Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Knowing Top Gear it was staged.
    Come now, nobody watches it for realism. It's the Major Gowen-style racism that people are drawn to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Come now, nobody watches it for realism. It's the Major Gowen-style racism that people are drawn to.

That's just what the politicaly correct feminazi atheist gay agenda Muslim apologist brigade want you to think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not sure- he did a pretty good job at snapping the derailleur on the Di2.

Cos he gives a fiddlers about that! Everything they do is staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Cos he gives a fiddlers about that! Everything they do is staged.

Yeah, normally I'd agree - but trying to stage a fall in the middle of St Petersburg?

You're kind of relying on a lot of Russians to respect his space when he tumbles - I'm not sure you can bank on their forbearance!

It was noticeable that they were unwilling to take the pi$$ out of the Russkies the way they've taken the pi$$ out of other nationalities in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Was reading a Peppa Pig book to my near 3 year old son, Peppa and George were on bikes....

'Daddy, Peppa & George are very bold'

'Why?'

'Because they are not wearing helmets on their bikes!'

What can I say?

On an unrelated but related note - do any of you sneak rides on your kids flickers, they are great craic, pity they weren't around in my day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Top Gear.......Richard Hammond just found out why you don't cycle near tram tracks......an expensive fall by the looks of it!

I winced when I saw the sheared derailleur. A beautiful piece of kit ruined by Hammond's incompetence. As soon as he crossed onto the tram tracks I knew it was going to be trouble.

Was reading a Peppa Pig book to my near 3 year old son, Peppa and George were on bikes....

'Why?'

'Because they are not wearing helmets on their bikes!'

What can I say?
    The programme makers have fixed this. They reanimated the early programmes to add helmets (and seat belts for the car journeys) and all future programmes and merchandising will feature them in the first place.

There is a stockpile of merchandise and DVDs produced before the change still out there where they don't have helmets though.

'Why?'

'Because they are not wearing helmets on their bikes! Silly Daddy'

FYP :D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The programme makers have fixed this. They reanimated the early programmes to add helmets (and seat belts for the car journeys) and all future programmes and merchandising will feature them in the first place.

There is a stockpile of merchandise and DVDs produced before the change still out there where they don't have helmets though.

I copped the seat belt thing the other day, but its a kids program so I didn't really care as I don't expect my child not too put on a seatbelt because an animated pig didn't.

Little to be doing with their time if someone complained about this.

I copped the seat belt thing the other day, but its a kids program so I didn't really care as I don't expect my child not too put on a seatbelt because an animated pig didn't.

Wanna bet?

One minute their not putting their seatbelts on because the pig didn't......

.........next they're picking people off with a high powered sniper rifle using techniques they've learned from COD!

.......it's a slippery slope......

• Advertisement

Wanna bet?

One minute their not putting their seatbelts on because the pig didn't......

.........next they're picking people off with a high powered sniper rifle using techniques they've learned from COD!

.......it's a slippery slope......

Listen, if I have said it once, I have said it a million times, those Hare Krishnas were not wearing Hi Vis, mounting the payment and running them all over was completely their fault and nowt to do with GTA.

Witnesses that claim I was screaming GOURANGA are clearly liars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Not so funny anymore I am afraid.

Alek wrote: »

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the link between IS and kids camping on CoD?

I am now insisting that they wear full Hi-vis and helmets while jumping in muddy puddles and all pre-nanny state Peppa Pig publications have been burned in a mass eco-friendly bonfire out my back garden. Kids these days....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On an unrelated but related note - do any of you sneak rides on your kids flickers, they are great craic, pity they weren't around in my day.

Ha ha, they're bloody awesome. You can get some speed going with a good hip movements. I think that's why adults are better on them, they've more experience in the hip flexing department.

Children's programme makers seem to take these things very seriously, especially those who produce for the BBC (which doesn't include the Peppa Pig makers). I remember one episode of Something Special (I have small chidren, ok?) where Mr. Tumble has a crash, off screen, and re-emerges to reassure the children that he was unharmed because he was wearing a helmet. Which is a somewhat mixed safety message, if you believe in risk compensation among children.

The Peppa Pig makers did indeed decide to reanimate the early shows because of some parents saying that their kids wouldn't wear seat belts because Peppa Pig didn't. I guess they threw in the helmet thing while they were doing the seat belts, in the spirit of responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Joining because of Call of Duty?
    I remember one episode of Something Special (I have small chidren, ok?)

