Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog had to be subdued

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RodHull Roofing

Jeez, the experience must be harrowing but take comfort in you did the right thing.
    There were children and the elderly around, you had no option.
    it will probably stay with you for a while (the experience) but it couldnt have been avoided
    Thank God you were in the right place at the right time, otherwise one of the weaker group might not be here this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You did what you had to do. Simple as that.

I think you should post this in BGRH you will be legendary wrestling a Dog to its Death.

Anyways, there is nothing you could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

congrats for being strong enough to do it. it was for the best. i know a few ppl that would want you locked up for this type of thing but they're the same ppl who's pets attack kids on the streets so take of that what you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

fits wrote: »
    (1)A garda is not a dog warden. If you have a problem like this in future, the dog warden is the person to call.

I also have no idea how anyone could catch and snap an aggressive dog's neck.

(2)Hmm could be walter mitty stuff alright.

(1)Dog Wardens are retained by the Local Authority (Control of Dogs Act?)and yes they can lift a dog found running around the street. Jurisdiction on private property is limited. The Gardai did say I had a civil case against the owners but I was unwilling to go down that road.

(2) Tend to agree. Anyone remember ear biting incident in Garp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The OP said bulldog not pit bull. Not the same animal at all.

/ Edit Already mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I also have no idea how anyone could catch and snap an aggressive dog's neck.
    ya maybe if it was an alsatian or rottweiler but a bulldog is relatively small and when dogs are bitting your leg their usually easy enough to get a hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ya maybe if it was an alsatian or rottweiler but a bulldog is relatively small and when dogs are bitting your leg their usually easy enough to get a hold of.

Bulldogs necks are as big as there bodys.

this did not happen, hulk hogan would not snap a bull dogs neck!!! this fella had nothing better to do so wanted to be a hero for the day!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

cowzerp wrote: »

this did not happen, hulk hogan would not snap a bull dogs neck!!! this fella had nothing better to do so wanted to be a hero for the day!

Correct me if i am wrong but are you saying the guy who broke the dogs neck did it just be a hero for the day??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

your a hero.i am a animal lover to and i no if i was in your situation i would hve done the same,but i dont think i would of been that strong.! dont b sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

You did right thing. How would you feel today if you didn't do this and the dog attacked/maimed/killed those girls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

No sign of the OP since the initial post! Makes me a little sceptical!

but does anyone know how much force it would take?Im not saying it would be easy but surely not impossible if you had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I am also quite intrigued about how to snap a bulldogs neck.

Isn't there some thing about separating the dogs front legs apart that works too or was that some urban legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No sign of the OP since the initial post! Makes me a little sceptical!

Possibly becuse I'm in a full time college course and work - doesn't leave much time for posting on here. I posted originally, because I was pissed off at myself for harming an animal, when it could have been restrained another way. And thanks to the rest of you for putting it into perspective. But I have 2 dogs myself (westies), and know that it was someones pet. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back, or to be a 'superhero' for the day, as the keyboard warriors so kindly put it. I'v had one of the girls parents call over and give me a heart-felt thanks, so why would I want a pat on the back from people I'll never meet?

Re: the dog wardens, imo a better option than wasting Gardai time with strays. No luck in tracking down the owners but it was moved from where we had to leave it.

to the other skeptics on here - yes it is possible to break an animals neck if you're angry enough and when a dog has a grip on your hand of course you can get a hold of it. ... quick jerk upwards and twist to the side. No, I'm not proud of it - but I had been bitten in the calf and hand and that with the everyone around shouting or crying I wasn't exactly going to give it a pat on the head. Again, not proud of it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

viciousdog wrote: »
    Possibly becuse I'm in a full time college course and work - doesn't leave much time for posting on here. I posted originally, because I was pissed off at myself for harming an animal, when it could have been restrained another way. And thanks to the rest of you for putting it into perspective. But I have 2 dogs myself (westies), and know that it was someones pet. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back, or to be a 'superhero' for the day, as the keyboard warriors so kindly put it. I'v had one of the girls parents call over and give me a heart-felt thanks, so why would I want a pat on the back from people I'll never meet?

Re: the dog wardens, imo a better option than wasting Gardai time with strays. No luck in tracking down the owners but it was moved from where we had to leave it.

to the other skeptics on here - yes it is possible to break an animals neck if you're angry enough and when a dog has a grip on your hand of course you can get a hold of it. ... quick jerk upwards and twist to the side. No, I'm not proud of it - but I had been bitten in the calf and hand and that with the everyone around shouting or crying I wasn't exactly going to give it a pat on the head. Again, not proud of it ...

Fair enough, I can accept that!;) and fair play, I am a dog lover myself but see nothing wrong in your actions!

viciousdog wrote: »

Did not happen, maybe you dreamed it, too many films for you-it would be hard enough to snap your westies neck never mind a bulldog, your a dreamer,

i do chokes and neck cranks(judo type stuff) and your ripping at peoples necks in a powerful manner and noboddy breaks there necks,

bulldogs necks are way more thick and poerful than a humans-also the dog would not just die!! it would be paralysed and in pain and would need to be put down after.

cant wait for your next epic!! maybe it could compete with lord of the rings!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are you sure it was a bulldog and not an english bull terrier, or staffordshire bull terrier?

Its just that bulldogs are quite rare.

Are you sure it was a bulldog and not an english bull terrier, or staffordshire bull terrier?

Its just that bulldogs are quite rare.

My guess was that it was invisible and he was asleep so it could of been any of the 3 during the dream! anyone who believes this is insane! the whole story is crazy, why is he doing it in a hidden name? because its obvious that it is just a laugh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Cowzerp: take time out, calm down or whatever. If you want to rant, rant somewhere else. You have mnde you point

bulldogs necks are way more thick and poerful than a humans-also the dog would not just die!! it would be paralysed and in pain and would need to be put down after.
    a broken neck can kill instantly if the spinal cord is severed or if the nerves to the heart and lungs are damaged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

milkerman wrote: »
    Sadly, not always the case. Some years ago my neighbours dog got loose and came into my place (crapping by the cubic metre)and bit me when I tried to chase him home. I went to the neighbour and told them and they laughed it off. I went to the local Garda and basically he said that as there were no previous complaints the dog was given the benefit of the doubt, 'first bite' was the exact expression.

I think I read in some law book that "a dog is entitled to their first bite"
    Now I know my post will be corrected by some legal eagle but law books definitly mention "first bite" in them. Maybe that is what the garda was referring to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What was done with the dog's body OP?

Advertisement