Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Klondike - Ireland's First Western

Options
  • 08-09-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

A new 4 part drama series starts tonight on TG4 called An Klondike. It's the first Western made in Ireland it has been getting some good reviews so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

The first part is on TG4 tonight at 9.30.

The trailer has definitely got shades of Deadwood, which is a good thing in my book!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

A new 4 part drama series starts tonight on TG4 called An Klondike. It's the first Western made in Ireland it has been getting some good reviews so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

The first part is on TG4 tonight at 9.30.

The trailer has definitely got shades of Deadwood, which is a good thing in my book!

Enjoying it! Great production values and enjoyable storyline so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I enjoyed it...a tad cliched, drunken fighting Irish but it was probably true back then..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's pretty decent alright. Some great lines in there... "He hit me with a f***ing chair!"

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It's not like anything else I've seen made in this country - it's seriously ambitious and fair play to TG4 for taking a chance on it.

It's the sort of show that could go very wrong but I was impressed with how well it all works. The storyline is well set up and it kept up the pace all the way through. As ionapaul said the production values are excellent, the period setting is well maintained and some of the scenery was amazing. The acting was good across the board, and it's a big cast - lots of characters were introduced in this episode.

And like all my favourite Westerns it had a great streak of humour running through it. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of watching it, it's the kind of show that deserves to attract an audience. I'll be tuning in for the next few weeks so see if the standard of the opening episode is maintained, it has the potential to be something really special.

First part is up on the Tg4 player for anyone who missed it:
    http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=4470330437001

Just saw that the first part is being repeated tonight on TG4 at 10:15 for anyone who missed and fancied checking it out. Well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Just watched the first episode. It's pretty good alright. I'm trying to think of other Irish TV shows that actually built large sets and didn't just film in regular houses and apartments. Are there any?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Would it not of been cheaper to go to Dawson and film it there, all the buildings from the rush are still there and lots of old mine sites.
    Also the set does not look anything like Dawson and the scenery shots in no way represent the Yukon.

Saw the theatrical version of it at the Galway Film Fleadh and really enjoyed it but felt that it would have benefited hugely from sending a cameraman off to the Yukon or the like to get a few establishing shots. I hope that they got rid of them for the TV broadcast but when I saw it there was a few scenes where you could see modern homes in the background of the wider shots.

Just caught up with the second part of this tonight and am really enjoying it.

There are a lot of storylines being set up but I like that the town and the other characters living there are being brought more into the story.

I was surprised that
    they killed off the young JJ Hopkins character so soon. It's a brave move as I had enjoyed his character. Although the father is shaping up nicely too.

Looking forward to next week's episode.

Darko - how does the version you saw at the Galway Film Fleadh compare to the series? I tried to get a ticket to see it when I was down that weekend but it was booked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is it the Irish characters that only speak Irish?

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is it the Irish characters that only speak Irish?

Yes, the Irish characters speak Irish to each other and English is used by the American and English characters.

There were also some scenes in this week's episode where the Native American characters spoke to one another in their own language - which must be a first for Irish TV!

That finale was fantastic. I really didn't want it to end. I got chills during Siúil A Rún, which is a favourite of mine, but it was used beautifully in the final few minutes.

Hope it gets a second season.

Caught up with the final episode last night. Cracking show, one of the best things I've seen on Irish telly in a long time, wouldn't be out of place on Netflix or the like.

Great story and they left things nicely set up for a second series, anyone know if there is going to be more episodes? There were lots of things left hanging
    - finding the baby, the brothers feud etc.

You can watch the whole series on the player now, perfect binge viewing:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/an-klondike/

Great story and they left things nicely set up for a second series, anyone know if there is going to be more episodes?

Scripts are written, cast, crew etc. are all on board for it, they just need to get the funding from TG4. I'd imagine it'll be renewed - critical claim alone should get it a second season.

Scripts are written, cast, crew etc. are all on board for it, they just need to get the funding from TG4. I'd imagine it'll be renewed - critical claim alone should get it a second season.

Good news, do you know somebody involved in the production? I was looking for more info on the chances of a second season and came across a website TG4 has put together for the series, but no info on series 2.

It does give you a look at some of the work that went into building the sets:
    http://anklondike.com/recreating-the-klondike-in-conamara/

It's an interesting behind the scenes look at what went into making the show, be good if more Irish shows did this kind of stuff.

Good news, do you know somebody involved in the production? I was looking for more info on the chances of a second season and came across a website TG4 has put together for the series, but no info on series 2.

It does give you a look at some of the work that went into building the sets:
    http://anklondike.com/recreating-the-klondike-in-conamara/

It's an interesting behind the scenes look at what went into making the show, be good if more Irish shows did this kind of stuff.

I was talking to Dathaí Keane (creator and showrunner) on Twitter and he let me know that provided they get the funding they're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just discovered this show because of this thread. That's a fine production. Looking forward to watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Just finished the series. It's quite impressive. I imagine a feud between the brothers and Jacob could be really good. Are all the actors Irish? There were a lot of new faces which is quite unusual for this country.

pigtown wrote: »
    Just finished the series. It's quite impressive. I imagine a feud between the brothers and Jacob could be really good. Are all the actors Irish? There were a lot of new faces which is quite unusual for this country.

The cast was excellent I thought, and like you say a lot of new faces there.

Going by the names of some of the cast I would think they were definitely not all Irish.

The guy playing Skookum Jim is called Julian Black Antelope:
    http://anklondike.com/skookum-jim/

So they must have brought some of the actors over from the US for the production.

The guy playing Skookum Jim is called Julian Black Antelope:
    http://anklondike.com/skookum-jim/

So they must have brought some of the actors over from the US for the production.

He's Canadian of Irish decent, and seems to have split his time between Canada/Ireland for years now. He's got an Irish agent and has been involved in several other Irish productions too.

I think all the actors were definitely sourced locally. I recognise the majority of them from other productions.

• Advertisement

He's got an Irish agent and has been involved in several other Irish productions too.

The only other production I can see from his IMDB page that might qualify as Irish is Penny Dreadful, what other Irish shows was he in?
    I think all the actors were definitely sourced locally. I recognise the majority of them from other productions.

The other actors playing Native American parts like Chief Isaac and El Soo don't appear to be Irish either. Glen Gould who played Chief Isaac is definitely not from around these parts. All his credits are American or Canadian shows: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1047913/?ref_=tt_cl_t16

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I was watching this and I got sidetracked before I got to see the last episode.
    Anyone any Idea where I could find it?

It says it's online and available to view worldwide, but it seems to have been removed from the site - http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/an-klondike/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

Saw the theatrical version of it at the Galway Film Fleadh and really enjoyed it ....

I didn't catch this when it was shown last September but I'll watch it tonight (9.40pm - TG4).

It's 2 hours long and only on once so I presume that it is the theatrical version mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

brian_t wrote: »
    I didn't catch this when it was shown last September but I'll watch it tonight (9.40pm - TG4).

It's 2 hours long and only on once so I presume that it is the theatrical version mentioned above.

Series not be better?

I'm still waiting to see the final episode..
    Hopefully it'll have a rerun in the coming months.

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to see the final episode..
    Hopefully it'll have a rerun in the coming months.

I read in the Sunday Times at the weekend that the series has sold to Netflix UK so all the episodes should be available there too.

Must be a first for a TG4 production? It was an excellent series so it's no surprise. Looking forward to catching the film version tonight.

I'll be recording it for sure :)

No plans to go out, but guaranteed I'll sit down to watch it, and great uncle Setanta, whom nobody in my family knew existed, will call into me at 9:38 PM. :rolleyes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/an-klondike-review-improbable-film-of-the-month-in-a-good-way-1.2330657

http://www.tg4.ie/en/schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I read in the Sunday Times at the weekend that the series has sold to Netflix UK so all the episodes should be available there too.

Must be a first for a TG4 production? It was an excellent series so it's no surprise. Looking forward to catching the film version tonight.

Yup, it's on Netflix, retitled as "Dominion Creek". The Irish dialogue portions have been dubbed into English for that release though.

I suppose I could watch the final episode like that, but in general I hate anything dubbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just saw them all stitched together in the form of a film. It was very good for a while but
    the constant ****ing-up of Seamus gets irritating. I don't really know where they can go with a second season with 2 of the main characters dead but it would have to be radically different from the first.

Advertisement