Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling All-Stars 2014

Options
  • 27-09-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Well, how do you think these'll go?

1. Darren Gleeson- Reckon he's a certainty. It's not been a stellar year for goalkeepers and his puckouts are excellent.

2. Paul Murphy- Reckon the fact that KK won means he'll get one over Cathal Barrett.
    3. Richie McCarthy- Simply was better than JJ over the course of the year.
    4. Seamus Hickey- Certainty.

5. Brendan Maher- Between him & Bergin imo, reckon he had the better year.
    6. Padraic Maher- This one is kinda up for grabs, but he had a great first day out in the final.
    7. Cillian Buckley- Very consistent all year.

8. Richie Hogan- HotY
    9. James Woodlock- Lots of contenders for this one, reckon his comeback into the team turned the year for Tipp and he'll get one for that.

10. Bubbles O'Dwyer- Has to get one for his scorepower.
    11. Bonner Maher- Poor replay, but Tipp's best player.
    12. TJ Reid- Wasn't great today either or against Limerick, but been influential all year.

13. Shane Dowling- His scoretaking this year was incredible, ran up huge scores.
    14. Seamus Callanan- Even better scoretaking.
    15. Richie Power- Brilliant today, very good in the first game... only a sub in the semi-final, but KK will get another and it's between him and Fennelly.

That's 7 Tipp, 5 KK, 3 LK..... I know people will look at that and laugh. But I honestly think they've been the best players in their positions this year. Maybe Tipp are a bit over-represented, but I don't see a KK player to take their place. Maybe they'll only get 1 in the half-backs, but KK dropped 2 of their half-backs before the replayed final.... maybe Mark Ellis for centre-back? The midfield spot is possibly up for grabs, maybe Conor Fogarty will end up getting that although I don't think he was better than James Ryan over the course of the year. Or Woodlock.

I would have thought that Cadogan, Lehane and Kearney were well on course to get one but Cork were so bad against Tipp, and other players then stepped up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You're some boy for starting threads ;)

I would think these will be the likely winners:

1. Darren Gleeson
    2. Seamus Hickey
    3. JJ Delaney
    4. Cathal Barrett
    5. Brendan Maher
    6. Paudie Maher
    7. Cillian Buckley
    8. Richie Hogan
    9. Michael Fennelly
    10. Conor Lehane
    11. Bonnar Maher
    12. TJ Reid
    13. Colin Fennelly
    14. Seamus Callanan
    15. Richie Power

I'd be a bit dubious over Michael Fennelly but that may be required to make up the numbers for Kilkenny. Was going to put Shane McGrath in but it would have been 7 Tipp, 6 Kilkenny then.

Alternatively, the selection committee can be kind and make my bet for Alan Nolan to win the goalkeeper award a winner ;)

Shane Dowling, Paul Murphy unlucky to miss out. To be honest, Bubbles should be in by default, and maybe we'll have situation like 2012 where Tipp won Munster but got no all stars. I would say Lehane was Cork's best player but not better than O'Dwyer.

Just looking at 2012, Galway got more all stars than Kilkenny with 6 to KKs 5. Waterford also got two, despite losing 2/3 games played.

But Kilkenny won the league, leinster and the all ireland so really can't see that happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fireball07 wrote: »

1. Darren Gleeson- Reckon he's a certainty. It's not been a stellar year for goalkeepers and his puckouts are excellent.

2. Paul Murphy- Reckon the fact that KK won means he'll get one over Cathal Barrett.

6. Padraic Maher- This one is kinda up for grabs, but he had a great first day out in the final.

8. Richie Hogan- HotY
    9. James Woodlock- Lots of contenders for this one, reckon his comeback into the team turned the year for Tipp and he'll get one for that.

12. TJ Reid- Wasn't great today either or against Limerick, but been influential all year.

13. Shane Dowling- His scoretaking this year was incredible, ran up huge scores.
    15. Richie Power- Brilliant today, very good in the first game... only a sub in the semi-final, but KK will get another and it's between him and Fennelly.

That's 7 Tipp, 5 KK, 3 LK..... I know people will look at that and laugh. But I honestly think they've been the best players in their positions this year. Maybe Tipp are a bit over-represented, but I don't see a KK player to take their place. Maybe they'll only get 1 in the half-backs, but KK dropped 2 of their half-backs before the replayed final.... maybe Mark Ellis for centre-back? The midfield spot is possibly up for grabs, maybe Conor Fogarty will end up getting that although I don't think he was better than James Ryan over the course of the year. Or Woodlock.

I would have thought that Cadogan, Lehane and Kearney were well on course to get one but Cork were so bad against Tipp, and other players then stepped up.

Murphy surely a cert for goal. JJ has to be full back. League and and AI winner at FB this year. RMC close second IMO.

Omission. Barrett yhoty. Shoe-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hard to see Limerick getting more than 1. Hickey was quality in all his games this year. Delaney will get full back over Richie. Can't see them giving Dowling one. Seeing as Cork beat last years all Ireland champions and Limerick in the Munster final they'll have to get one or two aswell but not sure where. Ellis at centre back is the most likely.

Reckon they'll give a midfield spot to Lee Chin aswell. They'll give the goalie spot to Gleeson after all the raving over his semi final puck outs.

Summary; limerick, Cork and Wexford one each and the remaining 12 split between Tipp and Kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Lee Chin was good in a few games in the qualifiers, but there is no way he deserves one over Paul Browne, Jim-Bob Ryan, Daniel Kearney, Aidan Walsh, James Woodlock, Shane McGrath or Conor Fogarty.

• Advertisement

Lee Chin was good in a few games in the qualifiers, but there is no way he deserves one over Paul Browne, Jim-Bob Ryan, Daniel Kearney, Aidan Walsh, James Woodlock, Shane McGrath or Conor Fogarty.

Don't think Chin will get one but I also think there is absolutely no way Limerick will get more than 1. Hickey is a cert. McCarthy can forget about it. Dowling the other one with a chance, but think Richie Power, Colin Fennelly and Callanan are fairly nailed on after yesterday as are Bonnar and TJ Reid and then it's just a matter of who gets the last one and I think Bubbles should get it but Lehane might skip the queue because he was Cork's best forward over the course of the year. And they did beat Limerick by 6 points lest we forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

I think Fogarthy will partner Hogan in midfield. Tyrell probably deserves one but will miss out due to too many KK players. Murphy and Delaney will be the other full backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

1. Darren Gleeson
    2. Seamus Hickey
    3. JJ Delaney
    4. Cathal Barrett
    5. Brendan Maher
    6. Paudie Maher
    7. Cillian Buckley
    8. Richie Hogan
    9. Michael Fennelly
    10. Conor Lehane
    11. Bonnar Maher
    12. TJ Reid
    13. Colin Fennelly
    14. Seamus Callanan
    15. Richie Power

Definitely not Conor Lehane - debatable whether he'll even get a nomination. Massive potential, but struggling so far to fulfill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

1. Darren Gleeson

2. Richie McCarthy
    3. JJ Delaney
    4. Seamus Hickey

5. Brendan Maher
    6. Padraic Maher
    7. Cillian Buckley

8. Richie Hogan
    9. Lee Chin

10. John "Bubbles" O'Dwyer
    11. Bonner Maher
    12. TJ Reid

13. Shane Dowling
    14. Seamie Callanan
    15. Conor McDonald

YPOTY - Cathal Barrett
    POTY - Richie Hogan

eigrod wrote: »
    Definitely not Conor Lehane - debatable whether he'll even get a nomination. Massive potential, but struggling so far to fulfill it.

0-4 points against us in the replay, 0-2 against Clare, 0-5 against Limerick and should have been man of the match in my opinion he was unreal, and easily Cork's best player v Tipp with 0-4 points from play.

His average was just over 0-3 points a game and if you forgive him the first game where a lot of Cork players were poor, his average for the next four is nearly 0-4 points a game. That is all star form, no question but he'll get a nomination.

