Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Chromecast or not...

Options
  • 05-11-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have a recent Sony Xperia S and an LG TV which is about five years old (it has all the various sockets on the side, HDMI. USB etc... so I assume it is 'Smart', it's fxed to the wall so I can't see what model it is)
    I'd like to watch my phone content on the TV and I'm advised that all I have to do is buy a Chromecast dongle and plug it into the relevant socket on the LG. Is it that simple? I don't want to buy the Chromecast if it's not definitely going to work.
    I should point out that on the LG menu, I've all the icons except the little 'world' one, does that mean it's not wifi compatible? I tried plugging the phone into the TV (with the proper cable btw!)but couldn't get any results.
    Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks.
    PS: I've wireless wifi in the house.
    PPS: Is my TV likely to have DNLA at circa five years old?
    PPPS: Is it obvious by now that I'm not sure what I'm talking about half the time? LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

For Chromecast (and the majority of HDMI type sticks) the "smarts" of the TV are irrelevant. Their main purpose is to give "smart" features to a "dumb" TV, give a better UI / experience and adds a few additional features.

Nobody on here can say it is definitely going to work, especially without the model of the TV. There have been issues with Chromecast not working with specific TV models and it can also depend on your router. However these cases are few and far between.

Assuming there are no compatibility issues all you need is a TV with a HDMI port and either a USB port or nearby power socket. You will also need to download the Chromecast app to set it up.

FYI, if you have one, plug it into the HDMI-CEC port as it will auto switch to the HDMI channel when you cast something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Should be ok, the Chromecast connects to your wifi & via that to your your phone.

I would just make sure you have a decent wifi signal in the room where the tv is located. I got one recently & then had to get a range extender as the Chromecast kept dropping connection due to weak wifi.

It works perfectly for streaming (Youtube etc) but you'll need 3rd party apps to view local content from your phone.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Thanks both. I'll go ahead and buy one with more confidence now!

I was just about to press the 'Pay Now' button when I noticed a review that said Chromecast will only mirror certain apps.
    The main reason I want to buy it is to watch my Mobdro app.
    Will Chromecast let me do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

It will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I'm not familiar with the app, but a quick scroll through their twitter account seems to indicate chromecast support. You should double check on their site.

You can also cast sites directly from your chrome browser, but in this case the phone or PC needs to stay on.

CinSoots wrote: »
    It will

Excellent! Thanks for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I also recommend this app

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Bosh wrote:
    I would just make sure you have a decent wifi signal in the room where the tv is located. I got one recently & then had to get a range extender as the Chromecast kept dropping connection due to weak wifi.

my wifi isn't great in the sitting room where the tv is at all but would really like to get a Chromecast. ..
    could you tell me what type of range extender you got & how well it works?
    We had one free fromm 3 on the NBS but it was more or less useless. .. it put me off trying another one!
    the wifi here isn't great (hence being on the NBS) but once I'm connected it isn't too bad... I can download TV shows etc but not very quickly & daughter can just about watch stuff on Netflix... though the router is in her room!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Sorry to jump on this thread (no point in starting a new one), but I'm also thinking of buying a chromecast, but was wondering if it will play DivX, MKV etc. files stored locally on my phone.

I had though it would by default (i.e. it would hook in to the video player) but it looks like it doesn't.

I want to be able to bring a few movies on hols (caravan) with me on my phone and plug into our telly if it's a rainy day.

Anybody know if I can ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Will Chromecast cast from the Videos app on an iPad? Have a Philips LCD TV.

Will it cast whatever is on the iPad screen or just from specific apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Will Chromecast cast from the Videos app on an iPad? Have a Philips LCD TV.

Will it cast whatever is on the iPad screen or just from specific apps?

I think it only works from the big 3rd party apps (Netflix, YouTube etc.) Apparently this app adds Chromecast functionality to native Apple stuff
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/castnow-for-chromecast/id815652533?mt=8

Looks like it will only cast videos from apps
    A "video" means a short film clip shot from the iPad and stored in photos with a .mov extension. A true movie downloaded and saved via iTunes in .mp4 format in the Video section of the iPad cannot be cast with this Or Any Other app. Why? Because Chromecast is in competition with Apple TV

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

https://plex.tv/

showboxappdownload.com/

http://www.allcast.io/

With those three apps/programs you'll never need to worry about what video content you can/can't cast (For android anyway. I'm not sure about availability for iPhone).
    Covers everything from using your pc as a media server, casting media from your phone, to casting streaming TV shows and Films direct to your TV.

Music is generally covered by most apps at this stage, except for Apple music.

Chromecast has native support for mirroring your screen.

Plex is personally my favourite as I think it's an excellent media centre, even if you were just watching media on your laptop.

Edit: They are all free aswell! Or at the very least free versions with some ads on the app.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Going to jump in on this thread too, if that's okay. My mum's friend was telling her about getting a chromecast and now she thinks she wants one too but the way she's explaining it to me doesn't sound like anything worth getting.

I get the basics of how it works but is it any different from just connecting your laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable? Does it give you access to anything other than Netflix and YouTube? And I assume it would only be Irish Netflix? Also if you "cast" from a laptop do you have to leave the laptop on while you're watching whatever it is you're watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MY friend got a android box from power city ,75 euro. in 2013
    it comes with wireless ,keyboard,
    wireless mouse, its about 4x3 inch,approx
    with sd card slot, to store app,s ,media,
    comes with various tv channels, android app store ,chrome browser,youtube,
    plugs into hdmi slot .
    you can install new apps, i used it for 2 hours,
    it works great.
    works off a 12v power supply,
    I Put in 16gig sdcard to store apps .

comes with full size pc keyboard ,and full size mouse wireless.powered by 2 aa batterys.
    re android ,i think its called android tv ,something like that .

I did not try the browser ,i just used it to watch tv.
    fta channels .

i did not try rte.ie tvplayer on it .

for watching tv,youtube, video, on a 32inch hd tv , i thought it was great .
    i installed about 5 apps .

Any app thats chrome cast compatible will work,
    or just click button on chrome browser ,cast to tv,
    say i,m on ign.com ,videos,
    ign com shows up on the tv.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-google-chromecast,news-18309.html

While you can theoretically broadcast anything from Chrome onto a Chromecast, certain sites are optimized for it and so include a dedicated broadcast button. Google provides a list of these apps on its website.

if a device has the chrome browser and wifi ,it,ll work.
    eg tablet,phone,laptop.

http://allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-how-to-guide/

Comparison of 5 methods for streaming local media files to Chromecast (the ultimate guide for streaming local media files with Chromecast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Going to jump in on this thread too, if that's okay. My mum's friend was telling her about getting a chromecast and now she thinks she wants one too but the way she's explaining it to me doesn't sound like anything worth getting.

I get the basics of how it works but is it any different from just connecting your laptop to the TV with a HDMI cable? Does it give you access to anything other than Netflix and YouTube? And I assume it would only be Irish Netflix? Also if you "cast" from a laptop do you have to leave the laptop on while you're watching whatever it is you're watching?

IMO it is handier that using a HDMI. You can get the app on your phone. So you can basically control netflix or youtube from your phone on the TV like a remote. I think you stream music on the new one also(Im not sure as I have the old model)

You can screen whatever is on your computer screen to the TV. So you can watch any shows on streaming sites other than Netflix. You can stream RTE player etc on the TV. For non Irish netflix there is VPNs on your laptop etc.

You do have to leave the laptop on. But you dont need to have the tab open on the screen eg you can have netflix screening full screen on the TV and be on netflix on your laptop.

Honestly it is one of the best things I have brought for under €50 in years.

its a good buy,
    but doe,snt every New hd tv have a youtube app,and a netflix app built in .

official chromecast apps,

https://www.google.com/intl/en_ie/chromecast/apps/?utm_source=chromecast.com

or just go to a site in the chrome browser ,click cast button.
    i dont know if you need to set resolution on the laptop to 1080 to match the hd tv resolution.

Yeah, it sounds like whatever my Mum's friend was telling her about wasn't the Chromecast. She says she can get TV channels and loads of films through it, but she bought it in PC World so it's not the Amazon thingy.... could it be the ROKU stick?

Do any of them give you access to content you're not already subscribed to? Or are they all just basically a HDMI cable without the cable?

She seemed to think whatever she had bought allowed you to get rid of Sky or Virgin or whoever and still have a lot of content on your TV?

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=10-17-450158&action=moreinfo

andoid tv box,
    the one my friend got had lots of tv channels on it,bbc,itv, c4
    youtube, browser, netflix,
    put in a sd micro card ,
    click app, entertainment, tv,comedy, drama etc
    install app.
    or install standard android apps, from app store .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mrtom

Is this the same as Chromecast?
    Mirascreen 2.4G Wireless HDMI Wi-Fi Display Dongle AirPlay DLNA Miracast

http://eud.dx.com/product/mirasreen-2-4g-wireless-hdmi-wi-fi-display-dongle-airplay-dlna-miracast-844414384#.VpEmOlIRrzc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, it sounds like whatever my Mum's friend was telling her about wasn't the Chromecast. She says she can get TV channels and loads of films through it, but she bought it in PC World so it's not the Amazon thingy.... could it be the ROKU stick?

Do any of them give you access to content you're not already subscribed to? Or are they all just basically a HDMI cable without the cable?

She seemed to think whatever she had bought allowed you to get rid of Sky or Virgin or whoever and still have a lot of content on your TV?

Thats a "Dodgy box", illegal, usually android based, streamer box.

As you'd expect, thats a no go for boards so I wont go any further.

A Chromecast replaces a Roku really unless you want an old-fashioned remote. Theres no way to get a full cable/terrestrial service OTA right now, but you can use Netflix/Hulu/YT etc.
    mrtom wrote: »

http://eud.dx.com/product/mirasreen-2-4g-wireless-hdmi-wi-fi-display-dongle-airplay-dlna-miracast-844414384#.VpEmOlIRrzc

It won't have chromecast apps, but will work in the same way for casting content. Be aware some of those sticks have really terrible wifi antennas so read reviews first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I love the chromecast, I have 3 of them now. If all they did was save you faffing around with a HDMI cable it would still be worth it IMO but with chromecast you can cast a tab and still use the laptop for something else. Plus you can cast from your phone, can't do that with your basic HDMI cable.

I'm watching the Real Madrid game right now on my tv while typing this, I don't have a sky sports sub. Can't go wrong for 30 quid.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a "Dodgy box", illegal, usually android based, streamer box.

As you'd expect, thats a no go for boards so I wont go any further.

A Chromecast replaces a Roku really unless you want an old-fashioned remote. Theres no way to get a full cable/terrestrial service OTA right now, but you can use Netflix/Hulu/YT etc.

Yeah, I looked around a bit online and came to the same conclusion about the boxes.

The ROKU looks like you can watch Netflix through your TV without having to use your laptop? Which would appeal to me more than the "casting" devices. Not sure I've got that right though?

I think chrome cast is great,
    a sky box with no sub, gives you acess to fta free to air channels,bbc ,c4,itv, etc
    an android box can do the same .
    I think theres a large no of streaming devices, like roku that have neflix app preinstalled .
    eg plug in device, click on netflix icon, watch netflix,
    no laptop or pc needed to use them.
    Some use a power supply , some take power from usb socket on the tv.
    most would have youtube app preinstalled .
    read a review before you buy any device.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i personally think android boxes arent as good as people say they are but are a great addition to subscription based services such as sky etc. i think kodi(main program used on android boxes) is great for pre recorded content but still has a way to go to become a good replacement for paid services but i havent utilised kodi to its fullest abilities. i do think theres better replacement technology out there rather than android boxes but i cant go into it here. we re even pushing the limits of this forum discussing android boxes. do some research folks, some great technology out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Got a chromecast and think it's the biz. YouTube is excellent quality compared to internal YouTube on some 'smart' tv's. I was really surprised how smooth it was with little to no buffering (120Mb line) .
    'videostream' is good for broadcasting mkv, mp4 files from your laptop. I have one permanently in my projector in school for presentations etc as there's no problems with cables etc.
    Ch4 have a phone app too for chromecasting

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Got a chromecast and think it's the biz. YouTube is excellent quality compared to internal YouTube on some 'smart' tv's. I was really surprised how smooth it was with little to no buffering (120Mb line) .
    'videostream' is good for broadcasting mkv, mp4 files from your laptop. I have one permanently in my projector in school for presentations etc as there's no problems with cables etc.
    Ch4 have a phone app too for chromecasting

Is it hard on your phone battery? These auld smart phones are all well and good but the battery life is shocking.

Do you have to provide external power for the chromecast?

mrtom wrote: »

Got one recently and had no problem hooking up an Android tablet to it but couldn't get the iPad worting with it.

The one I got had to be plugged into a power supply via a USB cable to work so bear that in mind. If your tv has a USB port on it then you're sorted.

• Advertisement

I Think it uses, power from a tv usb port,
    or else an external power supply,
    it has to stream upto 1080p signal from wifi so of course it needs power ,

A: Plug one end of the USB power cable into your Chromecast and the other end of the cable into the power supply.Use the USB power cable and power adapter that is included in the box for optimal performance. B: Plug your Chromecast into any open HDMI input on your TV. C: Plug the power supply into an open outlet.
    Plug in Chromecast - Chromecast Help
    https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3212934?hl=en

Advertisement