Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Okay then, it's my official nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

coconut5 wrote: »
    Okay then, it's my official nomination.
    Read it years ago wonderful read looking forward to visiting it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hey All,

Will we just keep the BookClub to its normal night which is next Tuesday? I didn't get enough feedback to know whether or not enough members were interested in changing it to the Thursday or the Friday (once-off for a small one year anniversary celebration).

So anyway, maybe we should just stick to the Tuesday night?

Is that ok with everyone? I don't want to confuse people so unless there is a majority change-of-mind, next Tuesday it is :) !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Next Tuesday is good :)

These days I wouldn't really be able to "celebrate" anyway, so I'm a bit relieved tbh! This way I can stick to the one euro coffees (although after the three I had last time I wasn't able to sleep and spent the next day essentially hungover anyway)

Also I'd feel like a total numptie bringing homemade cookies to a party type thing, but if it's just the book club I'll bring 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hey All,

Will we just keep the BookClub to its normal night which is next Tuesday? I didn't get enough feedback to know whether or not enough members were interested in changing it to the Thursday or the Friday (once-off for a small one year anniversary celebration).

Is that ok with everyone? I don't want to confuse people so unless there is a majority change-of-mind, next Tuesday it is :) !

Can stick with tuesday plz... have a long day the Friday after.

thx

• Advertisement

Hey All,

Thats fine with me was just waiting to see what the general feeling was any day next wek would have suited. Tuesday it is then unless there is a general change of mind.

Hello,

A few questions for ye;

(1) Does anyone have contact details for Bar No. 8? They don't open until the evening an I can't find an email address or phone number on the net.

(2) What do you think of Xiney's idea to show Animal Farm, the film, for comparison purposes to the book?

(3) Does anyone have Animal Farm (I mean the animated film :))or where can we get it?

(4) Is it inconsiderate of other customers to ask Bar No. 8 to play it on their projector screen at the BookClub meeting?

(5) Is it legal to show films for public viewing purposes? Maybe if it's for a club it migh be considered private?

I think that's it for now :)

I like the idea myself and it would be a nice change. The last time I was in Germany, a pub I visited was showing a film on their projector. It was really cool actually. There was a good crowd into watch it.

Hello,

A few questions for ye;

(1) Does anyone have contact details for Bar No. 8? They don't open until the evening an I can't find an email address or phone number on the net.

Nope - soz

(2) What do you think of Xiney's idea to show Animal Farm, the film, for comparison purposes to the book?

Good idea

(3) Does anyone have Animal Farm (I mean the animated film :))or where can we get it?

Nope, can probably rent it ,or at least buy it on amazon, or *ahem* download it

(4) Is it inconsiderate of other customers to ask Bar No. 8 to play it on their projector screen at the BookClub meeting?

Yes, it's probably very inconsiderate, and I think they would tell you to f*ck right off if you asked to be honest

(5) Is it legal to show films for public viewing purposes? Maybe if it's for a club it migh be considered private?

No it's completely illegal, you would need to show it in someone's private house to make it legal, I'll volunteer to host it if you want to do it

I think that's it for now :)

I like the idea myself and it would be a nice change. The last time I was in Germany, a pub I visited was showing a film on their projector. It was really cool actually. There was a good crowd into watch it.

See above...

I think it's probably a bad idea to show it at Bar No 8. When I initially suggested it, I suggested renting out a room at the Galway Social Space. I've never been there nor do I know if they do that sort of thing, but I think it's probably more appropriate.

Pope Buckfast said he would host it :) (unverified)

He has a fine big tv with surround sound speakers.

• Advertisement

In any case, I have just "acquired" an avi of the cartoon if we want to watch it.

Pope Buckfast said he would host it :) (unverified)

He has a fine big tv with surround sound speakers.

Verified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

How does one join this club? Is there a fee or do people just show up? My girlfriend was only harking on today about how she'd love to join one.

yourmano wrote: »
    How does one join this club? Is there a fee or do people just show up? My girlfriend was only harking on today about how she'd love to join one.

No fees! Just come along to the next meeting which is at 8:30pm in Bar No. 8 on the docks this tuesday coming.

