Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Cold Breakfast Recommendations

Options
  • 27-07-2014 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

My normal breakfast is a big bowl of porridge - made with water and goats milk, often with some seeds mixed in. I'm finding it too hot at the moment though and am looking at alternatives - can anybody recommend a muesli or some other breakfast that's low sugar and generally healthy?

I tend to eat a hard boiled egg as my mid-morning snack so don't necessarily want to have more eggs for breakfast.

My diet is generally healthy (thankfully I naturally enjoy healthy foods anyway) and I'm not focussed on losing weight - just eating as best I can. I'm looking for something low sugar that will keep me full for a good few hours.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have the porridge. Just don't heat it.

Let it sit in the water and milk for a while before you have it and let the oats soften

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bananas with honey and pistachio nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Good idea on the cold porridge - I'll try that. How long would you let it soak for?

Re. bananas, honey & pistacio nuts - I'm slow to have fruit with breakfast. I used to have bananas with my porridge for years but found recently that fruit can put me on a bit of a sugar roller-coaster all day; so I tend to eat more veg than fruit and have an apple in my juice in the evening instead. I used to eat 4+ pieces of fruit a day but found that my concentration levels went up a lot when I cut down and I wan't snacking as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Herrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Kerryite wrote: »
    Good idea on the cold porridge - I'll try that. How long would you let it soak for?

Re. bananas, honey & pistacio nuts - I'm slow to have fruit with breakfast. I used to have bananas with my porridge for years but found recently that fruit can put me on a bit of a sugar roller-coaster all day; so I tend to eat more veg than fruit and have an apple in my juice in the evening instead. I used to eat 4+ pieces of fruit a day but found that my concentration levels went up a lot when I cut down and I wan't snacking as much.

Mix carbs and proteins. I find if too many slow release carbs are eaten, I get tired very quickly. With porridge (small) in the morning I also eat an egg.. With the above I would also eat an egg, seems to balance out the highs and lows and makes concentration and alertness levels much more balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kerryite wrote: »

I give it an hour or thereabouts. Not sure it needs that long but if you want it sooner you can leave it speaking overnight if you like it that way.

Muesli is basically oats with other bits sprinkled in. Cold porridge is just the same without the added extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I made a nice cold brekfast recently - overnight I soaked oats & almonds (cheap raw skins on ones from Lidl) in almond milk and topped with a layer of frozen raspberries. The oats soak up the milk & the berries defrost over night.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think it's time I made my own muesli - toasted oats, dates, seeds, nuts.... Need to get off my a**!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I've been eating alproya yoghurt, dry porridge and handful of dried berries in the morning. Think it works quite well, yoghurt keeps the whole thing surprisingly moist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've been having some chopped up fruit with 2-3 big dollops of greek yogurt,
    a sprinkle of linseed crunchy stuff (from aldi, but you could use any seed based thing)
    and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.

Gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I can't stomach porridge when it gets warm either.
    Summer breakfast is cold meat/mackerel+cheese+olives/sun dried tomato

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Homemade granola is delicious and really easy.

Or you could try chia seed "porridge" similar texture to regular porridge but cold.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I'm always pushing the cold oats. delicious! The fine particles of oats mix with the milk and it turns into delicious oaty milk

About 50g of oats, splash of freezing cold whole milk and some blueberries is savage. The only downside is you will have it eaten in about a minute flat so its not as satiating as cooked porridge

Thanks for all the suggestions! I pulled my finger out a few days ago and made some muesli with:

Toasted oats
    Chopped dried figs (only a few)
    Raisins
    Sunflower & pumpkin seeds
    Goji berries
    + some milled flaxseed and bran

I've been having this with some goat's milk (to moisten), raspberries, blueberries and one of the small tubs of Glenisk goats yogurt. Delicious!

I still have an egg mid-morning (I have my breakfast around 6am and lunch at 12-1pm-ish, so need a snack) but I'm loving this breakfast :-)

Will try some of the other tips too - thanks!

Advertisement