Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Chromecast or not...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    'videostream' is good for broadcasting mkv, mp4 files from your laptop.

very handy for streaming files from your laptop and you can still then use the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, I looked around a bit online and came to the same conclusion about the boxes.

The ROKU looks like you can watch Netflix through your TV without having to use your laptop? Which would appeal to me more than the "casting" devices. Not sure I've got that right though?

The casting is clever. It acts like a remote, not like a HDMI out.

For example my father uses one. He pulls out his iphone, selects the content, selects cast and starts watching. He can then shut his phone down if he likes, the chromecast keeps going.

As such, theres no battery draw and no huge loopback of wifi traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ED E wrote: »

For example my father uses one. He pulls out his iphone, selects the content, selects cast and starts watching. He can then shut his phone down if he likes, the chromecast keeps going.

Ya that's a great plus, I could cast an entire film from my phone through showbox and it would only use about 5% of the battery!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That sounds good. Last question, I promise, just to be 100% clear. ... If I was using a laptop rather than a phone I would have to leave it running when casting?

Assuming the content isnt ON the laptop, no. So if you open netflix, cast, then its independent. If you open a video file on your drive and cast, then its dependent on the laptop.

The one caveat is the casting device IS the remote, so if I turn on "Making a murderer" then walk out with my phone, the aul fella doesnt have control without restarting the cast from his phone.

• Advertisement

Assuming the content isnt ON the laptop, no. So if you open netflix, cast, then its independent. If you open a video file on your drive and cast, then its dependent on the laptop.

No, I'd only be using things like Netflix or All4 from the laptop. I just don't like leaving my laptop running for hours on end so was looking for a way to stream Netflix mainly on the TV that didn't require the laptop being left on. Being able to use the phone sounds handy although it doesn't get as many air miles as my laptop so it would be required on occasion.

Definitely coming around to this Chromecast thing. Thanks for answering all my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Is 39.99 the best deal you can get on a Chromecast? Is there just the 1 Chromecast or is there any different models?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s only one chromecast ,
    its a google product .
    Look on amazon or argos for the best price,
    it works with any device, pc,tablet that has the chrome browser installed.
    http://www.currys.ie/product/google-chromecst/334802/397.3.1
    i suppose you could buy one on adverts.ie ,preowned if you wanna save money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

No, I'd only be using things like Netflix or All4 from the laptop. I just don't like leaving my laptop running for hours on end so was looking for a way to stream Netflix mainly on the TV that didn't require the laptop being left on. Being able to use the phone sounds handy although it doesn't get as many air miles as my laptop so it would be required on occasion.

Definitely coming around to this Chromecast thing. Thanks for answering all my questions.
    Could you just leave your phone plugged into a power source while casting if you're worried about running down the battery?

Hrududu wrote: »
    Could you just leave your phone plugged into a power source while casting if you're worried about running down the battery?

I suppose I could. I'm more worried about my laptop being on too much than my phone. Although if Netflix clamp down on VPN's and the like I probably wouldn't use my laptop for streaming that much anyway. Phone would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think when you start the cast,the video has started to play on your tv,
    you can switch off your laptop or phone,
    if you wish to save on battery life.

from techdirt.com .article today.

Netflix has made a few token gestures over the last year to appease broadcasters, such as fleeting efforts to thwart VPNs and geo-restriction avoidance tools. Those efforts were already in play in the 60 countries Netflix operated in before this recent expansion. But speaking at CES, Netflix exec Neil Hunt basically admitted that there's not really all that much Netflix can do to stop VPN use, unless they want to waste calories on an international game of Whac-A-Mole:
    "We do apply industry standard technologies to limit the use of proxies,” (Netflix chief product officer Neil) Hunt says. “Since the goal of the proxy guys is to hide the source it’s not obvious how to make that work well. It’s likely to always be a cat-and-mouse game. [We] continue to rely on blacklists of VPN exit points maintained by companies that make it their job. Once [VPN providers] are on the blacklist, it’s trivial for them to move to a new IP address and evade."

i dont think netflix have any intention to change their policy re vpn,s .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

If I download a movie to my iPad using an App via unlimited broadband at my brother's place will I use much data while I watch said film via Chromecast? Reason I ask is I am limited to 30G per month with Vodafone mobile wifi at home. Before anyone asks I have tried to get broadband via a landline but it is rediculously bad, so I'm stuck with my 30G for the time being I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 8 theghost85

I'm looking some help here aswell,I've recently moved and had to get a three 3G mobile broadband modem and I can't get my chrome cast to pick up at all now,in my last house I had a Vodafone fixed broadband modem and there was no problem

Any help with be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

theghost85 wrote: »
    I'm looking some help here aswell,I've recently moved and had to get a three 3G mobile broadband modem and I can't get my chrome cast to pick up at all now,in my last house I had a Vodafone fixed broadband modem and there was no problem

Any help with be appreciated

How many devices are connecting to the modem? From memory, I think there is a limit of 11.

You should also post on the Three forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 theghost85

There is only 4 devices on it at present,I'll try the three forum also

CCs are notoriously picky regarding routers, thats their biggest flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Bought a Chromecast recently and it works perfectly fine when plugged directly into the tv. However, I also bought a HDMI switch box and it doesn't work at all when I plug the Chromecast into it. Anyone have this experience?

Advertisement