

Cahill was injured, that is the reason he was not on the Tipp team. Clearly you know very little about hurling.

You're hardly in a position to insult anyone else given your contribution on this thread. I'm wondering how much hurling you've ever actually seen.

Kilkenny have won every competition they've entered this season and they've won three of the last four All Ireland's. Yet apparently they only merit two players on a composite team of the best players currently playing the game. Meanwhile, the team they've beaten time and again over recent years make up half that composite team. Do you really think that makes sense? Do you honestly think Brian Cody would take half of the Tipp team in preference to his own players, given the opportunity?

You also seem to have very arbitrary reasons for including players. Seamus Callanan & John O'Dwyer are included on the strength of one good year ahead of Richie Power who has been a key player for several years and who was the most decisive forward over the two recent finals. Michael Cahill, who played little this year, and Seamus Hickey, who had a brilliant year, are both included ahead of Paul Murphy who has had three brilliant years. Padraic Maher is picked ahead of Cillian Buckley for God alone knows why! Michael Fennelly doesn't even get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Martin567 wrote: »
    You're hardly in a position to insult anyone else given your contribution on this thread. I'm wondering how much hurling you've ever actually seen.

Kilkenny have won every competition they've entered this season and they've won three of the last four All Ireland's. Yet apparently they only merit two players on a composite team of the best players currently playing the game. Meanwhile, the team they've beaten time and again over recent years make up half that composite team. Do you really think that makes sense? Do you honestly think Brian Cody would take half of the Tipp team in preference to his own players, given the opportunity?

You also seem to have very arbitrary reasons for including players. Seamus Callanan & John O'Dwyer are included on the strength of one good year ahead of Richie Power who has been a key player for several years and who was the most decisive forward over the two recent finals. Michael Cahill, who played little this year, and Seamus Hickey, who had a brilliant year, are both included ahead of Paul Murphy who has had three brilliant years. Padraic Maher is picked ahead of Cillian Buckley for God alone knows why! Michael Fennelly doesn't even get a mention.

Do you understand the difference between best individuals and best teams?

Do you understand that between very good players personal preference plays a part? Is Ronaldo better than Messi? Are they close? Which do you prefer? Does it matter?

The reaction of Kilkenny posters to an off the cuff selection is very funny.

:)

Actually you probably would have a stronger half back line to my fantasy team by shifting B Maher to 6 and playing Buckley instead. Or Murphy, who if prefer to fit in somewhere.

Canning is the best forward in Ireland and as touched on above is held back by virtue of playing for an inconsistent Galway. Callanan is not in his league.

Michael Fennelly is awesome at his best, but he has not been at that for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Do you understand the difference between best individuals and best teams?

Do you understand that between very good players personal preference plays a part?
    Is Ronaldo better than Messi? Are they close? Which do you prefer? Does it matter?

The reaction of Kilkenny posters to an off the cuff selection is very funny.

:)

Actually you probably would have a stronger half back line to my fantasy team by shifting B Maher to 6 and playing Buckley instead. Or Murphy, who if prefer to fit in somewhere.

Canning is the best forward in Ireland and as touched on above is held back by virtue of playing for an inconsistent Galway. Callanan is not in his league.

Michael Fennelly is awesome at his best, but he has not been at that for quite a while now.

I understand that difference very well. I just didn't realise that Kilkenny had so many inferior players to Tipperary and that we only continually beat them due to a greater team ethic. What a plucky bunch we are!;)

I'd prefer to include both Murphy & Buckley, thanks. I certainly wouldn't have Padraic Maher in the best three half backs in the game. Liam Rushe is a better centre back while Brendan Maher is a better wing back and all round hurler.

Michael Fennelly was the most influential midfielder last Saturday. He's been curtailed by injuries the last two years. You selected Michael Cahill despite him having the same problems. I thought your whole point was to select the best team when fit!Of course personal preference plays a part. In this case your personal preference is to rule against the Kilkenny players, for different reasons each time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Gleeson will get an all star but in my opinion he is maybe 5/6th best Goalkeeper in Ireland, Glas.

Eoin Murphy, Stephen O Keeffe, Nash (although had a poor year), Alan Nolan and probably Gary Maguire are all better.

Gleeson will get an all star but in my opinion he is maybe 5/6th best Goalkeeper in Ireland, Glas.

Eoin Murphy, Stephen O Keeffe, Nash (although had a poor year), Alan Nolan and probably Gary Maguire are all better.
    Discount Nash. Any of the rest of them, grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Clearly you are a bit simple. Firstly, yes, yes it is some kind of fantasy team. Clearly. Numpty.

JJ is the best defender of modern times. Richie Mc is currently the best full back in Ireland.

Cahill was injured, that is the reason he was not on the Tipp team. Clearly you know very little about hurling.

Ha. Ha. Lucky little man. Possessed with charm and a searing insight into hurling. If you were watching you'd have seen Cahill come on in both AIs.

Think he will also, on balance. However, the only ball from play he hit in the NHL final was the winner in the last minute, was largely quiet for the rest of the game and drove a few shots wide. Ditto, in the drawn game v Galway, it was nearly an hour before he made any contribution from play. MOTM in the replay. Leinster final 6/10, semi-final v LK, largely marked out of it. Drawn AI final very good and influential, replay sub-par. Very up-and-down would you agree?

Conor Cooney an outside bet anyone?

If I had a choice between Cooney or Canning I'd take Cooney every time. Far better hurler for GY this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RebelRay

Stephen O Keeffe should be in with a shout! for goalie. Dont think canning will get the nod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

citykat wrote: »
    If I had a choice between Cooney or Canning I'd take Cooney every time. Far better hurler for GY this year.

Oh God! I wish you were managing KK!! :D

:) agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Here is Joe Dooley's team of the year as published on the RTE website:

GOALKEEPER: Eoin Murphy (Kilkenny)

FULL-BACK LINE: Paul Murphy (Kilkenny), JJ Delaney (Kilkenny) and Seamus Hickey (Limerick).

HALF-BACK LINE: Brendan Maher (Tipperary), Paudie Maher (Tipperary), Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny).

MIDFIELDERS: Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), Shane McGrath (Tipperary).

HALF-FORWARD LINE: John O'Dwyer (Tipperary), Patrick Maher (Tipperary), TJ Reid (Kilkenny).

FULL-FORWARD LINE: Colin Fennelly (Kilkenny), Seamus Callanan (Tipperary), Richie Power (Kilkenny).

I think we'll leave the great man where he is given he's doing such a good job. If it aint broke don't fix it...;).

From rte.ie:
    All-Ireland champions Kilkenny lead the way in the hurling All Star nominations with no fewer than 13 Cats making the shortlist. They are followed closely by beaten finalists Tipperary, who receive 11. The remainder of the 45 places go to Limerick (7), Cork (6) Wexford (3), Dublin (2) and one apiece for Clare, Offaly and Galway.

Kilkenny's Richie Hogan and TJ Reid, along with Tipperary's Séamus Callanan, are nominated for the Hurler of the Year award. Cathal Barrett (Tipperary), Shane Dowling (Limerick) and Conor McDonald (Wexford) are up for the Young Hurler of the Year gong.

The All Stars shortlist was selected by GAA journalists and the awards for the successful 15 candidates, along with the Player of the Year awards, which are voted on by the GPA membership, will be made at the All-Star banquet on October 24 in Dublin.

2014 ALL STARS NOMINATIONS

Goalkeepers: Darren Gleeson (Tipperary), Eoin Murphy (Kilkenny), Alan Nolan (Dublin).

Full-backs: Cathal Barrett (Tipperary), JJ Delaney (Kilkenny), Séamus Hickey (Limerick), Richie McCarthy (Limerick), Stephen McDonnell (Cork), Paul Murphy (Kilkenny), Paddy Stapleton (Tipperary), Jackie Tyrrell (Kilkenny), Liam Ryan (Wexford).

Half backs: Kieran Bergin (Tipperary), Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny), Mark Ellis (Cork), Brendan Maher (Tipperary), Pádraic Maher (Tipperary), Pádraic Walsh (Kilkenny), Liam Rushe (Dublin), Lorcán McLoughlin (Cork), Wayne McNamara (Limerick).

Midfield: Paul Browne (Limerick), Lee Chin (Wexford), Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny), Shane McGrath (Tipperary), James Ryan (Limerick).

Half-forwards: Noel McGrath (Tipperary), Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny), Declan Hannon (Limerick), Conor Lehane (Cork), Patrick Maher (Tipperary), John O’Dwyer (Tipperary), Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), TJ Reid (Kilkenny), Conor Cooney (Galway).

Full-forwards: Alan Cadogan (Cork), Séamus Callanan (Tipperary), Shane Dowling (Limerick), Patrick Horgan (Cork), Conor McDonald (Wexford), Colin Fennelly (Kilkenny), Richie Power (Kilkenny), Conor McGrath (Clare), Brian Carroll (Offaly).