I think Bubbles scoring from play is close to unprecedented, so he probably deserves it just a little more and judging from the public reaction he'll probably get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Prop Joe wrote: »
    1. Darren Gleeson

2. Richie McCarthy
    3. JJ Delaney
    4. Seamus Hickey

5. Brendan Maher
    6. Padraic Maher
    7. Cillian Buckley

8. Richie Hogan
    9. Lee Chin

10. John "Bubbles" O'Dwyer
    11. Bonner Maher
    12. TJ Reid

13. Shane Dowling
    14. Seamie Callanan
    15. Conor McDonald

YPOTY - Cathal Barrett
    POTY - Richie Hogan
    Kilkenny won every trophy and competition they entered and yet you think they will only get 4 all stars? 1 Kilkenny forward?

Albeit I doubt if the KK players with their celtic crosses in their back pockets will be too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

This is how I think the all starts will go.

1. Eoin Murphy
    2. Paul Murphy
    3. J.J. Delaney
    4. Seamus Hickey
    5. Brendan Maher
    6. Paudie Maher
    7. Cillian Buckley
    8. Richie Hogan
    9. Shane McGrath
    10. Bubbles O' Dwyer
    11. Bonner Maher
    12. T.J. Reid
    13. Shane Dowling
    14. Seamie Callinan
    15. Colin Fennelly

HOTY Richie Hogan
    YHOTY Cathal Barrett

I would probably have Richie Power in there instead of Dowling and the goalie is tight enough between Gleeson & Murphy. Murphy I expect to get it to give KK the numerical advantage but Gleeson was the best imo. Similar situation with Paul Murphy & Barrett for right corner back but with Kilkenny winning Murphy will get the nod. The midfield spot beside Richie Hogan is the only real spot that a number of lads could get in. Realistically its between Shane McGrath, James Woodlock, Conor Fogarty & James Ryan. I also though Kearney was excellent for Cork up until the semi final but wont get in I feel. I went for Shane McGrath, since the qf against Dublin he has scored 2 or 3 points in every game with some real quality scores. He was a revelation and returned to his 2008-2010 form which I wasn't expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't finalised my team, but absolute bankers for me are:

Full-back line: Paul Murphy

Halfback line: Brendan Maher; Cillian Buckley

Midfield: Richie Hogan

Half-forward line: John O'Dwyer; Patrick Maher; TJ Reid

Full-forward line: Seamus Callinan

8 players picked, 7 left!

I haven't finalised my team, but absolute bankers for me are:

Full-back line: Paul Murphy

Halfback line: Brendan Maher; Cillian Buckley

Midfield: Richie Hogan

Half-forward line: John O'Dwyer; Patrick Maher; TJ Reid

Full-forward line: Seamus Callinan

8 players picked, 7 left!

Wouldn't agree with you entirely there.

I think Murphy will probably get one, but I don't think he's a banker, Barrett will be close. I reckon Hickey is an absolute certainty.

I think Gleeson is a certainty too.

And I'm not sure TJ Reid deserves to be a shoo-in... he most likely is, but I think his performances dipped towards the end of the year.

I think Gleeson is a certainty too..

Dont see why he's such a certainty Based on puckouts? FFS an all star for hitting the ball uncontested. IMO he's nowhere near as good as Murphy and is more prone to error as seen in both drawn and replay when caught in possession (TJ appears to have his number in this regard).

And I'm not sure TJ Reid deserves to be a shoo-in... he most likely is, but I think his performances dipped towards the end of the year.

Outside candidate for HOTY and he's not a shoo-in? TJ has had a stellar year winning league, leinster and AI. Definite all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As much as I like Eoin Murphy as a goalkeeper, I think he's the best KK have had for a long while, I don't think he'll get an all-star. He missed most of the replay against Galway, the Leinster final, and the AI semi-final. I think that will ultimately count against him.

TJ Reid was fantastic in the NHL and in the Leinster championship. I agree with Fireball that he wasn't as impressive as he had been for the AI semi-final and finals. But I think without a shadow of a doubt that he'll get one of the six forward places.

citykat wrote: »
    Dont see why he's such a certainty Based on puckouts? FFS an all star for hitting the ball uncontested. IMO he's nowhere near as good as Murphy and is more prone to error as seen in both drawn and replay when caught in possession (TJ appears to have his number in this regard).

Outside candidate for HOTY and he's not a shoo-in? TJ has had a stellar year winning league, leinster and AI. Definite all star.

I don't think that Gleeson is as good a goalkeeper as Murphy. But I think he had a better Championship, Murphy didn't play in the Leinster final or AISF. And also the coverage Gleeson received for his puckouts + that save from Colin Fennelly will assure him of it.

TJ was good in the Leinster Championship... I don't think the league is generally counted in the All-Stars... was poor against Limerick. Wasn't great in the replay either. And since it's generally weighted towards the end of the Championship, I definitely wouldn't have him as a candidate for HotY. I'd probably have Colin Fennelly ahead of him. Richie Power didn't play enough to be ahead of him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

All stars:

1. Darren Gleeson (Tipperary)
    2. Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    3. JJ Delaney (Kilkenny)
    4. Seamus Hickey (Limerick)
    5. Brendan Maher (Tipperary)
    6. Mark Ellis (Cork)
    7. Cillian Buckley (Kilkenny)
    8. Lee Chin (Wexford)
    9. Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)
    10. TJ Reid (Kilkenny)
    11. Patrick Maher (Tipperary)
    12. John O'Dwyer (Tipperary)
    13. Shane Dowling (Limerick)
    14. Seamus Callanan (Tipperary)
    15. Richie Power (Kilkenny)

Hickey is a cert for corner back. It's a toss up between Barrett and Murphy for the other spot, Murphy will get it by virtue of kk being the eventual winners.

For contrast, a stab at best team in the country with everyone fit:

Gleeson
    Cahill
    McCarthy
    Hickey
    B Maher
    Rushe (I'm struggling to think of an outstanding 6)
    P Maher
    Hogan
    Galvin
    Reid
    Maher
    Callanan
    Conor McGrath
    Canning
    Bubbles

Struggling to fit in Paul Murphy, C Fennelly, McDonald, Chin, Dowling, Hannon, Harnedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Gleeson
    Cahill
    McCarthy
    Hickey
    B Maher
    P Maher
    Hogan
    Galvin
    Reid
    Maher
    Callanan
    Conor McGrath
    Canning
    Bubbles

Struggling to fit in Paul Murphy, C Fennelly, McDonald, Chin, Dowling, Hannon, Harnedy.

Ah here, is the above a joke? I shouldn't let myself be annoyed by someone else's opinion on the internet but the above is extraordinary.

Best team in the country with everyone fit includes 7 Tipperary players and 2 from Kilkenny!! How on earth have Kilkenny only lost 1 of the last 10 games against Tipp? The other half of the Tipp team must be passengers.

Paul Murphy has been clearly the best corner back in the game for the last three years. Even this year he was in no way inferior to Seamus Hickey.

I can't see any justification for picking Padraic Maher above Cillian Buckley. Buckley has been far superior this year. JJ Delaney, Michael Fennelly, Richie Power - none even get a mention!

Important and all as Bonner Maher is to Tipp, I'm still a little doubtful as to whether he would be first choice for Kilkenny. I wouldn't argue that one too strongly as he might well be. He has great heart & drive but he lacks skill. A more clinical forward would have scored the early chance last Saturday instead of trying to walk it into the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Gleeson
    Cahill
    McCarthy
    Hickey
    B Maher
    P Maher
    Hogan
    Galvin
    Reid
    Maher
    Callanan
    Conor McGrath
    Canning
    Bubbles

I'd have any of Richie Power, Seamus Callanan or Patrick Horgan at 14 before Canning.

Canning's been far too inconsistent since he broke into the Galway senior team.

• Advertisement

Had a good laugh at that. Thanks.

Shock horror some people differ with marginal calls on a makey uppy team! Stop the presses, kk poster thinks there should be more kk players on there!

Huge fan of Murphy, hard to leave out, but IMO Cahill has been the best corner back in Ireland in recent years. Hickey was the best defender in Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

Definites should be
    P Murphy, S Hickey, C Buckley, P Maher, R Hogan, J O'Dwyer, C Fennelly, S Callanan
    its a toss up between JJ & Ritchie Mac for F/B
    The rest will be marginal calls midfield especially tricky this is one year where they should stick Ritchie Hogan into C/F and give 2 M/F berths to deserved others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Shock horror some people differ with marginal calls on a makey uppy team! Stop the presses, kk poster thinks there should be more kk players on there!

