Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would an unused fibreglass boat decay/degenerate?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

I know nothing about boats.
    Clearing a relatives holiday home and have come across a fibreglass sailing boat stored in the cellar. It was bought in the 1970's and only used 3-4 times. Its sat in darkness ever since, maybe 35-40 years.
    Would it be usable/saleable? Opinions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If it was in a dry place it should be fine just have a look at the hull for any signs of cracks, if you can post a photo we might be able to ID the boat or spot any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Thanks, I'll do that. May be a while before I'm near there again for a photo though. A neighbour (of his) said it was a "skipper" though we don't know this for sure.
    And yes, its been kept bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Whoops, wrong forum!

(by quite some distance :D)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

loobylou wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll do that. May be a while before I'm near there again for a photo though. A neighbour (of his) said it was a "skipper" though we don't know this for sure.
    And yes, its been kept bone dry.

No hurry we are here all winter now :) The ropes and sails might not have lasted as well as the boat so give them a good check before you head out on the water.
    There are a few skipper boats but if it was in a cellar maybe a skipper 14.

Skipper14.jpg

it might be that one all right, but blue and white. Think it may have a metal rail around the front too.

• Advertisement

:D

Dsc_2536%20resized.jpg

Some (poor) photos here, any identification welcome.
    055.jpg
    051.jpg
    049.jpg

I'd say it is a skipper alright, from what I can find the MKll had the keel fins. There is a bit of info here http://skipper14.attwood.fi/

Advertisement