I can tolerate all kids programs, may even enjoy Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly, but I draw the line at Mister Maker and Something Special, luckily so did my daughter.

I am now insisting that they wear full Hi-vis and helmets while jumping in muddy puddles and all pre-nanny state Peppa Pig publications have been burned in a mass eco-friendly bonfire out my back garden. Kids these days....:)

It's too late for you. Having watched it they will now be convinced that you as the Daddy are a lazy imbecile......

Why Peppa Pig is evil

Daddy Pig is a loving, hard-working father - but he is subject to abuse from Peppa Pig and family every single episode"

Maybe it's not too late to trade them in for fresh set and start from new!

I see a lot of such shows. I have started having detailed opinions, Mark Kermode-style, about them. Help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm not trying to say that playing war games on the computer makes mercenaries from kids. But I believe it creates acceptance (or even glorification) of extreme violence and dehumanization that can help make this decision at later stage.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to say that playing war games on the computer makes mercenaries from kids. But I believe it creates acceptance (or even glorification) of extreme violence and dehumanization that can help make this decision at later stage.

Well based on my small sample study of my two kids and their mates, I think it simply creates acceptance of shouting, arguing, abandoned homework and strange smells in rooms!

Although I do know someone who is in the army and when interviewing a potential recruit he asked him "so, why do you think you'd make a good soldier?" His reply was ".....because I'm boss at Call of Duty."

It was so much simpler in the eighties, when those who were exposed to children's entertainments in the seventies grew up to use cream pies and splurge guns as their weapons of choice.

"Maybe it's not too late to trade them in for fresh set and start from new!"

I'm thinking of some sort of sale & leaseback system whereby we could have them when they being cute & funny, but someone else's problem during tantrums, etc. :)

It was so much simpler in the eighties, when those who were exposed to children's entertainments in the seventies grew up to use cream pies and splurge guns as their weapons of choice.

.......it's a wonder we even survived such a dangerous time in human evolution....

from "Magnets, Bulbs and Batteries (A Ladybird Junior Science Book)"

Yay - a proper kids book that teaches you how to strip batteries and complete a circuit with your tongue.......

Tongue-Tester_3171645b.jpg

Children's programme makers seem to take these things very seriously, especially those who produce for the BBC (which doesn't include the Peppa Pig makers). I remember one episode of Something Special (I have small chidren, ok?) where Mr. Tumble has a crash, off screen, and re-emerges to reassure the children that he was unharmed because he was wearing a helmet. Which is a somewhat mixed safety message, if you believe in risk compensation among children.

The Peppa Pig makers did indeed decide to reanimate the early shows because of some parents saying that their kids wouldn't wear seat belts because Peppa Pig didn't. I guess they threw in the helmet thing while they were doing the seat belts, in the spirit of responsibility.

I think risk compensation is the biggest issue, if you want your kids to wear a helmet, then make them, but don't tell them it will protect from harm in a crash as then they don't see the harm in having a crash. I remember one poster finding his kid ramming the kerb as the helmet now protected her.

If my kid doesn't want to wear his seat belt, he will shortly find out what the phrase "tough ****" means and that he is wearing his seat belt, whether he likes it or not. So far its not an issue but if it becomes one, it will be his issue.

Bit of a twitter spat between sticky bottle and Paul Kimmage about their recent Pat McQuaid interview.

STlQpGd.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Magnets used to be wussy but modern rare earth magnets are seriously dangerous to small kids. They can cause tissue death between intestines on trapping it after attracting it together, which is a medical emergency. They've caused deaths unfortunately, and more surprisingly to me teenagers have had to have surgery to remove them after trying to use them as fake tongue piercings and accidentally swallowing them!

eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24084613

On the plus side, magnets are cool and I use them in a hobby of mine but the modern ones are not for kids anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's too late for you. Having watched it they will now be convinced that you as the Daddy are a lazy imbecile......

Why Peppa Pig is evil

Daddy Pig is a loving, hard-working father - but he is subject to abuse from Peppa Pig and family every single episode"

Maybe it's not too late to trade them in for fresh set and start from new!

Hah! You obviously didn't have childhoods scarred by the real horror of Oliver Postgate's sinister Pogle's Wood and Noggin the Nog.

Hah! You obviously didn't have childhoods scarred by the real horror of Oliver Postgate's sinister Pogle's Wood and Noggin the Nog.

The Daleks........ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hah! You obviously didn't have childhoods scarred by .... Noggin the Nog.
    Certainly brings back memories for some of us, as does Muffin the Mule ....

(only the replays though!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement