Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did you do to prepare today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Actually the duct tape is for my kids, to keep the peace for when I can't stand their arguing anymore lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Been a busy few months here at El rancho hippychippy, covered in reclaimed deck is coming along nicely. Finished my canoe that I'd been building for 8 years. Then re finished my canoe after an accident in said canoe left me being airlifted to hospital with hypothermia (big thank you to our wonderful rescue services). And yesterday, finally got my forge going, turned a piece of rebar into a butter knife. Lots of lessons learned along the way in all three endeavours. The most important lessons being, work you do at home takes 3-4 times as long as work you get paid for. Know the river you're travelling. Increased airflow doesn't mean your steel has to be hotter,and most importantly, my fiance is a saint! Pics to follow if I can

Been a busy few months here at El rancho hippychippy, covered in reclaimed deck is coming along nicely. Finished my canoe that I'd been building for 8 years. Then re finished my canoe after an accident in said canoe left me being airlifted to hospital with hypothermia (big thank you to our wonderful rescue services). And yesterday, finally got my forge going, turned a piece of rebar into a butter knife. Lots of lessons learned along the way in all three endeavours. The most important lessons being, work you do at home takes 3-4 times as long as work you get paid for. Know the river you're travelling. Increased airflow doesn't mean your steel has to be hotter,and most importantly, my fiance is a saint! Pics to follow if I can

Knife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Knife

Nice job,

Few of my friends are farriers.... They are gifted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

@thehippychippy, any chance you can reduce the size of those jpegs :o

With my crappy connection I can rarely get to see anything over a meg in size :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Knife

have you heat treated it? and if so how? just using the forge?

Got yet another decent fleece from a local charity shop. This time by North Face usual €5 price. I guess a couple of bits of pilling rubbed off from another garment (easily picked off by hand) on the collar is a reason for some people to send a decent jacket off to charity. Not an item I'm really short of but a I'll go through my stuff and find which is the lightest one I have and put that in my BOB.

I've always wanted to do some home preserving and our current glut of eggs from our chickens gave me the spur to get on and do pickled eggs.

First thing I learnt after reading up online is that due to some idiots in "Murica" no one recommends keeping pickled eggs anymore. The fact that I am a local legend for eating black 3 year old pickled eggs that a neighbor makes isn't taken into account. Anyway as far as the internet is concerned I'm out on a limb and risking my life if I don't keep my pickled eggs in the fridge and eat them within three weeks. I intend to keep them at least that long before I start on them.

My initial plans were dashed when my wife told me I couldn't use any of here preserving jars which she uses for cold dying of fabric. Probably safer that way as all sorts of stuff some of it unmentionable goes into her natural dyes.

I had therefore to get myself some kilner jars, we didn't have jam jars of suitable size. As usual I over did it and got two 2.5 litre wide mouthed kilner jars. As it turns out 1 liter wide mouthed kilner jars would have been easier.

Next near thing in dashing my plans was a lack of eggs. Having had about 60 the other day I found after freezing a load (just crack them into a plastic bag and can be kept frozen for 6 months) and given them away I only had 21 eggs. This was bad because on placing 21 eggs (uncooked as a test) into a 2.5 litre kilner jar I found they came less than 2/3rds the way up the jar. A necessary raid of the hen house yielded another 9 eggs. 30 uncooked eggs just overfilled the kilner jar but I wasn't confident I had enough but went ahead anyway. While still in testing mode I found that I needed a litre of liquid in the jar to fill the space between the eggs.

Now pickled eggs are easy aren't they. Are they fcuk, maybe easy doing a few at a time but I wasn't satisfied with that and was taking on 30. In hindsight it was a good job we didn't have the 60 eggs I thought we had.

Further plans were dashed when I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to boil up vinegar in the kitchen. We have plenty of big cast iron cookware and getting 30 eggs hard boiled was easy enough and I pulled one of my many stoves out to brew up the vineger in the shed.

I could go on but suffice it to say peeling fresh hard boiled eggs is a pain in the butt and takes a lot longer to do than you'd think, from start to finish including cleaning up the whole exercise took the guts of 2 hours.

I also had problems getting vinegar, found a 2 for one offer in Dealz so used Sarsons malt vinegar and eventually found pickling spices in the local health food shop.

Recipe I used for those who haven't fallen asleep yet. I've no idea how good it is maybe a disaster but posted here for completeness. I'll try and remember to let you know in a couple of weeks time.

Container 2.5l wide mouthed kilner jar (€6.50 in Shaws)
    Eggs 30 - free
    Vinegar 4 bottles Sarsons Malt vinegar Deals €2.98
    Sugar - 2 heaped table spoons
    Salt - 3 heaped tea spoons
    Pickling spices - 25 grams (half a 50 gram €1.39 bag so 70 cents worth used)

Boil eggs for 10 mins then shell - that sounds so easy! In the future I'll allow 10% extra eggs to allow for those that crack in the hot water. With starting from cold I only lost one.

Boil up vinegar, spices, salt and sugar for 10 minutes and allow to cool - that was the easy bit.

Place eggs in sterilised kilner jar cover with spiced vinegar mix and seal.

To sterilise the kilner jar I put it in an oven at 110 degrees C for ages (when everything else is going on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Fair dues with the eggs - if you have the water well salted and use eggs that are a couple of says old you'll find it easier to shell them - will malt vinegar give you a dark colour ?
    And finally have you ever tried buttered eggs ? It's an cork thing ( you can still buy them in the market!!) . I've no idea how long they last but it's a way of preserving raw eggs - that and storing them in water glass ( sodium silicate I think ) sounds dodgy but it's what old timers did -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I don't think that Malt Vinegar is ideal, I suspect it will give the eggs a very acid flavour but I had to start somewhere and with other delays to the "project" I just decided to plow ahead and just see what happens. I am hoping that the eggs will last longer in the stronger vinegar, many of the recipes I found dilute the vinegar 50/50 with water but go on to state things like "keeps for up to 3 weeks in the fridge".

I left it two days before trying my first home pickled egg - exquisite. At this stage the acidity was just right but I can see why using malt vinegar was a bad idea, the eggs looked brown and manky on the outside, still taste was wonderful. I can see no chance of these lasting for more than a couple of weeks, if that. Defo need smaller one litre jars (should take about 12 -14 of our eggs) so I can put some jars away. One big opened jar is just too much temptation.

So as soon as we have another 24 + spare eggs I'll do another batch in smaller jars. At 6- 8 eggs a day, when we might only use 2 eggs a day that doesn't take long before they mount up. I'll be scouring supermarkets for the cheapest and best vinegar.

I like extremes of flavour, so I'll be checking out the price of lemons because I want to try preserved lemons. Will try some recipies from here and the same site is wealth of information for cooking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

25 x 20L cans of agri diesel put away now for the generator and work machines. It all adds up I suppose. How are others preparing for possible fuel supply issues? I'm going to keep working on the agri diesel reserve, with some road diesel and Aspen petrol when funds allow.

We also have about 14m3 of firewood dried and ready to use for heating and cooking with and more to be added as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

You know fuel goes bad eventually right? You can add fuel stabiliser to make them last up to a year but it's not exactly cheap!

You know fuel goes bad eventually right? You can add fuel stabiliser to make them last up to a year but it's not exactly cheap!

Yes, I know the effects of improper storage of diesel. The cans I have are all cleaned and filled to the brim using winter grade diesel, dated with fill date and will be rotated through an old (40 year old) tractor we use around the yard and for running the firewood saw and splitter. I can prefilter them through a dual stage filter if required and everything I have that uses diesel is fitted with a sediment bowl before the primary filter anyway. I keep a diesel biocide and 'dry fuel' additive ready to use if any problems, so I'm all covered on that front.

Petrol machinery is a lot more susceptible to problems with oxidation (meaning cars will run like crap on fuel only a few months old) but Aspen fuels are well known to give a useable shelf life of years (3+) if left sealed in the can, rather than the 12 months or so they guarantee. Rotating as required and keeping some extra as a buffer, there should be no problems. Remember also that older carburetor fueled equipment will never be as picky as a fuel injected car or bike.

25 x 20L cans of agri diesel put away now for the generator and work machines. It all adds up I suppose. How are others preparing for possible fuel supply issues? I'm going to keep working on the agri diesel reserve, with some road diesel and Aspen petrol when funds allow.

