Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bearing grease

Options
  • 12-09-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

hi guys/girls

what is the best grease to use on trailer wheel bearings of a boat trailer that is frequently reversed into salt water .

thanks

figs

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Most marine shops sell a few brands of marine grease like Quicksliver or Mercury but unless you are using bearing buddies to keep them packed water will get into your hubs so I tend to repack mine after each dip in the salt and a total clean out each year or before any long trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

fergal.b wrote: »
    Most marine shops sell a few brands of marine grease like Quicksliver or Mercury but unless you are using bearing buddies to keep them packed water will get into your hubs so I tend to repack mine after each dip in the salt and a total clean out each year or before any long trip.

is there a sealed bearing you can use ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

figs666 wrote: »
    is there a sealed bearing you can use ?

No not really the bearing buddy keeps the hub topped up with grease so every time there is a void it gets filled up from the pressurised grease in the buddy, most hubs just have a cap thats taped on so not 100% water tight and when a warm hub is put in the water it will suck in the water to any space inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

i use Castrol Pyroplex Blue. It's used by my company on deep water pumps, as it works well when submerged in water, it has never let me down and my recent bearings haven't needed changing in about 3 yrs now and they seem fine still. Can be hard found but I get mine from work luckily.

http://catalog.parentpetroleum.com/item/castrol-greases/castrol-pyroplex-greases-blue/55173

Advertisement