Player of the Year: Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), Séamus Callanan (Tipperary), TJ Reid (Kilkenny).

Young Player of the Year: Cathal Barrett (Tipperary), Shane Dowling (Limerick), Conor McDonald (Wexford).

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who isn't on the list that could feel hard done by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

As a Dub delighted to see Nolan get a nomination. For someone to have taken a back seat for so long and watch on as Maguire did so well then step in and give excellent performances in Maguire's absence deserves a lot of credit. Would love to see him get it but he won't.

I was surprised to see Rushe on the list, he didn't perform near his best for me this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

AGC wrote: »
    As a Dub delighted to see Nolan get a nomination. For someone to have taken a back seat for so long and watch on as Maguire did so well then step in and give excellent performances in Maguire's absence deserves a lot of credit. Would love to see him get it but he won't.

I was surprised to see Rushe on the list, he didn't perform near his best for me this season.

Yeah but there's not many centre backs that you could say had a consistently good year. They have to nominate someone I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who isn't on the list that could feel hard done by?

I think it's very harsh on James Woodlock... I think his presence made a huge impact for Tipp, and I'd have had him ahead of Lee Chin tbh.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think it's very harsh on James Woodlock... I think his presence made a huge impact for Tipp, and I'd have had him ahead of Lee Chin tbh.

It possibly is harsh. He's had a solid championship. He scored 3 points against Cork and chipped in with a point in each of the matches against Galway, Offaly, Dublin, and the drawn final. He didn't play in the game against Limerick so that's a plus for him in terms of getting a nomination. He has probably been outshone by Shane McGrath, but that shouldn't have any negative effect.

Lee Chin played very well in the two matches against Clare and in the Waterford game. Although, like most of his team mates, he hit a good few wides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You could make far more of a case for Colin Dunford or Liam Og McGovern than Liam Ryan and probably Brian Carroll. Only thing is Ryan is playing corner back so maybe a few other corner backs were poor.

I'd still probably have Shane O Neill in there ahead of him, was asked to do a thankless task against Tipp and to be honest I actually though Cork did pretty alright out of it though the problem was there tactic mean they were overrun at midfield. Had a great game on Dowling for a long time as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Prediction:

Darren Gleeson (Tipperary),
    Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    JJ Delaney (Kilkenny)
    Séamus Hickey (Limerick)
    Kieran Bergin (Tipperary)
    Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny)
    Pádraic Maher (Tipperary)
    Richie Hogan (Kilkenny),
    Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny)
    Patrick Maher (Tipperary)
    John O’Dwyer (Tipperary)
    TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    Séamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    Shane Dowling (Limerick)
    Richie Power (Kilkenny)

7 KK
    6 Tipp
    2 Limk
    0 Cork :eek:

Player of the Year: Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    Young Player of the Year: Shane Dowling (Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Prediction:

Darren Gleeson (Tipperary),
    Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    JJ Delaney (Kilkenny)
    Séamus Hickey (Limerick)
    Kieran Bergin (Tipperary)
    Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny)
    Pádraic Maher (Tipperary)
    Richie Hogan (Kilkenny),
    Conor Fogarty (Kilkenny)
    Patrick Maher (Tipperary)
    John O’Dwyer (Tipperary)
    TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    Séamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    Shane Dowling (Limerick)
    Richie Power (Kilkenny)

7 KK
    6 Tipp
    2 Limk
    0 Cork :eek:

Player of the Year: Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    Young Player of the Year: Shane Dowling (Limerick)

It'll be close between Shane Dowling and Cathal Barrett for young player if the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

I know journalists pick the team but does anyone know which ones?

Well this thread died a death but its on tonight so I said I'd resurrect it So we can all whine and argue over the selections.

The event itself is always a little stilted and awkward to me, loads of empty seats in the venue as well. Can't help thinking it wouldn't be hard to make it a more impressive event.

Jaysus someone tell Michael Lyster to take his hands out of his pockets, he's like an uncle drinking a pint at a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Jaysus someone tell Michael Lyster to take his hands out of his pockets, he's like an uncle drinking a pint at a wedding.
    don't know what i was expecting but the football part was very lame .

Pinesky wrote: »
    don't know what i was expecting but the football part was very lame .

I suppose there was no tension in that because everyone already knew the winners. The hurling has looked better to be fair.

HON THE BORO!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cnoc

Who has been picked 1 - 9 for the hurlers. I've just tuned in!

Advertisement