Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should prostitution be legalised? Or what...

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I’m sure there are even people within that demographic who use prostitutes.
    Naturally. However, I was simply responding to the ridiculous assertion that f*ckbuddies have rendered prostitution obsolete for everyone in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭iptba

The minutes of hearings of this committee can be read in considerable detail here:

Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality - 16/Jan/2013 Table of Contents (http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/JUJ2013011600001?opendocument)

and here:

Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality - 23/Jan/2013 Table of Contents (http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/JUJ2013012300001?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

iptba wrote: »
    The minutes of hearings of this committee can be read in considerable detail here:

Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality - 16/Jan/2013 Table of Contents (http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/JUJ2013011600001?opendocument)

and here:

Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality - 23/Jan/2013 Table of Contents (http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/JUJ2013012300001?opendocument

Very interesting stuff there iptba, thanks for that. Just finished reading the first debate there. What I've read is somewhat disturbing however- while it is obviously difficult to interpret everything just from reading transcripts (and thus lacking an insight into important aspects such as tone of voice and body language etc), it seems the committee had already arrived at a preconceived verdict and were simply going through the motions to make it seems like there was a semblance of public consultation. Look at the grilling and hostility Dr. Whitaker faced compared to the pro-prohibition speakers. Dr Whitaker to her credit responded calmly and coherently and plainly laid out the facts and figures (i.e increase in trafficking in Sweden, success of policies in NZ, failure of policies in Norway) on prostitution for all to see- and correctly came to the conclusion that legal and regulated is the best solution.

The first speaker provided a practically stat-free facile analysis where she attempted to draw a tenuous link between violence against women and prostitution she got off very lightly in terms of questioning.

One thing I found very disturbing was the proposal by Emma Regan to have an "education" (see- propaganda) campaign in schools relating to prostitution. I am firmly opposed to this kind of indoctrination and social conditioning and any other liberal should be too.

One other incident which was both enjoyable and illuminating was the exchange on page 13:

Senator Katherine Zappone: In terms of the submissions received by the committee there has been criticism of the evaluation conducted by the Swedes into their own legislation, particularly that it lacked scientific rigour. Does Ms O'Connor wish to comment?

Ms Monica O'Connor: I have met Anna Skarhed who is a Supreme Court judge.

Senator Katherine Zappone: She was the author of the evaluation.

Perfectly and succinctly sums up the inaccuracy and intellectual dishonesty of the prohibitionist position.

gaffer91 wrote: »
    it seems the committee had already arrived at a preconceived verdict and were simply going through the motions to make it seems like there was a semblance of public consultation.
    Be careful, you may monumentality shake iptba's faith in letter writing...

Policy has been pretty much enacted like this, in Ireland, since probably the mid eighties - not that it was more democratic prior to that, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Cathyht wrote: »
    Objectifying someone to the sum of their body parts, using them in exchange for money, I find this disgusting.

Even outside the sex industry there are many jobs and roles... in the manual industry, army and more... where essentially all we are doing is using people (and paying them) for the use of their bodies for our own ends in one way or another.

It is only your own hang ups / opinions related to the subject of sex that elevates this one job over the others as one to be worried or concerned about. Or disgusted by.

Many people like yourself have an idea of what sex "should be" or for those of a more theistical bent "is meant to be" for.

There is no objective reason outside those subjective impressions of what this "sexual ideal" is meant to be however to single out sex and not army work, packing boxes on a production line, cleaning their toilets or any other role. In all of them the employer or contractor is paying people to use their bodies in ways that benefits or pleases them or furthers their aims and agendas.
    Cathyht wrote: »
    I am astonished there could possibly be demand for paid sex.

So what? This is a thread about whether it should be legal or not. Your astonishment is entirely irrelevant to that discussion.

I, for example, am astonished that in a time of easily achieved medical knowledge and readily available facts and figures on the internet that there could possible be demand for cigarettes.

Has my personal astonishment got anything to do with the ethics, morality or legality of the tobacco industry?

Not in the slightest. No.

Just because YOU can not get your head around why people would purchase a product in no way validates the extrapolation that therefore that product must be "abuse, control, sadism or depravity". And how you imagine you would treat a prostitute in no way licenses you to extrapolate that is how all customers do.

This attitude of "If people do not want what I want, the way I want, then they must be sick on some level" is the problem here. Not prostitutes or their customers. Work on it for us please. Society would benefit from a reduction of it.

From today's Sunday Times (only part of the article is free online):
    Oireachtas wants to name and shame buyers of sex

The payment of a prostitute for sex will become illegal in Ireland if the government adopts recommendations expected to be agreed by the Oireachtas justice committee on Wednesday.

TDs and senators will make a final decision on proposals for a two-tiered regime of on-the-spot fines and name-and-shame court appearances for those who use prostitutes.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1261624.ece

Prime Time covered it a bit on the show on Tuesday:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2014/0122/499474-prime-time-tuesday-21st-january-2014/

A campaign to criminalise the men who buy sex is gaining momentum, but will it bring an end to prostitution or simply deny woman a valid choice and put them at further risk?

Watch at: http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2014/0122/499474-prime-time-tuesday-21st-january-2014/#

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sid Fletcher

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26261221
    _73103873_europe_prostitution_464.gif

It won't be long until the progressive countries like Germany come under pressure from the prudish proponents of the Swedish model. Encouraging to see the poll results here however.

They left out Switzerland and Lichtenstein.
    It won't be long until the progressive countries like Germany come under pressure from the prudish proponents of the Swedish model.
    German attitudes are more pragmatic and far less moralistic and from what I can see most Germans are pretty much in favour of regulated legal prostitution.

Additionally the Federal and the various Bundeslander governments research and produce reports in the area on a regular basis, which tend to show that while it has it's problems, it's better than the criminalized alternative. In countries where criminalization is being considered, research is almost exclusively being supplied by those campaigning for criminalization, which naturally leads to a severe bias in the debate.
    Encouraging to see the poll results here however.
    Poll results are irrelevant; who has the better lobby group is what wins things in Ireland. From what I gather, when a panel was set up on it, they excluded sex workers from appearing before it, because they opposed criminalization. I expect it'll get pushed through, in some form or other.

• Advertisement

Poll results are irrelevant; who has the better lobby group is what wins things in Ireland. From what I gather, when a panel was set up on it, they excluded sex workers from appearing before it, because they opposed criminalization. I expect it'll get pushed through, in some form or other.

As soon as Shatter is eventually (and deservedly) removed then the law will be brought in quickly enough unfortunately.

As soon as Shatter is eventually (and deservedly) removed then the law will be brought in quickly enough unfortunately.
    I thought Shatter was in favour of criminalization of the clients of prostitution? Are you sure you're not confusing him with Stagg?

I thought Shatter was in favour of criminalization of the clients of prostitution? Are you sure you're not confusing him with Stagg?

Shatter has no interest in doing anything in relation to it and has the justice committees recommendations effectively shelved for the foreseeable future. The pressure for the law being implemented will come from Labour and the more conservative wing of FG. When FF and or SF get into power they will push through criminalisation too so it is only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Yes it should, better for everyone involved,

Advertisement