Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The O&O 2014 World Cup Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Or just have a Bratwurst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Yum Yum, Bratwurst und a certain Nun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congrats Red Hare.

Brens I think you might be more relieved than dissappointed:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Right that's Red Hare through to the Semi's, hard look Brensbenz, but I did pick that one for you, so blame me.

To be followed I hope by my Columbia.

Unless Muffler's Brazil, can turn on the style.

Quick pizza, and maybe a beer, back at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Red Hare wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the match. Got a nice bottle of Marlborough chillin'
    for a five o clock kick off! Hope Brens is doing ok.

Viva la Germany!

BrensBenz is doing fine - thanks very much for your support. Met a great bunch of people at the chemo-saloon today, professional but human, if you know what I mean.

Now, that football match: I know the pundits will go on for hours about why Frawse got whupped but I know the REAL reason - it wasn't the REAL Frawse team!

Well, just look! Some of them were wearing.......dayglo boots......that didn't co-ordinate with their football costumes. Some of them (and I know you won't believe this but check the repeats) were wearing ODD dayglo boots, i.e. orange dayglo AND green dayglo on the same player! Not wanting to get these designer, fashion-statement boots dirty, they wouldn't (like) run around much or kick the ball thing, especially later in the game, when it was all dirty an' stuff.
    AND, some of those hair-dos, well Claude, I ask you! What were they thinking?

Meanwhile, the Deutscher team came dressed for business.

The team that showed up may be interviewed by the Frawse Fashion Police but I wonder if the real team were taken prisoner by some humanitarian group or, maybe, since they spend so much time together, all of their menstrual cycles aligned and the coach excused them from PE. Hmmmm! We may never know......or care.

Enjoy your Marlborough and, if you need any help supporting Germany, let me know.

"Deutschland Deutschland uber Frenchie Frogs,
    Dumpy dum dum...dum dumpy dum...."

• Advertisement

Your'e a howl Brensbenz ! :D

Tense last 10 minutes.

Rubbish match, terrible team, but Brazil are through.

Horrific.

Congrats Muffler.

Hard luck (again;)) Martinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Did someone mention Brazil? :)

Woot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

muffler wrote: »
    Did someone mention Brazil? :)

Woot!

They're all nuts you know.

Malbec is breathing, juicy steak waiting to go on the BBQ at half time

And

A goal up already

(Fingers crossed for the Argies):D:D

Malbec, juicy steak, and a place in the Semi's where else would you find it.

Just heard that some top Brazilian player had a vertebra broken in a nasty tackle. I know from experience that that could sting a bit and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, is it over yet? I mean like it must be like nearly over by now like.
    • The ladies grunting is finished at Wimbledon;
    • The Taw duh Frawse started in Yawwwwkshih - it's downhill all the way to Frawse so that won't take long;
    • There was motorbike road-racing in Skerries today - lots of red flags but, as far as I know, no injuries;
    • Dublin Bay Mermaid Week (deh whoh Joe? Look it up in Google) is in Rush next month. Now, there's a spectator sport!
    So, lets try to get this fuhbullin' finished ASAP and maybe OarTE will show some of the sailing. Couldn't they just toss coins for it and let all the fuhbullers go home to watch the Mermaids?

Oh Gawwwd! Just remembered the Gehhhh Awww Loyurland Foynil will infest us soon. Those hilarious flags on car windows; the static electricity and puke-inducing Gehhh gansies; the "shur it'll be a tough metch yih knaw bush Oi tink we ken do ish" and the evergreen "tiz a shockin' pihhy dah deh losht aftur awl deh wurk deh puh hin trehnin' like."

martinn123 wrote: »
    Malbec, juicy steak, and a place in the Semi's where else would you find it.

Only here :)

Commiserations Rubes.

Now down to the cellar to make sure I have a few more bottles of Argentinas finest left. I think my imbibing is helping the team:D

Oh Gaawwd Brensbenz, I don't think you'd last long in my house. Mr Hare and I so far have watched;
    Clare V Wexford
    Argentina V Belgium
    Tipp V Galway
    and now we are going to watch ;
    Holland V Costa Rica
    :eek:

C'mon the Netherlands!

Yep, come on da Dutch!! OI! OI! OI! I'm sittin' here dressed from head to toe in a delicate shade of orange (well, that's a bare faced lie for a start!) and I'm wearing my clogs, and when we win, I'll do a clog dance for yiz. Gerrup there Netherlands!!!

OK, just to confuse matters, I always wondered why Holland, is correct, or is it The Netherlands

http://www.cgpgrey.com/blog/the-difference-between-holland-the-netherlands

Go Figure.

Ok, so we started slow - himself said cagey, but I thought we were either faffing about or just trying to conserve energy. By golly it hotted up didn't it, some great football, lots of opportunities, but that bluddy ball is really a boomerang in disguise. What a goalie Costa Rica have, he's brilliant, and he is making things a bit difficult for us Dutch so I am going to have a talk with the lads in the dressing room now (:):)) as we have to up our game. I do believe the Costa Ricans want to cripple our Robben, or is it our Rubecula? Hey Rube, are you playing for us?

According to ' Dunphy'

The Dutch need to get on their Bikes.

• Advertisement

Ah sure what would he know?

Is anyone rooting for Costa Rica then? Why am I hooting for the Netheregions then? :D I'm sure we will win you know. C'mon the Netheregions!!

He probably wanted to say they needed a spliff.

Well, if anyone can get one of those they can.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Is anyone rooting for Costa Rica then? Why am I hooting for the Netheregions then? :D I'm sure we will win you know. C'mon the Netheregions!!

I think Mr Hare, took on that duty, but I can't confirm.:D

We shouldn't split hares should we?

Mr Hare is a bit non committal ( hope I spelled that right) but wishes for a goal or two to liven things up! :cool:

OK, just to confuse matters, I always wondered why Holland, is correct, or is it The Netherlands

http://www.cgpgrey.com/blog/the-difference-between-holland-the-netherlands

Go Figure.

I listened to something about this recently. Apparently, UK and Ireland are the only countries that call it Holland, everybody else call it the Netherlands or the equivalent in their own languages. There are a lot of second and third generation Dutch in NCD but I'm not aware of them being annoyed by "Holland" but I'm starting to use "Netherlands" becaushe they're another grand bunch of ladsh, proud of their heritage.

A bit like everywhere calls us Ireland except the UK man in the street who refers to us as Southern Ireland or Suthehn Awlund.

By the way, "everywhere" excludes the USA who just make up words and relentlessly impose them on the planet through constant repetition by Hollywood or Silicon Valley.

PS: Is it over yet?

Oh its over now all right. What a game! I'm totally shattered. I don't want to go through that again........whaaaat? I have to go through that again? Argentina! Oh Noooooo! I'm off to put my lads to bed and make them some cocoa! I'm so worn out now.

• Advertisement

Congrats JB - The dutch really showed us all how to do a penalty shootout! Can't wait for the next match with Argentina.

We have a few days to rest up now and get my lads match fit, they did us proud. I told yiz that Dunphy knows nothin', he said his money is on Holland....and as we all know now thanks to martinn, there is no such country! :D

Well done Jellybaby. See you at the next match.

Thankfully I don't have a team to mind like you (according to the Rooster anyway). Apparently I just have Messi, ah well I'll just leave him to his own devices and see what happens.

Mr Hare and I so far have watched;
    Clare V Wexford
    Argentina V Belgium
    Tipp V Galway
    and now we are going to watch ;
    Holland V Costa Rica
    :eek:

But but but but....why????

We have several dozen TV zappers here - if you leave two together for a while, they breed. I could send you a boxfull - one of them is bound to work your telly.

And on top of that, Clare, Wexford, Tipperary and Galway aren't even playing in the World Cup. Why would you watch them at a time like this?

Well Mr Hare is from Wexford so we had to watch them play Clare and I am from Tipp so we had to watch them beat Galway! Sky Sports had the Tipp match but we were able to watch it on the laptop ( now there's dedication!).

Now we both live in Dublin so we have to tune in today to see the Dubs beat Kilkenny :P

• Advertisement

Well Mr Hare is from Wexford so we had to watch them play Clare

I am from Tipp so we had to watch them beat Galway!

Now we both live in Dublin so we have to tune in today to see the Dubs beat Kilkenny :P

No, sorry, I'm a bit slow but I still don't get it. Could you explain it slowly for me?

"From" as in your respective mothers happened to be in those counties at the conclusions of their pregnancies?

"Had to watch"? No, don't get that bit a tall a tall!

My son gets all happy if a soccer team from the north of England wins anything!!! He's never even been there and no player on the team is from the area. Most of the players are not even British!!! Can't get that!

Have you relatives or friends playing on any of these county teams? Could I claim credit if, say, Lehtrum won d'Awww Loyurland Foynul because "I've been there"?
    If Lehtrum get bet in deh Foynul, could I expect fierce slagging and accusations of defectiveness from family, friends and colleagues because "you've been there"?

Anyway, is it over yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now Brens you are just being contrary - did you not see the little sticky out tongue at the end? As for whether its over yet, well....er, is it over yet?

:-)

Is it over yet ?
    - well the semi finals are on Tuesday and Wednesday and the final is on next Sunday 13th! Yeez will both just have to watch the final! :P

OK, in response to the various cries of '' is it over yet '', mainly from BrensBrenz, the following is a brief description of where we are.

FIFA, invited 32 Countries to Brazil, to have a kickaround at football.

They were arranged into 8 groups of 4, who played each other, the best 2, got to stay on the others were told to feck off home.

So now we had 16,

So 8 games, producing 4 winners, ( 4 feck off home ).

That's where we are now.
    So later this week, on the 8th, Brazil will play Germany,
    and
    on the 9th,
    Holland, ( who don't exist ) will play Argentina.

The Two Winners, will then play a match called the Final, on 13th.

However Paddy Power, demand a match to decide who came 3rd and 4th, so the losers of the above matches on the 8th and 9th, get to play another match on the 12th.

Got It,

For those of you, who have taken to watch, Dublin, Wexford, Clare and Tipperary, please note this is a Completely Different Competition, of which I know nothing, so you are following at your own discretion and not covered by the Terms and Conditions of this Thread.

So now we had 16,

So 8 games, producing 4 winners, ( 4 feck off home ).
    Now now, don't be trying to muddy the waters....or else get the old calculator out :D

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Now now, don't be trying to muddy the waters....or else get the old calculator out :D

As you know, there is a deliberate error, in each of my explanatory posts, the real trick is to find them all.

As you know, there is a deliberate error, in each of my explanatory posts, the real trick is to find them all.
    FYP :p

looksee wrote: »
    Now Brens you are just being contrary:-)

Fair dues, looksee! You know me so well! But the description I have become most accustomed to is "fequin' cranky oul b@$t@rd". Feel free!
    OK, in response to the various cries of '' is it over yet '', mainly from BrensBenz, the following is a brief description of where we are.

The Two Winners, will then play a match called the Final, on 13th.

Many thanks for the progress report, Martin, but, once again, Fate (God bless it) has dealt me a perfect hand for 13th:
    My only begotten children are organising a top secret barbie for their grumpy Daddy next Sunday, for the significant birthday previously mentioned. As my grandson will attend, there will be no fuhbullin' or related chatter. Conversational topics will concentrate on just how a "fequin' cranky oul b@$t@rd" like me can possibly be in any way related to the pleasantest, happiest, smiliest, giggliest little chap on Earth. And, once engaged in the exploration of this quandary, the attendees will lose all interest in any fuhbullin' match in the pursuit of a explanation.

However, sometime before sunset, I will resolve the issue, to everyone's agreement and satisfaction with "he gets it from his Grannie!"

So, first Semi Final tonight, second one tomorrow,

Everyone ready?.

Guten Abend Herren und Damen!

I hope you are all looking forward to tonights fussball - I certainly am. Brasil V Germany has all the makings of a real classic. Of course I hope Germany win but equally I hope its a good match.

Viva la Deutschland!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Oh dear.... Who is supporting Brazil?

Good grief Red Hare what sort of pep talk did you give your team?????

You obviously put a little something in their breakfast this morning:D

Ramette wrote: »
    Oh dear.... Who is supporting Brazil?

E'm let me think...............................Yes it's Muffler.

You can come out from behind the sofa now Muffler, there's a little break for you;)

While things are looking on the up for Germany I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil gets back into it in the second half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement