Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukulele lessons/chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eamonn60

Yes Wednesday

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

eamonn60 wrote: »
    Yes Wednesday

So is it ok to just turn up with a uke or would I need to bring something else. My sewing class is on midterm.

if you have a couple of tunes you could make a few copies of to share around that would be cool, otherwise just bring your uke

the room costs €30 which we divide between whoever turns up, it was €6 each last time but hopefully will have more on Wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm gutted, I mightn't be able to make it, again!!

• Advertisement

the weeks roll by, this Wednesday again, Arus, top floor, Dominick st, 8.30 see you there

We had a great night last night despite low turnout, am going to try and change venue to Mervue as it is cheaper and access and parking are good, will let you know when i have firmed things up a bit more, any comments please let me know please, regards, Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

How much/where is the Mervue location eamonn? What is the max people should expect to pay do you think, a fiver?

When I attended something in Dublin before, we just told the manager that it may take a few weeks to build, and agreed on a small amount per person, 2 quid or so, with a view to that building as people came and give business. Dunno if that would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wolfgang

Dunno if you guys have seen this but this is the most beautiful Uke playing ever ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

New venue is the sonas drop in centre in Walter Macken place, mervue opposite mervue church and credit union.We will have to make a contribution but it will be a lot cheaper than the €30 in árus, cost to be divided by number of people there, because it is not a pub we will not be spending money in bar etc so cant really promise business that way, but we will have a chat next time to try and regularize the cost.

• Advertisement

Cool. And a friend just mentioned a place on the West of the City that would be free. I will ask there for a plan B :)

You're legend Eamonn, thanks for all the work you've put into this... and your encouragment. I've been back strumming on my uke since;)

I've tried to find your 'recommended site' scorpex but ended up on a wine site. Could you post a link??

And yes wolfgang.... Jake Shimabukuro is amazing

http://www.scorpex.net/Uke/

the site is run by richard Gibson and he also is a wine merchant and uses a part of his website for the ukulele stuff so if you just add uke to scorpex you should find it, have added the link above though anyway so lots of songs to keep you busy, talk soon

Just a reminder,new venue opposite Mervue church, in Walter Macken place, ground floor on left of car park,time 8.30:) Sonas Day Centre, see you there, eamonn

all welcome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

You are not alone.
    Theres this lot
    This lot
    and
    this lot

happy strumming:D

Hi just a reminder for next Wed April 6 th at 8 30 in Sonas day Center, Walter Macken Place, Opposite Credit Union in Mervue. Everyone welcome, bring a uke :)

Tomorrow 8 30 Sonas, Walter macken Place , Ground floor opposite Mervue Credit Union, see uke:) there:D

I am so sorry to miss another one. Work stuff, can't be helped, and I had just told one of youse that I was looking forward to it. Oh well, someday :)
    have fun lads!

Hi I think were on again this Wednesday, we might move across the road from Sonas to the community centre but have to confirm but will be in one or the other will let you know, it would be great if anyone coming would let me know as it helps with organizing stuff, hope your all well and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday 8 30:):)

Hi Mervue Gaa Hall tomorrow night Wednesday, looks like a bungalow 2 doors down from Mervue Credit union 8 30 see you there or be square:cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks Eamonn for makeing a terrific website for the Galway Ukelele Group. We're still small but we hope to grow. Thank you to Mervue GAA for giving us a really affordable venue (and we're not disturbing anybody:o). Most of us are driving from out of town (Cliften, Ardrahan and Athenry), it's not cheap on petrol so the affordable venue helps. If you want to carpool do keep posting on this thread or the website And don't be intimidated by ability, all of us have been trying to teach ourselves through the internet and we're no maestro's, we just want to play and have the craic with others!!

Finally, Inisboffin, we'll get you to one yet, you are in a position to carpool actually because you're living on the road of one of the 'commuters'. (I know where you live!! hehe;))

Hi all hope you had a great Easter, looking forward to see you all tomorrow night in Mervue in the Gaa Hall opposite Walter Macken place at 8 30pm
    http://www.galwayukulele.yolasite.com/directions.php
    here is a link to website and map :) once again everyone welcome all levels

Next Wednesday 18th in GAA Hall Mervue at 8 30 hope to see as many as possible there, here is link for directions,
    http://www.galwayukulele.yolasite.com/directions.php
    galway ukulele
    www.galwayukulele.yolasite.com

:):):):):):):eek::):):):):):):)

from Wikipedia:
    A true group exhibits some degree of social cohesion and is more than a simple collection or aggregate of individuals, such as people waiting at a bus stop, or people waiting in a line. Characteristics shared by members of a group may include interests, values, representations, ethnic or social background, and kinship ties. Paul Hare regards the defining characteristic of a group as social interaction.[1] The members of the groups contact each other which Ackeema Johnson calls a "regular interaction." This group also should have, a common identity, rules, structure, etc.
    Wednesday night there was two people, myself and Martin, I paid for a baby sitter and we shared the cost of the hall, lots of other nights there has been me and one other person so I am going to back down from organizing any more sessions, if anyone else would like to take over i will be more than happy,will organize a key for the very reasonably priced and central hall and support in any way I can best regards, Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GCSD

There's a brand new ukulele group that meets in The Blue Note once a week. www.facebook.com/GalwayUkuleleGroup Try that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

When did that start up?
    And when do they meet? I'm not on Facebook so it may be that this vital piece of info is hidden from me...

Ficheall wrote: »
    When did that start up?
    And when do they meet? I'm not on Facebook so it may be that this vital piece of info is hidden from me...
    It's just started up so we're letting it gather steam for a couple of weeks. It'll be a Mon or Tues at 7pm in The Blue Note in a few weeks. I can post again here for any non-facebookers when the first meeting is and links to the tunes etc if you like. Spread the word amongst your uker friends :-)

GCSD wrote: »
    It's just started up so we're letting it gather steam for a couple of weeks. It'll be a Mon or Tues at 7pm in The Blue Note in a few weeks. I can post again here for any non-facebookers when the first meeting is and links to the tunes etc if you like. Spread the word amongst your uker friends :-)

Is it for people of all levels or just seasoned strummers?

• Advertisement

Its for all levels. We will post songs online each wk, beginners and more advanced. We can have a crack at playing them together. Anyone who wants to play solo can have a chance. We can help beginners. Swap tips, favourite artists and have a go of each others ukes. Sounds like fun, eh?

Advertisement