Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alu Clad and Sash Windows

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 theoptimist

Have a look at Accoya, I couldn't afford it! (in fact couldn't afford timber at all in the end, so have to go with PVC)
    I did a lot of research on my timber windows though, (while I still thought I would find the money for them somehow), and I was impressed by this product, basically pickled timber.

Like another poster I am not crazy about the aluclad profiles either, however I am a painter so know exactly how time consuming maintaining exterior painted timber can be!

Accoya claims to have a huge amount more stability than sapele, or iroko (two of the more popular hardwoods for sash windows), and every carpenter/window maker I talked to who had used it for any length of time agreed.
    One of the window makers I went to see had a piece of this stuff sitting in a bucket of water, they said they measured it with a calipers before and after immersion and it had not expanded at all, and it had been sitting in there over a year.
    That was impressive. They are a very reputable company and could do a window in whatever timber you like, so I don't think they had anything to gain by flogging this stuff (except less problems with sticky windows etc)

Without the expansion, you won't get the little hair line cracks in the paint at the joints, which let water in, cause more expansion, paint starts to lift...
    With timber you have to get another coat of paint on it as soon as those cracks appear, otherwise your paintwork deteriorates quite quickly. My hope was that with accoya you would have longer before they appeared, therefore longer between painting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

fatty pang wrote: »
    The prohibition on naming suppliers only seems to apply to windows for some bizarre reason. Unfortunately it leaves consumers at the mercy of the sales rep.

the prohibition is to prevent advertising and also to prevent legal issues with negative comments on companies by an unknown user with no ability to prove either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

kkelliher wrote: »
    the prohibition is to prevent advertising and also to prevent legal issues with negative comments on companies by an unknown user with no ability to prove either way.

Does this policy apply just to windows or all products ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fatty pang wrote: »
    Does this policy apply just to windows or all products ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

Please see section 3 of the forum charter
    Please note The report function is available to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harold40

hi there could anyone point me in the direction or PM me with a good sash window supplier in either Ireland and UK. I'm renovating an old farmhouse and want to put in pvc sliding sash windows.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 23 NH2909

Could anyone pm me a good alucald supplier please in Eire or NI. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Self builder Moycullen

Hi Paddy,

Could you pleAse pm me who you went with?
    thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement