Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Cheated on my Wife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

In the unlikely event that this woman who it is clear from the OP that he has never met before in the whole rest of his life, happens to wander up face to face with him and his wife and kids, or accidently gets hired over the phone to be thier new nanny, or some other American soap opera style coincidence comes into play? Then what will happen is - absolutely nothing. She'll stop for a moment and think "is that that guy from that night?" then she'll go about her day. What do you think will happen? She will approach this woman she doesn't know and say "Sorry for interrupting your family day out, but I'm pretty sure I had sex with this man that appears to be your husband a number of weeks ago. I just thought you should know."

Nope sorry. I understand that people really want to believe in this version of the world where karma or whatever hunts down people that have cheated and exposes them through a series of unlikely events, like happens on Coronation St. But it's the real world. 99%+ of these instances never come out, and are resigned to history and forgotten about forever. It might not seem fair to people, it might make them stress out about the fact that yes, thier partner may have cheated in them before and they will never ever know it, but life isn't fair.

it doesn't matter that he had never met her prior to this, sure she was unrecognisable to him anyway. We pass people everyday on the street, strangers, but it's not until we formally encounter them that we thus recognise them outside of that. I'd disagree with your 99% never getting found out, and even if he doesn't get found out that's not the point, the wife should know the situation.
    And if they're out and about and she spots him, of course she's not going to come up to him and say "hey, remember me? I'm the girl you shagged", and that's not what I was suggesting, but she could come up and say hello, or even give him a passing smile, which could set off alarm bells for his wife and get her questioning. For me, none of those circumstances are outside the bounds of possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

anna080 wrote: »
    it doesn't matter that he had never met her prior to this, sure she was unrecognisable to him anyway. We pass people everyday on the street, strangers, but it's not until we formally encounter them that we thus recognise them outside of that. I'd disagree with your 99% never getting found out, and even if he doesn't get found out that's not the point, the wife should know the situation.
    And if they're out and about and she spots him, of course she's not going to come up to him and say "hey, remember me? I'm the girl you shagged", and that's not what I was suggesting, but she could come up and say hello, or even give him a passing smile, which could set off alarm bells for his wife and get her questioning. For me, none of those circumstances are outside the bounds of possibility.

A girl says hello or gives him a passing smile and the wife cops it? That's not going to happen. It's simply not.

blue note wrote: »
    A girl says hello or gives him a passing smile and the wife cops it? That's not going to happen. It's simply not.

A young girl, much younger than the op. The wife may question it, what then? More lies? Look all I'm saying is if the op is going to keep quiet about this he has to accept the fact that he's going to be a very paranoid and guilty person as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's true but there is always consequence when you do something you shouldn't. I wouldn't worry about the 'other' woman. It's the friends and their gossip that usually causes trouble. But if there is good chance they won't talk then I would stay quiet. Ignorance is a bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

If it was a stag then i guess all the guys there will be going to the wedding with their partners it takes one drunken remark and you're busted.

Anyway has the op updated this post at all since the first post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here,

I've been thinking a lot, about what to do next and why I did what I did. I've no intention of seeing this woman again. Why it happened?- I was blown away by her confidence- she approached me and chatted me up, I was 'drunk' on the excitement. None of the lads are aware that I left with her.

I did a terrible thing and the guilt has not left me, but I know if I fess up my wife won't forgive. I never want to do something like this again. I am a complete and utter fool. My kids mean EVERYTHING to me, don't want them to suffer in any way, ever. I can't sleep at all. I'm not looking for sympathy, just describing how I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Have you thought about how you would feel if the tables were turned and your wife slept with a really hot, confident man and gave him her number?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Ann84

Op, I feel sorry for your wife.
    You don't seem to love her, in your posts, you mention loving your kids, not your wife in your last post.
    The only reason you seem to not want to tell her is because she'll end the marriage and that your relationship with your kids will be damaged - that is not fair to her. She should have that choice as you did! You knew how she felt about cheating and you did it anyway!!!

If you don't love your wife, you should separate anyway, she deserves better than to be a front to facilitate your idea of family life.
    You don't have to tell her you cheated (besides its too late now to come clean, too much time has passed) but I suggest you really think about how much of that guilt is felt for your wife, or kids or is it fear more than guilt.

