Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

You've got this KOM thing all backwards Zyzz.

Oh kom on now.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fillup wrote: »
    Hey Wishbone -

i normally climb up to Sally Gap via Yellow House -> Edmonstown Rd (past Merry Plowman) -> Curagh Woods - its a fairly long drag with some steep sh1t on it

do you know how the Kilmashogue Lane climb compares to that?
    No comparison whatsoever. For a medicore climber like me, Edmonston Road is just a drag with no steep parts. Kilmashogue Lane is shorter but at times it feels like being punched in the face over and over again especially at that part passing the farmyard.
    colm18 wrote: »
    There was a brilliant photo taken at the hill climb championships a couple of years back of someone (possibly RAAM) looking in absolute agony as he made his way up that part!
    I'm open to correction but I think that's looks like Mount Leinster and it doesn't look like Raam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You sure its his sufferface? I'd bet he's laughing at this laughable gradient. :pac:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    You sure its his sufferface? I'd bet he's laughing at this laughable gradient. :pac:

;)
    Apologies - he must have changed his hair style since then! :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Apologies - he must have changed his hair style since then! :)

And it's definitely kilmashogue ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No comparison whatsoever. For a medicore climber like me, Edmonston Road is just a drag with no steep parts. Kilmashogue Lane is shorter but at times it feels like being punched in the face over and over again especially at that part passing the farmyard.

+1, main reason I go up Kilmashogue every now and again is to make climbs like Cruagh seem not so bad, and to discourage myself from having so much beer and cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got chased by a dog this morning. The stupid bitch was left off the lead by her owner and chased me up the hill to Stepaside. Got a PB so not bad for another wise terrible morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Nothing much happened riding to work this morning, but I did see a Pagani Zonda on the road!

Nothing much happened riding to work this morning, but I did see a Pagani Zonda on the road!

In Ireland????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Zyzz wrote: »
    In Ireland????

no, Zürich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

The neighbour and I went for a very scenic spin this morning in the East Mayo area.

The pace remained leisurely for the most part however there was a fair bit of climbing which I tried to push myself on.

We cycled 30km at an average speed of 18 km, coming in at an hour and a half. Id like to try this route by myself as I reckon I could cut 10-15 minutes without too much trouble

no, Zürich

That post makes me very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Alek wrote: »
    Wow, this final ramp at Kilmashogue seems to be some mythical altar of the god of suffering, slippery from blood and tears. :eek: ...
    (Not to mention the sweat)
    :pac::pac::pac: Love this image, & the idea of a viscious cycle of misery making the task harder

Went up for the first time recently. Given the mythology, I was pathetically pleased to find myself at the top without having put foot to ground or zig-zagged. Of course the time on Garmin told the ugly truth - even worse than predicted from the Strava KOM adjusted by my standard ndb-handicap multiplier. :o Think I was holding a little back to deal with the unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

This was actually yesterday,I'm still recovering haha its my first proper cycle,every other one was less than 18km

Here it is on strava,http://app.strava.com/activities/173444503
    45km in total,went out west In galway through loads of rural areas,absolutely beautiful scenery,I'm going to take pictures next time. The amount of climbing was unbelievable though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

EmcD123 wrote: »
    This was actually yesterday,I'm still recovering haha its my first proper cycle,every other one was less than 18km

Here it is on strava,http://app.strava.com/activities/173444503
    45km in total,went out west In galway through loads of rural areas,absolutely beautiful scenery,I'm going to take pictures next time. The amount of climbing was unbelievable though

Next time for more hills, take Moycullen Back Hill, http://app.strava.com/segments/1254534
    or

Killagoola, http://app.strava.com/segments/7236797

Next time for more hills, take Moycullen Back Hill, http://app.strava.com/segments/1254534
    or

Killagoola, http://app.strava.com/segments/7236797

Haha I don't need more hills!!! That hill leaving moycullen on the road to spiddal absolutely destroyed me. I had to take a break like 4 times getting up that hill.
    I'm hoping it'll get easier each time as once you get well past moycullen on that road it becomes a beautifully scenic route. I had a strong headwind all the way up that hill aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I'm hoping it'll get easier each time as once you get well past moycullen on that road it becomes a beautifully scenic route. I had a strong headwind all the way up that hill aswell

Tell me all about it - I cycle that road twice a day and it's nearly always a headwind. It'll get easier, just pace yourself :)

Tell me all about it - I cycle that road twice a day. It'll get easier, just pace yourself :)

Ooh twice a day!! Fair play. Ya I started panicking and mashing my pedals. I had no idea what was in store for me/ I literally didn't know there was a hill there and it just kept going.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

102km from Nass -> Blessington -> Sally Gap -> Lough Tay -> Laragh -> Wicklow Gap -> Naas

On MTB - 1,600m @ 17.5kph. Tough slog.

Looks like they are setting up the Vikings village on Lough Tay for shooting the next season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Character building today. some rain out there. Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey had flash flooding 1 m deep. Maybe I should have stayed in bed!

Did 50km in a reasonable time given the conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Fubin rain out there. Was hoping to do a long cycle this morning. But goin to wimp out.

bazermc wrote: »
    Fubin rain out there. Was hoping to do a long cycle this morning. But goin to wimp out.

There is another thread for that

Enniskerry to feather beds and down stocking lane. Cold wet and almost no visibility. Tough cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Sunny down in Kerry while it rains in Dublin. Makes a nice change!

Went up the short mountain in Tralee and then feeling good made the mistake of going down and trying the other side S-N. Tis an evil bugger of a climb, feels like it is over 15% for at least a kilometer. I would have sold my left kidney for a few more teeth in the granny gear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

100km on Friday, Dunshaughlin, airport, baldoyle and up both sides of howth. Really enjoyed the right at the church side, has been over 20 years since I did it, no compact chainrings then :-) felt a lot better today, had a lot of problems with asthma during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Pretty rubbish day over here in the lakes. Going up Kirkstone Pass there was just a river running down the road. Really suffered today. I'm hoping its due to the fact I took last week off and I'm just getting back into it. http://www.strava.com/activities/174327987

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Enjoyed the sunshine on offer down here in Killarney. Rode the Inner Ring 200 audax event. Nice to get away from the Wicklow hills for a change.

Enjoyed the sunshine on offer down here in Killarney. Rode the Inner Ring 200 audax event. Nice to get away from the Wicklow hills for a change.

Killarney is fantastic place to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

godtabh wrote: »
    Killarney is fantastic place to ride.

I'm sure it is. It just broke me today.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Set the alarm for 6.30 to get up to drive down to Kilkenny for the Tour, at 6.15 a torrential deluge beating off the velux window woke me up, I had a look outside and went back to bed.

As penance I did 60km this afternoon in the rain, actually enjoyed it, was wet but not cold, don't know it I would have been as sanguine about 5 or 6 hours out in it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement