Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

Does he have anything else in his repertoire bar acting stupid?

Have to say though, Jen is gas. Even if they're not very good at pretending the whole lot if scripted.

Keith interviewing Una Healy from the Saturdays was stomach churning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I genuinely don't think I have heard ONE positive comment on the show, boards or otherwise.

Jnlr figures will be very interesting to read.

Breaking: news - People go on internet to complain about stuff more than they praise things! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Breaking: news - People go on internet to complain about stuff more than they praise things! :eek:

I honestly cannot think of one positive....other than they make tubridy seem like Howard stern

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This show has finally resulted in the removal of 2fm as a preset in my car radio. You think you can't do it. Cos it has a number in its name so it has to go on number 2.

You'll twitch for a few weeks when it's not nestled between radio 1 and 2fm. And then you'll realise you just don't miss it.

This show has finally resulted in the removal of 2fm as a preset in my car radio. You think you can't do it. Cos it has a number in its name so it has to go on number 2.

You'll twitch for a few weeks when it's not nestled between radio 1 and 2fm. And then you'll realise you just don't miss it.
    funny you mention that...but in my newish car i demoted 2fm down the list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

funny you mention that...but in my newish car i demoted 2fm down the list!!

Mines at number 8 cant get any closer to the steering wheel than that.

RTÉ 2fm national weekdays reach is static at 10% b-o-b, to which boss Dan Healy said: “We predicted this book for 2fm and there are no surprises here. In fact, the main surprise is that we’re ahead of forecast, with a market share of 6.6%. This is the baseline from which we build and there are good indicators for growth.”

Any word on how our three amigos are doing in the jnlr's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Any word on how our three amigos are doing in the jnlr's?

According to ilevel.ie .... Year on year Breakfast republic is down 15,000 listeners from 126k to 111k, or -12% ... tubridy down 9% , colm hayes and rick o shea both down 7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

heybaby wrote: »
    According to ilevel.ie .... Year on year Breakfast republic is down 15,000 listeners from 126k to 111k, or -12% ... tubridy down 9% , colm hayes and rick o shea both down 7%

But then it could be argued that the bulk of that 12% is down to Hector. I wouldn't read anything into BR figures until two-three books time tbh. Even after a year it's hard to say what would happen, Ray Foley's only starting to creep up in ratings in these most recent books after two years on 98.

So it is possible that BR has bottomed out, will remain static for a book or three, then begin to rise as the show becomes more polished.

Stranger things have happened! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

wnolan1992 wrote: »

So it is possible that BR has bottomed out, will remain static for a book or three, then begin to rise as the show becomes more polished.

Stranger things have happened! :P

You can't polish a turd as Beavis and Butthead used to say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jeez.. I'm in the minority that finds this quite refreshing... although I do only hear the closing 20 minutes of the show in the car in the morning.

The alternatives on national radio are pretty damn terrible - but think Bernard O Shea and Jen are both witty (not so much Keith).

But most importantly.. from what I do hear in the morning.. I find their music choices can be nicely varied - not just the latest pop hits!

But don't get me wrong, I don't like Republic Of Telly in the slightest bar a witty sketch now and then. For example:

I don't think the show will last, but I prefer it over any other national breakfast radio at the minute.

Basq wrote: »
    Jeez.. I'm in the minority that finds this quite refreshing... although I do only hear the closing 20 minutes of the show in the car in the morning.

The alternatives on national radio are pretty damn terrible - but think Bernard O Shea and Jen are both witty (not so much Keith).

But most importantly.. from what I do hear in the morning.. I find their music choices can be nicely varied - not just the latest pop hits!

But don't get me wrong, I don't like Republic Of Telly in the slightest bar a witty sketch now and then. For example:

I don't think the show will last, but I prefer it over any other national breakfast radio at the minute.
    That's gas as I find Jen, Bernard and the music as entertaining as this horrendus acute ear infection I had once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I gave it a shot very briefly yesterday morning at 7am as I was driving to Belfast. After messing up the sport and weather jingles and an awkward interaction with the weather lady, they played Mr Probz's Waves as the first track after the news. the thing is I'm not sure if they played it off a mix album as there was the distinctive drum track on another track laid over the intro. To top that off, it wasn't even mixed all that well so you had this incredibly annoying out of sync drum beat FROM ANOTHER TRACK overlaid onto the track they intended to play and IT WAS OUT OF SYNC so it just sounded like a stuck cd. It was VERY weird. They then followed that up with another HILARIOUS game of "Keith's Cock" which I see has been renamed to something like "the Cock a Doodle Doo Song". I was out after that.

I gave it a shot very briefly yesterday morning at 7am as I was driving to Belfast. After messing up the sport and weather jingles and an awkward interaction with the weather lady, they played Mr Probz's Waves as the first track after the news. the thing is I'm not sure if they played it off a mix album as there was the distinctive drum track on another track laid over the intro. To top that off, it wasn't even mixed all that well so you had this incredibly annoying out of sync drum beat FROM ANOTHER TRACK overlaid onto the track they intended to play and IT WAS OUT OF SYNC so it just sounded like a stuck cd. It was VERY weird. They then followed that up with another HILARIOUS game of "Keith's Cock" which I see has been renamed to something like "the Cock a Doodle Doo Song". I was out after that.

I lasted till about 20 secs into waves..

rotun wrote: »
    I lasted till about 20 secs into waves..

Did you hear that double/repeated beat thing? I was wondering WTF is going on there?

• Advertisement

Did you hear that double/repeated beat thing? I was wondering WTF is going on there?

Yeah, very distracting while driving.. Alan Swan thinking he's in Ibiza!

Listened in this morning and they had a genuinely (said in a Miriam O'Callaghan accent) very funny 'sketch' where they pretended they were 1980's radio types. If they did the whole show like that it would be the most listened to show on the radio. It was like listening to the fast show.

Please keep it up!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Listened in this morning and they had a genuinely (said in a Miriam O'Callaghan accent) very funny 'sketch' where they pretended they were 1980's radio types. If they did the whole show like that it would be the most listened to show on the radio. It was like listening to the fast show.

Please keep it up!:D

What time was that do you know?

Have to say, I've heard some ads for their show that use sketches and parody sons they do in them and I always find them amusing.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What time was that do you know?

Have to say, I've heard some ads for their show that use sketches and parody sons they do in them and I always find them amusing.

8:40 ish?? Larry Gogan was on directly after so was between 8:30 and 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

There's a competition on for tickets to see The Script at the minute.....if I don't win I'll be pissed cause nobody else is listening right??

Ah balls....there's 2 people listening this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I dunno I actually like the show,its very badly put together in parts but sometimes I'm in knots going down the road.the chat up jen competition was funny I thought and I do laugh when the girl put your record on bit comes on

There's a competition on for tickets to see The Script at the minute....if I don't win I'll be pissed cause nobody else is listening right??

To which? Breakfast Republic or The Script?

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

To which? Breakfast Republic or The Script?

:D:D

Aahhhhh now now ;)

I think there is definite signs of improvement on the show.

Sketches are getting better, Bernard is beginning to tailor his 'humour' to radio.

Jen is still a pain in the arse though I wonder if she is just pretending to be a pain in the arse or actually is a pain in the arse?

Still some embarrassing bits that need to be ironed out but it's getting better.

Still a bit to go though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

They're off on their jollies again this week and Paddy McKenna was on this morning ... Nice change :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They're off on their jollies again this week and Paddy McKenna was on this morning ... Nice change :-)

Jaysus they have more holidays than Teachers and TDs combined!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I reckon that's way too many holidays in such a short period for a new show that's trying to find their audience. I reckon Dan Healey knows he screwed up and is now testing the waters with other options.
    He's doing the same with the god awful drive by show.

I reckon Dan Healey knows he screwed up and is now testing the waters with other options.
    He's doing the same with the god awful drive by show.

One can only hope .... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The girl presenter with the american accent hasn't been on in the evenings in a while also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

The girl presenter with the american accent hasn't been on in the evenings in a while also...

Yeah they had some eejet from kids tv filling in for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's louise mcsharry,she was filling in for tubs recently,i like her show its one I would keep.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's 3 on the show, yet all 3 have taken hols at the same time? Surely it could've been staggered so not all are off at the same time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

byte wrote: »
    There's 3 on the show, yet all 3 have taken hols at the same time? Surely it could've been staggered so not all are off at the same time?

This is RTE your talking about. No one gives a ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some stations seem to prefer the "entire show goes on holidays at once" approach for multi-presenter shows, which has never made sense to me but its the way they work it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

ofcork wrote: »
    That's louise mcsharry,she was filling in for tubs recently,i like her show its one I would keep.

Just saw there she has a form of cancer get well soon.

I believe Jen is "expecting" - which is great news for her and i wish her every congratulations ...... But it also means she'll be on maternity leave for up to a year !!!!!!!!!

It's a good day :-)

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Anyone know why Tubridy was on before 9 this morning? Did something happen with the Breakfast Republic crew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know why Tubridy was on before 9 this morning? Did something happen with the Breakfast Republic crew?
    He mentioned something about how it's a new quiz / game for the school run or something that he's playing before 9am from now on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Maybe they are trying to kill the station off more quickly..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Basq wrote: »
    He mentioned something about how it's a new quiz / game for the school run or something that he's playing before 9am from now on..

Ah right, it was just about ten to nine when I heard it alright but didn't hear the intro. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Don't worry though, from this week there is extra Breakfast Republic on the radio. Keith starts at 6am and does what was previously the early breakfast show. He does play some clips from the previous days Breakfast Republic. Bernard and Jen join him then from 7am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

AAAAARRRGHHHH, no!!! I actually liked the early breakfast show.

what has happened alan mcquillan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

what has happened alan mcquillan?

He has had a behind the scenes job in 2fm for years afaik,

He has had a behind the scenes job in 2fm for years afaik,

yes of course he does. but why was he axed in that slot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

I've been listening the last few mornings and enjoyed it, I think they've calmed down a bit since they started. And I actually like Jen, don't really understand the hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Frog Song wrote: »
    I've been listening the last few mornings and enjoyed it, I think they've calmed down a bit since they started. And I actually like Jen, don't really understand the hate.

I listened for a while at the start but couldn't take the BS any longer. Tuned in again this week and it hasn't changed, the three of them shouting over each other, Bernard and Jen doing the sport is that meant to be funny?
    Even the ads for the show annoy me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Not a regular listener of 2fm but im enjoying the relay of rte pulse work station between 4am and 6am whit alan macquillan. Great to her some none comercial tunes on national fm. I was on today fm at that time but they play the tunes you hear over n over during the day. I must say it wakes you up at silly o clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I am enjoying it a lot more this week, with just Eoin running the show. He has a much better way about him, and I'd say RTE are using this as a trial run. Works 100 times better than the usual mess we have with the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Stevecw wrote: »
    I am enjoying it a lot more this week, with just Eoin running the show. He has a much better way about him, and I'd say RTE are using this as a trial run. Works 100 times better than the usual mess we have with the other 3.

Eoin did a far better job on "driveby" as well. He is a bit "shouty" but ain't as half as annoying as the other three.

• Advertisement
Advertisement