You will do it again if you don't love your wife, and I really am not sure I believe you do based on your posts. I also can't fathom lying to the person you love most in the world! You shouldn't be sleeping, you've a lot to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

OP here,

I've been thinking a lot, about what to do next and why I did what I did. I've no intention of seeing this woman again. Why it happened?- I was blown away by her confidence- she approached me and chatted me up, I was 'drunk' on the excitement. None of the lads are aware that I left with her.

I did a terrible thing and the guilt has not left me, but I know if I fess up my wife won't forgive. I never want to do something like this again. I am a complete and utter fool. My kids mean EVERYTHING to me, don't want them to suffer in any way, ever. I can't sleep at all. I'm not looking for sympathy, just describing how I am.

You better figure it out.

What happened? You put your ego before your family.

I don't know if you love you wife or not or what is going on.... but you made a choice....

She mightn't forgive you , but that's her choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In fairness OP it's easy to use that excuse for just about anything. But you do seem genuinely remorseful. I hope you sincerely do see that a quick shag isn't worth breaking your family up over. I hope you can move forward and put your energy into being the best husband and father you can be. If you continue to let this eat away at you you're wife will notice something is up. And don't confide in your friends, these things have a habit of getting out.

• Advertisement

All I'm getting is the op is afraid and sorry he may lose his kids, not sorry for betraying his wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

All you can do is say nothing and hope nobody else opens their mouth. That's what it boils down to, isn't it? I'd not be so worried about the young lady you slept with - she'll most likely take the hint because you ignored her text. Hopefully the guys in your group are of the "what happens on the stag stays on the stag" types.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

[quote= Hopefully the guys in your group are of the "what happens on the stag stays on the stag" types.[/quote]
    lovely isn't that just lovely honour amongst thieves and all that........

OP good luck with your life I know that I couldn't live with the guilt. If you happen to be out again and some pretty female approaches you tell them you're gay that should stop the sneaking off to have sex thoughts in its tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AsianIrish

you said you love your wife and have children, please be wise and do not tell her. However, promise yourself you won't do it again and as a gratitude do not ever go out on this particular night ever. It will help believe me. I am against the advice people give OP here to tell your wife. No way!

you will destroy the lives of others if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 j72twr6f4e5ako

My concern is for your wife's sexual health if you don't have an std test after sleeping with this woman. You owe your wife that as a minimum regardless of whether you choose to be honest about what happened or not. I hope you have already or will quickly take this step.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Dog day

I've been following this thread & felt compelled to post for the first time ever here! I truly believe that the OP seems genuinely contrite about what he's done.

OP....you made a bad decision...that's clear, but we're all human & we all make mistakes. For what it's worth I think the best course of action now is to move on from this by being the best husband & father that you can be. Telling your wife will only deeply hurt her & damage the family unit far more than you keeping it to yourself & moving on from this, accepting that you made a mistake & promising yourself that you'll never be in a situation like this again.

From reading your posts I don't think it seems that there are deeper issues here, I do however believe that you were blinded by flattery & lust. Dealing with the guilt is going to be punishing enough.

I think the chances of this coming out are slim but that is a risk you have to take for the sake of trying to keep your family.

Attractive strangers are 'two a penny'! A wonderful partner & kids ain't!

I wish you & your family well and hope that you can move on from this & treasure each day with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

This thread is just incredibly depressing.

The amount of people advising the OP to say nothing and to just suddenly become 'the most loving husband and best father he can be'.

It is just sick.

Imagine if society as a whole were to adopt this approach, then every man and woman in a marriage can go off, sleep with someone else, with the thought 'ah sure I'll just give himself/herself extra hugs tomorrow to make up for my shameful behaviour'. It's bizarre to think this is OK.

Why on earth even bother getting married if this belief is in place?

OP, I really hope you come clean with your wife. It is so unfair to hide this from her. If you choose not to, and somehow manage to live with the guilt, then tbh you mustn't feel any guilt in the first place because living with such guilt would be a horrible way to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Some of the reactions here. you'd swear you cheated on them.

Say nothing and keep saying it. So what, you slept with a woman who wasn't your wife, hardly crime of the century. You didn't kill anyone.

Long tern relationships are hard and it's understandable that temptation creeps in, of course, it's ones place to resist such temptation but we do make mistakes.

Put this behind you and move on with your life. The chances of your wife finding out are very very low. What she doesn't know won't hurt her.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Dog day

Nobody is saying any of this is 'ok' but life also isn't black & white. People are flawed, we all make bad decisions.

It's now about damage control & in my opinion the OP not telling his wife & trying to move on from this for the sake of his family is by far the lesser of two evils. There are children involved, why tear their lives apart over one foolish mistake?

From the OP's posts it's clear that this was a one night stand, a mistake which he now regrets. I truly believe telling his wife & risking tearing his family apart is the wrong course of action. No good can come from such a disclosure.

OP, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Dog day wrote: »
    Nobody is saying any of this is 'ok' but life also isn't black & white. People are flawed, we all make bad decisions.

It's now about damage control & in my opinion the OP not telling his wife & trying to move on from this for the sake of his family is by far the lesser of two evils. There are children involved, why tear their lives apart over one foolish mistake?

From the OP's posts it's clear that this was a one night stand, a mistake which he now regrets. I truly believe telling his wife & risking tearing his family apart is the wrong course of action. No good can come from such a disclosure.

OP, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Yeah but secrets have a way of eating at things....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Nobody can force you to tell your wife and nobody can predict what she'll do if you did tell her.
    But personally, I'd want to know so I can make the choice whether or not to continue the relationship. I don't think someone who cheats should get that choice. That's only what I would want. My husband cheated on me and I had that 'gut feeling'. I walked away from the marriage. I lost all trust and respect for him and the thought of ever being with him again disgusts me. But I'm so much happier now and I know it was the right choice for me. It would have been so much worse had I found out in a few years time.
    Again, this is all based on my feelings and opinion but I do think your wife deserves an ounce of respect from you and you should tell her. Don't make a fool of her as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Op you have heard every argument from both sides now. You posted this 6 days ago. If your gonna tell her... just do it. If not??? Then don't. I doubt you'll get much more clarity. Every possible angle has been looked at here. Good luck with what ever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Heat_Wave wrote:
    OP, I really hope you come clean with your wife. It is so unfair to hide this from her. If you choose not to, and somehow manage to live with the guilt, then tbh you mustn't feel any guilt in the first place because living with such guilt would be a horrible way to live.

What if the wife is the type of person who wouldn't want to know about a once of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Can't believe the amount of people saying say nothing.

Marriage is optional. Don't sign up to it if you want to continue to shag other people. It's a free choice.

It's an absolutely pathetic individual who will prioritise a shagging a stranger over their partner and children.

Lying the first time is the hardest part but once he gets away with it. It's easier do it a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Completely agree with heat wave and sound bite. The op had a choice to get married and a choice to be unfaithful. Yes, people make mistakes but him not telling her is just added to his mistake.
    I honestly feel so sad for people whose partners think that it's not big deal. If you feel like that I don't see why you got married in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Lying the first time is the hardest part but once he gets away with it. It's easier do it a second time.

This.

This is exactly my point. I would put money on it that the OP will do this again down the line. He said himself, he was sober at the time.

I am not attacking you OP, you asked for advice and this is my advice. Fair enough we all make mistakes. It takes courage to acknowledge your mistakes. You fcuked up big time, the only way of making amends for this is to come clean and face the consequences like a real man. If you choose not to, then you really deserve all the worst luck in the world and my heart goes out to your poor wife and children.
    sup_dude wrote: »
    What if the wife is the type of person who wouldn't want to know about a once of?

That is a very strange response to my post.

I don't know any woman that wouldn't want to know that their husband sh*gged another woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Heat_Wave wrote:
    I don't know any woman that wouldn't want to know that their husband sh*gged another woman.

See post 92

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And there is nothing wrong with that. Humans developed great coping mechanisms avoiding to find out things, so we don't need to deal with them. History and our every day life is littered with examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

What's to say you won't be blown away by another equally confident good looking woman? There is plenty of them out there on nights out. The seal is broken so to say, how will you have self control next time?

If you got away with it this time...what's not to say you might try it again OP? Only next time you will know how easy it's been to hide it?

I would question if you actually love your wife as its not the norm to go out and cheat, no matter what the circumstance or how blown away you were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes but what's to say he will be tempted again? I get the impression from the OP that he's genuinely remorseful. I'm not condoning what he did. But if he 'fesses up he stands to lose his marriage and cause upheaval in his kids lives. That's why I'm on the "don't tell" side of the house. Of course there is risk. People talk and none of us can know what the lads on the stag will do or not do. It's a risk.

Advertisement