Guess I've put this off long enough - didn't really feel like summarizing the book, and I still don't, but I'd better get it done before the meeting tomorrow :pac:

Two Caravans is Marina Lewycka's second novel, following her well received comedy A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian. It has an ensemble cast of characters, immigrants from Eastern Europe, Africa and China who are employed as strawberry pickers.

They live in cramped conditions in two caravans in the strawberry field, until they are forced to flee from the farm after the farmer's wife discovers her husband's infidelity with one of the worker women, and runs him over.

At the same time, Irina, a naive Ukranian girl and the newest member of the crew, is kidnapped by the Neanderthal-like Vulk and fellow Ukranian Andriy has vowed to save her, despite the fact that she looks down on his coal miner's roots.

Xiney
    6/10
    Bit preachy at the chicken farm/slaughterhouse, but enjoyable. Loved the dog!

TristanPeter
    Only got to pg 100 so far, but it's supposed to get good 1/2 way through so I'll try to finish it. Found it hard to get into so far. Very cliched but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. No rating yet!

Caroline
    8/10
    Very different to Short History or Tractors. All too believeable re treatment of migrant workers. Loved it though!

Breeda Bethm
    2/10
    Could not finish it and don't think I will. Found it difficult to get into and not worthwhile putting in the effort.

Marie coconut5
    didn't get to read it

PopeBuckfastXVI
    Didn't get a chance to read

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey,

I give 2 Caravans 7/10.

I didnt really like it at the start but got into it about half way through.

See you all tonight...:)

Hi Guys,

I won't make the BC tonight, sorry!

Have fun, see you in a couple of weeks,
    pbxvi

I won't be able to make it either unfortunately. I have an assginment due for college and I only managed to finish part one of the book. I really like it though so far. Anyone interested in postponing tonight's meeting for a week :) ?

I've finished the book but there's no hope for the cookies I'm afraid (missed the bit looking over the recipe where they have to chill and now there isn't enough time)

so we could postpone it. Makes no difference to me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pinkshoes

I'm nowhere near finished the book so another week would be welcome. But I'll go with the majority.

• Advertisement

Postponing would be good

I won't be able to make it either unfortunately. I have an assginment due for college and I only managed to finish part one of the book. I really like it though so far. Anyone interested in postponing tonight's meeting for a week :) ?
    I

Happy to go with the flow have not finished the book yet. But just wondering if everyone will know about the change maybe its a bit late in the day to change?

perhaps at the next meeting we should give our mobile #s to make sure we get all the news? (online texts are free)

Xiney wrote: »
    perhaps at the next meeting we should give our mobile #s to make sure we get all the news? (online texts are free)

good idea but what about tonight. I know that one of the new members is not a member of boards so she may not check. Could I suggest that the meeting goes ahead tonight and that we could meet up next week also for those who cannot make tonight,

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Why dont we go ahead with tonight anyway so as not to leave people sitting in the pub on their own? Probably (judging from the other posts) most people meeting tonight wont have finished it anyway so we can have another meeting about it next week. (Does this make sense? its been a long day)

If you blow on the cookies they will cool faster :)

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Why dont we go ahead with tonight anyway so as not to leave people sitting in the pub on their own? Probably (judging from the other posts) most people meeting tonight wont have finished it anyway so we can have another meeting about it next week. (Does this make sense? its been a long day)

Ok think thats the best solution will go tonight see you later

Ms. Ka wrote: »

Great idea! It's nice to meet up regardless of the books. I'd love to go tonight and if there was any way possible that I could attend...I would :)

Xiney, that would be cool if you can get phone numbers. Online texts sounds good and you are right, at least whoever's not on Boards can be contacted.

By the way, if anyone wants to print the attendance template and bring it along this evening
    BookClub Attendance Template.doc
    , it's attached here. Please edit as required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Optimus Whine

Howdy.
    I'm the Gus, I appeared a few weeks back when you were discussing Slaughterhouse Five. My attendance since then has been non-existent but what can you do? Wont be making it tonight either, prior commitments.
    Don't know if I have to recommend a book for a future meeting but if I do I'd suggest A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi folks!
    Had a very hectic weekend so doesn't look like I'll make it tonight. Haven't finished the book either so would be glad of a chance to meet again next week.

Advertisement