Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

ArKl0w wrote: »
    MT's winter forecast this year posted on October 7th is sadly looking very very wrong:(

" something a little similar to 2010-2011 which started out very cold and snowy, then turned much milder. This winter, I am predicting rather cold weather to start, from late November through much of December, and the opportunity for some significant snowfalls. It probably won't be as intense as the cold or snow of late 2010, let's say on the order of two degrees below average and 5-15 cm snowfalls possible in the period (recall that Dec 2010 produced some 30-40 cm falls in Leinster). As usual, this snowfall would be more likely in the eastern half of the country and in some parts of the northwest. "

He mentioned milder weather in January and February so hopefully he has it back to front ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gonzo wrote: »
    doesn't look great tbh, maybe a brief northerly toppler Christmas week, but they deliver SFA to most of us. Nothing remotely easterly on the horizon.

whats with that consistent weird kind of tone you have that infers cold wintry weather west of the shannon implies its useless, if i witness snow and cold weather why is that less significant and more meaningless than somebody else in the east of the country.I just dont get your 'most of us' concentric outlook on things.Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MT's winter forecast this year posted on October 7th is sadly looking very very wrong:(

Ya never know, it was only a "forecast" after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

whats with that consistent weird kind of tone you have that infers cold wintry weather west of the shannon implies its useless, if i witness snow and cold weather why is that less significant and more meaningless than somebody else in the east of the country.I just dont get your 'most of us' concentric outlook on things.Strange.

In fairness to them, population distribution would indicate that 'most of us' are on the east side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

17 degrees in Wales today, warmest December day since 1972

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There's no evidence at all that this mild and / or wet weather will last for the rest of the month. On the contrary most indications are for HP dominated weather by Christmas week. Keep the faith coldies....

To back this up (by way of example only) the latest GFS shows below chart for 20 December (I know its far in FI but its the best guidance we have got right now...). Nothing mild about this.

gfs-1-312.png?12?12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness to them, population distribution would indicate that 'most of us' are on the east side of the country.

I always got that too, even though most of the population is on the east doesn't mean only the weather on the east matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

There's no evidence at all that this mild and / or wet weather will last for the rest of the month. On the contrary most indications are for HP dominated weather by Christmas week. Keep the faith coldies....

To back this up (by way of example only) the latest GFS shows below chart for 20 December (I know its far in FI but its the best guidance we have got right now...). Nothing mild about this.
    To many of us high pressure dominated inversion cold aka faux cold which has no hope of snow,while nice to be out and about in,is boring
    Inversion high pressure cold stifles precipitation and is lifted away in the blink of an eye by incoming precipitation

Boring,Boring,Boring

The thing that crashes this forum with people is the possibility of a true cold that wafts in from places unaffected by the Atlantic mixing i.e. The east / northeast/sometimes the north and the chance of snow
    I say possibility because it often doesn't pan out but there's excitement in 'nearly there's'
    An aul high pressure that eventually sinks into Europe which eventually ends up ensuring westerlies is no good

As blocking goes,I refer to those blocking highs as c0ck blocks because they bloody well are a hindrance not a help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I always got that too, even though most of the population is on the east doesn't mean only the weather on the east matters!

I don't think anyone has ever said that though? I mean, I haven't even seen any comment even vaguely suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

even though mild will dominate the rest of Winter IMO there will be some cooler interludes and you never know.

Very wavy jetstream this year means when we are on the mild side we get exceptionally mild but if we were to go to the cold side for a few days then its back to -7c again like November in Markree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Three days now of this incessant dull wet and mild muck. It really is the worst type of weather. Max temp today 13.3c. The only advantage is the heating is not needed as much and a few bob can be saved.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was working in the rain this morning - all morning. Wet weather gear on but in the wind it still got in wet hands, damp cuffs and collar :( Bleugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

0.4mm from the drought busting rain today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

pauldry wrote: »
    even though mild will dominate the rest of Winter IMO there will be some cooler interludes and you never know.

Very wavy jetstream this year means when we are on the mild side we get exceptionally mild but if we were to go to the cold side for a few days then its back to -7c again like November in Markree.

Mild will dominate the rest of winter?

Absolute nonsense and completely unfounded.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Mild will dominate the rest of winter?

Absolute nonsense and completely unfounded.

Can you tell me how many winters mild hasn't dominated? None I'd say
    That's what that's founded on
    It's not Minnesota we're in :D

Mild will probably lose its domination for a number of days from time to time and anything can happen
    The form horse for snow in Ireland is march and April when it's usually too late to be significant

Mild will probably lose its domination for a number of days from time to time and anything can happen
    The form horse for snow in Ireland is march and April when it's usually too late to be significant

Mild definitely didn't dominate in 2009/2010 or 1962/1963 :)

Ah come on now,there was a week or two of easterly in 2009 that's mild dominating
    November December 2010,an exceptionally rare period gave way to two thirds of mild domination
    I'll give you mid Dec 62 to end February '63 alright
    But the point is rarities cannot be counted on to be examples of the future
    They are not our climate norm
    Sure anything can happen,it is chaos theory
    But the form horse is our normal climate
    Anything else could happen but there's little or nothing in the worth looking at models at this stage pointing to abnormal winter weather for us yet

Ah come on now,there was a week or two of easterly in 2009 that's mild dominating
    November December 2010,an exceptionally rare period gave way to two thirds of mild domination
    Anything else could happen but there's little or nothing in the worth looking at models at this stage pointing to abnormal winter weather for us yet

No way Dec 2009 (2.9C), January 2010 (1.7C), February 2010 (2.7C) averages for my local weather station, Carlow Oak Park. That's 3C below average for the winter as a whole. That's a huge drop. Imagine a summer averages 15.5C and one averaged 18.5C. That has never happened. Infact only one month got over 18.5C i.e. August 1995 at 18.9C.

That winter was dominated by northerlies and north westerlies as well as the 3-4 weeks easterlies. Snow was recorded each month in Carlow, Oak Park.

Another factor of course is regional variation in Ireland. At sea level in Arklow you need an easterly or north easterly to deliver snow.

At my altitude in the south midlands we rarely have a winter without decent snowfall. The local N.S. has already had a day off school for snow in November. I've had days off school 30 years ago in April with snowfall. We can get snow with wind from most directions. Today people were maxing at 14.5-15C. At home 11C was the max.

My location makes it difficult for me to get overly stressed if the weather is mild on the 7th of December. It's been like that many times and we've ended up with enough of the white stuff. I remember this time in December in 2008 was quite mild. We ended up with snow lying from 1st - 23rd February 2009.

A hill climate in any country though is not the same as the countries normal climate where most people live

Aswell as that,periods of anti cyclonic inversion cold don't count in any winter in my book as they won't lead to snow
    Regardless point stands,our weather doesn't do snow normally so expecting it to do so when there's no synoptic build up yet is irrational

But then again,we're all irrational in a weather forum,it's compulsory,I should know:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

A hill climate in any country though is not the same as the countries normal climate where most people live

Aswell as that,periods of anti cyclonic inversion cold don't count in any winter in my book as they won't lead to snow
    Regardless point stands,our weather doesn't do snow normally so expecting it to do so when there's no synoptic build up yet is irrational

But then again,we're all irrational in a weather forum,it's compulsory,I should know:D

Are there any countries with a climate as unextreme and "safe" as ours when it comes to temperature variations? I know places like Iceland are unextreme with regards to variation. The benefit for them though is that their temperature range is lower so that snow (extreme weather) is far more likely

Clear skies and 9.4c here in West Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

That type of clear well thought out and thoroughly logical argument will not go down well here but for my money you've hit the nail on the head completely.

That type of clear well thought out and thoroughly logical argument will not go down well here but for my money you've hit the nail on the head completely.

I don't think the thread ever even bordered on the rational;)

It's seems to always be a thread of hope (despair!) that this is the 1 in 50 year like 1962/63 and 2009/2010:D

Now a mild or relatively mild winter can always give you a decent snowfall. Many examples at lower level. January 1982, January 1987, February 1991, December 2000 (northern half of country), Christmas Day 2004, February 2009 to name but a few mildish winters in the last 35 years with decent snowfall events. There was a mild winter 2010/2011 which had some snow in December iirc.:D

Also there's the problem that southern, eastern and south eastern coastal areas of Ireland see the least amount of snow. While a large percentage of the population live there they are not representative of snowfall on the land mass of the country as a whole.

That's why we all have different perceptions of cold spells. Arkl0w defines a cold spell by prolonged snow which is a good way of describing it. I look at how much colder than average a winter is, e.g. 2009/10 being 3C colder than average and inland areas receiving plenty of snow. We were messaging yesterday and i described how much snow i've seen due to altitude. I neglected to say inland areas at lower level see a fair bit more than on the coast. So there are different perceptions. The gulf stream has a lot to answer for!

But yes we're a hopeful crowd on here hoping it's the 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 year :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Stunning sunny day after the wet gloom of the previous 3 days. Temp 12.1c and even a little warmth in the sun.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic day here too, very mild and unbroken blue skies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

After a dull, sometimes damp start to the day, its cleared up here to a sunny warm afternoon that you'd be happy to have this close to sunset in July or august,14.5 degrees in my part of Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

12 degrees and clear blue skies in Castlebar. not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Still wet and gloomy in Cork....

• Advertisement

Unbroken sunshine from dawn to dusk here in West Clare. Sun down already, and I see a few clouds on the horizon.

Advertisement