Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coeliac

Options
  • 22-10-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I just wanted to ask anyone else who is allergic to gluten , are you sensitive to other foods also? I've gluten,dairy, preservative allergies, also have hard time digesting high GI foods, high sugar foods starchy foods and eggs . Does anyone else have a similar situation?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Freefrom wrote: »
    I just wanted to ask anyone else who is allergic to gluten , are you sensitive to other foods also? I've gluten,dairy, preservative allergies, also have hard time digesting high GI foods, high sugar foods starchy foods and eggs . Does anyone else have a similar situation?.

Can you eat meats? My daughter is coeliac. She can eat meat & fish, the less processed the better. There's gluten free versions available as gluten is used as a thickening agent in so many different foods. Maybe try some sweet potato? You could try different types of eggs instead of chicken eggs eg duck, quail etc. veg wise will probably be a case of trial & error but I'd avoid corn at all costs. And tomato. Try drinking milk Kefir. Google it & see. It helps my daughter no end. You can find it in a lot of the polish/Eastern European shops in cartons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I have several allergies. I have to avoid gluten and wheat, also all legumes, that is peas, beans etc. I,m also sensitive to sulfites. ,my worst reaction is to wheat and I have to carry an epipen. Make sure to only buy products that state they are glutenfree. Aldi is my saviour. I live off veg, fruit, meat, fish and dairy and I've never felt better. The aldi glutenfree stuff is great and the crinckle chips are now glutenfree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Freefrom

MattD1349 wrote: »
    Can you eat meats? My daughter is coeliac. She can eat meat & fish, the less processed the better. There's gluten free versions available as gluten is used as a thickening agent in so many different foods. Maybe try some sweet potato? You could try different types of eggs instead of chicken eggs eg duck, quail etc. veg wise will probably be a case of trial & error but I'd avoid corn at all costs. And tomato. Try drinking milk Kefir. Google it & see. It helps my daughter no end. You can find it in a lot of the polish/Eastern European shops in cartons.

Yes I eat organic beef and fish, about 90 per cent I eat organic fruit and vegetables. Thanks for the information about the eggs will try them out. I use almond milk. Is your daughter sensitive to cross contamination? I can't eat out due to this aswell.

I have several allergies. I have to avoid gluten and wheat, also all legumes, that is peas, beans etc. I,m also sensitive to sulfites. ,my worst reaction is to wheat and I have to carry an epipen. Make sure to only buy products that state they are glutenfree. Aldi is my saviour. I live off veg, fruit, meat, fish and dairy and I've never felt better. The aldi glutenfree stuff is great and the crinckle chips are now glutenfree.
    I buy from nourish as its organic gluten free, I forgot to say in my post about cross contamination are you sensitive to that?, Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I now live on my own and rarely eat out. Any restaurant that claims to provide glutenfree has to have a glutenfree kitchen.I am quite ill after crosscontamination from gluten but that could be my wheat allergy. Wheat makes my lips swell and my throat close

• Advertisement

Yes I eat organic beef and fish, about 90 per cent I eat organic fruit and vegetables. Thanks for the information about the eggs will try them out. I use almond milk. Is your daughter sensitive to cross contamination? I can't eat out due to this aswell.

Cross contamination is the bane of our collective lives. We're used to planning meals out in advance as my wife has Crohn's disease.

I now live on my own and rarely eat out. Any restaurant that claims to provide glutenfree has to have a glutenfree kitchen.I am quite ill after crosscontamination from gluten but that could be my wheat allergy. Wheat makes my lips swell and my throat close

I am the same I used to eat out all the time but now it's once every few months if it's not cross contamination it's something else. That's bad about your lips and throat .

MattD1349 wrote: »
    Cross contamination is the bane of our collective lives. We're used to planning meals out in advance as my wife has Crohn's disease.
    That must be hard, I was also wondering does your daughter have a problem with xanthan gum it's a ingredient in gluten free bread and pizzas I react badly to it , I make my own bread now

That must be hard, I was also wondering does your daughter have a problem with xanthan gum it's a ingredient in gluten free bread and pizzas I react badly to it , I make my own bread now

She doesn't seem to have an issue with xanthan thankfully but the wife does however. Causes her Crohn's to flare really badly. With my daughter the hardest thing (for me anyway) was watching the birthday party invites dry up as people didn't want to be responsible if she ate regular birthday cake etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AlfieRamirez

Hi all
    just wondering, for all coeliacs out there, does anybody know if Cadburys Roses are Gluten Free? and which ones in particular
    Im relatively new to this Coeliac lifestyle, so I'm also wondering how strict people are.. for examples I believe that if something says 'may contain wheat', it doesn't and they're just saying that to cover themselves.
    as in cadburys bars, says 'may contain gluten' but no gluten is in the ingredients..

thanks
    Alfie

• Advertisement

Hi all
    just wondering, for all coeliacs out there, does anybody know if Cadburys Roses are Gluten Free? and which ones in particular
    Im relatively new to this Coeliac lifestyle, so I'm also wondering how strict people are.. for examples I believe that if something says 'may contain wheat', it doesn't and they're just saying that to cover themselves.
    as in cadburys bars, says 'may contain gluten' but no gluten is in the ingredients..

thanks
    Alfie

Hi, it would depend on how sensitive you are to cross contamination . I can't eat roses due to milk, preservatives and high sugar in them. Try one and see ? Hersheys chocolate bars, Nestle bars are gluten free

Advertisement