Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Atlantic Way by boat?

Options
  • 14-09-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Once upon a time, I had a boss who used to take his family sailing, from Kent to Kinsale ever summer. At the time, it wasn't my thing, but the idea obviously lodged somewhere in my sub-conscious because now I've got to his time of life and have started thinking about it!

There was a story the other day about Waterford being/not being part of the WAW, which got me wondering about doing a trip from there to, say, Sligo by boat instead of by road. I'm having trouble figuring out whether this would count as an epic voyage or a pleasant cruise - are the sea/weather/navigation challenges on the Atlantic coast significantly different to the Celtic Sea? How many days/weeks should one allow for such a trip (obviously not calling in to every single cove along the way :rolleyes: ) and does anyone know if there are conveniently located, ocean-facing facilities already on the WAW for this purpose?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

How big is your boat & is it sail or motor? How long of a window could you give over to such a trip (and the return leg)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

These are the answers I'm looking for. This would be a project for 2016 (or after), so at the moment I'm trying to identify the major requirements/constraints. I'd have to charter/borrow a boat (big enough for six adults) and considering the previous experience we've all had, motor rather than sail would probably be more practical. At least some of us can find whatever time is needed, but that might mean finding extra services, like a broadband or reliable 4G connection en route.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A motorboat to accommodate six adults in relative comfort would be in excess of 40 feet (realistically 50+). Unless you have seriously deep wallets and are willing to spend a considerable sum (€10K+ per week), then it might be cheaper to either take sailing lessons or get a skippered yacht.

try http://baltimoreyachtcharters.com/ or http://www.sovereignsailing.com/yacht-charter-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Would be cheaper and more craic if you used a rib and camped on land. Sure otherwise you'd be only there listening to some big bumbling daysull engine for days while someone chauffeurs you along and you'd miss all the sights

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:D One of the proposed party spends most of his day on a tractor. I think he'd go mental if he didn't have a daysull engine thrumming in his head.

@Tabnabs. Thanks for those links. I see on the first one that they're suggesting allowing a week to get from Kinsale around to Dingle. That seems to indicate that Waterford to Sligo would need about six or eight weeks - does that sound right?

I learnt to drive HGVs for fun, so I'd be up for a course in proper sailing, but will need to get a bit closer to the sea first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

:D One of the proposed party spends most of his day on a tractor. I think he'd go mental if he didn't have a daysull engine thrumming in his head.

@Tabnabs. Thanks for those links. I see on the first one that they're suggesting allowing a week to get from Kinsale around to Dingle. That seems to indicate that Waterford to Sligo would need about six or eight weeks - does that sound right?

I learnt to drive HGVs for fun, so I'd be up for a course in proper sailing, but will need to get a bit closer to the sea first.

You could get a daysull rib, don't know if they are any good as I've never used one. It would still be more craic than a posh people's cruise in some big massive yoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Depends on how frequently you want to pull in and go visit land, and on whether you're happy to carry on through the night. In terms of going straight from Kinsale to Dingle, allow a day. Plenty of nice places to stop off on the way. Clonakilty, Glandore, Schull, Gorgeous little cove just before Mizen Head, Castletownshend are all nice places to stop off, either overnight or for lunch or a swim or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I would allow the eight weeks you suggest - it would be a shame to pass by all the wonderful places en route. The SW is possible one the best places for cruising (the Irish Cruising Club was founded in Glengarriffe) and it would be a pity to pass by at speed. A bit like doing the Camino on a motorbike! You should consider splitting the crew, i.e. one goes from A - B, then the other takes over and does B - C and a skeleton crew does a non-stop back to A with the boat.

Sailing down the Kenmare Estuary in June, only one other pleasure boat sharing about 400sq.miles with me -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

....... Gorgeous little cove just before Mizen Head, ......
    Crookhaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

One of the best trips ever, IF you get the weather...

• Advertisement
Advertisement