Huge fan of Murphy, hard to leave out, but IMO Cahill has been the best corner back in Ireland in recent years. Hickey was the best defender in Ireland this year.

It's not a big deal but do you really think it's realistic that Tipp would have 7 players and Kilkenny 2 on such a team? A lot of the Kilkenny/Tipp games have been marginal too but Tipp seldom come out on top. There must be a reason for that, surely enough of a one that Kilkenny would expect to come out on top in marginal selection calls!

Murphy & Cahill have been the best corners backs in the last few years with Murphy just ahead, in my opinion. Murphy has been at least as good as Hickey this year, equally as outstanding in the semi final in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

8. Richie Hogan- HotY

I would go for the same team here only Murphy in goal.

kk poster thinks there should be more kk players on there!

Well they only won the league, leinster and AI this year. What else can they do to match your standards? You have Callinan at CF and Bubbles in the corner. Both played their best hurling in other positions this year. Cahill couldn't get into the Tipp team this year FFS. The Lk fans seem obsessed with RMC. While he's a fine hurler, he wouldn't lace JJ's boots. As for Canning at FF. I take it you didn't witness his performance in Tullamore (2nd day out) this year.

Maybe I picked this up wrong and this is just some kind of fantasy team. If so, dream on.

citykat wrote: »
    Well they only won the league, leinster and AI this year. What else can they do to match your standards? You have Callinan at CF and Bubbles in the corner. Both played their best hurling in other positions this year. Cahill couldn't get into the Tipp team this year FFS. The Lk fans seem obsessed with RMC. While he's a fine hurler, he wouldn't lace JJ's boots. As for Canning at FF. I take it you didn't witness his performance in Tullamore (2nd day out) this year.

Maybe I picked this up wrong and this is just some kind of fantasy team. If so, dream on.

Clearly you are a bit simple. Firstly, yes, yes it is some kind of fantasy team. Clearly. Numpty.

JJ is the best defender of modern times. Richie Mc is currently the best full back in Ireland.

Cahill was injured, that is the reason he was not on the Tipp team. Clearly you know very little about hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

eigrod wrote: »
    I'd have any of Richie Power, Seamus Callanan or Patrick Horgan at 14 before Canning.

Canning's been far too inconsistent since he broke into the Galway senior team.

No, it's the rest around him that have been too inconsistent. The afore-mentioned 3 are fine hurlers (and also not immune from inconsistency remember), but quite simply not in Canning's class. Not saying JC deserves or will get an All-Star this year, but to say he's not in the top 15 in the country is akin to saying that Richie Hogan isn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

MfMan wrote: »
    No, it's the rest around him that have been too inconsistent. The afore-mentioned 3 are fine hurlers (and also not immune from inconsistency remember), but quite simply not in Canning's class. Not saying JC deserves or will get an All-Star this year, but to say he's not in the top 15 in the country is akin to saying that Richie Hogan isn't either.

Still dont think Canning has lived up to his hype. Him getting an All Star this year is completely out of the question. What did he do? Galways only win was against Laois in this years championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

As much as I like Eoin Murphy as a goalkeeper, I think he's the best KK have had for a long while, I don't think he'll get an all-star. He missed most of the replay against Galway, the Leinster final, and the AI semi-final. I think that will ultimately count against him.

TJ Reid was fantastic in the NHL and in the Leinster championship. I agree with Fireball that he wasn't as impressive as he had been for the AI semi-final and finals. But I think without a shadow of a doubt that he'll get one of the six forward places.

Think he will also, on balance. However, the only ball from play he hit in the NHL final was the winner in the last minute, was largely quiet for the rest of the game and drove a few shots wide. Ditto, in the drawn game v Galway, it was nearly an hour before he made any contribution from play. MOTM in the replay. Leinster final 6/10, semi-final v LK, largely marked out of it. Drawn AI final very good and influential, replay sub-par. Very up-and-down would you agree?

Conor Cooney an outside bet anyone?

Advertisement