Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess the Location Thread Rules thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited

Yeah I would have thought that was obvious. I saw the back and forth on the thread but there was not actually any pic from outside of Ireland so didn't see any reason to act on it.

The clue is in the thread title :pac:
    Also in the OP
    There's a popular thread in this forum called Guess the Location (town or village) and the locations are always in Ireland.

So I was thinking, might be fun to have a parallel thread where you can guess the location around the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    Report any that you see and we will sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The pitch one is truly taking the piss all right.

The 1 guess rule has also been flagrantly disregarded by the new and the old.

Unlimited
    enda1 wrote: »
    The 1 guess rule has also been flagrantly disregarded by the new and the old.

Report any that you see and we will sort it.

Unlimited

Agreed but in general I think it has turned into little more than a guessing game. First guess continent then country then city.

Could I suggest that a brief restatement of the rules be made in line with the thread at this stage by a mod, just to cut down on the uncertainty and chatter?

Unlimited
    enda1 wrote: »
    Could I suggest that a brief restatement of the rules be made in line with the thread at this stage by a mod, just to cut down on the uncertainty and chatter?

Done and title updated pointing everyone to post 1

• Advertisement

Unlimited
    How do we feel on this rule?

OP doesn't confirm/deny the country for the first 30 guesses;

This one has been ignored by everyone. Will we abandon/enforce/reduce??

I think that's fair enough in the end.
    The country/continent confirmation in hindsight has ruined it somewhat.

Unlimited
    We'll see how it goes with the rules highlighted anyway. Please report any issues including off topic posting and bickering. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think the first 30 posts is excessive. 20 should be correct in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Unlimited
    Yeah , I think 20 posts is better than 30, its much more realistic to get people to stick to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How do we feel on this rule?

OP doesn't confirm/deny the country for the first 30 guesses;

This one has been ignored by everyone. Will we abandon/enforce/reduce??
    Red Hare wrote: »
    Yeah , I think 20 posts is better than 30, its much more realistic to get people to stick to

Can there also be a time limit on this ?

Some pics are not descriptive enough to narrow it down to a few countries and it could be any of dozens of countries.
    And yes I have been guilty of this.
    And before some get on their high horses, some prominent long term posters have put up some questionable ones too.

Anyway after 24 hours if you are going to have hints why not allow country guesses ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭GBX

jmayo wrote: »
    Can there also be a time limit on this ?

Some pics are not descriptive enough to narrow it down to a few countries and it could be any of dozens of countries.

After 24 hours if you are going to have hints why not allow country guesses ?

I'm agreed on this. Current pic being an example http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96063827&postcount=4009

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Personally I think country guesses should be allowed straight away as it keeps the thread moving along a lot quicker.

If not, at a bare minimum after 24 hours or 10 guesses. Some photos (including ones I put up), could be literally anywhere in North America or Europe.

Unlimited
    If they could be literally anywhere then it is little more than a guessing game whereas I would have thought the point of the game was to closely look at the pics and discover clues that allow 'educated' guessing rather than a scatter gun approach.

I'll amend to 20 guesses or 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As someone who did play the game for a while, I found all players, especially Fred very welcoming. Maybe if some people read the rules it would seem more tolerable?

Also, why delete any posts at all? It leads to a HELL of alot of confusion.

Rules are rules. You can't just decide not to follow them and get annoyed when people cite you for it!

I played the game for a while and I'm sure I may have missed one or two of the rules, but it went on anyway. I don't think people are nit picky

Unlimited
    Haven't been following the thread myself recently but I count 20 deleted posts from 1 user in the last 3 days. Surely it can be understood how confusing that makes the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Haven't been following the thread myself recently but I count 20 deleted posts from 1 user in the last 3 days. Surely it can be understood how confusing that makes the thread?

Could you PM that 1 user asking them not to delete posts? That will avoid any open confrontation and we'll all be hunky dory once more in some small forgotten corner of Cambodia. Tx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Red Kev wrote: »
    Personally I think country guesses should be allowed straight away as it keeps the thread moving along a lot quicker.
    I second that.
    It's a game, make it easy, dynamic and fun.

Advertisement