Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Customers warned of possible disruption to Cork services from Monday 15 May

Options
  • 13-05-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=84
    Customers warned of possible disruption to Cork services from Monday due to unofficial action by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann has warned customers on Cork-Dublin and Cork-Tralee routes of possible disruption to services from Monday due to threatened unofficial action by Cork-based train drivers.

Iarnród Éireann had proposed bringing the first of the new €117 million order of Intercity trains into service for in-service trials on the Cork-Dublin route from this coming Monday 15th May.

Drivers had submitted a claim in September 2005 for additional pay and reduced working hours on the basis of a number of issues, namely:

- to agree to operate the new fleet of Intercity trains

- new safety standard provisions covering driver standard monitoring

- new training processes for new drivers, specifically the inclusion of ‘leader driver’ provisions, whereby existing drivers would continue to coach new trainees, but in a more structured manner

This claim was processed through the state’s industrial relations machinery, from October 2005 to January 2006. On 19th January 2006, the Labour Court in Labour Court recommendation 18456 supported the company’s position that payment for the operation of new technology including new fleet had been included in the New Deal for Locomotive Drivers implemented in 2000, and that there were no grounds for additional payment to drivers for driving the new trains.

The Labour Court did recommend that the company and trade unions commence discussions on the remaining separate issues utilising outside expertise. This process was initiated through an agreed working party, with an independent facilitator to adjudicate on these issues, and has now reached an advanced stage with the facilitator reporting last Monday.

As a result, on Wednesday, the company wrote to drivers union representatives in SIPTU and NBRU stating that Iarnród Éireann was positively disposed to dealing with drivers aspirations in the areas of driver monitoring provisions and ‘leader driver’ roles.

The company accepted there was measurable value to the changes being proposed, and that subject to simultaneously addressing productivity issues, proposed that an agreed, defined and speedy timescale should be put in place to fully address all issues, to address company and driver aspirations, while staying within the provisions of the Sustaining Progress national partnership agreement.

Regrettably, at this late stage, and despite the fact that further meetings will take place on these issues on Tuesday and Thursday of next week, drivers based in Cork have indicated that they will now refuse to cooperate with the introduction into service of the new fleet from this Monday.

In so doing, Cork-based drivers are attempting to use a matter that the Labour Court has definitively ruled on in January, and use service improvements to customers, as leverage to secure concessions on completely separate issues.

This is all the more unacceptable given the company’s commitment to progress these issues substantively.

Iarnród Éireann has called on Cork-based drivers and our trade unions to ensure that our customers, who are eagerly awaiting improvement to services from the new fleet, are not held to ransom in this manner.

Should drivers engage in this unofficial action, the company is alerting customers that there is potential for disruption to services from Monday 15th May on Cork-Dublin and Cork-Tralee services.

Customers should consult this website for further information as it becomes available.

Iarnród Éireann apologises to customers for the uncertainty caused.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Platform 11 has been aware of serious industrial relations problems regarding these new trains. We issued a press release(viewable on the web site) a few weeks ago in relation to the "train guard" problem which has delayed the introduction of this new stock to service.
    IE denied any union problems in the media's resultant follow up. They have attempted to cover up the obvious human resources problem within the company, in relation to these new trains. Earlier this week I took a call from the Cork Independent, who claimed that one of the new trains, stabled in Cork could not be moved because of union unrest.
    Today we can see for ourselves, that union problems are continuing to prevent the full introduction of the new trains. Platform 11 expects IE to be truthful and honest to their customers. However this is a clear cut example of how dishonest they have been with customers and the media.

Platform 11, in the interest of rail customers, has been vindicated, by this latest news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

On the upside the new train set will go into service like it or not on Monday

It will operate the
    9:00 Dublin Cork
    13:30 Cork Dublin

Both rostered for the same Dublin driver and train staff

The strike in Cork has nothing to do with the new trains as the issues under discussion apply to all trains and all drivers. Seems to be serious problem in Cork a significantly higher than anywhere elsewhere level of trouble making and disruption. You risk your job for illegal industrial action, they know they can't win a strike ballot they are like children who can't get there way

The guards issue which was to be fair a legitimate issue was closed a few weeks back, pity it took several months

Its gone nuts

Everything out of Cork is cancelled, all Dublin based services on Cork mainline cancelled inclunding 7am ex Dublin, 7:30 ex Newbridge and 7:41 ex Port Laois

No details on IE site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

everything in and out of heuston is cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Friggin' fantastic. Gettin home this evening will be some laugh. The very least the feckers could have done was to strike first thing this morning, getting me a day off work instead of being stranded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

2 cork drivers refused to operate the new trains so IE told them they wouldn't be paid until they do so, so other drivers walked out in support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

To correct the post made by Marko above, the 9am service ex-Heuston IS driven by a Cork driver - it is driven by the driver off the 0530 Cork-Heuston.

