Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wont need the gloves after Mon :), Temps picking up early Tues. Weds looking the warmest day.

FiGaUXw.gif?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tues and Weds looking windy especially Weds with possible Gales in the S, SW & W at sea for a time early in the day, blustery on coastal counties .

E4LaoI1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

Took this early this morning, the sky is ominously predicting a turn I think,
    It's from smear hill in north Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Eamondomc wrote: »
    Took this early this morning, the sky is ominously predicting a turn I think,
    It's from smear hill in north Longford.
    Very grey here in North Tipp today with light rain. So the change begins. Once a Southwesterly sets in it's more than likely going to take us up to Xmas. Baa humbug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Very grey here in North Tipp today with light rain. So the change begins. Once a Southwesterly sets in it's more than likely going to take us up to Xmas. Baa humbug.

Yup and make rubbish of all those snowy winter seasonal /lrf forecasts again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Raining here in West Clare! First rain since the 17th of November, 25 days ago! Not having rain for the first 6 days of December is an achievement in itself, nevermind 3 weeks all the way into December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dark, very dark!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain doesn't look too far away, sick of it already and the rain hasn't even started yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wet and miserable here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Escaped the rain here in north meath today, bit of misty auld stuff for an hour, barely wet the ground, getting a bit breezy at the minute and feels colder then i expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Today i noticed the peculiarity of the movement of air,namely wind. It was also strange to see the leaves still blowing down, on a day that felt more like mid October. The two month break from this typical Irish winter weather only highlights stronger how unpleasant it really is. The crystal clear skies and the piercing sun let in the optimum amount of light and even tricked you into thinking the day was longer with the after glow on the horizon after sunset.The lack of light today is most noticeable.

All in all the last two months reminded me of Decembers in Spain,haze on the horizon,lots of sunlight,erie dead calm days that make it feel warmer than it is, and everything preserved in a dry,static sealed vacum.

Along with a pleasant feeling in body and mind.

Escaped the rain here in north meath today, bit of misty auld stuff for an hour, barely wet the ground, getting a bit breezy at the minute and feels colder then i expected

The past 2 days have felt much colder than the proper cold we had over the past 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rain held off in Waterford until about 4.30, now its a very soft day - the sort of drizzle that soaks you in the wind.

Very mild here near Tralee with the highest temp so far today now at 14.4C , quite windy earlier and has eased a bit now coming from the South.Damp as well here but amounts small, some big showers in Tralee Town earlier.

J8hJEe0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Gonzo wrote: »
    The past 2 days have felt much colder than the proper cold we had over the past 2 weeks.
    Today has been the mildest day in about a month in the west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Around 15c tomorrow back to the xmas t shirt I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Such a difference from yesterday in temperature!

finally now it feels much milder, you could almost wear a t-shirt outside it's that mild. Feels like winter 2015/2016 all over again!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I see Met E are going for temperatures to reach 16C in Dublin tomorrow:p... could even exceed??
    Mostly cloudy and breezy tomorrow with occasional light rain or drizzle. A few brighter spells cannot be ruled out though. Exceptionally mild with maximum temperatures of 16 degrees. Fresh or strong south-westerly breezes.

I see Met E are going for temperatures to reach 16C in Dublin tomorrow:p... could even exceed??

I'd believe it, just got up to 14.7C here near Tralee !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

15C at 2am - Finner, Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

14 degrees here in Longford and heavy shower at present. Damn and blast it I feel like going back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Malin head reading 15 degrees at 8am. All other stations reading no less than 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

14.5c
    I suppose there's a reason why the Arctic ice is disappearing.
    (surely we'll never see a December as mild as 2015 again! - we only had to wait ONE year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

s+
    14.5c
    I suppose there's a reason why the Arctic ice is disappearing.
    (surely we'll never see a December as mild as 2015 again! - we only had to wait ONE year!)

Its only the start of the month Elmer there are hints that the second half of the month is to be cooler.--

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

gugsy wrote: »
    s+

Its only the start of the month Elmer there are hints that the second half of the month is to be cooler.--
    Hope so! Here's a quote I saw on netweather this morning which made me smile:
    These so called professionals make me laugh( despair). Do they not know that when we get high pressure this time of the year,nine times out of ten,it migrates into central Europe and sits there for weeks!
    14.9c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

15 degrees in Galway city, balmy!!

gugsy wrote: »
    s+

doesn't look great tbh, maybe a brief northerly toppler Christmas week, but they deliver SFA to most of us. Nothing remotely easterly on the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gonzo wrote: »
    doesn't look great tbh, maybe a brief northerly toppler Christmas week, but they deliver SFA to most of us. Nothing remotely easterly on the horizon.

MT's winter forecast this year posted on October 7th is sadly looking very very wrong:(

" something a little similar to 2010-2011 which started out very cold and snowy, then turned much milder. This winter, I am predicting rather cold weather to start, from late November through much of December, and the opportunity for some significant snowfalls. It probably won't be as intense as the cold or snow of late 2010, let's say on the order of two degrees below average and 5-15 cm snowfalls possible in the period (recall that Dec 2010 produced some 30-40 cm falls in Leinster). As usual, this snowfall would be more likely in the eastern half of the country and in some parts of the northwest. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Coldies don't despair :)

Here are some mild Decembers from Kilkenny met records, back to 1959, that were followed by colder conditions in January or February or both.

1. December 1959 (5.5C), January 1960 (4.2C), February 1960 (3.6C)

2. December 1977 (7.4C), January 1978 (3.8C), February 1978 (3.9C)

3. December 1984 (5.7C), January 1985 (1.7C) and decent snowfall to much of country inc east coast mid month.

4. December 1985 (6.3C), January 1986 (4.4C), February 1986 (1.6C) the coldest month since January 1963 and not surpassed in low temperature average until December 2010. After a December almost 1,5C above normal.

5. December 2000 (5.9C), January 2001 (3.6C) the coldest January since the mid 1980s in many parts. Also the end of February and first week of March saw snow in many parts and temperatures as low as -8C this occurred during the Foot and Mouth outbreak.

Advertisement