Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google App Inventor- Now anyone can make an Android App

Options
  • 12-07-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

Have to say I'm quite excited to try this. Even people like me with no programming skills will be able to play around with developing their ideas for apps. I can see it being a great introduction for people wanting to develop apps or for kids learning about it in school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

On the downside it's probably going to lead to tens of thousands of utterly rubbish apps, which will make browsing the market more frustrating

I guess it's a way for Android to catch up on the Apple AppStore

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Zagato wrote: »
    On the downside it's probably going to lead to tens of thousands of utterly rubbish apps, which will make browsing the market more frustrating

I have to disagree. I think it's going to be a great way for people to come up with useful apps that programmers themselves may not even think of.

This article in the New York Times about it gives some good examples. The nursing student who creates an app that notifies a carer if someone falls over is something which is a)useful enough to others that I can see at least some people wanting to download it and b)is an idea which may not have come about if that nursing student wasn't given the tools to do it like this.

So a parent of a child with autism could themselves develop an android equivalent of the Grace iPhone app for communicating with their child (except maybe more useful as it's more customizable for their needs).

Of course there may be a problem with crap apps flooding the market. But 90% of the apps that are out there now are probably crap, so I don't see it as much of a change. Perhaps a way around it would be to have a seperate market within the main market for the apps developed this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It costs $25 to register to put your apps on the Android Market, I can't see many people developing what will largely be crap apps bothering to pay the money to put them on the market tbh. I don't think it will have any impact at all tbh.

People will write personal apps for them and their friends, I don;t see them troubling the marketplace.

Any idea when it will launch? I can only register my interest at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I think it looks pretty cool and I'd be interested to try it out. While I agree there is a bit of a risk of the market being flooded with crap theres always the chance of something good coming out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

This is good news, there is already a lot of muck in the market anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

This is great news - Even for developers especially those not into Java - we have a greate platform to build on with this - then can edit the code directly for more enhanced/powerful functionality. This will aid in some rapid protoyping too for noobs and pros alike!

a typical scenario will be a non developer being able to build a working prototype for presentational purposes to sell or market an idea. I think this is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I don't disagree (sorry about the double negative), I'm sure that this will lead to their being more creative apps, I just think it might flood the market. Probably the answer is to better design the market to make it easier to navigate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Meh, if anyone can sort through that amount of data and rank it and return relevant results, it's Google

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

looks promising in theory, let's see what comes of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I've signed up for the Beta. Still waiting to get my acceptance email. I'm looking forward to it. Anything to get my Masters finished faster. I'm not the strongest programmer, so I hope, and I'm assuming, that I'll be able to view my source code and reverse-learn how to code for Android.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Quality not quantity is what we want though, just cause Apple have 500,bazillion apps on their store does not make it better.

To be honest even if the market place does fill up with crap I think it’ll be a good thing in the long run. While I do agree with you on the quality verses quantity angle the fact is that for the average user who just doesnt know any better its all about quantity so the more apps we get in the marketplace the more people who'll be willing to buy an android phone over an iphone etc. And the more people we get using android the more likely it is that developers and app companies will start developing for android which will benefit us because we’ll then have a bigger selection of good professional apps to choose from.

...If we can ever manager find them that is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I think it's a great idea, I'd love to able to create my own apps... but I wouldn't want to inflict any on the market, there's enough rubbish on there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Got an email this morning with access, cannot wait to get home and play with out this evening, looks like a very simple process to make them. Anyone else get an email with access yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Still waiting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Watched some of the tutorial demos - it looks like normal programming with a colour coding scheme. You still have to apply programming constructs regardless. It remains to be seen whether the graphical block structure is sufficient to bridge the typical gap between developers low-level work and non-developers who deal with high-level functionality.

Watched some of the tutorial demos - it looks like normal programming with a colour coding scheme. You still have to apply programming constructs regardless. It remains to be seen whether the graphical block structure is sufficient to bridge the typical gap between developers low-level work and non-developers who deal with high-level functionality.
    Well it's perfect for someone like me who hasn't gone near programming in about three years and even then only did some basic c++ and java.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Got an email this morning with access, cannot wait to get home and play with out this evening, looks like a very simple process to make them. Anyone else get an email with access yet?
    Still no sign of it for me. Can you remember, what date did you sign up? And did you specify education etc on the form?

JohnK wrote: »
    Still no sign of it for me. Can you remember, what date did you sign up? And did you specify education etc on the form?
    Sorry man, I have absolutely no idea what I said in the application for it. It was absolutely ages ago, like the day it was announced I think. I'm sure yours will be along shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

just got my mail there, I gave them the bare minimum of info on the form and signed up about 2 or 3 weeks ago

Interesting... pretty sure I signed once I spotted this thread so fingers crossed I get an email soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Got mine last night, again with minimal info, so they must be going main-stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Got my confirmation last night also, I signed up the day it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Damn, still waiting for my email. Signed up on the first day as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Me too :(
    I've been here since the G1 you backstards! :mad:
    /shakey fist

*wanders off to harass google*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Damn, still waiting for my email. Signed up on the first day as well :(

Try going to the more section on your Google account. I did and found the app dev section. Logged in with my id and off we go, create application name.
    This may be a different section of course- got no email about access yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Im in!:D:D:D So long suckers:cool::D:D:D

Couldn't resist!

nereid wrote: »
    Try going to the more section on your Google account. I did and found the app dev section. Logged in with my id and off we go, create application name.
    This may be a different section of course- got no email about access yet.

Thanks, I just went to http://appinventor.googlelabs.com and it asked me to accept the TOS and then I could create projects, I had applied on day 1 but have yet received no email, but I do have access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

anyone fancy sharing out the file required on the qt ;)

Advertisement