Hence the relevance of Cork drivers refusing to operate the trains.

We are now in the situation where there are no winners and one loser - as usual - the customer. Let's hope this is resolved asap as this is in nobody's interest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I could have forseen a strike about this when I first saw the new trains :eek:

It's baffling how CIE didn't and thought they could magically appear this morning.

In the interest of the customers, CIE should have backed down and got a Mk2, Mk3 or Commuter DMU to do the service. A train service (as opposed to none at all) is more important than a PR-stunt new train.

Summary of Events?

IE: Here's some nice shiny new trains to replace the old yokes.
    Drivers: Grand, we want more money to drive them.
    IE: No, lets go to the Labour Court.
    Labour Court: Driving trains is a train driver's job, no extra money.
    Drivers: Still not driving it.
    IE: Drive the train or don't get paid.
    Drivers: Strike.

Is that about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Now how'm I gonna get to the football?! :(

:) Not as serious as the problems it'll give some people, so I can understand how angry anyone this is causing serious trouble to could get!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

Unofficial action causes major disruption to trains
    ireland.com, 15.05.2006

Unofficial industrial action by Irish Rail train drivers based in Cork and Dublin's Heuston Station has led to disruption of services around the country.

All services out of Cork's Kent station have been suspended, and there is only a limited inter-city service from Heuston, although there are no trains running to Cork. All Kildare suburban services have been suspended until further notice.

A number of drivers took the action this morning in protest at the introduction of a new fleet of intercity trains.

The 5.30am train from Cork to Heuston Station in Dublin was cancelled, as was the 5.45am service to Cobh, the 5.55am service to Tralee and the 7am service to Dublin. The 5.50am service to Tralee operated to Mallow only.

Services between Heuston and Portlaoise, Newbridge, Cork, Galway and Limerick have also been cancelled.

Drivers submitted a claim last September 2005 for increased pay and reduced working hours in return for driving the new trains because of a new safety regime and new training processes for new drivers.

The claim was rejected by the Labour Court in January who said the new working arrangements were allowed for in previous agreements.

Iarnród Éireann was due to begin trials today on €117 million worth of new trains aimed at improving the service on the Cork to Dublin route.

In a statement issued this morning Iarnród Éireann said: "Drivers are attempting to use a matter that the Labour Court has definitively ruled on in January, and use service improvements to customers, as leverage to secure concessions on completely separate issues. This is all the more unacceptable given the company's commitment to progress these issues substantively.

"The resolution of this dispute is in the hands of the drivers, who are currently taking this unofficial action and Iarnród Éireann has called on them to return to work and ensure that our customers are not further inconvenienced."

Rail users group Platform 11 criticised Iarnród Éireann for not addressing the industrial relations issuess sooner.

"Once again rail customers have been left in limbo and Platform 11 are most disappointed that knowing these problems existed

All services out of Cork's Kent station have been suspended, and there is only a limited inter-city service from Heuston, although there are no trains running to Cork. All Kildare suburban services have been suspended until further notice.

A number of drivers took the action this morning in protest at the introduction of a new fleet of intercity trains.

The 5.30am train from Cork to Heuston Station in Dublin was cancelled, as was the 5.45am service to Cobh, the 5.55am service to Tralee and the 7am service to Dublin. The 5.50am service to Tralee operated to Mallow only.

Services between Heuston and Portlaoise, Newbridge, Cork, Galway and Limerick have also been cancelled.

Drivers submitted a claim last September 2005 for increased pay and reduced working hours in return for driving the new trains because of a new safety regime and new training processes for new drivers.

The claim was rejected by the Labour Court in January who said the new working arrangements were allowed for in previous agreements.

Iarnród Éireann was due to begin trials today on €117 million worth of new trains aimed at improving the service on the Cork to Dublin route.

In a statement issued this morning Iarnród Éireann said: "Drivers are attempting to use a matter that the Labour Court has definitively ruled on in January, and use service improvements to customers, as leverage to secure concessions on completely separate issues. This is all the more unacceptable given the company's commitment to progress these issues substantively.

"The resolution of this dispute is in the hands of the drivers, who are currently taking this unofficial action and Iarnród Éireann has called on them to return to work and ensure that our customers are not further inconvenienced."

Rail users group Platform 11 criticised Iarnród Éireann for not addressing the industrial relations issuess sooner.

"Once again rail customers have been left in limbo and Platform 11 are most disappointed that knowing these problems existed Iarnród Éireann failed to keep the public informed and insisted of putting a train into service in the full knowledge that industrial relations problem exists," the group said in a statement.

Progressive Democrats Transport Spokesman Senator Tom Morrissey called on the drivers to return to the industrial relations process.

"An immediate solution must be found to the dispute which has resulted in the cancellation of trains without warning. Such an unofficial strike cannot be justified," he said.

"They must bear in mind that their action presents a serious inconvenience to commuters and, if it is allowed to escalate, will have a serious knock-on impact on the wider economy."

Further information is available from the Iarnród Éireann Information Line 1850-366222 or on the company's website.

© The Irish Times/ireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Unofficial action causes major disruption to trains
    ireland.com, 15.05.2006

To add to the misery, the 8.17 coolmine - bray broke down in Broombridge this morning - they had to send something out from connolly to tow us in. So the maynooth line was totally messed up as well and probably will be for a few hours.

Monday mornings, gotta love them......

Several trains did operate this morning, three trains arrived between 8:30 and 8:50 and where all full to the gills

No new trains where to be seen in Heuston,

8:24 Westport, 9:10 Galway and 9:30 Waterford operated on time. The 11am ish services to Galway and Waterford are also running

As I understand matters this dispute is using the new trains as a wedge to force change in the introduction of new safety standards brought on by the Rail Safety Act recently passed into law.

Several staff where standing around unable to work as drivers had not shown up

I still think the 9:00 Dublin Cork is a Dublin crew as there isn't enough time for a break for the driver of the 5:30 ex Cork which gets in normally after 8:30am, it no matter anyway now

Limerick, Inchicore and Cork are almost fully out, Connolly and Fairview are calm

End of the day the details are not important the fact you won't be able to get home is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

At least you have a train to break down...:rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

**sigh**

Damn I'm glad to be moving to Germany soon. I guarantee they wouldnt stop the trains running over there for something so petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

I would REALLY love to see the CIE Branch Davidians on here explain THIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yet more union lunacy in the semi states.
    If this were a private company half of them would be sacked out of their 'cushy' jobs years ago!
    Disgraceful behaviour.You'd imagine they would prefer to work in nice new trains rather than the 1960s style ones??But no. As usual this unions defy reasonable thinking or logic and make their travelling public suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Bah, really needed to get into Dublin today from Limerick.
    Doh should have gotten the 6.45 as all offical reports had it departed (arrived for the 7.50)... ah could be worse i guess as the way things are going i would have been stranded up there....
    Nothing so critical that i couldn't reschedule but definetly an inconvenience:cool:

Okay i'm annoyed to say the least but maybe someone could give me a bit of perspective as to enlighten me on the strike?
    Striking because your given new trains to drive??? Though the work remains the same doesn't it? I know they may have other grievances, but the reason publicly at large is just the new trains.... which really wouldn't inspire much support...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

SeanW wrote:
    I would REALLY love to see the CIE Branch Davidians on here explain THIS.

I wondering the same thing!

Has anybody heard the sound of knuckles scraping along the ground yet?

Don't suppose there's any resolution of this on the horizon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

The staff are clearly overworked and just can't take anymore. Maybe it's time we had a special day out for all underprivileged union staff. A special 'fun train' could be organised to take them off to a special place where they could be richly and appropriately rewarded for their years of loyalty and service to the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

AFAIK, it's an unofficial strike, no need for union bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

So you are saying if the "people" striking got fired the union would be fine and realise it was their best interest or would there be an all out strike?

Will the head of SIPTU and NBRU then offically condemn todays actions?

Will they tell there members to return to work particularly in Dublin to ensure everyone gets home? There where several rush hour arrivals this morning, if you live in Portloaise there is no train home tonight but there was one in this morning

Labour court ruled, union didn't like it and is now using a unrelated issue to cause an incredible level of suffering on the travelling public, its not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Don't suppose there's any resolution of this on the horizon?

Not if the latest news i just got is accurate.
    Supposedly tomorrow a mediator will arrive to hopefully allow the two parties to work out their difference.

Going to put my Dublin trip on hold indefinetly:( .
    The staff are clearly overworked and just can't take anymore. Maybe it's time we had a special day out for all underprivileged union staff. A special 'fun train' could be organised to take them off to a special place where they could be richly and appropriately rewarded for their years of loyalty and service to the Irish people.
    A one way trip perhaps?:D
    Seriously though they're not going about it the right way. By striking over the new trains they're alienating the public to say the least who would view the action in the worst as against the public interests (modernising the service never hurts), and in the best as greed. As far as i can tell the public more or less supports Ianrod Eireann against the unions, especially since the labour court ruled in favour of Ianrod Eireann.

Coming from a private sector employee more likely or not if any job conditions would force me to strike, i'd probably just pack up and leave gracefully. Keep my peace with as many people as possible.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Below is the Irish Examiner's coverage of Platform 11s original press release last month. You will note that IE deny that any form of industrial unrest was delaying the introduction of these trains. Today they admitted that it did and that they were aware of the situation brewing in Cork. The travelling public right across the network should have been warned of possible cancellations and to check before they attempted to travel.

As for the union members involved...don't get me started.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 :

FRONT | IRELAND | SPORT | WORLD | BUSINESS

Iarnród Éireann rejects staff row claims

By Eoin English
    IARNRÓD ÉIREANN last night rejected claims that staff rows have delayed the introduction of a €117m fleet of carriages on the Cork-Dublin route. Platform 11, the rail passengers’ organisation, claimed the company’s plans to replace the role of train guards with the position of “train manager” on the 67 inter-city carriages has stalled the introduction of the carriages by almost six months.

They were delivered last July to be introduced into service by last December. But Platform 11 claimed that train guards are refusing to accept new work practices.

The bulk of the carriages, which have been undergoing testing since their delivery, are lying idle in Inchicore.

Platform 11 spokesman Derek Wheeler said: “Although coaches normally need to undergo testing before entering service, Platform 11 is aware of no safety issues which prevent their introduction.

“They are badly needed to ease overcrowding as well to finally removing the unreliable steam-heated 40-year-old carriages that are still being used on some services.”

Cork Fine Gael TD Bernard Allen said he was aware of a number of human resources difficulties delaying the introduction of the carriages.

He called on the company to resolve the situation.

“I was on the 3pm Dublin to Cork train last Wednesday. It was like the New Delhi express. It was grossly overcrowded, and in my view unsafe,” he said.

But Iarnród Eireann’s Barry Kenny rejected the claims. He said the first of the new carriages will be introduced next month.

“We are working through the union issues,” he said.

The carriages are going through the final phases of testing and commissioning and that process is also progressing well, he said.

“They were due to come into service this spring but the one difficulty we had was during the first train test when the train hit a cow.

“That knocked us out for a couple of months. But the first carriages will be rolling next month.”

The carriages will introduced incrementally and will deliver a total of 16,000 seats on the route. The journey time will be about two hours and 35 minutes.

But Platform 11 called for their immediate introduction.

Iarnród Éireann need to find an urgent solution so passengers can benefit from the first new inter-city carriages since 1984, Mr Wheeler said.

“Unions have a long history of resistance to improvements in service, from longer DART carriages to extension of services to Greystones and new trains on the Maynooth line.

“Equally as these carriages have been on order for years we do not see why Iarnród Éireann has not dealt with this issue at an earlier stage.”

I'll let readers make up their own minds on the trustworthiness of the rail operator.

The dole office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

I was thinking of Mosnia.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The 'steam heating' comment is nonsense - aren't the Cravens finished now for good?

I'm amazed why the carriages are in store at all, once the first set was known to perform they should have been introduced.

The train manager position is unnecessary. Even with the newer equipment can they still not do guard + inspector?

• Advertisement

Tell that to the people who bought an "offical" train ticket were expecting an "official" train this morning.

I think we should also remind ourselves that the Luas ran as normal today and that the argument for the privatisation of CIE took a huge step forward in the last 18 hours.

Still no sign of the usual Al CIE-da types on this thread...

Advertisement