We also have about 14m3 of firewood dried and ready to use for heating and cooking with and more to be added as time goes on.

I think having a system of "keeping a stock" of supplies rather than having specific survival supplies goes a long way to preparing.

We don't have anything that needs diesel but I use a lot of petrol during the summer with a lawn tractor. So I keep about 40l (max) of petrol using it in rotation so I have a minimum of 20l all the time. That way the longest it any of it stays in store is 6 months.

I keep a min of 5 liters of Aspen fuel for petrol stoves and lamps I have. I've found keeping them full of Aspen fuel means they are ready for use with no fuel storage issues. I've checked out one lamp I've had the same Aspen fuel in for 7 years and it runs fine. I'm not so sure Aspen fuel would perform as well in a modern fuel injected engine after that length of time but I've no plans to use it for that. The only thing with an engine I'd really want to keep running long term would be my chainsaw. Which reminds me I must order a couple of spare chains and a sprocket for the chainsaw. Also makes me think I should get some Aspen TS for stock.

Firewood is another stock item, I'm burning nearly all off cuts now and have enough for the winter but will continue stocking up for the following winter just in case my supply of timber dries up.

Another thought about this fuel storage lark, it makes some sense to me to set fuel aside for specific uses. For example if BreadnBuddha doesn't have a diesel car then any diesel he keeps is not going to be used for anything other than tractor and generator. As I mentioned the chainsaw is the one item I'd really want to keep running long term so that makes me think that Aspen 2S (Aspen fuel that has oil for 2 strokes already added) is an even better idea because it won't end up in the car which sometimes happens if I run short of petrol in the car and or cash to fill it up :o

my3cents wrote: »
    Another thought about this fuel storage lark, it makes some sense to me to set fuel aside for specific uses. For example if BreadnBuddha doesn't have a diesel car then any diesel he keeps is not going to be used for anything other than tractor and generator. As I mentioned the chainsaw is the one item I'd really want to keep running long term so that makes me think that Aspen 2S (Aspen fuel that has oil for 2 strokes already added) is an even better idea because it won't end up in the car which sometimes happens if I run short of petrol in the car and or cash to fill it up :o

wjat saw do you have? i run a husqvarna at the moment. getting lots of use at home with pallets etc lol

Can't even remember the number of it, a Sthil something only a 14 inch bar but good enough for me, thinking about it now it must be nearly 25 years old. I'd go and see exactly what it is but I did my back in on Sunday and can't move anywhere atm, next stop after this nice and comfortable computer chair is bed.

I'm not too fussy about saw brands provide the saw meets a basic standard, I've used, Danarm (that shows my age), Oliomac (they were crap), Partner, Sachs Dolmar, Solo, Stihl, Husqvarna and Johnsreds. Overall unless I was paying big money I'd stick with Sthil but if I was working again all day with a chainsaw and had the money I'd go with Husqvarna.

For firewood cutting in the barn I've even toyed with the idea of an electric chainsaw, but they are imo more dangerous than the petrol saws because the torque gets applied so quickly.

• Advertisement

I have a diesel car but the only time it'd be run on green diesel would be if road diesel plain couldn't be bought. I try to keep a couple of cans of road diesel in the shed anyway for when its needed but it won't always be sitting there by months end ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Brought home half a van load of pallets today to make a start on this winters firewood. Also fixed the chainsaw which made short work of the job! Productive evening for me

image.jpg1_zpsanjpke2m.jpg

aaakev wrote: »
    Brought home half a van load of pallets today to make a start on this winters firewood. Also fixed the chainsaw which made short work of the job! Productive evening for me

image.jpg1_zpsanjpke2m.jpg

good going , have three sheds full at home.

Ill get more every other day so wont be long adding up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Stocking up on the winter fuel here as well. Turf all done. Heard oil prices have dropped a good bit there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Over the last few weeks ive gone on a bit of a mad organization buzz I've nearly doubled my storage space. Need to pick up some storage drums for washing powder dry dog food and rock salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

GY A1 wrote: »
    Stocking up on the winter fuel here as well. Turf all done. Heard oil prices have dropped a good bit there too

Very sensible steps GYA1,

I too filled a few containers with heating oil, most of which I managed to spill on my jeans as I attempted to refill the tank outside my place in the country. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Got 10 cans of Tesco everyday value new potatoes in water today in the clearance section. Reduced from 59c to 30 c ,so 3 euro for the 10. Best before jan 2018. weight drained 345g. http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263486442

• Advertisement

Following on from my success with pickled eggs (haven't poisoned anyone yet) . I got stuck into my Lidl special offer lemons to preserve them. tbh I don't know what to expect but gave them a go anyway.

I had 8 nets of 3 so 24 lemons and some spare from my wifes shopping just in case.

The basic recipie is to cut up the lemons so they look a bit like a star fish, cut down from one end 4 times from one end but not all the way then opening them up covering in a lot of salt then stuffing them into a jar until full and using lemon juice to fill up the jar so there is no air space.

But what I actually did was to wash 24 lemons then boil them in brine for about a minute then dry them off. Really I wanted to get them clean and any wax off them, might also soften them up a bit.

Filled a bowl with about a kilo of salt (lidl course grade two 500g packs), then cut each lemon up one at a time (but keeping them as a single unit) removed obvious pips and rubbed them all over in the salt and stuffed more salt in the center. Next they went in the jar which has a starter layer about 5mm deep of salt in the bottom. The cut lemon was put peel down and slightly open then the next salted lemon went in same way peel down until I got the top of the jar, pushing the last two lemons in hard created enough juice to cover all the salted fruit without having to add extra juice.

I filled two 1.5 litre kilner jars they took 7 lemons each and then I had enough left over to nearly fill a 2.5l kilner jar which took 13 to fill it up.

Next stage I'm going to leave them for a month and one jar I want to drain the juice probably rinse excess salt if there is any and see what happens if I fill the jar back up with the lemons and olive oil.

I know I used a full kilo of salt but tbh I'm not sure I used enough as it just about vanishes?

359308.jpg

Excluding the cost of the jars the contents of the three with lemons cost a bit less that €5.

Following on from my success with pickled eggs (haven't poisoned anyone yet) . I got stuck into my Lidl special offer lemons to preserve them. tbh I don't know what to expect but gave them a go anyway.

I had 8 nets of 3 so 24 lemons and some spare from my wifes shopping just in case.

The basic recipie is to cut up the lemons so they look a bit like a star fish, cut down from one end 4 times from one end but not all the way then opening them up covering in a lot of salt then stuffing them into a jar until full and using lemon juice to fill up the jar so there is no air space.

But what I actually did was to wash 24 lemons then boil them in brine for about a minute then dry them off. Really I wanted to get them clean and any wax off them, might also soften them up a bit.

Filled a bowl with about a kilo of salt (lidl course grade two 500g packs), then cut each lemon up one at a time (but keeping them as a single unit) removed obvious pips and rubbed them all over in the salt and stuffed more salt in the center. Next they went in the jar which has a starter layer about 5mm deep of salt in the bottom. The cut lemon was put peel down and slightly open then the next salted lemon went in same way peel down until I got the top of the jar, pushing the last two lemons in hard created enough juice to cover all the salted fruit without having to add extra juice.

I filled two 1.5 litre kilner jars they took 7 lemons each and then I had enough left over to nearly fill a 2.5l kilner jar which took 13 to fill it up.

Next stage I'm going to leave them for a month and one jar I want to drain the juice probably rinse excess salt if there is any and see what happens if I fill the jar back up with the lemons and olive oil.

I know I used a full kilo of salt but tbh I'm not sure I used enough as it just about vanishes?

359308.jpg

Excluding the cost of the jars the contents of the three with lemons cost a bit less that €5.

This is fantastic my3cents well done!

My local Euro store was doing a deal on Mason jars last week so I bought a few in various sizes... you really can't beat them. Currently keeping my home made shower scrub in two of them.. recipe to follow!

Do you think come the Apocalypse salt will be difficult to get hold of? I suppose any fool near the coast can just boil seawater into salt but it takes time.

Perhaps WTSHTF this could be a cottage industry for you? Purveyor of salt and fine foods? :)

Making salt could be a good post shtf business, but I'm not sure Ireland is going to be an ideal place to start up. Its just too damp here most of the time and I don't think you could get any return even for home production. Even with normal fuel availability and prices I doubt you can make 500g of salt for the 29 cents a box costs in Lidl. With a bit more sun I can see the possibility of making salt just by evaporating sea water. I have a sort of solar panel idea where you just drip sea water very slowly down sections of black plastic guttering on the days we get some sun.

Now I'm looking for the next thing to preserve? This year I'm just on the look out for those special offers that are so below cost you couldn't hope to grow the stuff for less. Shallots, courgettes, cucumbers, hot peppers, and even peaches are on the radar. Next year I'll definitely grow shallots, baby beetroot and courgettes just for pickling (didn't this year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

To sharpen my knives like a mofo

Another van load of timber for the fire to meet the chainsaw this evening! At this rate i wont need coal this year :eek:

image.jpg1_zpsxd8awnoy.jpg

Another van load of timber for the fire to meet the chainsaw this evening! At this rate i wont need coal this year :eek:

image.jpg1_zpsxd8awnoy.jpg

we have three sheds full of chopped timber now

• Advertisement

we have three sheds full of chopped timber now

i started late and am now playing catch up!:P

are you using a stove or open fire?

i started late and am now playing catch up!:P

are you using a stove or open fire?

Stove in sitting room and a range in kitchen. we also have turf also.
    Timber is great for heat but burns quickly. We "damp" down the fire for the night using turf.

Stove in sitting room and a range in kitchen. we also have turf also.
    Timber is great for heat but burns quickly. We "damp" down the fire for the night using turf.

yeah cant beat the timber for heating the back boiler in a hurry! trying to decide what to get this year, coal or turf. i used a lot of coal last year and its pretty pricy, the timber is free so was thinking of using turf too and just buying a trailer load

yeah cant beat the timber for heating the back boiler in a hurry! trying to decide what to get this year, coal or turf. i used a lot of coal last year and its pretty pricy, the timber is free so was thinking of using turf too and just buying a trailer load

uncle sells turf ;)

After looking at it for weeks when I've been passing I finally bought myself a leatherman Z-REX rescue tool.

32-z-rex.jpg?sw=600&sh=600&sm=fit&sfrm=png

Good deal at €20 including sheath as the shop has been selling off some of its stuff that doesn't sell very well (last one nothing else there of any interest).

Can't decide the best place to keep it. Being quite lite and not very thick I've slipped it under the ticket holder on drivers side sun visor in the car.

• Advertisement

Iv had a knife in the sun visor for as long as I can remember, its a folder with half serrated blade and a window breaking point on the end of the handle. Never had cause to use it thankfully

Iv had a knife in the sun visor for as long as I can remember, its a folder with half serrated blade and a window breaking point on the end of the handle. Never had cause to use it thankfully

I always used to keep a knife there, not one with any glass breaking feature but I stopped carrying it as I didn't want to have any trouble for having an offensive weapon handy.

Edit> I also drive in the UK where I know the police get apoplectic about that sort of thing.

I always used to keep a knife there, not one with any glass breaking feature but I stopped carrying it as I didn't want to have any trouble for having an offensive weapon handy.

Edit> I also drive in the UK where I know the police get apoplectic about that sort of thing.

i carry a knife here all the time at work etc. Never had hassle off the cops but theyd have no reason to hassle me.

I'm just a glass half empty pessimist.

I'm just a glass half empty pessimist.

Where do you be in the uk out of interest??

Rosslare Pembroke, keep getting pulled on the way back by the same customs person. Single male travelling alone always guaranteed a look when there are only a few other cars going on the ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Use that crowd up the North in this BA Thread, read back a few pages and it's all explained.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346

Gave into temptation and ordered a ton of coal, should see me through the winter!

Given that I live with two women, we go through toilet roll at a rate of something like a dozen a day (what do women DO with it all??!!)

As such when a local store offered 50 rolls for a tenner, last night I decided to avail of this - still stacking them under bed as we speak! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

i carry a knife here all the time at work etc. Never had hassle off the cops but theyd have no reason to hassle me.

Why do you need to carry a knife?

• Advertisement
Advertisement